Transfer Rule is Official

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The one time transfer with immediate eligibility has been approved:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... af2e6.html

The dead period on in person recruiting will end June 1st . Football camps are also back on.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Will it help or hurt Tulane?
Jaxwave
Swell

All rule changes will help P-5s more than G-5s. Would never pass if that wasn’t the case.
Houma de Wave
Swell

The “Take No Responsibility for Your Actions” rule.
anEngineer
Riptide

While not as bad, probably makes it more like NFL where at the end of the year, you go shopping for what you need. I'm not so sure it benefits Ps more than Gs. A lot of quality Gs move up, but a lot of good Ps want to play and no room in other Ps for them.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:17 pm All rule changes will help P-5s more than G-5s. Would never pass if that wasn’t the case.
Absolutely!
The better G5 players will look to move up to P5 and the P5 backups that can’t play at that level will look to find a G5 school that they can play at.
That’s what you get now in basketball.
Baseball very likely to be the same.
With some rare exceptions.
Tulane may actually benefit because of its degree and high tuition in this case. A player may be able to get a Tulane degree while only paying one year of a partial tuition. That may be attractive to some better players that value a quality degree.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm The better G5 players will look to move up to P5 and the P5 backups that can’t play at that level will look to find a G5 school that they can play at.
Tulane may actually benefit because of its degree and high tuition in this case. A player may be able to get a Tulane degree while only paying one year of a partial tuition. That may be attractive to some better players that value a quality degree.
TPS, this post is slanted towards baseball and I understand you're one of the biggest baseball fans on the board having played for the Green Wave. But most of us are more concerned with how this will affect football. I wonder if more players that drop down to FCS or Division II or III might stay in D1 G5 now that they don't have to sit out a year?

As far as baseball goes, I think the NCAA has been much more open to immediately playing after transfer. (Remember Micah Owings?) I have no basis for this other than my gut tells me it's due to the limited scholarships and that few are playing on a full baseball scholarship. More important for Tulane is the ability to attract top rated in-state baseball players by offering them in-state free tuition. Has this begun? Is it going to be a big factor, or am I shooting in the dark? I know that pitcher for USL, Will Kinsler, wanted to come to Tulane but it would have cost the family big $$ even after scholarship money and financial aid, yet he's not paying a penny at Southeastern.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:20 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm The better G5 players will look to move up to P5 and the P5 backups that can’t play at that level will look to find a G5 school that they can play at.
TPS, this post is slanted towards baseball and I understand you're one of the biggest baseball fans on the board having played for the Green Wave. But most of us are more concerned with how this will affect football. I wonder if more players that drop down to FCS or Division II or III might stay in D1 G5 now that they don't have to sit out a year?

As far as baseball goes, I think the NCAA has been much more open to immediately playing after transfer. (Remember Micah Owings?) I have no basis for this other than my gut tells me it's due to the limited scholarships and that few are playing on a full baseball scholarship. More important for Tulane is the ability to attract top rated in-state baseball players by offering them in-state free tuition. Has this begun? Is it going to be a big factor, or am I shooting in the dark? I know that pitcher for USL, Will Kinsler, wanted to come to Tulane but it would have cost the family big $$ even after scholarship money and financial aid, yet he's not paying a penny at Southeastern.
FB wise it will likely hurt G5’s
Especially at skilled positions.
Teams are going to have to re-recruit their star players. Imagine the P5 schools that would have loved to be able to sign Matt Forte for one year etc. If our to be Soph QB has another great year I’d imagine he’d get some attractive P5 offers.
Look at what happened to Lisa S in WBB. She lost her best player to a P5. It’s more likely to hurt Tulane in FB and BB but may not in baseball because of tuition and degree potential and may actually help baseball.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

But what affect will in-state free tuition have on baseball? Am I overestimating the ability to keep really good prospects from the state schools?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am But what affect will in-state free tuition have on baseball? Am I overestimating the ability to keep really good prospects from the state schools?
There is no free in state tuition. It has many caveats to it. Income has to be under $100,000 as a threshold.Then they evaluate your situation to determine what they think you will pay and what Tulane will cover:

https://www.nola.com/news/education/art ... cf7d8.html

Also as to Owings there was a long period where baseball was like the other minor sports where players could transfer without sitting out. That changed about a decade ago. Now it's back to not having to sit out.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This is terrible for G5s in general, but the AACs place as the #1 G5 may help it raid the other G5s after it gets raided by P5s.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It will be bad for G5's especially in football and basketball. We'll get a lower rated player who develops and then when we think we're going to have a good season it will be snatched away. It likely help baseball but not to the degree it did before. There are more schools heavily invested in their baseball programs that we will now be competing with for those transfers that we didn't have to back then,.