Dannen and Fritz not going to KU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:55 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:53 pm [media][/media]
ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 pm

It's probably Willy's best, last, and only shot at a P5 job and it's in his home state. And Kansas can't afford to be too picky. It's a match made in Heaven.
It’s a “flaming piece of crap job.” I guess if WF wants to “cash out” on his career after getting fired by Kansas for year 3 so be it.
This is exactly the situation. If Willie goes to Kansas, it's good for Willie and his final 3 or 4 years of coaching. If Willie goes to Kansas, it's won't be good for Kansas. Willie has proven that even at the AAC level, his turnaround program is slow and gradual--he'll get hammered in the Big 12, and his gradual turnaround program will never get off the ground.
And then WF will "cash out" after year 3 (Charlie Weiss won 5 games in 3 seasons, overall - 5-22; David Beaty won 6 games in 4 seasons - overall 6-42 & that "playboy" Les Miles won 3 games in 2 seasons - overall 3-18) and retire to his Kansas farm. :D

HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:53 pm No doubt anytime someone withdraws their name they have believed they aren't getting the job. So we are stuck with TD but it appears WF is in serious consideration. If he goes Long is the obvious and right choice. I've always said that we need a HC who is a hard ass and offensively innovative. He fit s that bill. Sure he'll leave in a couple of seasons but he will have elevated the program to a point where the next pool of candidates will be noticeably better. We were fortunate to get him as OC and we sure as hell better not blow the opportunity to have him as HC.
If Willie decides to "cash out" with Kansas, I think, and hope, that we give Long the HC position. It will prove to be less disruptive, given where we are in the calendar. I also like Chris Long's harder ass approach. And yes, he may well move on in two or three years, and we can then initiate a long and drawn out selection process. Also, Long just might have us performing rather well at just the right time, if we get another round of conference expansion/realignment.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I would rather Bill Clark or Lance Leopold, but you can surely interview Long ( and Will Hall :))
nawlinspete
Riptide

Fritz has to know that he will be fired after three seasons at Kansas . He will never be allowed to take six or more seasons in the BIG12 to just"become competitive" let alone a winner .

Considering his age and the undoubted huge increase in pay he will get at Kansas three may look extremely attractive triggering a huge buy out on his five or six year contract .

Let's hope not .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 am
winwave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:53 pm No doubt anytime someone withdraws their name they have believed they aren't getting the job. So we are stuck with TD but it appears WF is in serious consideration. If he goes Long is the obvious and right choice. I've always said that we need a HC who is a hard ass and offensively innovative. He fit s that bill. Sure he'll leave in a couple of seasons but he will have elevated the program to a point where the next pool of candidates will be noticeably better. We were fortunate to get him as OC and we sure as hell better not blow the opportunity to have him as HC.
If Willie decides to "cash out" with Kansas, I think, and hope, that we give Long the HC position. It will prove to be less disruptive, given where we are in the calendar. I also like Chris Long's harder ass approach. And yes, he may well move on in two or three years, and we can then initiate a long and drawn out selection process. Also, Long just might have us performing rather well at just the right time, if we get another round of conference expansion/realignment.
New KU football coaches average about 3.5 years until they are "let go." Perfect timing for WF since he will then be Medicare eligible! :D :) ;) :thumbup: :wink:
HoustonWave
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:16 pm Fritz has to know that he will be fired after three seasons at Kansas . He will never be allowed to take six or more seasons in the BIG12 to just"become competitive" let alone a winner .

Considering his age and the undoubted huge increase in pay he will get at Kansas three may look extremely attractive triggering a huge buy out on his five or six year contract .

Let's hope not .
No doubt. The KU football head coaching job is a kamikaze mission. No recruiting territory; no fan interest; and tough conference competition. Mission Impossible.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Well, just like Jewett after the 2019 season, Dannen has now shown his hand--he's looking for the first ticket out of Tulane. Prostrating yourself for the Kansas gig is tantamount to saying, "I'll taking anything that gets me out of here."
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Fitts ought to take the leash off of Dannen, and let him wander off into the sunset. Go get Brian White.
breaker
Ripple

