An Open Letter to Tulane Football

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

As a long time fan, financial supporter and parent of a former player, I feel I have no choice but to pen this letter:

Yesterday in Oxford, Miss was probably THE most embarrassing moment I have ever spent in connection with the Tulane football program. And, as we all know, that is a tough statement as there have been MANY of those times.

After enduring a 2 1/2 hour monsoon, we were all subjected to a disgusting performance of a team that did not play and a coaching staff that did not coach!
From tackling to team motivation, it was a pathetic display.! It was a night that all of you should hang your heads in disgust! I know I did!

So, this is what I have to say:

Tulane, PLEASE do not EVER do such a stupid thing as put an SEC Championship sticker on the helmet ESPECIALLY when you are playing in a storied SEC teams stadium! Great way to fire up the enemy!. For God’s sake that was over 60+ years ago.!Whomever made and approved that decision should be taken to the woodshed!. Also, please stop with the throwback helmet decals! Again, another stupid decision! Why? I’ll explain!

Tulane, YOU chose to VOLUNTARILY leave the SEC! A decision that will live in infamy and will go down in history as one of the BIGGEST blunders in the athletic world!

Tulane, YOU chose to try and run a football program on a shoestring budget!

Tulane, YOU chose to make it harder for qualified student athletes to enroll!

Tulane, YOU decided that having A SUCCESSFUL athletic program is some how demeaning to the GREAT university and diminishes the Tulane DIPLOMA!

TULANE, YOU have created fan apathy with current fans and discouraged the building of any new fan base. Not to mention the building of a financial support base!

TULANE, we live in a city where YOU get very little print or media attention! Again, TULANE, YOU are responsible for this!

So, stop with the reminding us of “WHAT WE WERE” and somehow make the commitment to begin making us “WHAT WE CAN AND SHOULD BE!”

Again, last night, leaving that stadium and campus was one of the MOST embarrassing times of my TULANE life!!

Finally, there is nothing like being stuck in the Mississippi mud and having to wait for a tow truck. A fitting similarity to Tulane Football …”Stuck in the Mud”

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:30 pm As a long time fan, financial supporter and parent of a former player, I feel I have no choice but to pen this letter:

Yesterday in Oxford, Miss was probably THE most embarrassing moment I have ever spent in connection with the Tulane football program. And, as we all know, that is a tough statement as there have been MANY of those times.

After enduring a 2 1/2 hour monsoon, we were all subjected to a disgusting performance of a team that did not play and a coaching staff that did not coach!
From tackling to team motivation, it was a pathetic display.! It was a night that all of you should hang your heads in disgust! I know I did!

Tulane, PLEASE do not EVER do such a stupid thing as put an SEC Championship sticker on the helmet ESPECIALLY when you are playing in a storied SEC teams stadium! Great way to fire up the enemy!. For God’s sake that was over 60+ years ago.!Whomever made and approved that decision should be taken to the woodshed!. Also, please stop with the throwback helmet decals! Again, another stupid decision! Why? I’ll explain!

Tulane, YOU chose to VOLUNTARILY leave the SEC! A decision that will live in infamy and will go down in history as one of the BIGGEST blunders in the athletic world!

Tulane, YOU decided that having A SUCCESSFUL athletic program is some how demeaning to the GREAT university and diminishes the Tulane DIPLOMA!

TULANE, YOU have created fan apathy with current fans and discouraged the building of any new fan base. Not to mention the building of a financial support base!

TULANE, we live in a city where YOU get very little print or media attention! Again, TULANE, YOU are responsible for this!

So, stop with the reminding us of “WHAT WE WERE” and somehow make the commitment to begin making us “WHAT WE CAN AND SHOULD BE!”

Again, last night, leaving that stadium and campus was one of the MOST embarrassing times of my TULANE life!!

