12 Team CFP Proposal

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
gbgreenie
Surge

greenie78 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:08 pm When Tulane goes undefeated this season, it’s not going to need an expanded playoffs. (Shoot me)
Agree with you, if Kai Horton starts, he has never lost a Football Game that he has been the QB. How many QB's can say that, I can't wait to see his streak extended. 3 years unbeaten "2" Texas State Championships. Won his lst game switching from Basketball to Football never lost since, lol

HoustonWave
Tsunami

I like Kai Horton as well, but Kai has never played football for Tulane. Even if he were to start this season (which he won’t), he would lose his first game rather early in the season—several probably.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
nawlinspete
Riptide

gbgreenie , get your head out of your backside . Horton is not going to start against Morgan State .

Even if he were to do you really see him beating a consensus top four in what would be his second game in the FBS ?

Get real ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:35 pm https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news ... posal.aspx

"The proposal calls for the bracket each year to include the six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference."
This is interesting, but in all reality its just window dressing. There is NO WAY you'd have two G5 champions make it and one of the P5 champs not. Won't happen. Ever. And they know that. Imagine an undefeated Boise St in MWC and an undefeated UCF in the AAC. You think they're both going to be ranked higher than one of the P5s? I don't see it happening. As long as there's human bias in how the rankings are determined, it won't. Its a sports version of "it doesn't matter who votes, what matters is who COUNTS the votes".
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 am gbgreenie , get your head out of your backside . Horton is not going to start against Morgan State .

Even if he were to do you really see him beating a consensus top four in what would be his second game in the FBS ?

Get real ....
We open with Oklahoma.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Robert M is , unfortunately , correct .

Our only path is , fortunately , under our control : winning nine or 10 FB games in 2021 , in 2022 , in 2023 and in 2024 ; have winning MBB and WBB in each of these years ; commit to be deserving of the big time , ie getting rid of Dannen and , if need be , Hunter and Stockton ; enlarging Yulman with endowment funds , now ; hiring the AD who will command the attention of all five of the P5's .

For Tulane these next four years are " PUT UP OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE " years ; or more simply stated P5 or bust years .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:59 am This is interesting, but in all reality its just window dressing. There is NO WAY you'd have two G5 champions make it and one of the P5 champs not. Won't happen. Ever. And they know that. Imagine an undefeated Boise St in MWC and an undefeated UCF in the AAC. You think they're both going to be ranked higher than one of the P5s? I don't see it happening. As long as there's human bias in how the rankings are determined, it won't. Its a sports version of "it doesn't matter who votes, what matters is who COUNTS the votes".

Had this system been in place in 2020 Cincy and Coastal Cackalacky would've been in and Pac 12 Champ (and 21st ranked) Oregon would've been out. Theoretically, anyway.
God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

This is also overlooking the fact that the aac champion Will the majority of the time be in the playoff. THATS A BIG DEAL. Let’s just take care of winning the AAC. We are 1 billion times closer to making the playoff if this is passed then under the previous system.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:43 pm
Agree with you, if Kai Horton starts, he has never lost a Football Game that he has been the QB. How many QB's can say that, I can't wait to see his streak extended. 3 years unbeaten "2" Texas State Championships. Won his lst game switching from Basketball to Football never lost since, lol
I hear Charlie Brown's teacher again. And he's wrong about some of the "switching sports" stories she keeps imagining. He didn't lose a game as Carthage's starting QB. But he played both Football and Basketball before and after he became the starting QB.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:59 am This is interesting, but in all reality its just window dressing. There is NO WAY you'd have two G5 champions make it and one of the P5 champs not. Won't happen. Ever. And they know that. Imagine an undefeated Boise St in MWC and an undefeated UCF in the AAC. You think they're both going to be ranked higher than one of the P5s? I don't see it happening. As long as there's human bias in how the rankings are determined, it won't. Its a sports version of "it doesn't matter who votes, what matters is who COUNTS the votes".

Had this system been in place in 2020 Cincy and Coastal Cackalacky would've been in and Pac 12 Champ (and 21st ranked) Oregon would've been out. Theoretically, anyway.
AJ, don't you think if this system had been in place in 2020, they'd have tweaked the algorithms so that didn't happen? I assure you the rankings would not have been the same.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenie78
Riptide

Robert is right. They were purposely putting two loss Oklahoma and Iowa St above Cincy and Coastal. It’s a sham until proven otherwise.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If passed it's not a sham. This clearly gives us and our conference access. Even in a year where maybe another G5 champ claims the auto spot our champ would still have a decent chance of getting picked. OOC scheduling is key here. Cincy has scheduled well here. So have we this year. If that holds up our champ will be in almost every year. There is no perfect system. This proposed one is much better than what currently exist.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:52 am AJ, don't you think if this system had been in place in 2020, they'd have tweaked the algorithms so that didn't happen? I assure you the rankings would not have been the same.
Robert, I don't doubt that for a second. :cheers:
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:22 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:52 am AJ, don't you think if this system had been in place in 2020, they'd have tweaked the algorithms so that didn't happen? I assure you the rankings would not have been the same.
Robert, I don't doubt that for a second. :cheers:
I don't know nothin about algorithms, but I sure as hell know they would have fuked with the math equations
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
alumniwave
Low Tide

This would be big.
I think we have the man to get us to the top of the league in Fritz. This new setup would really help the AAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

alumniwave wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:27 pm This would be big.
I think we have the man to get us to the top of the league in Fritz. This new setup would really help the AAC.
Had we won 8 or 9 games last season, I would agree with you. But there were too many games that we didn't play 60 minutes and lost as a result. There were easily 8 wins right there on the table and in year 5, we didn't step forward and take them. I'm not saying he won't ever get us there, but the jury is out, with concerns he has a 6-8 win ceiling.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 am
alumniwave wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:27 pm This would be big.
Had we won 8 or 9 games last season, I would agree with you. But there were too many games that we didn't play 60 minutes and lost as a result. There were easily 8 wins right there on the table and in year 5, we didn't step forward and take them. I'm not saying he won't ever get us there, but the jury is out, with concerns he has a 6-8 win ceiling.
Agreed. His best season at Tulane is 6 regular season wins out of five seasons. So far, he has struggled to piece together strong performances.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

UnderDawgs conference by conference historical breakdown and future
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/6/ ... 5-football
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:47 am UnderDawgs conference by conference historical breakdown and future
I find this interesting. Could be a reason for BYU to consider joining the AAC. and ND joining the ACC in full.
"Under the 12-team format, the six highest-ranked conference champions are guaranteed automatic bids, and the other six slots are reserved for the next six highest ranked teams. The top four highest ranked conference champions will receive first-round byes. No conference is guaranteed an automatic bid and independent teams such as Notre Dame and BYU are ineligible for the bye. The bracket will not be reseeded, thus, the #1 seed will always match up against the winner of the #8 vs. #9 game, etc."
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ND was for this set up. Their AD was on that committee. He said now we won't have to hear how we don't play a conference championship game.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:12 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:47 am UnderDawgs conference by conference historical breakdown and future
I find this interesting. Could be a reason for BYU to consider joining the AAC. and ND joining the ACC in full.
"Under the 12-team format, the six highest-ranked conference champions are guaranteed automatic bids, and the other six slots are reserved for the next six highest ranked teams. The top four highest ranked conference champions will receive first-round byes. No conference is guaranteed an automatic bid and independent teams such as Notre Dame and BYU are ineligible for the bye. The bracket will not be reseeded, thus, the #1 seed will always match up against the winner of the #8 vs. #9 game, etc."
Definitely should motivate BYU to look for a conference--they won't get treated the same as ND.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Has anyone done a pro forma of what this playoff scheme would have looked like had it been effective in 1998?
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 pm ND was for this set up. Their AD was on that committee. He said now we won't have to hear how we don't play a conference championship game.
So he was willing to give up a potential bye, no matter how good they are? Doesn't sound like good negotiating on his part. Now he's basically accepted they'll never be part of the top six. Would have made more sense to commit to the ACC for football too.
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:39 pm Has anyone done a pro forma of what this playoff scheme would have looked like had it been effective in 1998?
I used the BCS standings of Dec 7, 1998, which is what it would have been based on. Tulane was #10 in that ranking.

1 SEC Tennessee
2 ACC Florida State
3 B1G Ohio State
4 BIG12 Kansas State
5 PAC12 Arizona
6 CUSA Tulane (#10)
7 UCLA (#6)
8 Florida (#7)
9 Texas A&M (#8)
10 Wisconsin (#9)
11 Arkansas (#11)
12 Georgia Tech (#12)

1st round

Byes: Ten, FSU, OSU, KState

Arizona vs Ga Tech
Tulane vs Arkansas
UCLA vs Wisconsin
Florida vs Tex A&M

Closest non P5 school besides Tulane was Air Force who was #16.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Although, it doesn't say that the 6 conf champs will necessarily be the top 6 seeds. In which case you'd move Tulane back to #10 and have

Arizona vs Ga Tech
UCLA vs Arkansas
Florida vs Tulane
Texas A&M vs Wisconsin