Next Wave of Re-Alignment

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Pepper wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:20 pm I honestly believe the University always wanted to go smaller but didn't want the stink on their faces. They can now leverage their position that the decisions made by other outside Gibson Hall. CUSA is where this school belongs. Shitty facilities, shitty band, shitty student support, etc.
Agree with all of this except the bit about the band. The TUMB kids are smart, talented, and pay out of their own pockets to perform in the band. Most are not music majors. They are pre-med, pre-law, and represent almost all Tulane disciplines. They are subject to the rigorous entrance qualifications as are all Tulane students.

Don’t judge the band by the smattering of band members at last week’s UAB game. Participation at the game was voluntary. There had been no rehearsals and many students had not returned to campus.

TXWave88
Surge

This just feels the same as when the CUSA teams left to the Big East. That was a blow to us. No idea what got us into the Big East, but somehow it happened. Sure it collapsed and the AAC was born, but it happened. Anyone is crazy to believe that Iowa St, Kansas, OK St, WVU and TTU are happy with the state of the Big 12 right now. They will be doing everything to jump ship and it will happen. The big 12 will then come looking for more teams and they will take the AAC teams that make sense and I guess they keep saying Boise. If you look at the teams the Big 12 took, of course it makes sense who they took. We wouldn't pick us either. We have to be ready for the jump next time. The Big 12 will not go after ECU, Temple, and probably not USF. What we have to do is make sure we stay in the pack with SMU, Memphis and Tulsa (Central Time Zone). This year it is not happening, but we cannot get leap frogged by anyone else or be way behind these guys. We cannot just rely on the Academics and geography for "last man in". If we can maintain in the top 3 of that pack, then I think we will move back in with the ex AAC guys with the Big 12 leftovers. I do not see anything better than that outcome at this point. I can see plenty of worse outcomes.

As for CSU and AF, I won't argue with them for staying. But if Boise jumps ship to the Big 12, then they may regret being in the MWC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:35 pm The final nail in the Tulane athletic coffin may have just been delivered when the NLRB ruled that college athletes are employees.

Unionization may very well be the next step.
College athletes at private institutions should be considered employees under the National Labor Relations Act, opening the door for athletes to unionize with protections from the National Labor Relations Board, the organization's general counsel said Wednesday in a memo.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nsel-says/
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:37 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:15 pm The AAC will announce that a longtime FBS football power with a tiny TV market and not very big fan base is joining. The powers at ESPN support this and the school has rejected invites from the SunBelt awaiting this opportunity. Nobody on this board will be happy. But I predict they'll win some games, very possibly including beating us, that those that look down their noses at FCS football would NEVER expect them to win.

I'm not happy if/when this happens, because it is a shinning example of how bad a spot this conference is in. It will also demonstrate once again how ESPN calls the shots more than most believe. AAC reps have met with this school's President multiple times. I'm not positive it's imminent, but I'm pretty sure it's going to happen if the AAC stays together for a couple more years. My sources are deep within this University's highest levels of administration.
North Dakota State or Sam Houston State?
James Madison?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:31 pm App state ? Liberty ?

We are in a bad spot, no doubt. We needed to add boise when they wanted to (last 3 years) and help them find a spot for their other sports.

The BiG 12 destroyed us when they took 4 schools but IN PARTICULAR when they leaked they weren’t done expanding. If everyone thought expansion was done for now we would also be in a much better spot.

Everyone hates Liberty, and I think our administration would turn their noses up at app state and Liberty. . . BUT there is no doubt they are competitive and would add eye balls (despite app being a small market, they are well known) and have had sustained success (Liberty is just going to keep getting better and better).
App State and Liberty are both FBS programs, I won't name the University, but I could have said more about ESPN's support (no this is not a CT based University). That, coupled with their President's insistence on academics being a part of their decision, is what's kept them out of the Sunbelt. From what I'm told they've declined two Sunbelt invites. That is coming from a source that is considered inside the "cabinet" of said President.

SMU is the program that I think got screwed. Much more so than Tulane. They've done everything they should have done, yet are still lumped with those that "have not". (See what I did there?)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

So the pundits were talking about the AAC inviting San Diego State and Boise though the more realistic had Colorado State and Air Force in sight but none of the Mountain West teams are leaving so the AAC will have to look to Conference USA etc though there are several teams that could beat Tulane as evidenced by last week. UAB is likely but it will be interesting to see who else actually comes. No matter and with the program at the current level, we are certainly not going to be at the top.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:12 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:37 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:15 pm The AAC will announce that a longtime FBS football power with a tiny TV market and not very big fan base is joining. The powers at ESPN support this and the school has rejected invites from the SunBelt awaiting this opportunity. Nobody on this board will be happy. But I predict they'll win some games, very possibly including beating us, that those that look down their noses at FCS football would NEVER expect them to win.

I'm not happy if/when this happens, because it is a shinning example of how bad a spot this conference is in. It will also demonstrate once again how ESPN calls the shots more than most believe. AAC reps have met with this school's President multiple times. I'm not positive it's imminent, but I'm pretty sure it's going to happen if the AAC stays together for a couple more years. My sources are deep within this University's highest levels of administration.
North Dakota State or Sam Houston State?
James Madison?
James Madison does have good academics, a tiny fan base and football success (at the lower level). Sounds like that’s the winner.

