Next Wave of Re-Alignment

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:38 am The rumblings are that Memphis and Boise would be next if the Big 12 went to 16, and I do not see a way for Tulane to pass one of those two programs in terms of value in the next 5 years.
beside having a football team, what does boise bring...the tv market is ranked 102...minor sports, or very minor, and a travel nite-mare
memphis state brings the fed ex bucks, and even with that $$, they were on the first cut the last time the big12 was expanding,
and just an fyi...the NOLA tv market is ranked #50...the memphis market #51

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

Per Saturday Down South a UAB player just charged with domestic violence .
Hopefully the AAC remembers there is more to university athletics than W's and L's as it fights for survival and regaining credibility .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:26 am Per Saturday Down South a UAB player just charged with domestic violence .
Hopefully the AAC remembers there is more to university athletics than W's and L's as it fights for survival and regaining credibility .
Yawn !!!!...if that is the case, the sec made a huge mistake in admitting texas... at least two players were dismissed or suspened in the last several months for abuse.
Hell, UH had a player suspened for domestic abuse this summer
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Trust me our goody two shoes reputation isn't all that. We had a basketball player charged with murder, and our fair share of other black eyes. And let's face it, our fan base and "drawing power" is among the smallest in the AAC. Unless Aresco pulls a rabbit out of his hat, this is our last year or last couple of years as close to the big show as we'll see. We'v'e been Tulane'd. Lets win the damned conference while it's still an accomplishment to do so.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:38 am The rumblings are that Memphis and Boise would be next if the Big 12 went to 16, and I do not see a way for Tulane to pass one of those two programs in terms of value in the next 5 years.
beside having a football team, what does boise bring...the tv market is ranked 102...minor sports, or very minor, and a travel nite-mare
memphis state brings the fed ex bucks, and even with that $$, they were on the first cut the last time the big12 was expanding,
and just an fyi...the NOLA tv market is ranked #50...the memphis market #51
It's really hard for a university like Tulane, in a city like N.O., to make itself so irrelevant in the collegiate athletic world. It requires a long, and continuing, history of mismanagement and indifference--piled on top of a culture of mediocrity and lack of accountability. All that is a tall order for any organization, but it looks like Tulane leadership has check all the boxes for the past 70 years.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

CBS Sports reporting that Big 12 giving a strong look toward Boise St. and Memphis. Story cites that Memphis will add a strong basketball program. Looks like Aresco and the AAC is about to be completely decapitated--and it looks like Tulane has no bullets in it's collegiate athletic gun. At least five years ago we got mentioned, and even made the first Big 12 cut. In this realignment we aren't even on the radar screen--so much for all the "improvements" over Fitts' five year regime. Looks like the Big 12 also recognizes the Fitts/Dannen "Do Nothing" regime. Absolutely Audacious.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:01 pm
CBS Sports reporting that Big 12 giving a strong look toward Boise St. and Memphis. Story cites that Memphis will add a strong basketball program. Looks like Aresco and the AAC is about to be completely decapitated--and it looks like Tulane has no bullets in it's collegiate athletic gun. At least five years ago we got mentioned, and even made the first Big 12 cut. In this realignment we aren't even on the radar screen--so much for all the "improvements" over Fitts' five year regime. Looks like the Big 12 also recognizes the Fitts/Dannen "Do Nothing" regime. Absolutely Audacious.
I know I was enrolled in Jeff Parish Public Schools, but if you have a conference with 12 teams and you add Memphis and Boise, how does that get you to 16 ?..I have heard of this "new math" thing, but how does 12+2=16
51WaveBG
High Tide

Next move belongs to Aresco. He needs to do something or at least say something. After the move to the Big 12 is final, I hope that TU never schedules any of these 3 teams again.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:28 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:01 pm
I know I was enrolled in Jeff Parish Public Schools, but if you have a conference with 12 teams and you add Memphis and Boise, how does that get you to 16 ?..I have heard of this "new math" thing, but how does 12+2=16
Until OU and UT leave, this will put the Big 12 at 16 teams. When they do leave, maybe the Big 12 will add two final members to stay at 16--that would be our last, last, last chance. I have no idea what the timing of when OU and UT will leave, and how these additions will impact it. It does appear that Bowlsby is maxing out the current TV contract and going to extract a bunch of additional revenue for at least the next 3 years--or until OU and UT depart. In the meantime Tulane stands by the highway with its thumb out--or at least I hope we still have our thumb out.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Here's some day-dream wishing for you. If the Big 12 goes to 16 teams with the addition of Boise St. and Memphis, and then Bowlsby puts them in four 4-team pods, with OU and UT in the same pod--maybe when they leave he fills that pod with Tulane and SMU--it would at least make geographic sense. Hopes, prayers and miracles are all we have at this point.
Jaxwave
Swell

