Next Wave of Re-Alignment

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Kansas must be content now that four new members have been added to the Big 12, right? Not so fast, my friend. Travis Goff, the Kansas AD, said the Jayhawks would still be open to conversations with other conferences.

Here’s the link:
https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... g03Sq3uwuI

GreenLantern
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:53 am I firmly believe that ULL could be that rivalry as their commitment is solid. Plus they have a great coach that may stay if they move up to our conference. Plus its a game that Wave fans could hop on I-10 and go to on a Sat.
Please. Granted, it would be a boon to all of the NOLA Popeye’s Fried Chicken franchises when those ULaLa fans come to Yulman. Other than that, I see no advantage. The O/U for Napier staying is 1 year….longer only if they have a disastrous season.

If you want a fun game that will bring a lot of fans along with one of the greatest bands in America, play Southern every other year. Alternate with USM, LA Tech, or *sigh* ULaLa if you choose to make this OOC game a regional tradition.

But invite ULL to the AAC? Ain’t gonna happen. The only way we get in the same conference is if the AAC totally implodes and the SunBelt picks up Tulane. At that point, Tulane sports will be dead to me.
ccap05
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:05 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:53 am I firmly believe that ULL could be that rivalry as their commitment is solid. Plus they have a great coach that may stay if they move up to our conference. Plus its a game that Wave fans could hop on I-10 and go to on a Sat.
Please. Granted, it would be a boon to all of the NOLA Popeye’s Fried Chicken franchises when those ULaLa fans come to Yulman. Other than that, I see no advantage. The O/U for Napier staying is 1 year….longer only if they have a disastrous season.

If you want a fun game that will bring a lot of fans along with one of the greatest bands in America, play Southern every other year. Alternate with USM, LA Tech, or *sigh* ULaLa if you choose to make this OOC game a regional tradition.

But invite ULL to the AAC? Ain’t gonna happen. The only way we get in the same conference is if the AAC totally implodes and the SunBelt picks up Tulane. At that point, Tulane sports will be dead to me.
GL- I agree with most of what you say; the University of Louisiana of Lafayette would not add anything as a rival or a member of the AAC.

Where I disagree is about the boon to Popeyes. I have read their fan board food discussions enough to know that the fans of University of Louisiana in Lafayette favor grocery store, especially Rouse's, chicken fingers. Seriously, those guys are chicken finger aficionados and the Rouses version seems to hold a special place in their hearts.
Wave755
Tsunami

Hey, hold your horses, Texas now wants out of the SEC!!!
DrBox
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:53 am I might be in the minority, but we lost a big rivalry in Houston that would help fill Yulman Stadium every other year. Money is big, also perception is. We need to replace Houston with someone that can help fill Yulman, give us nationally televised games with a full Yulman. I firmly believe that ULL could be that rivalry as their commitment is solid.
I agree with the Houston.
As for ULL, that would be a big no.
Wave755
Tsunami

TCU & Houston came close to Pac 12 invite?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... hp&pc=U531
gbgreenie
Surge

