Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

-there are more than a few UH and SMU alums still hot about being politically substituted by Baylor and TT. Payback can be hell, and Tillman Ferttita would love to serve up some payback.
Ferttita is a biz person...Tx Tech is one of the most profitable Atheltic Depts in the country, top third if I remember correctly.. he is not going to stop them from an AAC invite, if an expansion actually occurs... I do think Kansas will be abosrbed by the big10, Iowa may not like it, but so will Iowa State... please find following a list of Schools and their athletic depts revenue
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 145373708/

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:04 pm -there are more than a few UH and SMU alums still hot about being politically substituted by Baylor and TT. Payback can be hell, and Tillman Ferttita would love to serve up some payback.
Ferttita is a biz person...Tx Tech is one of the most profitable Atheltic Depts in the country, top third if I remember correctly.. he is not going to stop them from an AAC invite, if an expansion actually occurs... I do think Kansas will be abosrbed by the big10, Iowa may not like it, but so will Iowa State... please find following a list of Schools and their athletic depts revenue
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 145373708/
Tillman could care less about TT's, or any other school's bottom line. Bowlsby, Baylor and TT are near the top of his s#it list. He may have zero say in what the AAC does, but as Chair of the UH System Board of Regents, he just might get his voice heard. Of course many of the UHers continue to think they may get a PAC offer.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think we can have the pick of who we want from big 12. I would rather 3-5 teams then all of them. We can’t possibly take all the texas teams
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:25 pm

I think we can have the pick of who we want from big 12. I would rather 3-5 teams then all of them. We can’t possibly take all the texas teams
Exactly. I would think the bubble teams would be Baylor, TCU, Iowa St. and K State. I'm kind of surprised if the PAC doesn't take at least a couple of the Big 12, namely TT and Okie St. If the PAC doesn't want them, who else west of the Rockies would they want? If the PAC doesn't move now, I'm not sure if they ever will--in which case they'll probably just keep setting in the sunset.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Another article states that with UT & OU leaving the conference- Fort Worth, Waco and Lubbock will lose $500m annually from their local economies. That’s terrible but also hilarious.

I’m no going to assume we are going to come out of this in a stronger position, but how amazing would it be if somehow this is how we end up in an A5 ? Also makes you think how much has Tulane and Uptown missed out on from no Tulane Stadium and SEC affiliation.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:37 pm Another article states that with UT & OU leaving the conference- Fort Worth, Waco and Lubbock will lose $500m annually from their local economies. That’s terrible but also hilarious.

I’m no going to assume we are going to come out of this in a stronger position, but how amazing would it be if somehow this is how we end up in an A5 ? Also makes you think how much has Tulane and Uptown missed out on from no Tulane Stadium and SEC affiliation.
I’d love for some sports economist figure that out. I’d bet it’s close to $500-750 million since 1966 possibly more.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:37 pm Another article states that with UT & OU leaving the conference- Fort Worth, Waco and Lubbock will lose $500m annually from their local economies. That’s terrible but also hilarious.

What Texas politics giveth, the SEC taketh away.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 pm

I’d love for some sports economist figure that out. I’d bet it’s close to $500-750 million since 1966 possibly more.
It's undoubtedly an astronomical figure. Of course most of the gap has occurred since the mid-90's. The primary variables being: (1) SEC annual payout vs CUSA/AAC annual payout; (2) increased tickets sales by being in a P5; (3) I doubt Yulman would have been constructed; and (4) the amount of lost alum support and donations over the past 30 years (the hardest estimate to make). And it looks like the gap will only continue to grow in the years to come. All because Tulane has had a remarkable streak of poor leadership at the top.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 pm

