Just fire Fritz

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Lutzow46
Ripple

I have said it before, but schools that have done well in Texas include Baylor, TCU and SMU. Enrollment similar to Tulane's. Not every year of course, but they have a good alumni and fan base. My daughter is going to TCU. Amazing how a small school can fill Amon Carter Stadium. Daughter plays tennis and their facilities are excellent. Tulane should be emulating such successful schools, but the university lost its way many decades ago and is dropping out of the race. Fell behind and it will be impossible to catch up in this marathon. We don't have a Fertitta in New Orleans. Fort Worth is much bigger now than N.O. And 50 years ago it was just a small city. I think there are a lot of factors that you guys are overlooking. Not just the school itself.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

This team has quit on him and his incompetent staff. It's over for him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Team quit after Ole Miss game and Hurricane effect.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Fritz needs it to be fired, his hiring of a "DC" in name only, employing his Son as "talent scout- recruiting guru" ..... the hiring of a "grad assistant" as OL coach....the numerous "in game brain fart decisions" that have been on display.... all call for a "firing with cause" ...oh yeah, while I am at it, fire TD as well, just look at the "on field-court" results, nothing more be said
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 am Fritz needs it to be fired, his hiring of a "DC" in name only, employing his Son as "talent scout- recruiting guru" ..... the hiring of a "grad assistant" as OL coach....the numerous "in game brain fart decisions" that have been on display.... all call for a "firing with cause" ...oh yeah, while I am at it, fire TD as well, just look at the "on field-court" results, nothing more be said
The powers that be are going to follow the Cowan/Dickson blue print first. They pushed for this new conference because they think Tulane will be able to compete in it. Don’t try to strengthen the program , just weaken the surroundings. They’ll fire after finishing behind rice in the new conference, or drop to fcs.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Lutzow46 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:19 pm I have said it before, but schools that have done well in Texas include Baylor, TCU and SMU. Enrollment similar to Tulane's. Not every year of course, but they have a good alumni and fan base. My daughter is going to TCU. Amazing how a small school can fill Amon Carter Stadium. Daughter plays tennis and their facilities are excellent. Tulane should be emulating such successful schools, but the university lost its way many decades ago and is dropping out of the race. Fell behind and it will be impossible to catch up in this marathon. We don't have a Fertitta in New Orleans. Fort Worth is much bigger now than N.O. And 50 years ago it was just a small city. I think there are a lot of factors that you guys are overlooking. Not just the school itself.
Very valid points. The other day I was trying to think of another university in Tulane’s situation—where most of the grads leave the locale where they go to college. I can’t readily think of one. Tulane did lose its way decades ago when it stopped focusing on New Orleans and Louisiana students. It’s not coincidence that Tulane’s slide has run parallel with the decline of N.O. Instead of mutually supporting each other, they have declined separately. Every other regional city that has grown past N.O., like Ft. Worth, have a major university, or two, feeding graduates into it. Graduates that want to stay. It’s a really unique problem that Tulane has gotten itself into. And over the past 20 years, Tulane has doubled down on this approach by accepting more and more foreign students willing to pay full tuition—that will also come back to bite them in the long run.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:29 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 am Fritz needs it to be fired, his hiring of a "DC" in name only, employing his Son as "talent scout- recruiting guru" ..... the hiring of a "grad assistant" as OL coach....the numerous "in game brain fart decisions" that have been on display.... all call for a "firing with cause" ...oh yeah, while I am at it, fire TD as well, just look at the "on field-court" results, nothing more be said
The powers that be are going to follow the Cowan/Dickson blue print first. They pushed for this new conference because they think Tulane will be able to compete in it. Don’t try to strengthen the program , just weaken the surroundings. They’ll fire after finishing behind rice in the new conference, or drop to fcs.
compete in the new conference ?..hell they have losing records versus FAU, UTSA and UAB..... UTSA is in the top 25.....UAB is better than UH, if played, I give them a solid shot at beating SMU.....FAU has better lookin' co-eds, and beach front property...so, how the hell are they goin' to "compete"...they haven't yet
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and one other FYI.....Tulane has an overall losing record versus Rice ( 20-15-1)....Rice has won the last three times they have played. Now, how are they going to compete ?!...4 teams enter, and Tulane has a losing record against 3 of them
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:00 am
compete in the new conference ?..hell they have losing records versus FAU, UTSA and UAB..... UTSA is in the top 25.....UAB is better than UH, if played, I give them a solid shot at beating SMU.....FAU has better lookin' co-eds, and beach front property...so, how the hell are they goin' to "compete"...they haven't yet
I said “think” they can compete
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:57 am

Problem is no one is interested in seeing us “compete” against that crap. It’s over.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:01 am
Problem is no one is interested in seeing us “compete” against that crap. It’s over.
TPS, with all respect, Tulane is the "krap"
sader24
Tsunami

This season combined with the performance of the other main sports and Troy Dannen believing 6-6 meant he had fixed football calls for a house cleaning. Dannen and Fritz both have to go. Hire an AD from a major SEC school if they are nuts enough to take it.
msdos
Swell

Fritz is a JV level coach and we're better off without him yes. But Dannen is the real dumbass here, giving such a long extension to a 6-6 shitbird
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:01 am
Exactly.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

