Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

My inside source is telling me Tulane has been in contact with the Big 10 conference and has a fighting chance to get in. Supposedly Northwestern wants another AAU private school invited and is pushing hard for us to get in. Also Big 10 schools would love to recruit Louisiana where they currently get little exposure. Big 10 makes sense for us from a geographic perspective as they already have Minnesota at the beginning of the Mississippi River and need Tulane so that they are also at the end of the Mississippi River. Dannen has also promised the Big 10 that Tulane would start a wrestling program if invited since that is a sport all Big 10 programs have.

austxwave
High Tide

Not realistic due to geography. Kansas is the AAU school to the BigTen. Our only hope of being included in one of the 4 major conferences is if they all expand to 20 schools. Then we have a fighting chance and likely the ACC which we have more in common academically, athletically, and culturally. It's nice to dream isn't it! I'll be thrilled if it does and will step up financially if it did.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:05 pm My inside source is telling me Tulane has been in contact with the Big 10 conference and has a fighting chance to get in. Supposedly Northwestern wants another AAU private school invited and is pushing hard for us to get in. Also Big 10 schools would love to recruit Louisiana where they currently get little exposure. Big 10 makes sense for us from a geographic perspective as they already have Minnesota at the beginning of the Mississippi River and need Tulane so that they are also at the end of the Mississippi River. Dannen has also promised the Big 10 that Tulane would start a wrestling program if invited since that is a sport all Big 10 programs have.
First off, since you didn't say "Don't laugh."

Now, there's so much to digest here. Northwestern is lonely? And the rest of the B1G gives a fuck? And they choose Tulane? Over Rice and its six-billion-dollar endowment and its location in talent-rich Houston? And that's if the B1G forgot that there's no law against poaching another P5 school like Duke or Stanford. Or Miami. Or Notre Dame. Or Boston College. Or Southern Cal.

This is the kind of thing that gives credence to those ridiculous rumors of Ohio State and Michigan leaving for the SEC.

Honestly, I think the B1G would kick Northwestern out before they took Tulane in.

I do love the bit about the wrestling team though. It reminds me of a scene from The Rockford Files where con men were selling plots of land in the desert with the promise of developing a resort community. Old Rocky said "Jim, they even promised to get me a deal on a boat."
God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

More speculation for predicting Big 12 “remnants” to AAC. :D
https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... expansion/
nawlinspete
Riptide

Go U Northwestern
Fight Right Thru That Line
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
MicMan
Swell

When the B1G added lacrosse they added Johns Hopkins to balance the divisions, even though Hopkins is D3 in all other sports.
ajcalhoun
Swell

And, Tsunami, if that was a troll I salute you as it was magnificent.
God Bless Everyone!
Sunamiwave
High Tide

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:57 pm And, Tsunami, if that was a troll I salute you as it was magnificent.
Yes it was a troll although with my green colored glasses on it was hard for me not to believe it as I thought about how Tulane could possibly receive a Big 10 invite,
greenie78
Riptide

Hey HoustonWave, if we add Baylor, TCU, and WV, I would definitely add Boise St as well to make 15. As far as the 16th team, I would try BYU.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:20 pm Hey HoustonWave, if we add Baylor, TCU, and WV, I would definitely add Boise St as well to make 15. As far as the 16th team, I would try BYU.
I wonder why the pac12 passed on Boise and BYU so many times.... there has to be a reason
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:20 pm Hey HoustonWave, if we add Baylor, TCU, and WV, I would definitely add Boise St as well to make 15. As far as the 16th team, I would try BYU.
I wonder why the pac12 passed on Boise and BYU so many times.... there has to be a reason
Boise = Horrendous academics

