Ron Hunter gets extension thru 2026

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Dickson had how many years ? And what did Dickson inherit?

Half of Dannen’s coaches would happily be hired by other schools (fritz and hunter). Now you guys will get cute and say fritz hasn’t been hired for any other jobs and that will show you’re out of your minds. Fritz is constantly rated and respected as one of the best G5 coaches.

As far as fundraising, yeah Dannen is trash at that element and I believe he is just waiting to get football into the top 25 and into the ncaa tournament to bail him
Out. Speaking of which let’s not forget 3 (minor) bowls in a row and rated #26 in the country in football . . I think some folks need to go revisit the posts from the Toledo and CJ days.

Around the league people now longer want us to be booted out (we used to be perpetually mentioned with Tulsa as trash). They see we are a real athletic program now with a respectable basketball program (sad that’s an accomplishment) and a football team that will be in the top 25 this year or next.

Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:01 pmNever ends.

Here we go Winwave! Add this to my, “until we become serious” debates!

2026? Really?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 am Dickson had how many years ? And what did Dickson inherit?

Half of Dannen’s coaches would happily be hired by other schools (fritz and hunter). Now you guys will get cute and say fritz hasn’t been hired for any other jobs and that will show you’re out of your minds. Fritz is constantly rated and respected as one of the best G5 coaches.

As far as fundraising, yeah Dannen is trash at that element and I believe he is just waiting to get football into the top 25 and into the ncaa tournament to bail him
Out. Speaking of which let’s not forget 3 (minor) bowls in a row and rated #26 in the country in football . . I think some folks need to go revisit the posts from the Toledo and CJ days.

Around the league people now longer want us to be booted out (we used to be perpetually mentioned with Tulsa as trash). They see we are a real athletic program now with a respectable basketball program (sad that’s an accomplishment) and a football team that will be in the top 25 this year or next.
First off, the best hire TD has made, IMHO, is Barnes, the VB coach. Fritz is a good coach, not a great one. Hunter we shall see, but his schtick has rubbed me the wrong way more often than not.

But secondly, and the reason I responded, is that the conference as a whole, when it was still the Big East, did not want Tulane. Frankly, I don't think it was put to a vote. Tulane joining is widely cited as the last straw in the final breakup of the old and gloried Big East. Keep in mind the BE was a P6 football conference and one of the strongest in basketball as well.

Tulsa should be asked to leave? When was that discussed? They've been solid in basketball and football most of the time they've been in the conference. I think they had 2 lousy years in football but have shown they're on the comeback trail a lot faster than others (see the mirror).

Through friends and family I know fans of Navy, UCF, USF, SMU, ECU, Cinci, and WSU. I've never heard them say that they or their peers wanted Tulane out after we'd been in a couple of years. I don't know who Tricky Rick had pictures of, but the biggest coup of his tenure at Tulane was getting us out of what's become a horrible C-USA into the BE/AAC. We weren't wanted but were rather quickly accepted. Fritz has a whole lot to do with that. But he's never been the best coach in the AAC, and to this day is still in the middle of the pack.

I don't think Dannen has been a great AD, nor a bad one. Dr. Kevin White (despised at ND) and Sandy Barbour were great AD's that Tulane didn't appreciate nearly enough. Troy is a step up from Dickson, but his work is still in progress. And he'd be the first to tell you, if I read him correctly.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:44 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 am Dickson had how many years ? And what did Dickson inherit?

First off, the best hire TD has made, IMHO, is Barnes, the VB coach. Fritz is a good coach, not a great one. Hunter we shall see, but his schtick has rubbed me the wrong way more often than not.

But secondly, and the reason I responded, is that the conference as a whole, when it was still the Big East, did not want Tulane. Frankly, I don't think it was put to a vote. Tulane joining is widely cited as the last straw in the final breakup of the old and gloried Big East. Keep in mind the BE was a P6 football conference and one of the strongest in basketball as well.

Tulsa should be asked to leave? When was that discussed? They've been solid in basketball and football most of the time they've been in the conference. I think they had 2 lousy years in football but have shown they're on the comeback trail a lot faster than others (see the mirror).

