It's Here ! CFN's 2021 Tulane Preview

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

Poorly written , players names misspelled , other misspellings ; must have been proofread at 3 AM by a drunk lost looking for a light switch .

Most disappointing is that it's another projected treading water , no progress year .

What specifically bothered Amare Jones enough that made him leave for Georgia Southern ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What specifically bothered Amare Jones enough that made him leave for Georgia Southern ?

Tyjae Spears.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the link golf.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

About the only thing that I felt was spot on was his schedule analysis and prediction, and that is scary. I'll come back to that. The biggest glaring weakness is that he doesn't mention Tyjae Spears at all. But there's other noticeable omissions including the lack of playing complete 60 minute games, inability to get off the field on 3rd and long...the writer clearly didn't watch games or do any "analysis".

But the scary thing is he's predicting another 6 win season, and I pretty much agree. I'm starting to think that Coach Fritz's ceiling is about 8 wins, and that he's a good enough coach to keep us in the 6-8 win range every year. But I'm also questioning if his teams can step up and make 8 wins the floor so that we're consistently in the 8-10 win range and truly competing for the AAC championship year to year?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:41 am About the only thing that I felt was spot on was his schedule analysis and prediction, and that is scary. I'll come back to that. The biggest glaring weakness is that he doesn't mention Tyjae Spears at all. But there's other noticeable omissions including the lack of playing complete 60 minute games, inability to get off the field on 3rd and long...the writer clearly didn't watch games or do any "analysis".

But the scary thing is he's predicting another 6 win season, and I pretty much agree. I'm starting to think that Coach Fritz's ceiling is about 8 wins, and that he's a good enough coach to keep us in the 6-8 win range every year. But I'm also questioning if his teams can step up and make 8 wins the floor so that we're consistently in the 8-10 win range and truly competing for the AAC championship year to year?
The truly scary question is, if Fritz turns in 6 regular season wins every year, how long would it be before Tulane fired him?

ESPN’s FPI pegs Tulane at 8 wins in the regular season, and, if that doesn’t happen, it will be a missed opportunity as Fritz will not likely field a team this strong again for awhile.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

This is the best schedule we have had in years. Huge opportunity to move the needle. I can’t wait!
Dave breslin
Swell

Any word on Tyjae and his rehab? I think he’s the key. Speed kills!
wave97
Swell

How is anything going to change without our football program showing up?
We should be scheduling every perennial OOC top 20 programs that we can.
Nothing, NO Thing will change until we start dropping giants.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:52 am Any word on Tyjae and his rehab? I think he’s the key. Speed kills!
The coaching staff has said he will be ready for fall camp. Hopefully that's the case as he is much needed. A true difference maker.
nawlinspete
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:40 am How is anything going to change without our football program showing up?
We should be scheduling every perennial OOC top 20 programs that we can.
Nothing, NO Thing will change until we start dropping giants.
Well said .

Absolutely correct .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
oliveandblue
Surge

A few things:

1. At the AAC level, the SOS will have more of a W/L impact than the strength of your team. A program at Tulane's level has to schedule intelligently otherwise an 0-4 start will mean that you're playing in front of crickets come October.
2. This schedule is the toughest we've faced in decades.
3. The talent level has improved - and I think winning 6-7 more games is actually a sign of how far things have come. This program used to go 2-10 on this type of schedule.
4. Tulane University has to restructure its athletics if it wants any results against top 20 football teams. It COULD get there, but it has to be willing to carry a pile of fresh debt (we're talking $100M+) out for 15-20 years while it builds all of things it would need to play at the championship level. The school has to find a way to start "paying it forward" - invest in a winner that people will want to donate into.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:27 pm
The truly scary question is, if Fritz turns in 6 regular season wins every year, how long would it be before Tulane fired him?

Dannen is happy with 6 wins
wave97
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:17 pm A few things:

1. At the AAC level, the SOS will have more of a W/L impact than the strength of your team. A program at Tulane's level has to schedule intelligently otherwise an 0-4 start will mean that you're playing in front of crickets come October.
3. The talent level has improved - and I think winning 6-7 more games is actually a sign of how far things have come. This program used to go 2-10 on this type of schedule.
4. Tulane University has to restructure its athletics if it wants any results against top 20 football teams. It COULD get there, but it has to be willing to carry a pile of fresh debt (we're talking $100M+) out for 15-20 years while it builds all of things it would need to play at the championship level. The school has to find a way to start "paying it forward" - invest in a winner that people will want to donate into.
The AAC isn't exactly murderers row. Even if we beat UCF & Cincinnati the perceived value of Tulane football wouldn't move much. So what's at stake other than a meaningless fringe bowl appearance. The bullshit bowls are the equivalent of a participation award for those programs that haven't played anybody but G5 dogs & FCS.
Hello Army?
Last edited by wave97 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MicMan
Swell

No. 3 OU and No. 20 Ole Miss in first three weeks, and No. 8 Cincinnati?

That's a big ask, as they say.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

oliveandblue wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:17 pm A few things:

Exactly. Why should donors give a s#it, if Gibson Hall doesn't give a s#it. Mediocrity (at best) does not inspire passion and support.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
wave97
Swell

We'll find out real fast how this season goes based on the play of our o-line & db's. The new DC & OL coach will be on center stage.
We stay relatively healthy, this could be an interesting year. We're recruiting better athletes. Develop them & unleash them.
It's not that complicated.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:31 am We'll find out real fast how this season goes based on the play of our o-line & db's. The new DC & OL coach will be on center stage.
We stay relatively healthy, this could be an interesting year. We're recruiting better athletes. Develop them & unleash them.
It's not that complicated.
+1