DrBox wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:53 am I might be in the minority, but we lost a big rivalry in Houston that would help fill Yulman Stadium every other year. Money is big, also perception is. We need to replace Houston with someone that can help fill Yulman, give us nationally televised games with a full Yulman. I firmly believe that ULL could be that rivalry as their commitment is solid.
Reasons, positives travel for our fans, plus good rivalry with lots of their fans traveling to Yulman, to me next best thing to playing LSU as far as a rivalry. Now I want to hear your Cons???
GreenLantern
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:47 pm
Reasons, positives travel for our fans, plus good rivalry with lots of their fans traveling to Yulman, to me next best thing to playing LSU as far as a rivalry. Now I want to hear your Cons???
  • It would give them additional Louisiana television exposure which would not work in our favor for recruiting
  • They bring no additional television market or recruiting ground.
  • Think of the many reasons people want to visit New Orleans. Now think of a single one why they would wish to visit Lafayette.
  • ULL is experiencing a winning anomaly because they have a good coach. When he leaves (and he will...soon), ULaLa will regress to their previous form.
  • What do they offer besides potential crowds? You can attract crowds from Southern, Southeastern, Grambling, Nicholls... yet, these schools would not be aggressive competitors for recruits
  • I think it's a bit snooty and elitist to discuss academics when considering meaningful candidates for an athletic conference, and yet... there it is. To some degree you must consider academic ranking. Whereas Tulane is top 50 nationwide, ULL is around 300. I think inviting ULL would be akin to making an offer to the University of Phoenix or Trump University (if they would have had a football team). Supporting ULL membership would be an affront to other AAC members...even Memphis has a much higher academic ranking.
  • Visiting ULL fans would add little to the local economy. They would drive over, watch the game, go to a Time Saver and buy a couple six-packs of Busch, go to a drive through restaurant and return home without benefitting local air travel, or hotels.
  • Lastly, ULL fans would swarm all of the Popeye's fried chicken drive-throughs and litter the local highways with chicken bones.
ccap05
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:12 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:47 pm
  • It would give them additional Louisiana television exposure which would not work in our favor for recruiting
  • They bring no additional television market or recruiting ground.
  • Think of the many reasons people want to visit New Orleans. Now think of a single one why they would wish to visit Lafayette.
  • ULL is experiencing a winning anomaly because they have a good coach. When he leaves (and he will...soon), ULaLa will regress to their previous form.
  • What do they offer besides potential crowds? You can attract crowds from Southern, Southeastern, Grambling, Nicholls... yet, these schools would not be aggressive competitors for recruits
  • I think it's a bit snooty and elitist to discuss academics when considering meaningful candidates for an athletic conference, and yet... there it is. To some degree you must consider academic ranking. Whereas Tulane is top 50 nationwide, ULL is around 300. I think inviting ULL would be akin to making an offer to the University of Phoenix or Trump University (if they would have had a football team). Supporting ULL membership would be an affront to other AAC members...even Memphis has a much higher academic ranking.
  • Visiting ULL fans would add little to the local economy. They would drive over, watch the game, go to a Time Saver and buy a couple six-packs of Busch, go to a drive through restaurant and return home without benefitting local air travel, or hotels.
  • Lastly, ULL fans would swarm all of the Popeye's fried chicken drive-throughs and litter the local highways with chicken bones.
I hate to quibble yet again with a fellow poster, but your worry about UL of Lafayette fans leaving chicken bones in our otherwise spotless city is unfounded. I make a habit of reading their fan board and can attest that they spend a lot of time discussing their culinary favorites. Although I do not pretend to be able to offer a scientific analysis of the postings, it seems clear that they prefer boneless faux chicken, aka "chicken nuggets" and such, to actual fried chicken. Apparently Rouses offers a "Chicken Nugget" platter (I don't actually know if it is faux chicken or the real thing) and this is quite a crowd pleaser with the University of Louisiana in Lafayette fanbase. From what I have read these nuggets of chicken goodness go very well with Kraft Ranch Dressing.
gbgreenie
Surge

https://www.thevermilion.com/opinion/ul ... abd69.html

To put it simply, Cajun fans should not expect to switch conferences (especially to a Power 5 conference) after one excellent season. Along with that idea, the idea of switching to another G5 conference can be assumed will not happen because Louisiana wants to be the best they can be. With that loosely said, it is up to interpretation as to how they can be the best they can be and in what fashion that holds.