Personally I find Liberty reprehensible, but if we need to save the aac they would be my next call.
nawlinspete
Riptide

The extension just given to Aresco should be withdrawn . He proved to be nothing more than six pounds of it in a three pound bag .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
greenie78
Riptide

At this rate, we'll be lucky to be in the Southland Conference.
TXWave88
Surge

Is the new school being discussed Northern Iowa? Was this Dannen’s plan to get them in and he can go back there?? This is a joke….not like our DC but that would be very Tulane.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Just when you thought realignment suggestions couldn’t get any worse:
A proposal to regionalize three Group of Five conferences will be presented to Conference USA presidents Monday. The concept calls for C-USA, the American and the Sun Belt to realign based on the states and regions of teams in an effort to halt ongoing realignment and stabilize budgets at the Group of Five level.
The plan is also intended to convince AAC commissioner Mike Aresco's conference to join the regionalization concept, thus eliminating the threat of Aresco picking off teams from the other two leagues to make up for the recent loss of three teams to the Big 12.
One regional league suggested is:
… a 12-team Southwest league that would include these teams from Texas and Louisiana: Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, UTEP and UTSA.
Here’s the entire article:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... YtMs4nRz94
Sunamiwave
High Tide

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:18 pm Just when you thought realignment suggestions couldn’t get any worse:
A proposal to regionalize three Group of Five conferences will be presented to Conference USA presidents Monday. The concept calls for C-USA, the American and the Sun Belt to realign based on the states and regions of teams in an effort to halt ongoing realignment and stabilize budgets at the Group of Five level.
The plan is also intended to convince AAC commissioner Mike Aresco's conference to join the regionalization concept, thus eliminating the threat of Aresco picking off teams from the other two leagues to make up for the recent loss of three teams to the Big 12.
… a 12-team Southwest league that would include these teams from Texas and Louisiana: Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, UTEP and UTSA.
That will never happen. Mike Aresco and the AAC will never go for it nor will the Sunbelt. CUSA is desperate as it knows it will soon get canbabilized by the AAC, Sunbelt, and possibly the Mountain West.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:30 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:18 pm Just when you thought realignment suggestions couldn’t get any worse:
That will never happen. Mike Aresco and the AAC will never go for it nor will the Sunbelt. CUSA is desperate as it knows it will soon get canbabilized by the AAC, Sunbelt, and possibly the Mountain West.
This plus the money quote:

When asked about the C-USA concept, an AAC spokesman told CBS Sports, "We have zero interest in that. That's not in our plan."

You should have included that one Lantern.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If this were to come to fruition, I'm done. I've got no interest in playing any of those schools on a regular basis except for SMU and maybe Rice. And you KNOW SMU would puke dogcrap before they'd join a league like that. They'd go indy first. To be honest, if that's the best conference affiliation we can come up with, I'd be willing to go back to being an indy as well.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenie78
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:00 pm
If this were to come to fruition, I'm done. I've got no interest in playing any of those schools on a regular basis except for SMU and maybe Rice. And you KNOW SMU would puke dogcrap before they'd join a league like that. They'd go indy first. To be honest, if that's the best conference affiliation we can come up with, I'd be willing to go back to being an indy as well.
I agree. Rather be an independent than in a crap conference. Though we’re crappy right now too.
Profoundwizard
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:12 pm
I agree. Rather be an independent than in a crap conference. Though we’re crappy right now too.
I don’t see that coming to fruition but the AAC without Cincinnati, Houston and UCF isn’t a conference that excites me either.
galvezwave
Swell

That’s a sorry conference. It’s where we belong .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:19 pm That’s a sorry conference. It’s where we belong .
Exactly. We are as sorry team, representing a sorry University, in a sorry conference. All because we have a sorry coach, led by a sorry AD, tolerated by a sorry President, supported by a sorry Board Of Trustees. I’m sorry to have to post this—but it is what it is.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:30 pm
+1, Correct.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:24 pm
galvezwave wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:19 pm That’s a sorry conference. It’s where we belong .
Exactly. We are as sorry team, representing a sorry University, in a sorry conference. All because we have a sorry coach, led by a sorry AD, tolerated by a sorry President, supported by a sorry Board Of Trustees. I’m sorry to have to post this—but it is what it is.
In fairness to Michael Fitts, Willie Fritz blew it for his DC & OC hires and this season is now “toast” after only 6 games.
Jaxwave
Swell

I agree on DC not on Long. He has good scheme with scrappy OL and WRs. My guess is he move on to better job after the season even it's only to take a QB coach job before his career is ruined here.
Jaxwave
Swell

As far as realignment is concerned I am wondering which new conference might be interested in a program with no tradition, no money and no fans. If there is one out there please call Michael Fiits or Troy Dannen. Seriously, 5,000 fans at home games! The worst part is that it's what the administration deserves, but not the kids who for as long as I've followed them have given their best effort and represented the school well off the field with little support.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:10 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:35 pm The final nail in the Tulane athletic coffin may have just been delivered when the NLRB ruled that college athletes are employees.

Unionization may very well be the next step.
College athletes at private institutions should be considered employees under the National Labor Relations Act, opening the door for athletes to unionize with protections from the National Labor Relations Board, the organization's general counsel said Wednesday in a memo.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nsel-says/
Great news...I can't wait for all athletes to begin paying taxes on NIL, and the money "paid" for their education, room and board, which will be classified as "earned income"....will be interesting to see what action, that class takes
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

Does anyone on here doubt that should that merger with Cusa and Sunbelt occur and Tulane end up in that SW division noted above, that Tulane would find a way to find itself near the bottom of that division. Consider that recruiting to that league would be much harder than it is now. Rice would be the only program I would feel comfortable saying Tulane would outperform on a consistent basis.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:22 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:12 pm

I don’t see that coming to fruition but the AAC without Cincinnati, Houston and UCF isn’t a conference that excites me either.
the AAC loses Cincy, UH and UCF...brings in ranked Liberty, Coastal Carolina and UAB...you may actually be stronger
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !