Teams being considered for the Big 12?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:25 am WTF, Gonzaga being courted for the Big 12, no football, 6,000 seat basketball areana, 2,000 seat baseball field? Who said facilities matter??? Amid the college football expansion and conference realignment talk this offseason, the Big 12 has taken center stage with what appear to be ambitious expansion plans, and now another school has moved into the league's zone of interest as Gonzaga has emerged as a new candidate for membership, according to SI.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 475a&ei=11
There is nothing new about this. Yormark has been playing footsies with Gonzaga for a number of months now. It's all part of his coast-to-coast and basketball obsessions. I continue to wonder what many of the legacy Big 12 schools think of this.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

Talk now seems to be on Memphis perhaps being a target for the Big 12. I have not seen any mention of Tulane in months. I don't see any momentum from the athletic department related to the great upset of USC either.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I don’t think USF, Miami, and ND being added to the AAU bodes well…
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Posted by CFN about 3 hours ago. Sounds like the chances of Colorado and Arizona bolting to the Big 12 are growing--which also implies that Klivakoff continues to struggle putting together an acceptable media package. So if Colorado and Arizona jump to the Big 12, what does the PAC do? What do we do if we get a PAC invite? If the PAC doesn't completely fall apart, they'll presumably need at least four new teams, and certainly CSU would almost surely be one of them. SDSU, SMU, CSU and us?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... d6ad&ei=12
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:46 am Posted by CFN about 3 hours ago. Sounds like the chances of Colorado and Arizona bolting to the Big 12 are growing--which also implies that Klivakoff continues to struggle putting together an acceptable media package. So if Colorado and Arizona jump to the Big 12, what does the PAC do? What do we do if we get a PAC invite? If the PAC doesn't completely fall apart, they'll presumably need at least four new teams, and certainly CSU would almost surely be one of them. SDSU, SMU, CSU and us?

Arizona, and no Arizona State....don't know if that will fly politically in the valley of the sun.......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:46 am Posted by CFN about 3 hours ago. Sounds like the chances of Colorado and Arizona bolting to the Big 12 are growing--which also implies that Klivakoff continues to struggle putting together an acceptable media package. So if Colorado and Arizona jump to the Big 12, what does the PAC do? What do we do if we get a PAC invite? If the PAC doesn't completely fall apart, they'll presumably need at least four new teams, and certainly CSU would almost surely be one of them. SDSU, SMU, CSU and us?

I saw that and have seen other alleged "well-sourced" guaranteed moves that never happened. Journalism is no longer about information, it's about clicks.
RobertM320
Green Wave

My guess would be, if it ultimately did turn out to only be two, that we'd definitely see SDSU, SMU, Tulane and CSU go to the PAC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

From this SI article it sounds like the ACC may soon be in chaos, and the Big 12 moving their attention to a couple of those teams--leaving ASU and Utah in the PAC. Could Tulane be in play for either the runt PAC or runt ACC? Decisions, decisions.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cf ... ona-report
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just a rehash of Swaim's tweets. I follow him on Twitter. He's just speculating and he's a pro Big12 anti-PAC12 guy. Take it with several grains of salt.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The demise of the ACC this week is counter-balanced by last week's "news" that the ACC was going to divide post-season money (bowl games, TV for Hoops Tournament, etc.) based upon generation of such revenue. All of this is "old news" and nothing has really changed other than a bunch of writers have earned a paycheck. The ACC is no closer to falling apart than it was last fall, and might be even stronger as those that wanted out are realizing it's fiscally close to impossible until the middle of the 2030's.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Greeniegb
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:47 pm

I saw that and have seen other alleged "well-sourced" guaranteed moves that never happened. Journalism is no longer about information, it's about clicks.
Going to the PAC 12 would be like going down a black hole, this talk must end because it is not right for Tulane and at best would be a transition costing the University needed funds for facilities. ACC may be no better, fighting to join two conferences that could be history in a couple of years is foolish!!! Let this shake out to see what is our best avenue toward the future this mix bag and uncertainty is not where we need to be!!! Grow within the AAC and dominate and they will come to us versus us begging them, rediculous!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbg coming on and telling us again that the PAC 12 is a mistake is more predictable than the sun coming up in the East. I guess he thinks nobody but he believes the Big 12 is our best chance.

