SCOTUS puts kill shot to NCAA's defense of amateurism with NIL

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Starting Thursday you can purchase Michael Pratt’s autograph without causing him to forfeit his eligibility.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ncaa-propo ... _lead_pos2
Under pressure to overhaul its vision of amateurism in college sports, the National Collegiate Athletic Association on Monday indicated that it would allow athletes in all 50 states to make money from their name, image and likeness as soon as July 1 without forfeiting their eligibility.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:29 pm Starting Thursday you can purchase Michael Pratt’s autograph without causing him to forfeit his eligibility.

Under pressure to overhaul its vision of amateurism in college sports, the National Collegiate Athletic Association on Monday indicated that it would allow athletes in all 50 states to make money from their name, image and likeness as soon as July 1 without forfeiting their eligibility.
Can I give him $100K for it? :mrgreen:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

There is going to have to be some sort of control to keep donors and boosters from just giving kids money and saying it's for their name. I would think the athlete will have to file some sort of paperwork verifying that he is receiving money form a legitimate source for a legitimate business transaction.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

All of that is in place. The players are going to learn about taxes.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:30 am All of that is in place. The players are going to learn about taxes.
Yes, the IRS is certainly going to be a part of it.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:29 pm Starting Thursday you can purchase Michael Pratt’s autograph without causing him to forfeit his eligibility.

Gotta laugh at the NCAA rear guard actions as they slip into irrelevance. Reminds me of the Monty Python movie where the one knight, who has had his arms and legs cutoff, says, "Ok, we'll call it a draw."
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:26 am There is going to have to be some sort of control to keep donors and boosters from just giving kids money and saying it's for their name. I would think the athlete will have to file some sort of paperwork verifying that he is receiving money form a legitimate source for a legitimate business transaction.
Any efforts to "control", beyond normal procedures to ensure its not laundered drug money, will eventually be struck down like all the other rules. It won't be the Wild, Wild, Kinda Wild West. Pandora's Box has been opened. I doubt even the universities will be able to control or limit the NIL activity of a player, much less a conference or the NCAA.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU going all in. No telling how much they spent yesterday running ads on Time Square video boards promoting their new brand. “NILSU”.
This is another huge blow to G5 schools like Tulane.
LSU female gymnast is about to sign a $1 million deal.
https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Artic ... 167274740/
LSU football All-American cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. announced a partnership with Walk On's restaurant. Quarterback Myles Brennan announced deals with both Smoothie King and Smalls Sliders. Other players announced partnership deals with the gaming platform Yoke, while some student-athletes have already offered social media "shout outs" for payments between $30 and $50.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
oliveandblue
Surge

Tulane wasn't recruiting against Alabama or LSU before. It's not going to hit us like that.

The issue may be if we don't have the boosters/local companies willing to put money into players like UH/Memphis/SMU will. Tulane needs to pay out in the top half of the conference if we want to compete.

Tulane's goal should be to win the AAC and get a #10/11/12 seed in the new CFP.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Any limits on the amount of $$ someone pays for something is called restraint of trade. I believe it's frowned upon. Once the horse is out of the barn, it will run wild when it realizes there's no restraints.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ajcalhoun
Swell

I am at a total loss as to how this whole NIL thing is going to work out but I don't believe that this will be good for Tulane.
God Bless Everyone!
Show Me
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:00 pm I am at a total loss as to how this whole NIL thing is going to work out but I don't believe that this will be good for Tulane.
Tulane never paid it’s players. The main difference is now LSU which has always paid recruits under the table can now come out of the closet and brag how much players will get if they sign there.
We’re not effected competing with AAC schools outside of SMU. Our guys maybe get a free hamburger from Buds courtesy of MicMan.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I think the NIL numbers out of the P5 Football Factories will be eye popping, as will contrived "educational" support payments directly from those universities. Numbers stemming from the P5 parasites and certain G5 programs will cover a broader spectrum. Ultimately, those schools that want a bigger piece of the multi-billion dollar annual college revenue pie will have to "invest" bigger dollars in all forms of payments. The universities will be able to "control" their spend, but they'll have little to zero "control" over the NIL spend. Initially schools and their athletic programs will think they can "coordinate" the NIL spend from their alums, but eventually they'll begin to see the alums cutting their own deals with the stellar recruits and players. And through it all, the now gelded NCAA will sit there and watch.
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:01 pm I think the NIL numbers out of the P5 Football Factories will be eye popping, as will contrived "educational" support payments directly from those universities. Numbers stemming from the P5 parasites and certain G5 programs will cover a broader spectrum. Ultimately, those schools that want a bigger piece of the multi-billion dollar annual college revenue pie will have to "invest" bigger dollars in all forms of payments. The universities will be able to "control" their spend, but they'll have little to zero "control" over the NIL spend. Initially schools and their athletic programs will think they can "coordinate" the NIL spend from their alums, but eventually they'll begin to see the alums cutting their own deals with the stellar recruits and players. And through it all, the now gelded NCAA will sit there and watch.
Definitely. It will be the Wild Wild West for the deep pocket schools. Many already do it but now they can brag about it to attract the top recruits.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Show Me wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:23 pm Tulane never paid it’s players.
"Never" is a pretty strong word. "Seldom" might be more appropriate here.
God Bless Everyone!
Show Me
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 am
Good point. Or Never paid it’s players much. :lol:
wave97
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 am
+1. 👍
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

"Coach, I can't make practice today, I have a photo shoot at a 9 year olds Birthday Bash"
https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/01/n ... aily-cover
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

We at gotula.net should hold a bake sale so as to raise enough money to buy a highly-rated wide receiver.
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:41 am We at gotula.net should hold a bake sale so as to raise enough money to buy a highly-rated wide receiver.
Or a hamburger sale using Buds burgers. :lol:
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:56 am "Coach, I can't make practice today, I have a photo shoot at a 9 year olds Birthday Bash"
https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/01/n ... aily-cover
:lol: :lol: :lol: And the coach will respond with, "Yea, I know, we set it up for you."
MicMan
Swell

Miami in mega-deal with gym chain paying $6000 for each player.

Kids are now playing for the name on the back of their jersey, instead of the front.
Show Me
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:55 am Miami in mega-deal with gym chain paying $6000 for each player.

Kids are now playing for the name on the back of their jersey, instead of the front.
Yes. Sad stuff for the sport. They need to reimburse tuition by the tune of that $6000 and all NIL gains up to their tuition scholarship amount . That would be fair to the rest of the non athletic scholarship student body.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:01 am
MicMan wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:55 am Miami in mega-deal with gym chain paying $6000 for each player.

Yes. Sad stuff for the sport. They need to reimburse tuition by the tune of that $6000 and all NIL gains up to their tuition scholarship amount . That would be fair to the rest of the non athletic scholarship student body.
That won't happen--it's every man/woman/school for themselves. Any school that might suggest such a requirement would be ignored by all the 3 stars and up. The athletes are going to use this NIL money, and any cooked up "educational support" payments, to buy higher end cars--at least those athletes that don't get a car for having done a commercial for a dealership.
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:05 am
Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:01 am

That won't happen--it's every man/woman/school for themselves. Any school that might suggest such a requirement would be ignored by all the 3 stars and up. The athletes are going to use this NIL money, and any cooked up "educational support" payments, to buy higher end cars--at least those athletes that don't get a car for having done a commercial for a dealership.
I agree. Just wishful thinking.