Dannen and Fritz not going to KU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Post Reply
Tulane1111
Ripple
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:20 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:36 pm

Football Scoop info is typically pretty good btw.


Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Online

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:17 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:16 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:38 pm
wave97 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm
If Coach Fritz bolts this Spring I hope we have learned from the "Lindy Infante non-hire". The single greatest catastrophe for Tulane Football since departing from the SEC.
Would love to see what kind of staff Chip Long could throw together before summer camp. We may be able to improve on our staff with strong and relatively young coaches.
And, let's also learn from our sad history by not "Going nuts" like we did in 1980 and 1998 for then hiring "warn bodies" who would "agree to stay" - in 1980 a washed up Vince Gibson and in 1998 a "shot in the dark" like Chris Scelfo who has never received another HC offer to this day, but he "beat out" RichRod for the job! :roll:

If WF leaves let's "stay cool" and hire somebody up & coming who is good from CUSA, Sunbelt or the MAC - we pay 1.6 million a year, our conference is AAC & we are in New Orleans. If it happens let's stay calm & get it right. And, I have faith in Fitts & Hertz to get it right unlike for Hindman Wall in 1980 & Clown Cowen in 1998 (and remember, Sandy Barbour wanted RR and she was overruled by Clown Cowen). Good coaches will want our job.
Wall had been freinds with Vince for years, on a personal note, I liked Vince and his wife, actually did business with his wife when she had her eatery near the Garden District.... The Scelfo hire is a totally different situation, there was a fully qualified Coach in the building, who wanted the job, and by all accounts seemed to have the job, but "boosters' got involved, and the rest is history..but I do tip my golf visor to Chris Scelfo for telling SC to go f#@k himself......on a side note, there are many former HC's who never get another Head coaching offer
Hindman Wall saying "no" to Lindy Infante cost us the 1980s! For the last page of George Sweeney's book he quotes a fan as saying in hiring Gibson we have hired a "proven loser." Gibson was a nice guy who never should have gotten that job over Lindy Infante.

Infante was the furure, Gibson the past.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3284
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Long has never coached a down for us. No comparison at all with Infante (or RR). That said, he'd probably be our best choice in these circumstances.
As I recall, the Infante situation was more complicated than Wall just stiffing him and hiring Gibson.
galvezwave
Swell
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Monken has done a better job at army than Fritz has at Tulane . I would think WF is the 2nd choice .
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Online

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:04 pm

DrBox wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:01 pm
Long has never coached a down for us. No comparison at all with Infante (or RR). That said, he'd probably be our best choice in these circumstances.
As I recall, the Infante situation was more complicated than Wall just stiffing him and hiring Gibson.
Infante, thinking Smith would be back for the 1980 season, left Tulane to coach quarterbacks for Cincinnati, the Bengals were at the time a top flight NFL team that would win the AFC in 1981 (Infante then OC) but lose to the 49ers 26 to 21 in the Super Bowl. Hindman Wall was angry with Infante after he left following the 1979 season. Remember, the Arizona job didn’t open up for Smith until the Spring of 1980.

George Sweeney writers for page 292, the last page of his book “The Green Wave,” before the appendix, “‘Gibson’s selection came as a surprise. Looking at Gibson’s overall record of 59-81-1, one Wave faithful said: “My God we’ve hired a proven loser.’”

Wall’s incompetence cost us the 1980s. His next hire would then be Wally English.🤦🏻‍♂️
Last edited by Wave755 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Online

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:10 pm

galvezwave wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm
Monken has done a better job at army than Fritz has at Tulane . I would think WF is the 2nd choice .
The Wave has won its last 4 against Army. http://www.winsipedia.com/tulane/vs/army

🤔 “Buffet Bob” Toledo was 1-4 against the Cadets.
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2231
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:12 pm

galvezwave wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm
Monken has done a better job at army than Fritz has at Tulane . I would think WF is the 2nd choice .
Third. 1) Monken, 2) Leopold, 3) Fritz

I think Monken will turn them down but Leopold will probably accept.