Its beautifully ironic that Dannen lost out to someone with ties to the Dickson administration. Dannen wants out badly, and only Fritz is saving Dannen from an awful tenure as AD. Best of luck to Travis at KU - great guy but he has a really tough job ahead.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NotJtS
Low Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:33 pm Fitts ought to take the leash off of Dannen, and let him wander off into the sunset. Go get Brian White.
Dannen has already been wandering for a while now. Bought a huge second home/lake house last Summer back in Iowa for his family and has been spending a lot of time there. He's already checked out, collecting the paycheck for as long as Tulane allows.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NotJtS wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:32 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:33 pm Fitts ought to take the leash off of Dannen, and let him wander off into the sunset. Go get Brian White.
Dannen has already been wandering for a while now. Bought a huge second home/lake house last Summer back in Iowa for his family and has been spending a lot of time there. He's already checked out, collecting the paycheck for as long as Tulane allows.
will Tulane ever hire someone with metro nola or Tulane ties for the AD job ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wow, just wow. No wonder Dannen hasn't raised a plug nickel for Tulane's athletic dept. Just another example of somebody cruising, and lapping at Tulane's trough--all because Tulane continues with its culture of not holding anyone accountable for anything. Tulane--the Mecca of Mediocrity.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:53 pm
Great question. There is no sign that tendency will change any time in the foreseeable future. Somebody with a Tulane background might actually care about the university first, and start holding people accountable--and we can't have something like that happen. All areas of Tulane, athletic and academic, would be turned upside down if everyone was held accountable for their jobs and responsibilities.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

If Fritz wants out, I say goodbye. Three bowls with our record for those years was no great shakes. If he isn't going to put the kabash
on these rumors every year, better he leaves now. In the alternative, maybe Dannen will fall all over himself with extensions of Fritz's
contract. Dannen ain't no great shakes either. I think there are plenty of candidates that would improve on Fritz and Dannen's performance.
Too much unnecessary drama with these two!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Both excellent suggestions. Send them both packing to tornado country.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wave755
Tsunami

We said no to Arnie Fielkow? :roll: He really wanted the job. Same "Old Tulane."🤷‍♂️
anEngineer
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 pm If Fritz wants out, I say goodbye. Three bowls with our record for those years was no great shakes. If he isn't going to put the kabash
on these rumors every year, better he leaves now. In the alternative, maybe Dannen will fall all over himself with extensions of Fritz's
contract. Dannen ain't no great shakes either. I think there are plenty of candidates that would improve on Fritz and Dannen's performance.
Yeah, it's much better to have people that no one else wants.
Profoundwizard
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:59 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 pm If Fritz wants out, I say goodbye. Three bowls with our record for those years was no great shakes. If he isn't going to put the kabash
That’s what we have now.
anEngineer
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 pm
anEngineer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:59 pm
That’s what we have now.
Either no one wants them or everyone wants them and we have to endure the waiting game every year. It can't be both, and the complaints on this thread are that both are occurring regularly.
galvezwave
Swell

I don’t like to knock WF. I’d be glad for him to stay. He’s lifted Tulane from constant embarrassment to somewhat stable. He seems to recruit great kids , and for the first time, seems to have a QB to work with for more than a year. Big bowls and threats to make the playoffs are a pipe dream. Impossible delusions. As for Kansas . What do they want now after the Les debacle? No embarrassment on or off the field? Occasional potato bowl win? Maybe a run at a big 12 final once in a blue moon? If that’s what they want , WF is their guy. (Or Monken for that matter)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Something else to consider:
Willie’s brother, Ed, is a well-regarded and highly success prep basketball coach in Kansas with more than 600 career wins and also a friendly relationship with Self, Kansas’ uber-successful basketball coach and the most influential member of the Jayhawks’ athletics department.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

if U are Kansas, U must recruit the state of Texas..too bad that, UT, Texas A&M, TCU, Tx Tech, Baylor, SMU, Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, 'Bama, lsu, Ohio State and several others, recruit there also...hell, Kansas only has two kids from Kansas on the Basketball roster ! The Sunflowers are nice, but when it comes to high school athletics, it is a wasteland
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:25 pm

We said no to Arnie Fielkow? :roll: He really wanted the job. Same "Old Tulane."🤷‍♂️
Arnie was highly energized and ready to shake everything up, in order to make Tulane athletics successful. All this made him way too dangerous for the Tulane blue bloods and mediocrity-worshipping administration. His energy and effort would have comparatively embarrassed many of the those who have been lapping at the Tulane Trough for way too long.