Guys these conferences aren't stupid. They want universities that have shown a commitment to competing for championships. Can anyone on this forum show me one hard concrete thing in its history over the last 60 years that Tulane has done to evidence that. We are playing in an undersized football stadium by D1 standards, an undersized basketball arena that was built with money from 1931 and a baseball stadium that cut corners to finish. The incredible thing was those decisions were probably good ones based on the complete apathy and erosion of the fan base over many years due to the abysmal results. The evidence is there folks for all but few diehards to see that Tulane has never had nor will ever have the will to commit to athletics. The only ADs and coaches who put themselves in the running at Tulane for the past 30 years have been those that were not competent, old retreads or guys looking to make make significant jump in salary from small schools as they age. It was a miracle that the AAC took us in. There is no savior on the horizon coming. Tulane is getting exactly what they deserve in the end starting with Rufus Harris decision in the 50s to demphasize athletics. Tell me where one thing I say is inaccurate.
Jaxwave
Swell

Let me add I am an alum from 1974 and a die-hard since I started at the school and it kills me to write this 5 days after what could have been the greatest game in Tulane football history since my senior year victory over the scum from BR.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave....in 2015 UCF was 0-12 and being laffed at by USF and 6-4 in 2020....Cincy as late as 2017 was 4-8 with a total overall record of 378-363-12.... Houston was 4-8 in 2019 and will most probably have a losing record this year, but they bring a TV market, and a booster with an ego the size of Red McCombs....These teams, at the earliest, will not be joining the big 12 until ou and texas leaves .so my question remains, how does 12+2=16....
GreenLantern
Riptide

Like Jaxwave and many others have stated, we’ve no one to blame but Tulane.

As gutted as I feel after watching the implosion of the AAC and reading everyone’s gloomy predictions of the future erosion of our conference, I wonder how suicidal SMU fans must be. They’ve got: wealthy donors, a new(ish) stadium, an indoor practice facility designed to be architecturally harmonious with their other campus buildings, the best players money can buy, an aggressive policy for hiring football coaches…. and they still weren’t tapped for expansion.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:31 pm Like Jaxwave and many others have stated, we’ve no one to blame but Tulane.

As gutted as I feel after watching the implosion of the AAC and reading everyone’s gloomy predictions of the future erosion of our conference, I wonder how suicidal SMU fans must be. They’ve got: wealthy donors, a new(ish) stadium, an indoor practice facility designed to be architecturally harmonious with their other campus buildings, the best players money can buy, an aggressive policy for hiring football coaches…. and they still weren’t tapped for expansion.
SMU people should have known they wouldn't get in since TCU is in that market.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As for us I said from the beginning that the Big 12 had the leverage not the AAC. We did better with the Big 12 search last time because Bowlsby likes Tulane and New Orleans. When we made that first cut Big 12 fans went nuts saying how ridiculous that would be. So we had no chance this time especially because we haven't done anything of note to date. All we can do is break through this year. Hope to keep Pratt and co. and keep winning big and maybe after OU and UT leave they decide to stay at 16 and we get a look.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If the teams leaving are leaving after this year, we're screwed. Even if they stay another year or three, it puts off the inevitable, and makes it very difficult to recruit. Thank you to 60+ years of mismanaging Athletics. We got Tulane'd after a big game that's looking a whole lot smaller in the scheme of things.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Sunamiwave
High Tide

If the AAC 2.0 brings in any CUSA teams like Old Dominion or Florida Atlantic I will probably stop going to Tulane games and watching them on tv. Might check the score of the Tulane game on the internet but that’s about it. The current AAC is about as low as I can stomach in terms of who we regularly play. I just cannot continue my commitment to Tulane athletics financially and time wise if the AAC 2.0 turns into another CUSA.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

All the posts today are spot on, Jax, Greenlatern, WW and D. And yes golf, if OU and UT don’t stay, it’s the Big 14. After 50 years of hoping for the best for Tulane, I’m done.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Most of the posters on the YOGWF.com seem to think all is well but obviously we’re kind of fucked
GreenLantern
Riptide

Aresco speaks in ESPN article. Key quotes:
  • Concerning the three departing members leaving prior to 2024, Aresco said: “It’s not a great situation when you know somebody’s leaving…often you can mitigate some of that by getting a larger exit fee and having them leave earlier”
  • UCF AD Mohajir (on paying a higher exit fee to leave immediately): “…all options are open right now”
  • Aresco: “(AAC) plans to move deliberately and expeditiously to add two to four teams”
  • Concerning the location of schools under consideration: “Geography does matter…but it matters less because the travel is a lot better”
  • Aresco (on departing teams): “You cannot take this personally…it’s not fun…you have to respect (the leaving teams) and move on…”
  • GreenLantern: “I take it personally…. f**k them and the horse they rode out on…I hope they never win another game…”. *
*just kidding…GreenLantern was not quoted in the article, but if he had been, that is what he would’ve said.

BTW, here’s the article:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... r-exit-fee
galvezwave
Swell

F&@k them???? We’d be dancing in the streets if it was us.
galvezwave
Swell

I would just add la tech and southern Miss and call it a day.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:28 am F&@k them???? We’d be dancing in the streets if it was us.
U are correct sir... I do think the big 12 will go to 14 maybe 16 teams after ou and texas make their exit...Tulane needs to have success on the field this and next year in order to be considered in that expansion...that said, Boise, Colorado Sate, UAB, Coastal, Nevada, hell even UTSA... all cover the bases left by the departing trio.. UH will lose 5 to 7 games this year, Cincy will lose three times and UCF is the wild card, they may go 12-0 or 8-4.... best of luck to cincy, ucf and uh