It it came to it I see no way that WF would refuse them.
Welcome to gotula.net, where no horse is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:21 pm

Kansas pays their coaches a lot more.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3284
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:25 pm

galvezwave wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm
Monken has done a better job at army than Fritz has at Tulane . I would think WF is the 2nd choice .
Not really; Army plays an easy, easy schedule every year.
The question with him is whether they want to go wishbone. That usually means high floor and low ceiling.
With Fritz, do they want a 60+ coach?
With Leipold, do they want another coach from Buffalo?
They look pretty even to me.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18211
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Leipold is the best choice there.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Tulane1111
Ripple
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:20 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Monken would be a good fit for Tulane as well.....

It seems he is destine for an ACC job. Tulane job may or
may not get him closer to that than Kansas. Same could be said for Coach Fritz.

Both recruit GA, Texas, FL....
Dave breslin
Swell
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:51 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:14 pm

Am I missing something. Wasn’t Goff the AD pick? Outside of the “home” attraction of Fitz going to Kansas (which I understand after living away), why would you go to Kansas football ? Do you like getting kicked in the groin every week? I would think they would want a young gun with vigor. They just got rid of their old guy who had viagra instead of vigor.
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2231
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 pm

Dave breslin wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:14 pm
Am I missing something. Wasn’t Goff the AD pick? Outside of the “home” attraction of Fitz going to Kansas (which I understand after living away), why would you go to Kansas football ? Do you like getting kicked in the groin every week? I would think they would want a young gun with vigor. They just got rid of their old guy who had viagra instead of vigor.
It's probably Willy's best, last, and only shot at a P5 job and it's in his home state. And Kansas can't afford to be too picky. It's a match made in Heaven.
Welcome to gotula.net, where no horse is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:38 pm

DrBox wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:25 pm
galvezwave wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm
Monken has done a better job at army than Fritz has at Tulane . I would think WF is the 2nd choice .
Not really; Army plays an easy, easy schedule every year.
This. Look at what happens when Fritz’s team plays against Monken’s team
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Online

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:38 pm
DrBox wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:25 pm
galvezwave wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm
Monken has done a better job at army than Fritz has at Tulane . I would think WF is the 2nd choice .
Not really; Army plays an easy, easy schedule every year.
This. Look at what happens when Fritz’s team plays against Monken’s team
Yep, Willie is undefeated at Tulane against the Cadets. :yes:
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Online

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:53 pm

[media][/media]
ajcalhoun wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 pm
Dave breslin wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:14 pm
Am I missing something. Wasn’t Goff the AD pick? Outside of the “home” attraction of Fitz going to Kansas (which I understand after living away), why would you go to Kansas football ? Do you like getting kicked in the groin every week? I would think they would want a young gun with vigor. They just got rid of their old guy who had viagra instead of vigor.
It's probably Willy's best, last, and only shot at a P5 job and it's in his home state. And Kansas can't afford to be too picky. It's a match made in Heaven.
It’s a “flaming piece of crap job.” I guess if WF wants to “cash out” on his career after getting fired by Kansas for year 3 so be it.
gbgreenie
Surge
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:13 am

Wow, this is a freaking comedy show, Willie Fritz is at Tulane as long as they will have him. His son is over player evaluation so it would be a 2 for 1. Fake sports gets you guys every time. Age, Willie does not want to start over, the only way he would ever leave is if a well established program came along with lots of money and he would just slide into a winning program. Quit blowing hot air because its going nowhere, lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2231
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:29 am

gbgreenie wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:13 am
Wow, this is a freaking comedy show, Willie Fritz is at Tulane as long as they will have him. His son is over player evaluation so it would be a 2 for 1. Fake sports gets you guys every time. Age, Willie does not want to start over, the only way he would ever leave is if a well established program came along with lots of money and he would just slide into a winning program. Quit blowing hot air because its going nowhere, lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll offer a ban bet. If CWF is offered the KU job and turns it down I will leave this site forever. If he takes it then you must leave. If he isn't offered then everybody continues normally.
Welcome to gotula.net, where no horse is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
galvezwave
Swell
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 am