Finally, there is nothing like being stuck in the Mississippi mud and having to wait for a tow truck. A fitting similarity to Tulane Football …”Stuck in the Mud”
Awesome letter TURVS71, just awesome.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bigschtick
Riptide

Yes, well said!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ajcalhoun
Swell

Last year's Navy game was worse.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Nailed it for sure. Since we live in the past this embarrassing performance ranks near the 62-0 beatings we took from LSU in the 1960’s when in the SEC.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
gbgreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 pm
TURVS71 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:30 pm As a long time fan, financial supporter and parent of a former player, I feel I have no choice but to pen this letter:

Rediculous letter wants to forget the 3 SEC Championships and leave it in the past but then bring up the deemphasizing of athletics and other mistakes past administrations made. If you want to leave the SEC Championship's in the past leave the other garbage in the past. I go back to Coach O'boyle's years and I say drop it. If you keep living in the past you die in the past, don't criticize where it suits you to bring up the past but to blame this Coach, this AD, this school Administration for the past is fool hardy. What must be done today is fair game but past mistakes should be gone and learned from but left in the past. Fans have to man up and shoulder some of the blame also. Instead of disappearing and hiding be bold and promote. Keep saying what happens lst the chicken or the egg. Fill up Yulman and we can hire the best coaches and get the best athletes that like to play in full stadiums. We all bear some blame Administration, coaches, and fans over the years. Saints had the ain't years but they still showed up and bought tickets.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:04 pm Nailed it for sure. Since we live in the past this embarrassing performance ranks near the 62-0 beatings we took from LSU in the 1960’s when in the SEC.
which were two of the main reasons Tulane left the SEC
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:10 pm

Rediculous letter wants to forget the 3 SEC Championships and leave it in the past but then bring up the deemphasizing of athletics and other mistakes past administrations made. If you want to leave the SEC Championship's in the past leave the other garbage in the past. I go back to Coach O'boyle's years and I say drop it. If you keep living in the past you die in the past, don't criticize where it suits you to bring up the past but to blame this Coach, this AD, this school Administration for the past is fool hardy. What must be done today is fair game but past mistakes should be gone and learned from but left in the past. Fans have to man up and shoulder some of the blame also. Instead of disappearing and hiding be bold and promote. Keep saying what happens lst the chicken or the egg. Fill up Yulman and we can hire the best coaches and get the best athletes that like to play in full stadiums. We all bear some blame Administration, coaches, and fans over the years. Saints had the ain't years but they still showed up and bought tickets.
We have played 3 games this season, 2 of the 3 were pretty good. We have been a displaced team since August 27, what do you say we not “just give up” yet?
TURVS71
Swell

Obviously you have a comprehension problem. That is EXACTLY the point. Don’t bring up the past THAT Tulane caused and use that as motivation!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wow gb, a really warped analysis there. As far as why any of us would continue to focus on the de-emphasis, rather than our SEC championships before the de-emphasis, is because today we are still impacted by the de-emphasis. The de-emphasis is what has cost Tulane over $1B. We still struggle with the de-emphasis. The de-emphasis has erased everything good that happened before 1950, and has limited anything good since 1950. You can’t compare our SEC championships to the de-emphasis—the de-emphasis has had far greater impact on all Tulanians. That’s why we should have a helmet sticker that says, “$1B+”
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It wasn’t a final score to be proud of. But the team has been displaced for a month, they have done been outstanding student athletes since Fritz has been here and they have gotten ever better. We got hosed by a collection of lane kiffin maneuvers (including not being able to warm up in the IPF). The end result sucked - I’m sorry you felt embarrassed but it also sounds like you were pissed to get rained on and then stuck in mud- that’s not Tulane’s fault.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:28 pm It wasn’t a final score to be proud of. But the team has been displaced for a month, they have done been outstanding student athletes since Fritz has been here and they have gotten ever better. We got hosed by a collection of lane kiffin maneuvers (including not being able to warm up in the IPF). The end result sucked - I’m sorry you felt embarrassed but it also sounds like you were pissed to get rained on and then stuck in mud- that’s not Tulane’s fault.
And, we still opened today a 5 pt. favorite over UAB, down to 4 pts. now. If we beat UAB we will be 2-2, just where we thought we would be when the season began. And, it could be worse, Jameis Winston's RTG was 26.9 for today's Saints game against Carolina. :D
TURVS71
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:28 pm It wasn’t a final score to be proud of. But the team has been displaced for a month, they have done been outstanding student athletes since Fritz has been here and they have gotten ever better. We got hosed by a collection of lane kiffin maneuvers (including not being able to warm up in the IPF). The end result sucked - I’m sorry you felt embarrassed but it also sounds like you were pissed to get rained on and then stuck in mud- that’s not Tulane’s fault.
No, I was pissed at a team that runs like it has cinder blocks chained to its feet! Don’t be an ass!
gbgreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Wow gb, a really warped analysis there. As far as why any of us would continue to focus on the de-emphasis, rather than our SEC championships before the de-emphasis, is because today we are still impacted by the de-emphasis. The de-emphasis is what has cost Tulane over $1B. We still struggle with the de-emphasis. The de-emphasis has erased everything good that happened before 1950, and has limited anything good since 1950. You can’t compare our SEC championships to the de-emphasis—the de-emphasis has had far greater impact on all Tulanians. That’s why we should have a helmet sticker that says, “$1B+”
No you guys have a warp mind keep blaming de-emphasis for today's troubles. UAB killed their program a few years ago but they are back, what about ULL had nothing when Tulane was de-emphasizing sports, look at La. Tech lost on a hail Mary against SMU. SMU came back from the death penalty. Those are more recent events. Where was Boise St, Brigham Young, Houston, UCF, in the 60's??? Now we took a hit with Cowen I will admit that. I protested him wanting to drop down in classification. But more recently the School has put money in the program with very little return. How can you guys talk about larger facilities when you have not proven the ones we have can be filled. Expansion occurs when you get fans in the seats, money generated from fans in the seats fuel expansion, expansion before you fill what you have is throwing money in the garbage. An indoor practice facility would be nice maybe where the practice field is. I believe Ole Miss's indoor Practice Facility was adjacent to the stadium allowing them to warm up. That would be an advantage. My question is Tulane's is the largest employer in New Orlean's how can we get those employees involve in supporting the Wave?
posse
High Tide