Through friends and family I know fans of Navy, UCF, USF, SMU, ECU, Cinci, and WSU. I've never heard them say that they or their peers wanted Tulane out after we'd been in a couple of years. I don't know who Tricky Rick had pictures of, but the biggest coup of his tenure at Tulane was getting us out of what's become a horrible C-USA into the BE/AAC. We weren't wanted but were rather quickly accepted. Fritz has a whole lot to do with that. But he's never been the best coach in the AAC, and to this day is still in the middle of the pack.

I don't think Dannen has been a great AD, nor a bad one. Dr. Kevin White (despised at ND) and Sandy Barbour were great AD's that Tulane didn't appreciate nearly enough. Troy is a step up from Dickson, but his work is still in progress. And he'd be the first to tell you, if I read him correctly.
Except that credit goes to Barbara Burke on Jim Barnes being hired. Burke was acting AD at the time and was applying for the permit position when she contacted Barnes. Dannen just happened to walk in on it.
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... bd3d3.html
"I would like to thank Barbara Burke who started the conversation with me about this position.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:34 am Except that credit goes to Barbara Burke on Jim Barnes being hired. Burke was acting AD at the time and was applying for the permit position when she contacted Barnes. Dannen just happened to walk in on it.
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... bd3d3.html
"I would like to thank Barbara Burke who started the conversation with me about this position.
You are absolutely right, and I knew and forgot about that.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I don’t really disagree with anything you said CT. I believe it was unanimous for us to join the Big East when voted on, but a couple school abstained from voting (cute).

Tulsa has been seen as a school that doesn’t really fit the Americans profile. It is a TINY private school, that doesn’t have a huge market, and has had significant problems with funding and they turned into trash in football. Obviously a lot of the talk from American fans has quieted down after last year. No one is being kicked out of the American, this is just “fan talk”. Tulsa was also voted in around the same time as us and was also seen as another school that broke the Big East’s back. This is to the best of my recollection which may be a little off.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:33 pm I don’t really disagree with anything you said CT. I believe it was unanimous for us to join the Big East when voted on, but a couple school abstained from voting (cute).

Tulsa has been seen as a school that doesn’t really fit the Americans profile. It is a TINY private school, that doesn’t have a huge market, and has had significant problems with funding and they turned into trash in football. Obviously a lot of the talk from American fans has quieted down after last year. No one is being kicked out of the American, this is just “fan talk”. Tulsa was also voted in around the same time as us and was also seen as another school that broke the Big East’s back. This is to the best of my recollection which may be a little off.
hmmm..The Big East, luvers of basketball... Tulsa has been in the NCAA tournament 16 times with a record of 12-16... they have also won the NIT 2 times...1981 and 2001..... The big east problem with Tulsa, was that it was not in the east...the big east issues with tulane, it was not very good ...also take a good look at the basketball coaches Tulsa has employed, tulane should be so lucky...smith n street has named Tulaa one of the top 5o basketball programs of all time... I wunda where Tulane is on that list
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:44 am

Actually it was Cowen who got us out. He was friends with the UCF president who had degrees from Tulane. The UCF President put it in motion with Aresco on behalf of Cowen. Aresco had a very positive response and noted he was friends with RD.

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-hu ... story.html
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm not a proponent of releasing the trap door under Hunter just yet. Give him another year...perhaps two contingent upon recruiting and/or winning success next year.

But an extension? Really? Can anyone recall a coach with a worse winning conference record getting an extension? Ever?
nawlinspete
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:53 pm I'm not a proponent of releasing the trap door under Hunter just yet. Give him another year...perhaps two contingent upon recruiting and/or winning success next year.

But an extension? Really? Can anyone recall a coach with a worse winning conference record getting an extension? Ever?
Hunter has to start recruiting high schoolers , with an occasional portal or grad player . Not the other way around as he is doing now .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
hullabaloo
Ripple

Some of you are a great bunch of "fans"...good grief, sooo negative. Hunter inherited a steaming pile of crap from Dunleavy. The damage he did cannot be understated, and Hunter is digging out of the whole Dunleavy left as we speak. When Hunter turns this program around, there's a lot of knuckleheads on here who will be eating crow.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

hullabaloo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:40 pm Some of you are a great bunch of "fans"...good grief, sooo negative. Hunter inherited a steaming pile of crap from Dunleavy. The damage he did cannot be understated, and Hunter is digging out of the whole Dunleavy left as we speak. When Hunter turns this program around, there's a lot of knuckleheads on here who will be eating crow.
+1.

I also don;t disagree Tulsa has in recent history been a far superior basketball ( and football) school then us. Thats not the point, if it was then why isn't USM in the AAC? The AAC is a business, and it has a criteria. Of whats left over from the P5 -Schools that play in big markets are the priority, with points for current success, past history, region, academics and fan base to a lesser degree. Growth potential and eyeballs are also huge. With that being said- guess what, USM isn't getting invited to the party. Tulsa doesn't really fit the model either as its a small private school with no money. Also Big east schools used to rag on Tulane and Tulsa to recruits.
anEngineer
Riptide

hullabaloo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:40 pm Some of you are a great bunch of "fans"...good grief, sooo negative. Hunter inherited a steaming pile of crap from Dunleavy. The damage he did cannot be understated, and Hunter is digging out of the whole Dunleavy left as we speak. When Hunter turns this program around, there's a lot of knuckleheads on here who will be eating crow.
This site has becoming a steaming pile of Tulane bashing due to a few dominant posters. Coach Hunter is without a doubt the best coach this program could possibly get. Fire him and see what you get. If he can't win at Tulane, it can't be done.
Profoundwizard
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:04 am
This site has becoming a steaming pile of Tulane bashing due to a few dominant posters. Coach Hunter is without a doubt the best coach this program could possibly get. Fire him and see what you get. If he can't win at Tulane, it can't be done.
Nobody said that he needs to be fired. Just that he’s not earned an extension yet
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:28 am
Nobody said that he needs to be fired. Just that he’s not earned an extension yet
Exactly. Dannen just didn't want to deal with the pressure, in case Hunter's team next season doesn't show improvement. The extension is a vaccination for Dannen.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

For the most part all you do is come here to bash Tulane fans. While things are better under the current administration things are still bad as evidenced by the lack of attendance at our athletic events. Being better than SC/RD is low bar syndrome. For those who need to hear all is well all the time when it comes to Tulane athletics the best advice is to stay off social media. As to Hunter maybe a couple of people have said he should be fired but this thread is about the extension not firing him. It is also absurd to assert that if he can't do it no one can. Like Fritz he had success at lower levels. He's never coached at this level. We''ll know in two years if he has what it takes or if this is a Peter Principle situation.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Why would anyone lock up and reward a losing coach til 2026?
That’s 5 more years. This extension was not earned or necessary.
IM42lane
Swell

Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:27 pm Why would anyone lock up and reward a losing coach until 2026?
That’s 5 more years. This extension was not earned or necessary.
YES, definitely!!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I wish Dannen was as willing to cut a check for a new football ops and training center, as he is extensions to average performing coaches.
GreenLantern
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:26 pm I wish Dannen was as willing to cut a check for a new football ops and training center, as he is extensions to average performing coaches.

"average"? I infer average to mean .500 or better. I would take a little average about now.

The question I posed a couple days ago: Can anyone recall a coach with a worse conference record getting a contract extension?
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:26 pm I wish Dannen was as willing to cut a check for a new football ops and training center, as he is extensions to average performing coaches.

"average"? I infer average to mean .500 or better. I would take a little average about now.

The question I posed a couple days ago: Can anyone recall a coach with a worse conference record getting a contract extension?
Dunleavy
ajcalhoun
Swell

Show Me wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Dunleavy

God Bless Everyone!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I say average only because of Fritz, which I think is on the north side of average. Hunter hasn’t been average yet, but he inherited Dannen’s homemade basketball disaster. I’m still hopeful Hunter can get it done, but he obviously didn’t deserve a 5 year extension. The Jewett disaster is only slightly exceeded by the Dumbleavy disaster. In the end it’s all on Disaster Dannen.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

with the extension, Hunter proclaims "Happy Meals for everyone"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Dunleavy
Did Dunleavy actually get an extension?