I think they’ll be happy to get rid of us. Nobody else gives a shit
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:58 am
Lutzow46 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:19 pm I have said it before, but schools that have done well in Texas include Baylor, TCU and SMU. Enrollment similar to Tulane's. Not every year of course, but they have a good alumni and fan base. My daughter is going to TCU. Amazing how a small school can fill Amon Carter Stadium. Daughter plays tennis and their facilities are excellent. Tulane should be emulating such successful schools, but the university lost its way many decades ago and is dropping out of the race. Fell behind and it will be impossible to catch up in this marathon. We don't have a Fertitta in New Orleans. Fort Worth is much bigger now than N.O. And 50 years ago it was just a small city. I think there are a lot of factors that you guys are overlooking. Not just the school itself.
Very valid points. The other day I was trying to think of another university in Tulane’s situation—where most of the grads leave the locale where they go to college. I can’t readily think of one. Tulane did lose its way decades ago when it stopped focusing on New Orleans and Louisiana students. It’s not coincidence that Tulane’s slide has run parallel with the decline of N.O. Instead of mutually supporting each other, they have declined separately. Every other regional city that has grown past N.O., like Ft. Worth, have a major university, or two, feeding graduates into it. Graduates that want to stay. It’s a really unique problem that Tulane has gotten itself into. And over the past 20 years, Tulane has doubled down on this approach by accepting more and more foreign students willing to pay full tuition—that will also come back to bite them in the long run.
Tulane wouldn’t be “Tulane” if it focused on in-state students - the application pool, the ACT/SATs, the GPAs, the US New rank, the other rankings, the social reputation, etc. would all not be where they are now if Tulane had 20%+ of its class from Louisiana.

This has a good breakdown of that class: https://admission.tulane.edu/apply/gett ... ss-profile
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:45 am
Tulane wouldn’t be “Tulane” if it focused on in-state students - the application pool, the ACT/SATs, the GPAs, the US New rank, the other rankings, the social reputation, etc. would all not be where they are now if Tulane had 20%+ of its class from Louisiana.

This has a good breakdown of that class: https://admission.tulane.edu/apply/gett ... ss-profile
Go pickup any Tulane yearbook from the 40’s, 50’s 60’s and even 70’s. We had over 50% from Louisiana. At some point later they decided to raise tuition and price out locals.
Tulane Class of 1981
Oh Brother
Low Tide

If Fitts, forget Dannen he’s off looking for an asst AD job somewhere, would deduct $1000 for each point allowed by Fritz’s “defense” over the season we might get him to a salary level he richly deserves. The old JV coach has milked us for all he’s worth and our administration was only too eager to reward him for reaching a now distant level of mediocrity in a G5 league.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:33 am

Go pickup any Tulane yearbook from the 40’s, 50’s 60’s and even 70’s. We had over 50% from Louisiana. At some point later they decided to raise tuition and price out locals.
And that was before both the rankings and the internet were introduced. A senior in high school in New York with a 32 ACT and a 3.7 high school gpa that’s open to going to school outside the northwest has Tulane on their radar - that wasn’t true in the 70s.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:01 pm

And that was before both the rankings and the internet were introduced. A senior in high school in New York with a 32 ACT and a 3.7 high school gpa that’s open to going to school outside the northwest has Tulane on their radar - that wasn’t true in the 70s.
Different metrics were used to rank. We were in the 30’s when I entered Tulane in the ‘70’s.
How has that helped us?
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 am and one other FYI.....Tulane has an overall losing record versus Rice ( 20-15-1)....Rice has won the last three times they have played. Now, how are they going to compete ?!...4 teams enter, and Tulane has a losing record against 3 of them
Yep! We do not have a healthy nose to turn up at anyone of those teams. Our nose is bloody!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:10 pm
Different metrics were used to rank. We were in the 30’s when I entered Tulane in the ‘70’s.
How has that helped us?
Well, US News began ranking colleges in 1983 with a small group that expanded from over time. Tulane didn’t appear in those rankings until 1996, where it was ranked #38*. Who had Tulane in the 30’s in the 1970s?

*https://publicuniversityhonors.com/2017 ... 1983-2007/
Bigschtick
Riptide

sader24 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:31 am This season combined with the performance of the other main sports and Troy Dannen believing 6-6 meant he had fixed football calls for a house cleaning. Dannen and Fritz both have to go. Hire an AD from a major SEC school if they are nuts enough to take it.
Lets get rid of Fitts while we are at it. If anybody thinks we will not be at the bottom of the new AAC, they need their head examined.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:44 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:10 pm

How has that helped us?
Well, US News began ranking colleges in 1983 with a small group that expanded from over time. Tulane didn’t appear in those rankings until 1996, where it was ranked #38*. Who had Tulane in the 30’s in the 1970s?

*https://publicuniversityhonors.com/2017 ... 1983-2007/
I’ll have to dig up old paperwork. I remember researching rankings when I applied for a few schools back then. I tried Google but no luck.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That’s just another rendition of Tulane’s applications game. Of the 4,430 they accepted, how many actual will attend Tulane? They don’t even give you the number that will enroll as freshmen—because they don’t want you to be able to calculate the yield. And it’s not clear whether the SAT/ACT data represents the applicants or those that will eventually attend.

And frankly, even if that data does represent the incoming class, I would trade a tripling of the acceptance rate, and several hundred points on the SAT/ACT averages to have students and future alums willing to stay in N.O. and visibly support the university for the rest of their lives. It would also greatly help N.O. I’m pretty sure we could find 900 decent candidates, from Louisiana, to fill 50% of the freshman class. The problem is that Tulane can’t get off of the high-tuition treadmill at this point.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana