Spring Practice 2021

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:43 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:19 am
Pepper wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:14 am Obviously you never saw Terrance Jones.
Who was almost as good as Shaun King, JP Losman and Patrick Ramsey. Almost, but not quite.
I have to disagree with you D. Terrence Jones was definitely better than Losman and Ramsey, just not the then-NFL type. I would have loved seeing him in Rich Rod's offense. I think he would have put up Shaun King-like numbers.
in RR's offense Shaun King would have apsired to put up Jones' numbers

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:14 am Obviously you never saw Terrance Jones.
Who was almost as good as Shaun King, JP Losman and Patrick Ramsey. Almost, but not quite.
I have to disagree with you D. Terrence Jones was definitely better than Losman and Ramsey, just not the then-NFL type. I would have loved seeing him in Rich Rod's offense. I think he would have put up Shaun King-like numbers.
It's ok to disagree. I'll stand by my ratings, and point out that Jones wasn't small by any stretch of the imagination. He is/was 6'3".
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

Pepper wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:14 am
gbgreenie wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:26 am [quote=Bicoastalwave post_id=221546 time=1617142052 user_id=559
Gbgreenie I applaud your enthusiasm and I sincerely hope you get to rub your prediction in all of our faces in a few months and then again at the end of a successful career with Kai Horton leading us to a W over LSU. Hopefully right after that win, LSU is given the death penalty
Hey, Kai Horton has not lost a football game in 3 years of Quarterbacking after being a basketball player. Throws 86 TD with only 8 int. 2 State Championships in Texas. The Wave has never signed a QB with these Credentials, A QB that does not know how to lose is someone to get excited about. I am really wondering why I am out on a limb when these film clips, these stats speak for themselves. I have never in my time as a Tulane Fan seen a QB like Kai Horton. I go as far back as Bobby Duhon, Kai is the real thing!!!
Obviously you never saw Terrance Jones.
[/quote]

I saw all of them, I am talking about coming out of high school, we will see his show in the years to come. He has the size, mobility, arm and accuracy. Shaun King lacked size, Ramsey was not as mobile, Losman was erratic, liked Jones he should have gotten a shot in the NFL, of course Jones had Zeno the best hands receiver bar none, he made catches that were unbelievable. Duhon was tough but not big, Steve Foley made some great runs and was a great athlete, but Horton is a true 6'4" 215 lbs. perfect Pro QB.
Jones brought Zeno to Tulane with him, Kai Horton bring Mason Courtney to Tulane with him, coincidence, lol
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:08 pm

I saw both play and it's ok to agree to disagree. At 6'3", Jones wasn't too small to play in the NFL, yet he would have been un-drafted had the Chargers not felt compelled to take a shot at making him a DB. His career in the CFL, where it's much more wide open was nothing to write home about. And sorry, but Jones couldn't pick up Kyler Murray's jock. Jones was a very good college quarterback and yes, probably would be more appreciated today than in the late 80's. But my opinion puts him down the list a bit further than where you and some others list him.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Fair enough, I'll agree to disagree. :cheers:
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We all loved TJ. He was a good college QB. The only thing that kept him from getting a shot in the NFL was he had no touch. Everything was a hard throw. I enjoyed watching him play for us but I always knew it wasn't his race or height but his lack of touch that would hold him back. Mack refused to help him because he was just interested in moving on.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Any word from practice this week and upcoming spring game ? Especially with rumors swirling and smoke forming regarding Td and Wf moving on ?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:05 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:08 pm

I saw both play and it's ok to agree to disagree. At 6'3", Jones wasn't too small to play in the NFL, yet he would have been un-drafted had the Chargers not felt compelled to take a shot at making him a DB. His career in the CFL, where it's much more wide open was nothing to write home about. And sorry, but Jones couldn't pick up Kyler Murray's jock. Jones was a very good college quarterback and yes, probably would be more appreciated today than in the late 80's. But my opinion puts him down the list a bit further than where you and some others list him.
not sure where Jones' stats came from, but he I doubt he is 6'3" tall, and 210 pounds...I met and spoke with young man several times.. I am 6'2" and he was nowhere close to my height...

https://allstatesugarbowl.org/classic/t ... l-of-fame/

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... nes-1.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

Terrance played an SEC schedule basically. For what it’s worth. His freshman year he backed up Karcher, Mack wanted him on the field. He played some running back and pretty much looked like Marcus Allen. If I had to pick a guy today to compare it would probably be Taysom hill . Although TJ was a better passer . But an all American WR didn’t hurt TJ either so there’s that
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:40 am
not sure where Jones' stats came from, but he I doubt he is 6'3" tall, and 210 pounds...I met and spoke with young man several times.. I am 6'2" and he was nowhere close to my height...

https://allstatesugarbowl.org/classic/t ... l-of-fame/

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... nes-1.html
Sports reference dot com,

It's right there in the second article you posted. Look in the upper left hand corner. It lists him as 6'3" and 232, whereas other sites list him as 6'3" and 210. Now, I trust your face to face (or eyeball to hairline) judgement more than a website, but that's where the 6'3" came from.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 pm Any word from practice this week and upcoming spring game ? Especially with rumors swirling and smoke forming regarding Td and Wf moving on ?
Mass email went out earlier this week. Spring game is Saturday, admission is free.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Defense dominates:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 2c785.html

We are missing some starters on the O-line but we clearly still don't have any depth there.

Per WF comments doesn't look like the spring game will be much as it will be short and using a lot of the younger guys.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

OL will determine success or failure in 2021.
gbgreenie
Surge

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:08 am OL will determine success or failure in 2021.
With a weak offensive line we need a QB that can scrabble and make plays on the run, is that Pratt? We will see, also will Pratt stay healthy if he takes too many hits, leaves the door open for Horton or Ibieta!!!
https://www.ktre.com/2020/09/30/red-zon ... er-gilmer/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:08 am OL will determine success or failure in 2021.
Line play on both sides of the ball determines success or failure every year. The real football players who never get close to the credit they deserve.
MicMan
Swell

When it was an excellent read with a real sports section, the Village Voice picked Jones to win the Heisman his senior year.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:28 am
With a weak offensive line we need a QB that can scrabble and make plays on the run, is that Pratt? We will see, also will Pratt stay healthy if he takes too many hits, leaves the door open for Horton or Ibieta!!!
With a weak OL, we'll in all likelihood need all three QB's, just to make it through the season. We may need all three just to make it through the OU game.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:14 pm
With a weak OL, we'll in all likelihood need all three QB's, just to make it through the season. We may need all three just to make it through the OU game.
Houston wave here is the solution to a week line, Throw quick timing routes in under 3.5 seconds. Don't hang onto the ball.
http://sites.psu.edu/hefcoach14/wp-cont ... .docx1.pdf
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/upl ... ECTION.pdf
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think someone at Tulane deleted the Bubble screen (and overall screen) section of that guide 10+ years ago.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:57 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:14 pm

Houston wave here is the solution to a week line, Throw quick timing routes in under 3.5 seconds. Don't hang onto the ball.
http://sites.psu.edu/hefcoach14/wp-cont ... .docx1.pdf
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/upl ... ECTION.pdf
gb, I don’t disagree with your suggestion, but we’ve shown no ability to complete short passes for years. For whatever reason, we’ve never schemed them, even when our QB was being destroyed. And we’re still trying to find WRs who can catch a football.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Anyone make the Spring Game ?