Speculation on the upcoming 2021 Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Are we now considered a top G5 football team/program ? That’s a nice feeling.

Can anyone provide a synopsis ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

One day people will catch up with the fact that we no longer have divisions in the conference. It refers to us as top G5 and says we are a middle of threpack team in the conference. Not sure how he figured that. We finished 8th last season. It says we have more talent and depth now but the schedule will be the toughest the team will have faced under WF. It gives a positional break down.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Six key toss-up games will determine our 2021 fate: Ole Miss; UAB; UH; Cincy; SMU and Memphis. Three at home and three on the road. All winnable and losable. A 60-minute effort will be required for all six games.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:46 pm Six key toss-up games will determine our 2021 fate: Ole Miss; UAB; UH; Cincy; SMU and Memphis. Three at home and three on the road. All winnable and losable. A 60-minute effort will be required for all six games.
I would add Tulsa to the list...there is a brutal 4 week stretch... SMU...Cincy...UCF...Tulsa.... throw in UH two weeks before the SMU game...and Ole Miss a week before UAB to start the season...some kids are going to have to grow up quick
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll have a pretty veteran team. I could see Tulsa taking a notable step back. They had one of those seasons where the ball always seemed to bounce their way. Our staff has done a poor job against SMU but they are a beatable team.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:27 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:46 pm Six key toss-up games will determine our 2021 fate: Ole Miss; UAB; UH; Cincy; SMU and Memphis. Three at home and three on the road. All winnable and losable. A 60-minute effort will be required for all six games.
I would add Tulsa to the list...there is a brutal 4 week stretch... SMU...Cincy...UCF...Tulsa.... throw in UH two weeks before the SMU game...and Ole Miss a week before UAB to start the season...some kids are going to have to grow up quick
I almost added Tulsa to my list. They're always a nuisance for Tulane, but I'm hoping they are down a little this year--plus we get them at home. If we can't handle them, it's going to be a long season.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

And did we get a 60 minute effort in any game last year? Cincy is the toughest, as it's plain and simple very tough to move the ball on them. I think they'll give the Irish hell in South Bend the first weekend in October.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As to Cincy it will be interesting to see how they do without their coveted DC Freeman. LSU thought they had him but he chose ND.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I know Tulsa has had some tough luck in last years, and just now
Has had some ridiculously good luck. We beat the shit out of them last year, and without their all American freak 1st round draft pick, they take a huge step back. We need to put them in the group by 14 this year. The loss the Tulsa and navy last year were brutal aberrations. Take away a win elsewhere, but we absolutely have those two wins 99.9% of the time
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:40 pm I know Tulsa has had some tough luck in last years, and just now
Has had some ridiculously good luck. We beat the shit out of them last year, and without their all American freak 1st round draft pick, they take a huge step back. We need to put them in the group by 14 this year. The loss the Tulsa and navy last year were brutal aberrations. Take away a win elsewhere, but we absolutely have those two wins 99.9% of the time
Those two losses are the worst in recent memory. Keon had a very simple and easy throw to make that would have put us up 31 to nothing going into halftime at Navy. All he had to do was read the coverage and throw a lob to the back corner where nobody but our TE could catch it. Instead he threw an INT, giving Navy life going into halftime. I don't know how many 3rd and long and 4th and long plays we gave up to Tulsa's 3rd string QB, a few of which would have ended the game.

This is a very difficult schedule and many of the "toss up" games will require 60 minutes. I don't think we saw a 60 minute effort in any game last season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I agree with everything posted above. It really was something out of a silly completely unbelievable movie when we knocked out two Tulsa QBs and then third string kept converting 3rd and long and 4th and long.

I am very excited for this year, finally we have a QB and an offense to keep up with the aac. SMU keeps upgrading their talent, and should be scary this year with any good QB play.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:27 pm
And did we get a 60 minute effort in any game last year? Cincy is the toughest, as it's plain and simple very tough to move the ball on them. I think they'll give the Irish hell in South Bend the first weekend in October.
I can't recall a 60-minute game last year--maybe the FIU season opener. That has been Fritz's greatest shortcoming--having the team ready to play from the first minute through the last minute. There has often been a lack of focus and intensity. Sometimes the team looks like they are just going through the motions and wanting to get to the end of the game as soon as possible.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:36 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:27 pm
I can't recall a 60-minute game last year--maybe the FIU season opener. That has been Fritz's greatest shortcoming--having the team ready to play from the first minute through the last minute. There has often been a lack of focus and intensity. Sometimes the team looks like they are just going through the motions and wanting to get to the end of the game as soon as possible.
Hell, there were games when the "coach" did not give us 60 minutes
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
MicMan
Swell

LES MILES IS AVAILABLE
johnwalker01
Trickle

I think LES MILES is not available.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I'm not sure Tulane has enough blond coeds to entice Les.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

CFN's preseason rankings for your review and reading enoyment
https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/07 ... -130-teams
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Just looked through, they have us one spot above ULL which is always nice. They have us finishing 5-7, with a loss at ECU. It could happen, but I was looking at the rest of their predictions (SMU for example) and I realized I think this kid who wrote it just was blindly picking teams.
MicMan
Swell

SMU could be a national contender in FBS, if Stangs are undefeated meeting Cincinnati late.
ajcalhoun
Swell

MicMan wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:04 pm SMU could be a national contender in FBS, if Stangs are undefeated meeting Cincinnati late.
That twelve-team playoff is still a few years away.
God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:04 pm SMU could be a national contender in FBS, if Stangs are undefeated meeting Cincinnati late.
💤
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

If the stangs are national contenders then we are in a great spot.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:41 am the latest from Oxford
https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2021/07/20/ ... ng-season/
Thanks for the link. Hopefully he hasn't had enough time to fix his defense.