Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Since it will be the university presidents that ultimately decide who goes into what conference, does anyone know what university presidents Fitts has a close relationship with? Any west of the Appalachians?

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

If OU and UT move the SEC, everyone is going to turn and look at what the B1G does since only the SEC and B1G can raid any of the other conferences and the B1G will likely go to 16 if the SEC does. The question is, what will they do?

There are plenty of options:
1. Adding Kansas and Missouri
2. Raiding the ACC for two of UNC, UVA, GaTech, etc.
3. Do nothing (unlikely)

Once the B1G makes it choices, the ACC will be next in line but it's possibly to say what that will look like without knowing with the B1G does. If the ACC is not raided by the B1G, Cincinnati, WVU and Notre Dame (yes, the fan base will hate it, but the market forces are changing the landscape) are on the table for consideration. After the ACC decides what it will do, then it will be on the PAC to decide what it wants - it will likely consider Texas Tech plus another central time zone member.

The AAC could then decide if it wants to continue to exist as its own conference or whether it would want to take the best AAC programs and join/continue the Big 12 along with the Big 12 remnants.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:40 pm If OU and UT move the SEC, everyone is going to turn and look at what the B1G does since only the SEC and B1G can raid any of the other conferences and the B1G will likely go to 16 if the SEC does. The question is, what will they do?

There are plenty of options:
1. Adding Kansas and Missouri
2. Raiding the ACC for two of UNC, UVA, GaTech, etc.
3. Do nothing (unlikely)

Once the B1G makes it choices, the ACC will be next in line but it's possibly to say what that will look like without knowing with the B1G does. If the ACC is not raided by the B1G, Cincinnati, WVU and Notre Dame (yes, the fan base will hate it, but the market forces are changing the landscape) are on the table for consideration. After the ACC decides what it will do, then it will be on the PAC to decide what it wants - it will likely consider Texas Tech plus another central time zone member.

The AAC could then decide if it wants to continue to exist as its own conference or whether it would want to take the best AAC programs and join/continue the Big 12 along with the Big 12 remnants.
Interesting analysis. There definitely is a P5 pecking order, which will control the order of who raids who, and which teams are available down the line. I guess Tulane will just have to sit patiently and see if anybody picks them near the end--kind of like how pick up games were when we were kids.
Show Me
Tsunami

Branding already in the works. “P4”now being mentioned in some of these outlets.
Wave755
Tsunami

SBNation’s take on what happens to the AAC and Big 12 if Texas & OU join the SEC.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/7/ ... s-oklahoma
Hopefully the Big 12 will implode all to the benefit and advantage of the AAC.🤞🏻
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:04 pm SBNation’s take on what happens to the AAC and Big 12 if Texas & OU join the SEC.
Hopefully the Big 12 will implode all to the benefit and advantage of the AAC.🤞🏻
Exactly. It boils down to an Aresco vs Bowlsby cage fight. Given Bowlsby’s laid back, do nothing history, I’ll bet on Aresco.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:20 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:04 pm SBNation’s take on what happens to the AAC and Big 12 if Texas & OU join the SEC.
Exactly. It boils down to an Aresco vs Bowlsby cage fight. Given Bowlsby’s laid back, do nothing history, I’ll bet on Aresco.
+1, scenario 3 would be a godsend for Tulane.🤞🏻
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

SI had this as one of the potential scenarios :

“ Or Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby and AAC commish Mike Aresco meet in the Metroplex—where both leagues have their offices—and hatch a plan to combine forces. A mashup of 19 schools isn’t going to work, which could lead to some bloodletting (sleep with one eye open, East Carolina, Tulsa, Temple, Tulane). But a combination of the best of what’s left might have some viability beyond an eight-team tweener league.”
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:15 pm https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/22/t ... ference-go

That’s full article.
Thank God we are AAU & in New Orleans.
Hornetswave
Low Tide

Sleep with one Eye open. wow!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 pm SI had this as one of the potential scenarios :

“ Or Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby and AAC commish Mike Aresco meet in the Metroplex—where both leagues have their offices—and hatch a plan to combine forces. A mashup of 19 schools isn’t going to work, which could lead to some bloodletting (sleep with one eye open, East Carolina, Tulsa, Temple, Tulane). But a combination of the best of what’s left might have some viability beyond an eight-team tweener league.”
This is exactly why I called out Dannen and Fitts. Get off your asses and be proactive.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:15 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 pm SI had this as one of the potential scenarios :

This is exactly why I called out Dannen and Fitts. Get off your asses and be proactive.
Jesus. If it comes down to one out of those 4 I’d die if Rick Dickson gets Tulsa in and we are left out.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:25 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:15 pm https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/22/t ... ference-go

That’s full article.
Thank God we are AAU & in New Orleans.
what are the positives of being an Amateur Athletic Union member have in this realignment
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Texas and TX Tech will end up in the PAC12...OU and OK State or Kansas to the SEC..... the remaining big12 and AAC teams form one big azz geographic nitemare conference
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 am

Jesus. If it comes down to one out of those 4 I’d die if Rick Dickson gets Tulsa in and we are left out.
Actually of the 4 programs on the "cut list" if the AAC & Big 12 were to "merge," I would think we are the most attractive. Both East Carolina & Temple geographically make no sense. And, East Carolina is a "directional state university" in Greenville, NC, metropolitan area 200,000, and I know this is football, not academics, but for USN&WR ECU ranks no. 217 with an endowment of $217 million. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ea ... rsity-2923 And, Temple is just way out of the geographical footprint of what would be the new conference and like Tulane, has a "sketchy" history for Div. 1 football, to say the least. So, it would come down to Tulane v. Tulsa. And, would OSU stay in the new conference? And, wouldn't taking Tulane add to rather than "dilute" the recruiting footprint of the new conference? I would think Tulane & New Orleans would prevail? And, wouldn't it be great to then say, "in your face Tricky Dick"!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:38 am
Actually of the 4 programs on the "cut list" if the AAC & Big 12 were to "merge," I would think we are the most attractive. Both East Carolina & Temple geographically make no sense. And, East Carolina is a "directional state university" in Greenville, NC, metropolitan area 200,000, and I know this is football, not academics, but for USN&WR ECU ranks no. 217 with an endowment of $217 million. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ea ... rsity-2923 And, Temple is just way out of the geographical footprint of what would be the new conference and like Tulane, has a "sketchy" history for Div. 1 football, to say the least. So, it would come down to Tulane v. Tulsa. And, would OSU stay in the new conference? And, wouldn't taking Tulane add to rather than "dilute" the recruiting footprint of the new conference? I would think Tulane & New Orleans would prevail? And, wouldn't it be great to then say, "in your face Tricky Dick"!
Hope so. I remember we didn’t make the first cut for the Big East/AAC invite but eventually got in. All those basketball schools were furious that we got in. :lol:
Kick Kansas out and invite Tulane and Tulsa. Problem solved.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Hornetswave wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:20 am Sleep with one Eye open. wow!!!
Yes, outside of our world, most unbiased fans think Tulane is not attractive in terms of building a conference. That's the ugly reality we face due to decades of neglect and "The Tulane Model." Other than having Ta competent football coach, nothing else has changed. I cannot say with a straight face that Tulane is committed to doing what it takes in today's competitive landscape. Tulane has entrenched itself into the have-not camp, and seems content being there. Fitts has done nothing to tell me it will be any different in the foreseeable future. He called Cowen "an expert" on NCAA athletics the day he became President of the University. He's shown that the status quo w/r/t athletics is perfectly fine by him. If I had to predict, I would say it's going to get worse, not better, throughout the 2020's.
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:48 am
Wave755 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:38 am
Hope so. I remember we didn’t make the first cut for the Big East/AAC invite but eventually got in. All those basketball schools were furious that we got in. :lol:
Kick Kansas out and invite Tulane and Tulsa. Problem solved.
Tulsa has been better than us in BB but really hasn't done anything in BB in about the last 20 years? 🏀 So, neither Tulane nor Tulsa have much to offer in BB.

And, wouldn't it be great to then say, "in your face Tricky Dick"! :D :lol: :thumbup: :P :clap:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

if OK State is left out of the SEC or Pac12 than Tulsa will be left out of Big12 expansion/survival..Cincy, temple and east carolina are a geo fit for west virginia
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:27 am if Ok state is left out of teh SEC or Pac12 than Tulsa will be left out of Big12 expansion/survival..Cincy, temple and east carolina are a geo fit for west virginia
West Virginia never did make sense for the Big 12, but you can make the argument the East side of the AAC would give it more relevance, but hard to believe Temple or ECU would be taken over Tulane? And, I agree, OSU would not allow Tulsa in the new conference, but OSU would welcome expanding its recruiting reach for Tulane's membership to Louisiana.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:54 am
Hornetswave wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:20 am Sleep with one Eye open. wow!!!
Yes, outside of our world, most unbiased fans think Tulane is not attractive in terms of building a conference. That's the ugly reality we face due to decades of neglect and "The Tulane Model." Other than having Ta competent football coach, nothing else has changed. I cannot say with a straight face that Tulane is committed to doing what it takes in today's competitive landscape. Tulane has entrenched itself into the have-not camp, and seems content being there. Fitts has done nothing to tell me it will be any different in the foreseeable future. He called Cowen "an expert" on NCAA athletics the day he became President of the University. He's shown that the status quo w/r/t athletics is perfectly fine by him. If I had to predict, I would say it's going to get worse, not better, throughout the 2020's.
Brutally true. It's become clear that Fitts is just an awkward academic. And Dannen is an NCAA wonk who is just looking for his next gig. Our only chance is if some of the BOT and hand full of influential alums pressure Fitts/Dannen to get involved in protecting Tulane's athletic well being.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:48 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:27 am if OK State is left out of the SEC or Pac12 than Tulsa will be left out of Big12 expansion/survival..Cincy, temple and east carolina are a geo fit for west virginia
West Virginia never did make sense for the Big 12, but you can make the argument the East side of the AAC would give it more relevance, but hard to believe Temple or ECU would be taken over Tulane? And, I agree, OSU would not allow Tulsa in the new conference, but OSU would welcome expanding its recruiting reach for Tulane's membership to Louisiana.
Wave755
Tsunami

Texas Monthly predicts death of Big 12 Conference:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-enter ... ahoma-sec/