Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:27 pm stayin around to 2025
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ip-request
Well we have a 4 year reprieve to get our house in order I guess.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:44 pm
Hell, four years from now, it will have all changed two or three times
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:14 pm
That’s possible. That $80 million exit fee quite steep. Probably drops each year.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:32 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:14 pm
That’s possible. That $80 million exit fee quite steep. Probably drops each year.
with TD's fund raising prowness, by 2025 Tulane will have a 50,000 seat Football stadium with retractable roof...a 10,000 seat basketball arena and a 8,000 seat baseball stadium with retractable roof, where he will then come up with the idea of the Busch Challenge
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

:shakingno: , UT & OU will be playing in the SEC for the 2022 season, just wait & see.🏈👋
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:27 pm
:shakingno: , UT & OU will be playing in the SEC for the 2022 season, just wait & see.🏈👋
Yep. That’s what is most likely to happen.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:00 pm
if that is the case, then TD better get off his azz.... I wonda why ut and ou petioned for admission beginning July 2025 if they have the $$$$ to pay for their exit and media fees
HoustonWave
Tsunami

A master move by OU and UT, to wait til 2025. They have again out-flanked Bowlsby and the Little 8. Now the pressure shifts to the Little 8--OU and UT may be willing to wait til 2025, but can the Little 8 become the Dead Man Walking 8 for the next four years--I don't think so. OU and UT are essentially saying we can wait, but can you eight live in zombie land for the next four years. How would the Dead Man Walking 8 recruit with that level of uncertainty hanging over them? If another P5 needs a coach, there will be eight takers ready and willing. My guess is that OU and UT know that the Dead Man Walking 8 can't wait four years, and as a result will offer up a more reasonable settlement to OU and UT. So I agree with 755 and Win, OU and UT will play in the SEC in 2022. So Dannen better not go back to the fishing pond quite yet.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:17 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:00 pm
if that is the case, then TD better get off his azz.... I wonda why ut and ou petioned for admission beginning July 2025 if they have the $$$$ to pay for their exit and media fees
Probably a couple of reasons. They don't want to be on the record saying they want out starting next season for legal reasons. They also are likely hoping to wear down their conference mates and get a reduction in what they owe. The problem I see is the other 8 saying hey cool we got all this time to figure it out and keep our P5 status and big money payouts. We'll see.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:26 pm A master move by OU and UT, to wait til 2025. They have again out-flanked Bowlsby and the Little 8. Now the pressure shifts to the Little 8--OU and UT may be willing to wait til 2025, but can the Little 8 become the Dead Man Walking 8 for the next four years--I don't think so. OU and UT are essentially saying we can wait, but can you eight live in zombie land for the next four years. How would the Dead Man Walking 8 recruit with that level of uncertainty hanging over them? If another P5 needs a coach, there will be eight takers ready and willing. My guess is that OU and UT know that the Dead Man Walking 8 can't wait four years, and as a result will offer up a more reasonable settlement to OU and UT. So I agree with 755 and Win, OU and UT will play in the SEC in 2022. So Dannen better not go back to the fishing pond quite yet.
I agree. They are little lame duck 8 now. The “sooner” the Sooners and Horns leave the better for all involved. If am a recruit now and TCU, Baylor or one of the other little lame duck 8 come calling I’m wondering now.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755
Tsunami

An excellent article from SB Nation about why everyone in the Big 12 has always hated Texas, where things are heading for college football and what many little 8 members believe is the real reason Texas is leaving.
https://www.ourdailybears.com/2021/7/27 ... -em-big-12
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 pm An excellent article from SB Nation about why everyone in the Big 12 has always hated Texas, where things are heading for college football and what many little 8 members believe is the real reason Texas is leaving.
https://www.ourdailybears.com/2021/7/27 ... -em-big-12
It wasn’t that long ago that UT had no player drafted in the NFL draft. Their program has been on the decline similar to Nebraska. But financially it continues to be in the top tier. I think they’re bailing out now while they can.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

OU and UT leaving the SEC is devastating to Tulane's hopes of ever being in a power conference long term as that movement further consolidates the power programs into one or two conferences, and, if the PAC, B1G, and ACC say WVU, Texas Tech, or Iowa State do not bring enough value to justify expanding for, why would anyone believe that Tulane would - either now or in 2025?
anEngineer
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 am OU and UT leaving the SEC is devastating to Tulane's hopes of ever being in a power conference long term as that movement further consolidates the power programs into one or two conferences, and, if the PAC, B1G, and ACC say WVU, Texas Tech, or Iowa State do not bring enough value to justify expanding for, why would anyone believe that Tulane would - either now or in 2025?
Considering where this thing is eventually heading, Tulane never stood a chance of getting in (doesn't belong there) and most teams that are in will eventually be out with us. It seems clear that there will eventually be a group of 20-25 schools that will form THE power conference(s) and everyone else will play at a normal level. Some SEC schools will even be out. S. Carolina, Mizzou, the Mississippi schools, Kentucky, maybe Tennessee, certainly Vandy will be with the rest of us. It won't be so bad; it's being played at that level now. We are all just pretending that it isn't.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 am OU and UT leaving the SEC is devastating to Tulane's hopes of ever being in a power conference long term as that movement further consolidates the power programs into one or two conferences, and, if the PAC, B1G, and ACC say WVU, Texas Tech, or Iowa State do not bring enough value to justify expanding for, why would anyone believe that Tulane would - either now or in 2025?
'zombie...ya missin' the big pic....Tulane is located in a destination city...has AAU (Amateur Athletic Union ) accrediation...is located in a destination city...is located in a destination city...is located in a destination city...is located in a destination city....is located in a destination city ....look, when all is said and done, more will be said, than done....ya can have a 64 pee conference teams, out that 64...maybe 10 to 12 on a consistent basis are really good enuff to be in any type of playoff......Duke, Wake, N'Western, Rutgers, Syracuse, Wash State, Iowa State, Iowa, Tex Tech, Purdue, Ga Tech, K-State, Nebraska, Iowa, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss state, Vandy, Tennessee and many more are just in for the ride...if these "power teams" really want to be powerful, form a 32 team league, at most 48, and be "done" with it, there, I have "said" it
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The issue for Tulane during the coming realignment is whether Tulane can keep pace with Cincy, Memphis, UH, SMU and UCF, and get in that Second Tier world. Or will we be grouped with ECU, Temple, Tulsa and lesser G5’s, and get remanded into a Third World of college athletics (think CUSA, Belt, and MAC). That’s why the average performance in football, the disastrous performance in basketball, and non existent fundraising for visible facility improvements during Dannen’s five years is so disheartening. Once again Tulane has let another opportunity pass by when they could have worked to secure a spot with the top G5’s. We may still get lucky, but the fact we are at best viewed as a G5 tweener means that in total, the Dannen Era has been a failure.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:57 am The issue for Tulane during the coming realignment is whether Tulane can keep pace with Cincy, Memphis, UH, SMU and UCF, and get in that Second Tier world. Or will we be grouped with ECU, Temple, Tulsa and lesser G5’s, and get remanded into a Third World of college athletics (think CUSA, Belt, and MAC). That’s why the average performance in football, the disastrous performance in basketball, and non existent fundraising for visible facility improvements during Dannen’s five years is so disheartening. Once again Tulane has let another opportunity pass by when they could have worked to secure a spot with the top G5’s. We may still get lucky, but the fact we are at best viewed as a G5 tweener means that in total, the Dannen Era has been a failure.
H-wave...I have the solution to all of TD's fund rasing issues..bestow a degree upon Tilman Fertitta !!!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Quite a few articles have been looking at the Big 12’s TV ratings without texas and OU, in several years the aac has actually had superior ratings.

Going further some articles and sources have said the TV $$$ for the remaining teams is in the $8-9m range (right where the aac is).

When does their A5 status get revoked ? That’s the only thing that they have over the American after the fact. The A5 status which does bestow its members with superior Bowl tie ins and magical recruiting/top 25 ranking powers.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ultimately it is the President's of the Universities that decide how all of this goes. It's out there now that this could well be headed to a 30-40 team top tier division with all the rest dumped to lower status. As has long been said athletics is the front porch to these schools. So many of them have to be looking at their schools being diminished. Each league has voting criteria for expansion. There are clearly a lot more that can be dumped than in so they could band together and say we're just fine with how things are for us and we're not going that route. So it's P4 and the G6. Long shot but we'll see.
Wave755
Tsunami

His Majesty Nick Saban speaks on UT & OU joining the SEC but says nothing:🤷‍♂️ :clap:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/other/n ... hp&pc=U531
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:42 am Quite a few articles have been looking at the Big 12’s TV ratings without texas and OU, in several years the aac has actually had superior ratings.

Going further some articles and sources have said the TV $$$ for the remaining teams is in the $8-9m range (right where the aac is).

When does their A5 status get revoked ? That’s the only thing that they have over the American after the fact. The A5 status which does bestow its members with superior Bowl tie ins and magical recruiting/top 25 ranking powers.
It probably gets revoked within a year of OU and UT's departure. That's assuming that most of the Little 8 are still in the Big 12 within a year--anyone of them will take the first P4 conference offer they get. And even if the AAC and Little 8 merge, it will be a long shot that we can get P5 status and money. As you say, the Little 8 TV value is really no different than that of the AAC. And considering that most the AAC teams are in larger urban areas, their long term TV value may be greater. There is little true P5 pedigree in many of these Little 8 programs--they truly have been riding on the coattails of OU and UT--which makes it even harder to understand how they and Bowlsby could have not done more to avoid what has now happened. They should have been the first conference to go to disproportionate revenue sharing--had they done that I really don't think any of this would be happening.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:31 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:42 am Quite a few articles have been looking at the Big 12’s TV ratings without texas and OU, in several years the aac has actually had superior ratings.

It probably gets revoked within a year of OU and UT's departure. That's assuming that most of the Little 8 are still in the Big 12 within a year--anyone of them will take the first P4 conference offer they get. And even if the AAC and Little 8 merge, it will be a long shot that we can get P5 status and money. As you say, the Little 8 TV value is really no different than that of the AAC. And considering that most the AAC teams are in larger urban areas, their long term TV value may be greater. There is little true P5 pedigree in many of these Little 8 programs--they truly have been riding on the coattails of OU and UT--which makes it even harder to understand how they and Bowlsby could have not done more to avoid what has now happened. They should have been the first conference to go to disproportionate revenue sharing--had they done that I really don't think any of this would be happening.
GASP !!!!..disproportionate revenue sharing !? stop the madeness....what happened to the "inclusion and equality" BS...it sounds like one is to be judged on the value they bring, rather than if they are just taking up space...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:54 pm Presidents and Chancellors vote on " fit " not on whose going to win a game . Tulane " fits " the PAC , Iowa State does not .
But despite all of their huff and puff blowhard nod to academics, research and "student athletes" when it comes right down to it there will be two and only two criteria for entrance to the four SuperConferences:

1. Size of Fan Base and nationwide drawing power, aka "viewership".
2. Marketability of each institution. See #1.

This might mean some that enjoy "Have" status might move to "Have Not" status. And some "Have Nots" will find themselves in the "Have" category, because they have #1.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

Texas state senator "grandstands" for proposed "quixotic" legislation to stop UT move to SEC. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... hp&pc=U531
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.