12 Team CFP Proposal

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

That format would almost guarantee the AAC champ a spot unless an undefeated G5 champ from another G5 beat a high end P5 in its out of conference play. Because that is is the case, this is acceptable even though it isn't ideal
winwave
Top of the WAVE

IF that happens it is a move in the right direction for our conference.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would be in favor of all 10 conference champions getting in with 2 at large bids. This would make the conference championship games even more important, the top 4 get a bye and the last 3 G5 champs will more than likely be fed to three P5 teams while 2 G5's would play, guaranteeing a G5 in the final 8. I don't think there's a chance of any such format, as that would, in the eyes of the P5 powerbrokers, give away too much to the G5. But that would legitimize the championship IMHO.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

I think a 12-team playoff is silly and only serves to throw some crumbs to more teams and avoid lawsuits. Having byes for the top 4 is already a ridiculous enough advantage, but does anyone think a team out of the top 8 would ever beat a top 4 in a playoff? Unlike baseball or basketball, a football team is not going to win because of a single hot pitcher or hot shooter.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:07 pm I think a 12-team playoff is silly and only serves to throw some crumbs to more teams and avoid lawsuits. Having byes for the top 4 is already a ridiculous enough advantage, but does anyone think a team out of the top 8 would ever beat a top 4 in a playoff? Unlike baseball or basketball, a football team is not going to win because of a single hot pitcher or hot shooter.
I would like to hear your solution. Stay with the 4 teams selected by ESPN's Selection Committee?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Any change that expands the field is better than the current scam.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

When Tulane goes undefeated this season, it’s not going to need an expanded playoffs. (Shoot me)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Step forward for sure. But just one spot for G5’s out of 12 just doesn’t seem fair either.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:11 pm
anEngineer wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:07 pm I think a 12-team playoff is silly and only serves to throw some crumbs to more teams and avoid lawsuits. Having byes for the top 4 is already a ridiculous enough advantage, but does anyone think a team out of the top 8 would ever beat a top 4 in a playoff? Unlike baseball or basketball, a football team is not going to win because of a single hot pitcher or hot shooter.
I would like to hear your solution. Stay with the 4 teams selected by ESPN's Selection Committee?
8 would be much more sensible than 12. Again, that final 4 are just crumbs to avoid lawsuits and risk injuries for teams 5 - 8 in a preliminary game.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Currently there is a huge gap in the top 2-3 teams and the rest of CF. I don’t mind the top 4 getting a bye, as I believe it make first round upsets FAR more likely.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 pm
8 would be much more sensible than 12. Again, that final 4 are just crumbs to avoid lawsuits and risk injuries for teams 5 - 8 in a preliminary game.
Wait what? I think you may need to reconsider your numbers. It’s either a straight 8 team where everyone plays or a 12 team with byes.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 pm Step forward for sure. But just one spot for G5’s out of 12 just doesn’t seem fair either.
Realistically one spot, but there would be 6 at large bids, open to anyone.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:04 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 pm Step forward for sure. But just one spot for G5’s out of 12 just doesn’t seem fair either.
But do you really think that's going to change things? You'll still see a one or two loss SEC or Big 10 team being chosen over a one loss AAC school, or even an undefeated MWC or SunBelt.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
anEngineer
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:02 am
anEngineer wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Wait what? I think you may need to reconsider your numbers. It’s either a straight 8 team where everyone plays or a 12 team with byes.
It's just 8. In the 12 team format, teams 5-8 would have to play an extra game and risk injury before they have to play a top 4 that is MUCH better than they are. I don't like the inequity either, but top 4 team will win every time, and certainly no one out of the top 8.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:09 am
But do you really think that's going to change things? You'll still see a one or two loss SEC or Big 10 team being chosen over a one loss AAC school, or even an undefeated MWC or SunBelt.
Exactly. It just gives P5’s more bids.
Tossing a scrap to the G5’s
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

In a 12 team format, I could see guaranteed access by an undefeated G5 team that won its conference title game even if that access wasn't guaranteed by the CFP itself given how rare that it is that that occurs.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:25 am

In a 12 team format, I could see guaranteed access by an undefeated G5 team that won its conference title game even if that access wasn't guaranteed by the CFP itself given how rare that it is that that occurs.
What if you get 2 undefeated teams.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:24 am
They both go and some 1 (or maybe 2) loss P5 cries bloody murder. Too bad. I also think that G5's having that exposure would attract a lot of the recruits that go to a P5 and never play, closing the divide a little bit. It would be great for the sport of college football, but that doesn't factor into the money driven minds of the P5 power brokers and Notre Dame, which has WAY too much say.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:24 pm

They both go and some 1 (or maybe 2) loss P5 cries bloody murder. Too bad. I also think that G5's having that exposure would attract a lot of the recruits that go to a P5 and never play, closing the divide a little bit. It would be great for the sport of college football, but that doesn't factor into the money driven minds of the P5 power brokers and Notre Dame, which has WAY too much say.
where is the equality, the human rites, the humanity....hell, where are the Feds... have the power brokers no shame !!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

They would both be selected, but that situation would be extremely rare. That being said, there would probably be an unspoken requirement that the G5 beat a P5 (of any quality) out of conference to avoid selecting G5s with no such wins.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

They could care less about the G5 schools. The real reasons for this expansion are (1) to obscure the embarrassing fact that four/five teams have separated from the P5 pack, and dominate the current four NC playoff spots, and (2) to temper the angry fans from the P5 schools that routinely fall into the 5 through 10 list. Failure to calm the unrest from these 5 through 10 schools could eventually threaten the entire P5 and NC fraud. The fans from the same four/five schools, who lap at the NC trough in most years, aren't enough to quell a possible revolution.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
ajcalhoun
Swell

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news ... posal.aspx

"The proposal calls for the bracket each year to include the six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference."
God Bless Everyone!
ajcalhoun
Swell

I can't believe y'all are ignoring this. For the first time in a very long time Tulane football has a legitimate path to a national championship.
God Bless Everyone!