Chet's Fogelman renovation

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mods, move to whereever U think this belongs
Chets renvoation of Fogleman called for the "north wall" the side the teams sit on, to be removed. The area of the glass enclosed "sailboat" would be moved to a different part of the campus. By removing the north wall and extending the building towards the student center, the playing floor would then be moved to run parallel to McAlister drive, (north-south) not Ferret st (east-west) ..if memory serves the blue prints were approved by the NOLA Fire Marshall for 6,500 seats...part of his plan, the last time I was there, was in place, the closing of stairwells and used for concessions on the upper floor..... mods feel free to move, or delete, your choice

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The renovation of the UC has impinged on that plan.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I haven't been on campus since 2019, and not sure I checked that area out that visit. If memory serves the sailboat has been gone for a while and something else is there, like an outdoor classroom (easily removed) or an expansion on the UC? Will someone more familiar with the current buildings there post if Gladchuck's proposed footprint is even possible today?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:29 am The renovation of the UC has impinged on that plan.
I do not think the UC was under a reno at the time Gladchuck had the plans in place..also his choice for a Head Basketball Coach was Dave Bliss, who happened to be in route for his "final" interview with the Prez & Chet and to be announced as HC, the Prez, who was upset that Gladchuck had made an announcement of Basketball being reinstated a year earlier than the Pre wanted, was paged at the DFW airport and informed he was not going to be hired, the Pissed Prez over-ruled Chet's choice
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut, you have some great Tulane history in that head of yours. That was just after I left Tulane, and although I've heard you tell both stories before, I'm not tired of being reminded of them! Thanks for the posts.

I'd be interested to see if a Fogelman expansion/renovation that turned the court 90 degrees is feasible. Given how wide the building is overall, it might not take that much if we're willing to live with small seating areas behind the baskets. Does the UC now touch Fogelman? Does our President give a damn?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:06 am golfnut, you have some great Tulane history in that head of yours. That was just after I left Tulane, and although I've heard you tell both stories before, I'm not tired of being reminded of them! Thanks for the posts.

I'd be interested to see if a Fogelman expansion/renovation that turned the court 90 degrees is feasible. Given how wide the building is overall, it might not take that much if we're willing to live with small seating areas behind the baskets. Does the UC now touch Fogelman? Does our President give a damn?
No, Fogelman does not touch the UC, even after the UC renovation. Currently there is still a patio between the two, and I don't see anything that would prevent the plan that Gladchuk had for turning Fogelman 90 degrees. If they ever resurrect that plan, I hope they can get more than 6,500 into the layout. In a 90 degree layout, it would seem that they could widen the new structure to equal the length of the current Fogelman--by doing that, they might be able to get the capacity to something closer to 8 or 9 thousand. The closing of McAlister Drive only gives Tulane more flexibility in renovating Fogelman.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

The Fogleman renovation is currently scheduled right after completion of the double-decking of the west side of Yulman!

You’re Welcome!
billow
High Tide

Great answer! Along with Double deck on Westside of Yulman. LOL
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Here's a photo of the space currently. The buildings do touch on the back end . There is also the stairwell that has been built. This is why I said it impinges on the plan. There could be a move to go that route but the school would have to be willing to tear up that space they just built.

https://lbc.tulane.edu/

I also don't think the space is as wide as it used to be as the front of the LBC took some of that away.

It is an interesting idea. Golf you should pass it on to the new AD. Tulane should have copies of it or the city should if the process got as far as you say.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

The time to have done this was when Perry Clark was our coach back in the day and we were constantly selling out the arena. We cannot draw flies now as we let the program disintegrate to complete irrelevance under Finney, Dickerson, Conroy, and Dumbleavy. As others have said with Tulane’s limited athletic department resources we need to focus on football and building the football operations center that Dannen failed to raise the money for.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:15 pm Here's a photo of the space currently. The buildings do touch on the back end . There is also the stairwell that has been built. This is why I said it impinges on the plan. There could be a move to go that route but the school would have to be willing to tear up that space they just built.

I also don't think the space is as wide as it used to be as the front of the LBC took some of that away.

It is an interesting idea. Golf you should pass it on to the new AD. Tulane should have copies of it or the city should if the process got as far as you say.
That's the Bookstore at the top of the steps, where the old sailboat was. It would be a difficult fit with that encroaching on the west side of the patio. This link shows the nature of the problem https://admission.tulane.edu/map There are a variety of creative solutions to it all, but that would require some will and effort from Gibson Hall--and that's probably the biggest hurdle.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:15 pm Here's a photo of the space currently. The buildings do touch on the back end . There is also the stairwell that has been built. This is why I said it impinges on the plan. There could be a move to go that route but the school would have to be willing to tear up that space they just built.

My company had the Tulane Foodservice contract.. Myself and a colleague were brought in to help with the planning-placement of heated foodservice equipment and the refrigerated service lines for dispensing beverages thru out the arena from one central beverage location...that is why I was privvy to the plans .. I am sure Tulane still has a copy..as far as the city is concerend I bet they were lost during Katrina
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:40 pm

That's the Bookstore at the top of the steps, where the old sailboat was. It would be a difficult fit with that encroaching on the west side of the patio. This link shows the nature of the problem https://admission.tulane.edu/map There are a variety of creative solutions to it all, but that would require some will and effort from Gibson Hall--and that's probably the biggest hurdle.
Thanks for the link. Another thing is It also serves as an entrance/exit so to close that would involve the Fire Marshal.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:53 pm

My company had the Tulane Foodservice contract.. Myself and a colleague were brought in to help with the planning-placement of heated foodservice equipment and the refrigerated service lines for dispensing beverages thru out the arena from one central beverage location...that is why I was privvy to the plans .. I ma sure Tulane still has a copy..as far as the city is concerend I bet they were lost during Katrina
Thanks for the background.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:47 pm

My company had the Tulane Foodservice contract.. Myself and a colleague were brought in to help with the planning-placement of heated foodservice equipment and the refrigerated service lines for dispensing beverages thru out the arena from one central beverage location...that is why I was privvy to the plans .. I ma sure Tulane still has a copy..as far as the city is concerend I bet they were lost during Katrina
another way seats were added, was to use the foyerenterance facing ferret St..that enterance area was not going to be needed, that "dead space" was going to be used for increased baseline seating at the south end of the court,...I think it was going to be one large seating area, with no 2nd tier walkway, but with two fire exit doors leading out to ferret st ..but gawd that was back about 1989 if I remeber correctly
Show Me
Tsunami

Where’s Chet today? Army?
billow
High Tide

Navy
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:29 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:47 pm
another way seats were added, was to use the foyerenterance facing ferret St..that enterance area was not going to be needed, that "dead space" was going to be used for increased baseline seating at the south end of the court,...I think it was going to be one large seating area, with no 2nd tier walkway, but with two fire exit doors leading out to ferret st ..but gawd that was back about 1989 if I remeber correctly
Good stuff golf. Thanks.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Great info and history
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

billow wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:50 pmNavy
And he's become one of the most well-respected AD's in the country.