Teams being considered for the Big 12?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Win the conference. Make it a reality. Mods merge as necessary.

austxwave
High Tide

lost me at Southern Miss being under consideration too
RobertM320
Green Wave

"look for visits and/or discussions to take place with Tulane, SMU and possibly even Southern Mississippi. Sources say there's a method to this madness and while on the surface many won't see or understand the appeal, ESPN will have its hand in which teams would be added."

I think you have to read between the lines here. The two key points I take from this are "there's a method to this madness" and ESPN having a hand in it. To me, both of those bode well for Tulane. ESPN knows New Orleans is a destination market, and if added to the Big 12, would immediately compete with Houston as a potential home for a conference championship game. It would also strengthen the Big 12 to help bridge the gap between UCF and the rest of the conf.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jaxwave
Swell

I'll believe it when I see it and not a nanosecond before.
Ruski
Swell

After the OU game we had a ton of hype and electricity around the program......we had maybe a dozen extra posters here/the AAC board. YOGWF has maybe another couple of dozen. The city doesn't give a shit about this program. The only buzz around this athletic program comes from Reddit/Twitter when we release some sweet new uniforms.

Until the program wins some signature games, gets some buy-in from the city, and the student body actually identifies with the teams beyond attending a few quarters of football over their 4 years of enrollment.......Tulane athletics aint going anywhere.

The move to streaming, instead of cable tv is going to reward the ECU/App States way more than the Tulanes. With streaming you need an actual rabid community that turn up to games and tune into the live broadcast. We don't "carry the New Orleans market" anymore than WYES.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I have a question about "streaming"...where does the "streaming" feed originate from
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

Ruski wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:09 am After the OU game we had a ton of hype and electricity around the program......we had maybe a dozen extra posters here/the AAC board. YOGWF has maybe another couple of dozen. The city doesn't give a shit about this program. The only buzz around this athletic program comes from Reddit/Twitter when we release some sweet new uniforms.

Until the program wins some signature games, gets some buy-in from the city, and the student body actually identifies with the teams beyond attending a few quarters of football over their 4 years of enrollment.......Tulane athletics aint going anywhere.

The move to streaming, instead of cable tv is going to reward the ECU/App States way more than the Tulanes. With streaming you need an actual rabid community that turn up to games and tune into the live broadcast. We don't "carry the New Orleans market" anymore than WYES.
You kind of defeat your own argument. You are right that it is no longer nearly as important about the local response as it is about the streaming value. Tulane does create a buzz nationally because it is a more competitive product that has been dormant and they do take advantage of the logo and uniform marketing. They are truly a throwback product. Oregon rode the uniform thing to national prominence 20 years ago. It's worth a try if you can also win.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:09 am
I gave up on undergrad and broad alumni support decades ago. When I was an undergrad in the early/mid 80's apathy towards Tulane athletics was the norm. It hasn't changed one iota, at minimum through the opening of Yulman. I know very few recent alumni, but most alumni that I meet outside of my circle of friends are clueless about Tulane sports. As a matter of fact, I've met a few recently that graduated at the beginning of this century that became Saints fans in the wake of Katrina, but didn't become followers of Tulane athletics whatsoever.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:33 pm I'll believe it when I see it and not a nanosecond before.
Exactly and unless Tulane decides to UPGRADE its athletic facilities and its programs, we
will be the Vanderbilt of the league. As it stands now, noway are we anywhere near being a quality team in that conference if it happens. I would like to see us perform better in the AAC first!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:51 am
Jaxwave wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:33 pm I'll believe it when I see it and not a nanosecond before.
Exactly and unless Tulane decides to UPGRADE its athletic facilities and its programs, we
will be the Vanderbilt of the league. As it stands now, noway are we anywhere near being a quality team in that conference if it happens. I would like to see us perform better in the AAC first!
maybe a successful alum, will do what this couple did for Northwestern (not state) U
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ecord-gift
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 am maybe a successful alum, will do what this couple did for Northwestern (not state) U
Off topic, but: Look at the story below Northwestern about a sexually abusive team doctor at Ohio State. It says he was there from 1979-2018, but then says "nearly 2-decade tenure", so it's unclear how long it really lasted. Ohio State admits they did nothing to stop it. Why would a University choose to ignore this behavior rather than just get rid of the guy? How hard is it to find a new team doctor? I just don't get that part.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:18 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 am maybe a successful alum, will do what this couple did for Northwestern (not state) U
Off topic, but: Look at the story below Northwestern about a sexually abusive team doctor at Ohio State. It says he was there from 1979-2018, but then says "nearly 2-decade tenure", so it's unclear how long it really lasted. Ohio State admits they did nothing to stop it. Why would a University choose to ignore this behavior rather than just get rid of the guy? How hard is it to find a new team doctor? I just don't get that part.
What I posted was a response to a post regarding Tulane upgrding it's facilites
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:34 am
I meant that my reference to Ohio State was off topic.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:34 am

I meant that my reference to Ohio State was off topic.
In my opinion, exposing those who commit crimes, as well as those who enable and cover them up, are never "off topic"....
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Keep the faith Jax, cuz we got nothing else. No admin leadership, no facilities, no on-field success, no fan support. Faith and a Hail Mary miracle is all we have.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 am
I gave up on undergrad and broad alumni support decades ago. When I was an undergrad in the early/mid 80's apathy towards Tulane athletics was the norm. It hasn't changed one iota, at minimum through the opening of Yulman. I know very few recent alumni, but most alumni that I meet outside of my circle of friends are clueless about Tulane sports. As a matter of fact, I've met a few recently that graduated at the beginning of this century that became Saints fans in the wake of Katrina, but didn't become followers of Tulane athletics whatsoever.
Yeah I know a good number of Tulane alums from elsewhere who became big Saints fans. I call them out on it a great deal. I do think the kids have started paying more attention and momentum has started to shift. I am in no way saying things have changed and the kids are wild Tulane fans. We just need to win a big game
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:40 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 am
Yeah I know a good number of Tulane alums from elsewhere who became big Saints fans. I call them out on it a great deal. I do think the kids have started paying more attention and momentum has started to shift. I am in no way saying things have changed and the kids are wild Tulane fans. We just need to win a big game
True. If we had played OU at home and beaten them, students would have taken notice. That was the trigger in 1979, We were coming off of three seasons of 2-9, 3-8, 4-7 and opened against Stanford in the Dome. Beat them 33-10. Almost lost most of the attention by losing at Rice the very next week, but only lost one more the rest of the year until the Liberty Bowl. By the end of the season, we packed the Dome for both Ole Miss and LSU.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

austxwave wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:01 pm lost me at Southern Miss being under consideration too
That's SMU, not USM. I agree USM would make no sense whatsoever.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:19 pm

Win the conference. Make it a reality. Mods merge as necessary.
Sources have since walked that back - neither Tulane nor USM are under consideration.

https://sicem365.com/s/10554/thursday-t ... ees-update
ajcalhoun
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:08 pm Sources have since walked that back - neither Tulane nor USM are under consideration.
Well,that didn't take long. I guess it was fun while it lasted.
God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yikes
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sic'em365 lost clout when they mentioned USM....no way in hell the big12 is interested in So Miss
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:41 pm sic'em365 lost clout when they mentioned USM....no way in hell the big12 is interested in So Miss
+1, USM???
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:05 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:41 pm sic'em365 lost clout when they mentioned USM....no way in hell the big12 is interested in So Miss
+1, USM???
I think, that even tho the earth is flat, Tulane and Memphis end up in the ACC...this will give them teams in the central time zone and increase their recruiting territority
austxwave
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:24 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:05 pm
+1, USM???
I think, that even tho the earth is flat, Tulane and Memphis end up in the ACC...this will give them teams in the central time zone and increase their recruiting territority
That's my gut feeling too. I think it's going to require 2 schools defecting to the SEC or BIG for that invite to come. If we do our part (win), I would put money on this happening.