Wave755 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 pm
Profoundwizard wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:38 pm
DrBox wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:25 pm

Not really; Army plays an easy, easy schedule every year.
This. Look at what happens when Fritz’s team plays against Monken’s team
Yep, Willie is undefeated at Tulane against the Cadets. :yes:
I didn’t really say army has a better team . I said he did a better job with what he has to work with. Fritz will never have a 10+ win season here .
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3284
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:04 am

galvezwave wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 am
I didn’t really say army has a better team . I said he did a better job with what he has to work with. Fritz will never have a 10+ win season here .
They recruit 50 or so players each year, put them in a prep school for a year and then cull them.
Now they're not going to get the top talent; but they also audition at least double the number of players. And then you put an offensive system on top of that (all of the successful academy teams for the last 30 years have had a system) and you can win football games. It's different, but works pretty well, albeit with a ceiling.
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1865
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:25 am

galvezwave wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm
Monken has done a better job at army than Fritz has at Tulane . I would think WF is the 2nd choice .
Choosing Jeff Monken and the full bore wishbone would no doubt bring some degree of success by sheer novelty.
Initially Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech had success with the bone's idiosyncratic nature alone. It's a punch you in the face, fast impact offense that eventually gets dialed-into by good DC's. After that your program is left with:
>Large slow WR's who can block on every play and on occasion catch a football when no one is withing 30 yards of him.
>O-lineman who couldn't pass protect to save their lives.
> A defense that practices every day against "the bone", leaving them ill equipped defending against zone blocking schemes (full on pass rush, man-to-man coverage, zone blitz & gapping up front).
Coach Fritz never ran the wishbone. Even when he was at Georgia Southern, he introduced zone blocking to Jeff Monken's full wishbone.
If Jeff Monken & Coach Fritz really are the two leading candidates KU has a big decision to make, commit to short term success with Jeff Monken, or a more deliberate progress with an aging Willy Fritz.
Last edited by wave97 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:54 am

You guys are TOTALLY missing the point! There is so much for AD’s, coaches and players to do and see in Lawrence, Kansas!!
There’s um......and there’s a.........and the food is......um.......
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1865
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:05 am

You mean bang a bunch of beautiful Chicago girls? It's actually a nice town that attracts about 40% of enrollment from metro Chicago.
If you want remote places KSU & ISU are far and away more isolated plain state pool tables.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4053
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:55 am

Wave755 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:53 pm
[media][/media]
ajcalhoun wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 pm
Dave breslin wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:14 pm
Am I missing something. Wasn’t Goff the AD pick? Outside of the “home” attraction of Fitz going to Kansas (which I understand after living away), why would you go to Kansas football ? Do you like getting kicked in the groin every week? I would think they would want a young gun with vigor. They just got rid of their old guy who had viagra instead of vigor.
It's probably Willy's best, last, and only shot at a P5 job and it's in his home state. And Kansas can't afford to be too picky. It's a match made in Heaven.
It’s a “flaming piece of crap job.” I guess if WF wants to “cash out” on his career after getting fired by Kansas for year 3 so be it.
This is exactly the situation. If Willie goes to Kansas, it's good for Willie and his final 3 or 4 years of coaching. If Willie goes to Kansas, it's won't be good for Kansas. Willie has proven that even at the AAC level, his turnaround program is slow and gradual--he'll get hammered in the Big 12, and his gradual turnaround program will never get off the ground.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4053
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:45 pm
one "withdraws" his name, when told by the hiring school, they have been eliminated from consideration, thus giving them an opportunity to "safe face" so to speak...Travis to KU, may be a plus for Tulane, he may vote for TU when expansion comes up next year
Great point about Travis supporting Tulane if there is any Big 12 expansion. And as far as Dannen "withdrawing" his name, that's just Dannen worrying about his own image, as usual. The truth is, Kansas probably did their homework and found out that Dannen has done next to nothing at Tulane, in almost six years.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Post Reply