It's undoubtedly an astronomical figure. Of course most of the gap has occurred since the mid-90's. The primary variables being: (1) SEC annual payout vs CUSA/AAC annual payout; (2) increased tickets sales by being in a P5; (3) I doubt Yulman would have been constructed; and (4) the amount of lost alum support and donations over the past 30 years (the hardest estimate to make). And it looks like the gap will only continue to grow in the years to come. All because Tulane has had a remarkable streak of poor leadership at the top.
Absolutely. I’d love for this study to happen. I’d even donate to help fund it if necessary. A reasonable ballpark number is all I’d like to see.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Aggies now "genuflect" before both UT & SEC for Longhorn admission to conference; vote in favor of UT/UO admission to be unanimous. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas ... hp&pc=U531
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:51 pm Aggies now "genuflect" before both UT & SEC for Longhorn admission to conference; vote in favor of UT/UO admission to be unanimous. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas ... hp&pc=U531
We’ll that may hasten the move now.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

It's official, SEC votes 14-0 for admission of UT & Oklahoma.💥🥳🏈
https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021 ... -football/
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

The optimum ways are Big12 or B1G membership . Let's remember the PAC is saying no to BIG12 members , not us ; and let's also remember the B1G wants more AAU members .

Hopefully Presifent Fitts is all over these two Tulane bubbles .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not just uptown but the city in general. There would have been tons of hotel rooms booked, restaurants filled and FQ bars overflowing. A real shame.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TURVS71
Swell

No wonder OU didn’t buy out the Tulane game. They knew what they were doing and will use this as a recruiting inroad
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'd bet it's that much since 1998. It's got to be well over $1 Billion since leaving the SEC.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:51 pm Aggies now "genuflect" before both UT & SEC for Longhorn admission to conference; vote in favor of UT/UO admission to be unanimous. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas ... hp&pc=U531
:lol: :lol: I guess Sankey had a heart-to-heart, and explained to Aggieland how the real world works. If the Aggies want revenge, they'll have to get it on the field.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

What’s really hard to figure is the cost to Tulane itself.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:40 pm OK State..and the PAC12
https://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/osu ... 426ec.html
I'm not sure the OSU president wearing that flaming orange blazer will help them get into the PAC. Also, I would think the PAC will be interested in three schools east of the Rockies, to pod them up with Colorado. Baylor would probably be the odd man out.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:56 pm

Not just uptown but the city in general. There would have been tons of hotel rooms booked, restaurants filled and FQ bars overflowing. A real shame.
Great point. The lost economic windfall for N.O. has been massive.
TURVS71
Swell

TWO WORDS

Rufus Harris

(FYI I worked with his granddaughter and always gave her a hard time!)
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Big 12 was always a weak conference as OU and UT were the conference. There is no one Bowlsby could have added that would have saved it. That was clearly proven just a few years ago when they called for teams to apply. Those teams put on the full court press and in the end ESPN said none moved the needle so no one got in, Disproportionate payments would have only made it worse as the gap between those two and the rest of the conference would have just widened that much more. Plus they still would have left for the megabucks of the SEC. Those 8 have been able to bolster their programs and build the necessary facilities to survive. They have a good bit of money coming to them that others would die to get. What will be interesting to see is if the other P4 conferences are smart enough not to panic and add teams and instead just watch as the SEC beats itself up.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:01 pm The Big 12 was always a weak conference as OU and UT were the conference. There is no one Bowlsby could have added that would have saved it. That was clearly proven just a few years ago when they called for teams to apply. Those teams put on the full court press and in the end ESPN said none moved the needle so no one got in, Disproportionate payments would have only made it worse as the gap between those two and the rest of the conference would have just widened that much more. Plus they still would have left for the megabucks of the SEC. Those 8 have been able to bolster their programs and build the necessary facilities to survive. They have a good bit of money coming to them that others would die to get. What will be interesting to see is if the other P4 conferences are smart enough not to panic and add teams and instead just watch as the SEC beats itself up.
With disproportionate payments, OU and UT might still be in the Big 12. Yes there would be a gap, but I bet the Little 8 would rather deal with that problem than the problem they have now. And all the while, there is no evidence that Bowlsby did anything to avoid this inevitable outcome. Maybe he's like Emmert over the last five years, just playing for time to keep pulling a paycheck.