Next Wave of Re-Alignment

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
oliveandblue
Surge

Silver lining:

Hunter can get this team rolling and build a hoops program here. It would be a needed development in the AAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

oliveandblue wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:47 am Silver lining:

Hunter can get this team rolling and build a hoops program here. It would be a needed development in the AAC.
It would be a needed, and timely, development for the dispirited and depressed Tulane fan base.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Jaxwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 am UnderDawgs AAC view
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/10 ... erence-usa
The Tulane write-up is a joke. He fails to mention the bad facilities, lack of fan base and long history of little commitment by its administrators to competing for championships in every conference they've ever been in.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:11 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 am UnderDawgs AAC view
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/10 ... erence-usa
The Tulane write-up is a joke. He fails to mention the bad facilities, lack of fan base and long history of little commitment by its administrators to competing for championships in every conference they've ever been in.
Oh so you would have preferred that he trash the school? Would have done some good? I don't think so with a clueless president and missing in action A.D.! I was glad he was respectful.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I can see the Big 12 potentially expanding one more time sometime in the future once OU and UT officially leave. If Tulane misses that boat and remains the last seat on the Scott Cowen Titanic its all over.
I would expect SMU and Memphis to be ahead of us in the pecking order so we’d need to hope they go to 16 teams to have a shot.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Memphis and Boise are the next two in if they expand. SMU wasn't mentioned and it's doubtful TCU would want them. If they do go all the way to 16 they'd probably look west to SDSU and either AF or CSU. Tulane's chances are pretty much non existent. We can hope but that's about all.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:08 pm Memphis and Boise are the next two in if they expand. SMU wasn't mentioned and it's doubtful TCU would want them. If they do go all the way to 16 they'd probably look west to SDSU and either AF or CSU. Tulane's chances are pretty much non existent. We can hope but that's about all.
I somewhat disagree... I do not think Boise will be included, other than Football, they bring zero, not even a TV market worth a krap... the Big 12 takes pride in it's basketball, and boise brings zero...Memphis and one other school will be included...SMU has pissed off many in the ole SWC and they want nothing to do with them, plus they do not bring any extra TV exposure, you already have than with TCU....so Tulane, the ball, or is it the facilities are in your court
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:59 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:08 pm Memphis and Boise are the next two in if they expand. SMU wasn't mentioned and it's doubtful TCU would want them. If they do go all the way to 16 they'd probably look west to SDSU and either AF or CSU. Tulane's chances are pretty much non existent. We can hope but that's about all.
I somewhat disagree... I do not think Boise will be included, other than Football, they bring zero, not even a TV market worth a krap... the Big 12 takes pride in it's basketball, and boise brings zero...Memphis and one other school will be included...SMU has pissed off many in the ole SWC and they want nothing to do with them, plus they do not bring any extra TV exposure, you already have than with TCU....so Tulane, the ball, or is it the facilities are in your court
Boise may not get in but if you’re good enough in football, I’m not sure that the “other than football” matters. And Btw, they’re not bad in basketball. 3 NIT’s and 2 NCAA Tournament appearances in the last 10 seasons
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulane has no chance at the Big 12 either now or the near future, and the Tulane fan base can take comfort in knowing that it will have future conference games against UAB, Rice, UTSA and the like.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I think what many fail to realize is that we have ZERO/NOTHING to offer any conference.

- No winning teams
- No fan base
- No facilities
- No impressive resume

To everyone on the outside, we should be exactly where we are. The way we feel and think on this board is the exception, not the norm.

The future is dismal. If there is one.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:49 pm
Tulane has no chance at the Big 12 either now or the near future, and the Tulane fan base can take comfort in knowing that it will have future conference games against UAB, Rice, UTSA and the like.
well, that is at least 2 L's on the schedule !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golf- it was reported in many stories after the B12 added Cincy, et al that Boise and Memphis were according to league sources promised the next two spots. I get what you say about Boise but they have built a national brand in football. So yes they will get one of the two next spots ig the B12 does in fact expand again.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We need this expansion of conference USA Teams to not happen. Stay pat, wait it out. Worse case don’t let Ucf, houston Cinci leave early. Let everything else shake out, add as few teams as needed.
ajcalhoun
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:46 pm I think what many fail to realize is that we have ZERO/NOTHING to offer any conference.

- No winning teams
- No fan base
- No facilities
- No impressive resume

To everyone on the outside, we should be exactly where we are. The way we feel and think on this board is the exception, not the norm.

Well, we do have the city of New Orleans being a fun place to visit.