WIN, WIN , WIN !!!
TURVS71
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:03 pm
No you guys have a warp mind keep blaming de-emphasis for today's troubles. UAB killed their program a few years ago but they are back, what about ULL had nothing when Tulane was de-emphasizing sports, look at La. Tech lost on a hail Mary against SMU. SMU came back from the death penalty. Those are more recent events. Where was Boise St, Brigham Young, Houston, UCF, in the 60's??? Now we took a hit with Cowen I will admit that. I protested him wanting to drop down in classification. But more recently the School has put money in the program with very little return. How can you guys talk about larger facilities when you have not proven the ones we have can be filled. Expansion occurs when you get fans in the seats, money generated from fans in the seats fuel expansion, expansion before you fill what you have is throwing money in the garbage. An indoor practice facility would be nice maybe where the practice field is. I believe Ole Miss's indoor Practice Facility was adjacent to the stadium allowing them to warm up. That would be an advantage. My question is Tulane's is the largest employer in New Orlean's how can we get those employees involve in supporting the Wave?
All irrelevant to the situation. You DON’T use a situation that you didn’t want to be in and now promote that situation to your advantage. I.e: SEC champ helmet sticker . All that does is piss of the fans that remember the SEC days and the current fans that can’t understand why Tulane did what it did. A stupid move on Tulanes part !
A move that, no matter how long ago it occurred, is DIRECTLY responsible for the situation today. It IS the reason we are G5 instead of P5!!
posse
High Tide

WIN, WIN , WIN !!!
Dave breslin
Swell

I agree with both sides of the arguments in this thread. One poop in the pants is not the end of the world. We’ve been in worse situations before. Not that we should forget the ass kicking and lack of D on Saturday night. I believe Old Miss will kick quite a few more people’s butts. It’s how we respond to this! We’ve effed up and come back with better performance with Willy, but it did show that we need to get back on track. We are better off than the Cowdick regime that endeared itself to the fan like having leprosy. As for Rufus the Dufus and deemphasizing—. We can’t change the past— he probably invested TU money in the Edsel. It’s time the WAVE gets back to work and win the conference!!🏈
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The difference is those schools came back with a different administration that wanted to win and invested accordingly. Tulane has kept like minded people in charge all along. They tend to think poor athletics makes the academic side look better. As to facilities small time facilities equal small time programs. Those schools have built the necessary facilities to enhance their programs while Tulane keeps trying to get by on the cheap. Thus the same poor results.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:16 am

The difference is those schools came back with a different administration that wanted to win and invested accordingly. Tulane has kept like minded people in charge all along. They tend to think poor athletics makes the academic side look better. As to facilities small time facilities equal small time programs. Those schools have built the necessary facilities to enhance their programs while Tulane keeps trying to get by on the cheap. Thus the same poor results.
+1,000,000. Absolute bulls-eye. The ensuing Tulane administrations have effectively continued the de-emphasis direction that Rufus The Dufus started. And along the way, have made repeated failed decisions born out that de-emphasis philosophy. It is directly why we are where we are today. And a major contributor to why Tulane’s endowment has languished for the past half century.