Next Wave of Re-Alignment

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:03 pm
anEngineer wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:47 am
Bigschtick wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:59 am

We are where we deserve to be. I think that if it was not for the fact that we are in a desirable city like New Orleans, we would get the boot from the AAC!
It's easy to beat up on Tulane as the worst of the worst because that's what we are familiar with, but USF, ECU, Tulsa, Temple are hardly leaving us behind. Tulsa and SMU don't even play baseball so they are less desirable to a major conference. There is no doubt that the AAC is losing the 2 most successful programs in the last 5 years and marginal Houston, but it's not like Tulane sticks out compared to the rest of the conference.
On a scale, baseball weighs a pound, maybe a couple of pounds at the most. Basketball weighs in at 30 lbs and football 50 lbs.
Basketball weighs 1 pound also. Ask National Champ Baylor

galvezwave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:25 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:06 pm Even Guerry having nightmares
It is so gross. TU is fucked. I legit think it is best to call it quits. Spend the min on all sports, as if that would change the average to awful current results or fan support. Pay coaches the min, with min recruiting budgets. Keep the current half ass facilities. Convert the Fball practice field to a great meeting and work out space for all students. Play all your non conference games local where you can bus to. The only expenses should be fball, bball, baseball and wbball travel when it is more than an 8 hour bus ride and you have to have them fly couch with a support vehicle behind on land, only if need be of course. Take every pay game you can in FBall and Bball, with a 2-1, this allows you to use NOLA as an asset go get constant 2-1’s as opposing fanbases will love the idea of playing a game in NOLA. Stop this nonsense of try to pad home wins in bball and baseball by hosting so many home games. Just play the locals no one else (La Tech, southern, USM, southeastern, ULL, ULM, south Bama, etc.)
It’s over. We would have been so much better off if the recent investments in yulman, hertz and fogelman had gone to academics, dorms and general student support assets (study halls, library, scholarships etc). But that is dine
It’s over folks. Stop spending on athletics. Go cheap and hope for an occasional crap bowl game or first round NCAA loss in bball or baseball. Then enjoy the all scholastic AAC athletic lists. Think small and enjoy the occasional blip. IT IS OVER. There is no path to sustainability at this point. Deal with it internally. When the current coach’s and admin contracts are up, let them go and hire on the absolute cheapest budget. Hope the location and brand results in the rare above .500 year in any sport.
The stupid fantasy of athletic sustainability is done. Done done done.
I agree. Honestly, the best move for Tulane is to bow out of this cusa merger and petition for membership to the southland. Just make slu, mcneese , Nichols and northwestern state our main rivals . Fan base, facilities, stadiums , all a good match .
anEngineer
Riptide

galvezwave wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:52 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:06 pm Even Guerry having nightmares
It is so gross. TU is fucked. I legit think it is best to call it quits. Spend the min on all sports, as if that would change the average to awful current results or fan support. Pay coaches the min, with min recruiting budgets. Keep the current half ass facilities. Convert the Fball practice field to a great meeting and work out space for all students. Play all your non conference games local where you can bus to. The only expenses should be fball, bball, baseball and wbball travel when it is more than an 8 hour bus ride and you have to have them fly couch with a support vehicle behind on land, only if need be of course. Take every pay game you can in FBall and Bball, with a 2-1, this allows you to use NOLA as an asset go get constant 2-1’s as opposing fanbases will love the idea of playing a game in NOLA. Stop this nonsense of try to pad home wins in bball and baseball by hosting so many home games. Just play the locals no one else (La Tech, southern, USM, southeastern, ULL, ULM, south Bama, etc.)
It’s over. We would have been so much better off if the recent investments in yulman, hertz and fogelman had gone to academics, dorms and general student support assets (study halls, library, scholarships etc). But that is dine
It’s over folks. Stop spending on athletics. Go cheap and hope for an occasional crap bowl game or first round NCAA loss in bball or baseball. Then enjoy the all scholastic AAC athletic lists. Think small and enjoy the occasional blip. IT IS OVER. There is no path to sustainability at this point. Deal with it internally. When the current coach’s and admin contracts are up, let them go and hire on the absolute cheapest budget. Hope the location and brand results in the rare above .500 year in any sport.
I agree. Honestly, the best move for Tulane is to bow out of this cusa merger and petition for membership to the southland. Just make slu, mcneese , Nichols and northwestern state our main rivals . Fan base, facilities, stadiums , all a good match .
Why would that be "the best move"? Everyone can piss and moan about Tulane's current position and I'm not happy either, but they are still making loads more TV money than any of us thought possible 10 years ago. It's more than 10 times any CUSA schools. I can at least acknowledge where we are and can't see any value in joining the Southland Conference. If you think no one cares about Tulane vs Tulsa, try selling interest in Tulane vs McNeese.
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:05 pm

It's easy to beat up on Tulane as the worst of the worst because that's what we are familiar with, but USF, ECU, Tulsa, Temple are hardly leaving us behind. Tulsa and SMU don't even play baseball so they are less desirable to a major conference. There is no doubt that the AAC is losing the 2 most successful programs in the last 5 years and marginal Houston, but it's not like Tulane sticks out compared to the rest of the conference.
On a scale, baseball weighs a pound, maybe a couple of pounds at the most. Basketball weighs in at 30 lbs and football 50 lbs.
While it doesn't "weigh" nearly as much, it's still a major sport and I don't see major conferences inviting schools in that don't contribute in major sports.
galvezwave
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Why would that be "the best move"? Everyone can piss and moan about Tulane's current position and I'm not happy either, but they are still making loads more TV money than any of us thought possible 10 years ago. It's more than 10 times any CUSA schools. I can at least acknowledge where we are and can't see any value in joining the Southland Conference. If you think no one cares about Tulane vs Tulsa, try selling interest in Tulane vs McNeese.
What interest? Just as much interest in McNeese as their is Tulsa. Which is none. Tulane, as we once knew it, has been eliminated from the sports psyche of Louisiana. Systematically. Cancelled . Nobody showed up for this conference and the next one will be even less , if possible . Scale the budget back and get on the buss circuit. Hammond is beautiful this time of year . Maybe we can make an annual battle for the causeway game . It’ll be HUGE.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I expect the Eulogy to be delivered, I mean the announcement of the new AAC members, by Friday afternoon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:28 am
Bigschtick wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:59 am

We are where we deserve to be. I think that if it was not for the fact that we are in a desirable city like New Orleans, we would get the boot from the AAC!
It's all about television, and we can't help it that the conferences favor state schools with large undergradute enrollments. I went to Tulane because it was not a state school with a large undergraduate enrollment, but Tulane's virtues for academics do not translate to eyeballs on television screens. Tulane will remain a highly selective private university; UCF has 70,000+ students the overwhelming majority of whom are from Florida.
Those are some of Tulane’s major issues - low enrollment, low living alumni numbers and Tulane’s student body being comprised of students that did not choose Tulane for athletics (and generally weren’t comparing Tulane to schools that had strong athletics), and those are made worse by the fact that many, if not most, of the successful recent alumni (i.e. last 20 years or so) move to cities outside of a reasonable driving distance to New Orleans to work immediately after graduation. Because that is the case, Tulane’s position is relatively unique among private G5 FBS programs.

In contrast, the Texas private schools recruit heavily in state and place most of their recent alumni in not only Texas immediately after graduation - but in four of the largest metropolitan areas in the US that happen to be in Texas.
MicMan
Swell

Guerry is sooo influential and respected his own paper's website can't be bothered to post his picture with his articles. LOL
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Until baseball has anything approaching March Madness, there's no comparison. As a matter of fact, March Madness is bigger than the CFP and bowl games. I wouldn't be surprised if the first day of March Madness doesn't beat the entire college baseball playoffs and CWS. Also, why in the world would the B1G want Kansas?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:16 pm

We will keep getting decent TV money—just enough to fund Dannen and all his contract extensions to less than average coaches. Dannen has set it up that until he, Fritz, Hunter and others can get another job, they’ll keep sucking up a big junk of that $7MM per year from ESPN—Tulane will see very little of it.

P.S. Now we know what Dannen meant when he said he gave Fritz a terminal contract—a contract until Tulane throws in the athletic towel.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
nawlinspete
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:18 pm I expect the Eulogy to be delivered, I mean the announcement of the new AAC members, by Friday afternoon
71 years afterward Rufus and the 1949 Board continue to fuck us , with a healthy assist from the 1965 Board and shortsighted Longenecker .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Pepper
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 pm
Until baseball has anything approaching March Madness, there's no comparison. As a matter of fact, March Madness is bigger than the CFP and bowl games. I wouldn't be surprised if the first day of March Madness doesn't beat the entire college baseball playoffs and CWS. Also, why in the world would the B1G want Kansas?
The problem with March Madness is the NCAA takes the $$$, not the schools.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Pepper wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 pm
The problem with March Madness is the NCAA takes the $$$, not the schools.
Huggins has put the obvious question on the table—and moves the ball down the road in sinking the NCAA once and for all. The P4’s should drop the NCAA—put all those bucks in their pocket. If nothing else, the latest realignment has taken off the facade that any decision is anything more than just finding a way to pocket more money. Money for ESPN, money for P4 schools, and money for conference officials. Time to kick the NCAA to the curb and take their money-they’ve been useless for years.
Dannen has jumped from the Tulane Titanic to the NCAA Titanic—where he is living in the sub-committee steerage class.
greenie78
Riptide

Aresco must have some new job lined up because he’s killing the AAC with these moves. The conference would be better off standing pat than this crap.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:55 am Aresco must have some new job lined up because he’s killing the AAC with these moves. The conference would be better off standing pat than this crap.
At this point, I think Aresco is just doing whatever ESPN tells him to do. They first tried to torpedo the MWC, but CSU and Air Force not surprisingly decided they didn’t want to travel to the east coast and Florida regularly.

Clearly ESPN’s Plan B is to kill CUSA—which it probably has. Whether this move is good for the AAC, or not, is purely a secondary consideration. By keeping the remaining legacy AAC schools at $7MM, ESPN has increased the odds that SMU, Memphis, or even Tulane, won’t jump to the MWC right away. The ball is in Fox Sport’s court. If they were to match the $7MM, I bet SMU and Memphis would jump to the MWC in heart beat—serving a blow to the grand ESPN strategy.

I expect next that ESPN will try to set up some scheduling arrangement between the AAC and SEC, which would improve the new AAC’s hand considerably, and might go with another revenue boost for the AAC. That would not only wall off the MWC, but would also close the gap between the AAC and Big 12. There is no doubt that ESPN is using the AAC to push a big cities/ market strategy, in the heart of football country. Who knows, maybe that will work in the long run.
It’s like the old Cold War between the U.S. and Soviets, who fought it with proxies. This is a battle between ESPN and Fox Sports, and the conferences are the proxies. And the neutered NCAA stands and watches-powerless to do anything.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Heartbreaking. A lot of “If onlys”:

If only we didn’t leave sec

If only we didn’t knock down Tulane Stadium and had stopped construction of the Super Dome.

If only LSU was on our schedule in 1998

If only we hired rich rod

If only aresco helped Boise state join over the last few when they wanted too (nail in coffin for MW)

If only we had enough help from espn to raid the big 12

If only the Big 12 only took two teams

If only the big 12 didn’t tell Boise and others they weren’t done expanding

If only we forced Cinci/UCF/Houston to stay the full time required to exit and only brought in UAB. (Thus buying us time to see how this shakes out and court better teams).

If only . . .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:40 am Heartbreaking. A lot of “If onlys”:

If only we didn’t leave sec

If only we didn’t knock down Tulane Stadium and had stopped construction of the Super Dome.

If only LSU was on our schedule in 1998

If only we hired rich rod

If only aresco helped Boise state join over the last few when they wanted too (nail in coffin for MW)

If only we had enough help from espn to raid the big 12

If only the Big 12 only took two teams

If only the big 12 didn’t tell Boise and others they weren’t done expanding

If only we forced Cinci/UCF/Houston to stay the full time required to exit and only brought in UAB. (Thus buying us time to see how this shakes out and court better teams).

If only . . .
Great post. So true.
Many more events you could add that gets us where we are today.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

….and the only statement I have seen from our athletic director over the past several months is that he is spending most of his time working with the NCAA, which was approved by our president.
“Only in New Orleans, only at Tulane”
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

More re-alignment coming shortly.

Look for USM, ODU, Marshall and a certain FCS school to the Sun Belt. Insiders at the FCS school say Aresco lead them on a wild goose chase and despite the academic reputation of the 'Belt (which they had twice turned down) it's the best landing spot. It's better geographically for them (a HUGE issue for travel for all sports outside of Football) and will probably be stronger than the AAC going forward. Aresco had told them that they're academics, and overall success in Athletics meant more than the media market, then went out and grabbed schools solely based on the market size. Let's face it, the AAC is now the dumpster fire we escaped when we left C-USA.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That is the likely case unless CUSA gets Liberty and JMU. Then USM stays.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:45 pm More re-alignment coming shortly.

Look for USM, ODU, Marshall and a certain FCS school to the Sun Belt. Insiders at the FCS school say Aresco lead them on a wild goose chase and despite the academic reputation of the 'Belt (which they had twice turned down) it's the best landing spot. It's better geographically for them (a HUGE issue for travel for all sports outside of Football) and will probably be stronger than the AAC going forward. Aresco had told them that they're academics, and overall success in Athletics meant more than the media market, then went out and grabbed schools solely based on the market size. Let's face it, the AAC is now the dumpster fire we escaped when we left C-USA.
Further evidence that ESPN has a gun to Aresco’s head.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yep. CUSA going to disappear
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Watch ESPN induce the PAC 12 and Big 12 to pick some MWC teams, and try to headshot the MWC. PAC 12 could grab any of SDSU, UNLV, Nevada or Fresno St. Big 12 grab any of Boise St,, CSU, or Air Force. The guys writing the checks, make the decisions.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

PAC 12 has its contract with FOX .
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.