But that isn't enough. Right now the Big 12 means twelve more teams in the way of our getting into a Power Conference. They are fighting to maintain legitimacy. Remember how some Big East teams went ballistic when we were allowed in? There is zero chance we get in the Big 12. They are trying to stay " Big Time" and we epitomize "Small Time."
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Even Guerry having nightmares
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:06 pm Even Guerry having nightmares
It is so gross. TU is fucked. I legit think it is best to call it quits. Spend the min on all sports, as if that would change the average to awful current results or fan support. Pay coaches the min, with min recruiting budgets. Keep the current half ass facilities. Convert the Fball practice field to a great meeting and work out space for all students. Play all your non conference games local where you can bus to. The only expenses should be fball, bball, baseball and wbball travel when it is more than an 8 hour bus ride and you have to have them fly couch with a support vehicle behind on land, only if need be of course. Take every pay game you can in FBall and Bball, with a 2-1, this allows you to use NOLA as an asset go get constant 2-1’s as opposing fanbases will love the idea of playing a game in NOLA. Stop this nonsense of try to pad home wins in bball and baseball by hosting so many home games. Just play the locals no one else (La Tech, southern, USM, southeastern, ULL, ULM, south Bama, etc.)
It’s over. We would have been so much better off if the recent investments in yulman, hertz and fogelman had gone to academics, dorms and general student support assets (study halls, library, scholarships etc). But that is dine
It’s over folks. Stop spending on athletics. Go cheap and hope for an occasional crap bowl game or first round NCAA loss in bball or baseball. Then enjoy the all scholastic AAC athletic lists. Think small and enjoy the occasional blip. IT IS OVER. There is no path to sustainability at this point. Deal with it internally. When the current coach’s and admin contracts are up, let them go and hire on the absolute cheapest budget. Hope the location and brand results in the rare above .500 year in any sport.
The stupid fantasy of athletic sustainability is done. Done done done.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

In the meantime, crickets from Fitts and Dannen. Dannen busy trying to restart the NCAA engine--which is as doomed as Tulane athletics.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:08 am
DfromCT wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:38 am
oliveandblue wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:03 pm ESPN apparently is holding our payout (somewhat). This tells me that this is ESPN putting together random product.

They do not care about what individual fanbases want. They do not care about tradition outside of a few "product games".

Tulane in the AAC got decent TV marks - they're just looking for games to slot us against for advertising revenue.

ESPN is in charge of FBS now. I cannot blame or applaud Tulane - the same ESPN that got us in the AAC is doing this.
Tulane in the AAC has LOUSY TV ratings. We have had very few games with a whole number in front of the decimal. Frankly, I think it's one AAC game and one OOC game since we joined the AAC. We're not a draw at all, not thought of as anything remotely resembling a "solid" football program. We're on the outside looking in because that where we deserve to be. SMU has a MUCH better argument for being in the club than we do.
Tulane drew midtable AAC ratings and had several games above a million.

Our ratings would be shit if this was a P5 program. It's not. It's an academically inclined midmajor that finally starting to make a push a bit too late..
Like I've said we've had a whole number to the left of the decimal once or twice since joining the AAC. Our ratings are a clear indication that Tulane draws no audience, has no real fan base and deserves to be left out because the years of trying to "make a push" on the cheap have left the fanbase small and shrinking quickly. The TV ratings suck for any level program. There are a handful of FCS programs that have demonstrated more drawing power than we have.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

Thank God we are in the City of New Orleans, were founded in 1834 and have AAU status. I agree, the tragedy of 1998 was the Saints were down, LSU was down (Jerry DiNardo) & people were again taking a look @ Tulane athletics. And then, we hired Chris Scelfo, Georgia's OL coach, for 350K a year?
🤗😯🤷‍♂️
Bigschtick
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:46 pm I think what many fail to realize is that we have ZERO/NOTHING to offer any conference.

- No winning teams
- No fan base
- No facilities
- No impressive resume

We are where we deserve to be. I think that if it was not for the fact that we are in a desirable city like New Orleans, we would get the boot from the AAC!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
anEngineer
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:59 am

- No winning teams
- No fan base
- No facilities
- No impressive resume

We are where we deserve to be. I think that if it was not for the fact that we are in a desirable city like New Orleans, we would get the boot from the AAC!
It's easy to beat up on Tulane as the worst of the worst because that's what we are familiar with, but USF, ECU, Tulsa, Temple are hardly leaving us behind. Tulsa and SMU don't even play baseball so they are less desirable to a major conference. There is no doubt that the AAC is losing the 2 most successful programs in the last 5 years and marginal Houston, but it's not like Tulane sticks out compared to the rest of the conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:47 am

- No winning teams
- No fan base
- No facilities
- No impressive resume

It's easy to beat up on Tulane as the worst of the worst because that's what we are familiar with, but USF, ECU, Tulsa, Temple are hardly leaving us behind. Tulsa and SMU don't even play baseball so they are less desirable to a major conference. There is no doubt that the AAC is losing the 2 most successful programs in the last 5 years and marginal Houston, but it's not like Tulane sticks out compared to the rest of the conference.
It's all about television, and we can't help it that the conferences favor state schools with large undergradute enrollments. I went to Tulane because it was not a state school with a large undergraduate enrollment, but Tulane's virtues for academics do not translate to eyeballs on television screens. Tulane will remain a highly selective private university; UCF has 70,000+ students the overwhelming majority of whom are from Florida.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:47 am

- No winning teams
- No fan base
- No facilities
- No impressive resume

On a scale, baseball weighs a pound, maybe a couple of pounds at the most. Basketball weighs in at 30 lbs and football 50 lbs.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V