Fact is, most, if not all of us share that view. But many of us feel that we are WAY down on the Big 12's shopping list. Despite how attracted we are to the Big 12, we seem to be the ugly step sister to them. So the rest of us would LEAP THROUGH WINDOWS to get out of the AAC, even if it's into a PAC 12 that might dissolve in the next decade or so.

I could take the same stance as gbg does with the Big 12 with my choice being the SEC. We really shouldn't take or talk to any conference except the SEC, it would offer the best fit financially and geographically for Tulane. In that light, it's nonsense to dream about the Big 12. It could die before they ever get around to inviting Tulane, it's not a great geographic fit (compared to the SEC) and the money is much less.

gbg, given the paragraph immediately above, do you understand why the broken record is old after it was played just one or two times?
anEngineer
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:16 pm Just a rehash of Swaim's tweets. I follow him on Twitter. He's just speculating and he's a pro Big12 anti-PAC12 guy. Take it with several grains of salt.
Again, these guaranteed, well-sourced stories are total speculation by people looking for clicks during a slow sports season. I don't believe ANYTHING until it happens.
Greeniegb
Swell

Big Ten Reportedly 'Vetted' 10 Schools For Possible Expansion
Things are getting wild hold on to your horses fans!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 9cba8&ei=7
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

“My prediction is that we’re all going to stay together,” Robbins said, via Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger. Robbins also noted that he’s hopeful the deal will be “good enough to keep us together.
So Zona is good as gone to the Big12.
Ruski
Swell

Report: Big 12 commissioner makes site visit to Memphis

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sport ... ealignment
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:18 pm Report: Big 12 commissioner makes site visit to Memphis

This was all to get a BIG12 expense paid trip, he really went to Memphis to visit Graceland
Ruski
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:42 pm
Ruski wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:18 pm Report: Big 12 commissioner makes site visit to Memphis

This was all to get a BIG12 expense paid trip, he really went to Memphis to visit Graceland
Playing everyone like a fiddle. Yormark is running laps around the other conferences. Re-alignment along wth their push into Mexcio, he's making the rest of the bunch looks like a bunch of dofus'.
RobertM320
Green Wave

PAC12 members agree to conference wide grant of rights. Which would be a bit strange in any of the schools had one foot out the door, wouldn't you think?

https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/07/p ... -of-rights
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:21 pm PAC12 members agree to conference wide grant of rights. Which would be a bit strange in any of the schools had one foot out the door, wouldn't you think?

It would seem unlikely, but a GOR might also be the final straw to get any teetering PAC12 member to punch out. Frankly, if Yormark is sniffing around Memphis, that more than anything else tells me his PAC12 raid isn't panning out--and basketball continues to be his obsession.
Greeniegb
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:26 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:21 pm PAC12 members agree to conference wide grant of rights. Which would be a bit strange in any of the schools had one foot out the door, wouldn't you think?

It would seem unlikely, but a GOR might also be the final straw to get any teetering PAC12 member to punch out. Frankly, if Yormark is sniffing around Memphis, that more than anything else tells me his PAC12 raid isn't panning out--and basketball continues to be his obsession.
Come on Coach Hunter now it looks like basketball may be our ticket to the Big 12, Conference Championship in basketball may be the key. Beat Memphis!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:01 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:26 pm

Come on Coach Hunter now it looks like basketball may be our ticket to the Big 12, Conference Championship in basketball may be the key. Beat Memphis!!!
Beat Florida Atlantic, as the conference championship likely goes through the Owls.
anEngineer
Riptide

Coach Hunter has beaten Memphis; quite a bit. I would still contend that no one wants Memphis. They are a crappy commuter college. They have a football program that has settled into mediocre. They have a basketball coach with a name who can't really coach but gets a few one and done talents. There facilities are terrible. They can claim to be upgrading, but it's terrible now. Their media production is so backward, it can't meet ESPN+ requirements to stream a weekend baseball series. They aren't fooling anyone who knows what they are looking for.