BYU = Schools like Stanford, Cal, Washington, UCLA, USC and to a lesser extent Colorado and Oregon cannot stomach being associated with the Mormon Church.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:56 pm Just got a text from an old frat brother who now lives in LA, he says some of the local reporters are saying that PAC 12 invites are imminent for Texas Tech, Okie St., Kansas St. and Iowa St. Word is that the Big 10 has already rejected any possibility of adding Iowa St.--but Kansas is under serious consideration. If all this is accurate, and that's a big if, AAC ought to be all over WVa., TCU and Baylor. WVa may think they have a shot at the ACC, but that probably won't happen. Add these three and we are at 14 football schools, but Aresco will probably want to emulate the 16-team super conferences, so who are the last two we add? Do we bother to go west of the Rockies? Doesn't seem like we would need to do that. How about Colo St. and Air Force (football only).
What do those schools add to the P12? No recruiting, no markets, average to poor academics, limited success. All they would do is dilute the money. Someone explain.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:56 pm Just got a text from an old frat brother who now lives in LA, he says some of the local reporters are saying that PAC 12 invites are imminent for Texas Tech, Okie St., Kansas St. and Iowa St. Word is that the Big 10 has already rejected any possibility of adding Iowa St.--but Kansas is under serious consideration. If all this is accurate, and that's a big if, AAC ought to be all over WVa., TCU and Baylor. WVa may think they have a shot at the ACC, but that probably won't happen. Add these three and we are at 14 football schools, but Aresco will probably want to emulate the 16-team super conferences, so who are the last two we add? Do we bother to go west of the Rockies? Doesn't seem like we would need to do that. How about Colo St. and Air Force (football only).
What do those schools add to the P12? No recruiting, no markets, average to poor academics, limited success. All they would do is dilute the money. Someone explain.
They are the only P5ers out there. What alternatives do the PAC 12 have? If UT hadn’t pulled the plug in 2011, UT, TT, OU and OSU would be celebrating their 10th anniversary in the PAC 16. Half that group is still available, and the PAC is weaker now than it was in 2011, and needs to do something pronto. Alternative? See comments above about BYU and Boise. If the PAC 12 sits back and does nothing, their new Commish will have a lock on the Bob Bowlsby “Do Nothing Award”. Picking off a few Big 12 orphans is about the only option the PAC has,
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:24 pm
They are the only P5ers out there. What alternatives do the PAC 12 have? If UT hadn’t pulled the plug in 2011, UT, TT, OU and OSU would be celebrating their 10th anniversary in the PAC 16. Half that group is still available, and the PAC is weaker now than it was in 2011, and needs to do something pronto. Alternative? See comments above about BYU and Boise. If the PAC 12 sits back and does nothing, their new Commish will have a lock on the Bob Bowlsby “Do Nothing Award”. Picking off a few Big 12 orphans is about the only option the PAC has,
Just cause they are available doesn’t mean it makes sense. Do nothing is always an alternative. Why is that you think they HAVE to act just because the SEC is adding prime assets?
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:47 am The reason I see the split of the P4 Super’s is because the bigger players are frustrated having to play under the same rules and limitations of the rest of D1. They feel they are being held back. Imagine Alabama is playing under the same rules and restrictions as it’s neighbor Samford in Birmingham. Or Texas under the same restrictions as Prairie View. Those schools want to be able to do much more with the resources they can generate. D1 as it currently stands holds them down. The NCAA will not be able to stop this train here either.
The Top 64 will be able to set its own rules (scholarships, paying players, playoff system etc). It may not happen next season but it’s inevitable. Tulane can only sit and watch. Cowen dream come true. Tulane on a lower level won’t have to commit to spending much if anything on athletics. We apparently didn’t get that last seat on the Titanic. 🤦‍♂️
Effectively, the P4s will become just another professional sports league, only affiliated with colleges instead of cities. When you've got a QB at Alabama already getting $1M in NIL deals with only one career pass under his belt. Might as well give up on sports all together. I've no interest in that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:47 am The reason I see the split of the P4 Super’s is because the bigger players are frustrated having to play under the same rules and limitations of the rest of D1. They feel they are being held back. Imagine Alabama is playing under the same rules and restrictions as it’s neighbor Samford in Birmingham. Or Texas under the same restrictions as Prairie View. Those schools want to be able to do much more with the resources they can generate. D1 as it currently stands holds them down. The NCAA will not be able to stop this train here either.
The Top 64 will be able to set its own rules (scholarships, paying players, playoff system etc). It may not happen next season but it’s inevitable. Tulane can only sit and watch. Cowen dream come true. Tulane on a lower level won’t have to commit to spending much if anything on athletics. We apparently didn’t get that last seat on the Titanic. 🤦‍♂️
Effectively, the P4s will become just another professional sports league, only affiliated with colleges instead of cities. When you've got a QB at Alabama already getting $1M in NIL deals with only one career pass under his belt. Might as well give up on sports all together. I've no interest in that.
It’s a multi billion dollar industry, many may not like it, but it was and is inevitable.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I reached out to the Big10....847-696-1010... I was concerend about N'western's fragile emotional state of loneliness. I was informed, they knew nothing about the Wildcats having any issues, either physical or emotional and the Big10 had met all financial obligations to the Wildcats.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

A Sunday meeting..not sure if Communion was offered
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... arture-sec
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:57 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:24 pm

Just cause they are available doesn’t mean it makes sense. Do nothing is always an alternative. Why is that you think they HAVE to act just because the SEC is adding prime assets?
The PAC 12 has been struggling for the past 3 or 4 years. They've needed to act for some time now, well before the current shake up. If nothing else, Bowlsby and the Big 12 have shown what the "Do Nothing" strategy can lead to. The PAC 12's problem is that they don't have a lot of good options available to them--the sudden availability of TT, OSU, KSU and ISU may be their last chance. So I can readily believe any reports that they may be considering adding those schools--large state schools meets their profile far more than BYU, Boise St. or even SDSU. We shall see.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 am A Sunday meeting..not sure if Communion was offered
Gotta laugh. After sitting in his rocking chair for the last five years, Bowlsby is now working like a one-armed paper hanger. Too little, too late. Though it does sound like UT is still taking offers like a street walker. Whether they end up in the SEC or not, its clear UT and OU want no more part of the Big 12. I just saw that they served their coup de grace notification to the Big 12.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:02 am
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 am A Sunday meeting..not sure if Communion was offered
Gotta laugh. After sitting in his rocking chair for the last five years, Bowlsby is now working like a one-armed paper hanger. Too little, too late. Though it does sound like UT is still taking offers like a street walker. Whether they end up in the SEC or not, its clear UT and OU want no more part of the Big 12. I just saw that they served their coup de grace notification to the Big 12.
There is a rumor at the UT Golf Club @ Stiener Ranch, that OU has the SEC votes but not UT.... I can see lsu, A&M Arkansas, Mizzou, Miss State and Ole Miss not voting for Texas...talk on the Course, OU will be invited and a team from the east coast wil be the other one
DrBox
Riptide

austxwave wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:31 pm Not realistic due to geography. Kansas is the AAU school to the BigTen.
AAU school isn't the issue - the Big is replete with AAU schools; Private AAU school is the issue. My thought though would be Rice.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

no media for U guy's....but here is the rub, if OU and UT pay the penalty and leave prior to 2025 and the Big12 dissolves prior to 2025, the current big12 schools get zero $$$ in ut and ou media rights...if ut and ou leave and the big12 stays solvent and abosrbs other schools, they still get the $$$$ thru 2025....so maybe the AAC gets disolved
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... dia-rights
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ralph Russo:

https://www.macon.com/news/business/art ... 16858.html

Lots of money for the 8 left behind.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:45 am Ralph Russo:

https://www.macon.com/news/business/art ... 16858.html

Lots of money for the 8 left behind.
a great article and breakdown