The switch to the American Athletic Conference could greatly benefit Louisiana. The AAC contains top contender teams not only for their conference, but for college football playoffs as well. The conference has the Cincinnati Bobcats, who ranked eight in the coaches preseason poll, SMU, Navy, Houston, along with others. While Cincinnati is the only team with a shot at the college playoffs in this conference, the other teams listed are big money draw schools. Adding Louisiana, Coastal Carolina and Appalachian State would increase the competition for the AAC.
CollenG53
Trickle

this has to be the biggest mess in all of sports.

https://www.sportsbetting3.com/ncaafb/c ... g#matchups

Notre Dame I could understand but Kansas? Big 12 is going to be a free for all.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Big article with sources detailing who the aac is targeting for expansion. We need to hope aresco can convince Boise and SDSU.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... alignment/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:06 pm Big article with sources detailing who the aac is targeting for expansion. We need to hope aresco can convince Boise and SDSU.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... alignment/
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
That would end my support for Tulane
Southwest (12): Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

That would never happen unless the aac collapses.

The key to all of this is we need San Diego State and Boise to come. They would stabilize the conference. From there the other 1-3 schools are more interchangeable. Nevada, Air Force, Colorado state, app state, uab, FAU -whatever.

If I were aresco I keep the buy outs reasonable to schools can leave if the big 12 adds them, and I would pledge some of the collected exit fees from Cinci etc to subsidize travel costs
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Liberty, SDSU, Boise, Nevada, Colorado State, UAB, UTSA, Florida Atlantic, these are the schools that I think should be targeted by Aresco...with the exception of Boise, which brings on field success, they all bring TV markets of value...and before U go off on UTSA, they went to big10 country and beat Illiniois and bring a huge TV market and Corp Bizz sponsorships, with no pro football or baseball to compete with
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:50 pm ....and bring a huge TV market and Corp Bizz sponsorships, with no pro football or baseball to compete with
Applies to SDSU as well. Only pro sport in the area is MLB, which is mostly played during the summer when schools aren't playing anyway.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:05 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:50 pm ....and bring a huge TV market and Corp Bizz sponsorships, with no pro football or baseball to compete with
Applies to SDSU as well. Only pro sport in the area is MLB, which is mostly played during the summer when schools aren't playing anyway.
the only issue with SDSU, Boise and Nevada, is the travel times...getting to Nevada and SDSU is not too bad...Boise is whole nother story, especially for minor sports...I do think Tulane, Memphis and one other school ( West Virgina?) end up in the ACC...this would make it a 18 team league and give them teams in the central time Zone
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

Location and TV market size were important in the last wave of realignment but not so much this time. Markets were important then because ESPN and others could command higher rates for carriage from local cable companies then turn around and use that market size as evidence of penetration to command higher rates from advertisers.

Cord-cutting has killed that model. The new model is filling up your conference with teams that have large fan bases and a national reputation, all to get people to willingly pay extra for streaming services.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Right. Also just because a team is in a market doesn't mean they own it or ever will.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Agreed. Buffalo and Rice don’t dominate NYC and Houston tv, nor do they fill the stands.

That’s why I think UTSA would be a terrible Add, and Colorado state isn’t that appealing either.

We need Boise and SDSU. Nevada would be interesting. I know app State is a small market, but is it that or the poor academics that prevent it from even getting a mention ?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:18 pm Right. Also just because a team is in a market doesn't mean they own it or ever will.
see Tulane
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:57 am
winwave wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:18 pm Right. Also just because a team is in a market doesn't mean they own it or ever will.
see Tulane
Exactly my point.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

I see them occasionally mentioned in national publications (fortunately not too many), but at all cost, NO Marshall. That is an absolute garbage program that has led to altercations at baseball and basketball games that I have not seen from any other program. For me, getting away from them was a big added bonus to jumping from CUSA.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

The only way we don't wind up in CUSA 2.0 and on the outside looking in is to ultimately get into one of the P5's.

Again, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS P6. There never will be so we need to stop flying that damn flag.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 am The only way we don't wind up in CUSA 2.0 and on the outside looking in is to ultimately get into one of the P5's.

Again, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS P6. There never will be so we need to stop flying that damn flag.
And I really think our best and likely only target should be the ACC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson