Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:43 pm
austxwave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:18 pm only thing shocking about this is that A&M wouldn't throw a hissy fit about this.
Only one vote. Won’t amount to anything. Those two are in for sure.
I do not see lsu, Arkansas, Mizzou, A&M voting for texas...lsu, one less sec school to recruit against in the state of texas...the rest, payback for the years they had to endure their BS

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:41 pm I do not see lsu, Arkansas, Mizzou, A&M voting for texas...lsu, one less sec school to recruit against in the state of texas...the rest, payback for the years they had to endure their BS
Me neither. If it does happen then it means the money ESPN is dangling in front of them must be mind-boggling.
God Bless Everyone!
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Lots of gloom and doom. Let’s hope we can find a spot in Big 12 or enlarged AAC. Particularly now when our program is starting to get some respect and our list of 2022 commits is as strong as it has ever been.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

No way these OU and UT rumors leak without a deal already being done. Tulane probably wouldn’t make a Top 60 cut, much less Top 40. We’ll settle into the Next 40–who knows how the Next 40 will be structured conference wise.

70 years of fuc# ups, and mediocrity are about to officially condemn us to irrelevance.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Best article on what can happen. Hits all angles. The potential schools against it, the new Big 12, legal issues, increase in ESPN+ to pay for this etc. The SEC will go to 4 divisions and will now likely be competing against the NFL. OH YEA no mention of Tulane for the Big 12. Houston, BYU or Boise St most likely.

https://www.outkick.com/clay-travis-ana ... texas-sec/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:05 am No way these OU and UT rumors leak without a deal already being done. Tulane probably wouldn’t make a Top 60 cut, much less Top 40. We’ll settle into the Next 40–who knows how the Next 40 will be structured conference wise.

70 years of fuc# ups, and mediocrity are about to officially condemn us to irrelevance.
H-wave...c'mon man, if we are doomed for football hell, be tactful, and at least word it so we look forward to the trip !...Have a great day in HOU
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They won't go to 4 divisions. It would be 8 team divisions . They would likely go to a 9 game conference schedule and possibly 10 which would really raise what they would get in the new contract. Also no way the other conferences would let them get 4 Division winners an auto bid.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

What if college football was structured into several hierarchical leagues by past performance (as in English soccer). You would have the current equivalent of the SEC as the very top tier (Premier Division), followed by the ACC(Championship Division), Big 10, Big 12, etc... and the remainder of the teams in several lower and descending conferences..

Guidelines would specify how a team had to perform to maintain their status or 'membership' in their current conference. A consistently underachieving team that was in a top conference (think Vanderbilt) would have to improve their record or be 'relegated' to a lower conference. A consistent overachiever (UCF, Cincy, or similar) could be promoted to a higher conference.

It would make for some exciting end-of-season scenarios. Imagine Missouri vs Vanderbilt in a bowl game. Instead of being a yawner of a game with no one but home fans watching, imagine the additional interest (and money) that would be generated if the loser would be relegated from the SEC to a lower conference.

Since there is a movement to make college football into a professional sports league, why not emulate one of the most exciting models in the world? This would give hope to even the smallest and most struggling team (think Tulane) with the assurance that there would always be a way to play into a higher conference.

Just daydreaming here. It's the dog days of summer and we seem to be desperate for things to argue about.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

While we're daydreaming here's one: Texas doesn't get the vote but OU does. They need one more school. The schools look at Vandy and say we just added a major powerhouse so we need another weakling to balance this out. Like us the rest of the SEC hates LSU. So Tulane gets in.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 am While we're daydreaming here's one: Texas doesn't get the vote but OU does. They need one more school. The schools look at Vandy and say we just added a major powerhouse so we need another weakling to balance this out. Like us the rest of the SEC hates LSU. So Tulane gets in.
need a football "weakling"...take Kansas, a geo fit of OU, Mizzou, lsu and Arkansas...and they bring a basketball program
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 am While we're daydreaming here's one: Texas doesn't get the vote but OU does. They need one more school. The schools look at Vandy and say we just added a major powerhouse so we need another weakling to balance this out. Like us the rest of the SEC hates LSU. So Tulane gets in.
aTm ought to be pushing this with Arkansas and Mizzou. Vandy would probably go along with it. Maybe even the Mississippi schools. A rare case where our incompetence works to our advantage. We’d be the Shoe Shine Boy for the West Division. And deliver a potential hit to LSU’s recruiting. That really is a very nice daydream.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

But would Dannen get off his duff, go to College Station, and start working this idea with the Aggies?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

one small detail to be worked out...per ESPN article
One potential obstacle for such a move, at least any time soon, is that Oklahoma and Texas signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own those schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires.
Show Me
Tsunami

What is Dannen doing now? Still fishing? Even Dickson and Cowen worked like hell to push Tulane to a better conference. I don’t see or hear a beep about this from him or Fitts other than Tulane pushing for more diversity BS.
No way in hell are we going to the SEC. We won’t even get a Big 12 sniff.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 am
need a football "weakling"...take Kansas, a geo fit of OU, Mizzou, lsu and Arkansas...and they bring a basketball program
But that doesn't hurt LSU which is why it would be us. Those other SEC schools want LSU to have a second state school to deal with.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:16 am
But would Dannen get off his duff, go to College Station, and start working this idea with the Aggies?
That would require work so no.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sports Illustrated Quote about sums it up:
Texas is the ultimate example of what a weird place college athletics can be. Its football program has done nothing but underachieve for 10 years, and yet there is no doubt that every major conference in the country would love to have the Longhorns join their club. They might occasionally look like a trust-fund kid who is squandering the family fortune, but that money gusher is never going dry.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:07 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:16 am
That would require work so no.
Sad and true.
Bigschtick
Riptide

We are lucky to be in the conference we are in and hope to remain!. We will never be able to play with the big boys. Its just not in Tulane University's DNA.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:09 pm We are lucky to be in the conference we are in and hope to remain!. We will never be able to play with the big boys. Its just not in Tulane University's DNA.
The Big Boy Club is about to shrink to the SEC and Big 10. So there will be a larger population of teams that we can compete with and still generate fan interest. If OU and UT do go to the SEC, the dominos are going to impact the AAC. Either we add teams, or teams will be taken--no in between. On the presumption that the PAC 12 is too far (and too screwed up), and the MWC is too weak, this is looking like an Aresco vs Bowlsby show down. Whichever conference prevails, it will likely be a 16-team conference. And as the remaining P5 scramble to 16 teams, I think we can expect to see some raiding and cannibalization among them--so who knows which teams may end up looking for a home. Tulane just better be in the top 8 of the AAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:26 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:09 pm We are lucky to be in the conference we are in and hope to remain!. We will never be able to play with the big boys. Its just not in Tulane University's DNA.
The Big Boy Club is about to shrink to the SEC and Big 10. So there will be a larger population of teams that we can compete with and still generate fan interest. If OU and UT do go to the SEC, the dominos are going to impact the AAC. Either we add teams, or teams will be taken--no in between. On the presumption that the PAC 12 is too far (and too screwed up), and the MWC is too weak, this is looking like an Aresco vs Bowlsby show down. Whichever conference prevails, it will likely be a 16-team conference. And as the remaining P5 scramble to 16 teams, I think we can expect to see some raiding and cannibalization among them--so who knows which teams may end up looking for a home. Tulane just better be in the top 8 of the AAC.
I can see one or two of our Florida teams go to the ACC (UCF more likely)
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If Bowlsby isn't coordinating with the Big 12 remnants right now, he should be flushed. Big 12 leftovers should grab Colo. St.; SMU; UH; Cincy; Memphis; Tulane; UCF and USF, if they want to look east. If they want to look west, replace UCF and USF with BYU and Boise St. The options westward are limited, and would likely depend on who the PAC 12 will want (BYU, SDSU, Boise St., CSU?).
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:38 am What is Dannen doing now? Still fishing? Even Dickson and Cowen worked like hell to push Tulane to a better conference. I don’t see or hear a beep about this from him or Fitts other than Tulane pushing for more diversity BS.
I think it's clear that if Troy Dannen is not constantly keeping YOU up to date on what he is thinking, he is doing nothing. What makes you think that Troy Dannen gives a damn about someone who is constantly berating the program and disappears every time Tulane shows any success anywhere?
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:53 pm
Show Me wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:38 am What is Dannen doing now? Still fishing? Even Dickson and Cowen worked like hell to push Tulane to a better conference. I don’t see or hear a beep about this from him or Fitts other than Tulane pushing for more diversity BS.
I think it's clear that if Troy Dannen is not constantly keeping YOU up to date on what he is thinking, he is doing nothing. What makes you think that Troy Dannen gives a damn about someone who is constantly berating the program and disappears every time Tulane shows any success anywhere?
Hopefully he has thick skin. I’m just not seeing any results that make us more attractive to a Big 12. I’m still disappointed in these coaches extensions he hands out for mediocrity. Sets a low bar. I’m trying to raise the bar. Was around for Perry Clark, Tommy Bowden and Rick Jones. Not seeing anything close. Willie Fritz is a step up from CJ but I’d like to see more in year 6. TD hasn’t fulfilled his fundraising promises and has been more active seeking other AD jobs than anything else here.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:13 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:53 pm
Hopefully he has thick skin. I’m just not seeing any results that make us more attractive to a Big 12. I’m still disappointed in these coaches extensions he hands out for mediocrity. Sets a low bar. I’m trying to raise the bar. Was around for Perry Clark, Tommy Bowden and Rick Jones. Not seeing anything close. Willie Fritz is a step up from CJ but I’d like to see more in year 6. TD hasn’t fulfilled his fundraising promises and has been more active seeking other AD jobs than anything else here.
+ 1,000. Now there is a chance (realignment) for Dannen to redeem himself--can he?