Tulane Beats UNO 7-1

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I don’t see Schloss leaving TCU for Texas. Even Texas doesn’t fire baseball coaches over a bad weekend series. If they have a bad season, sure. But 1 bad weekend doesn’t put a baseball coach on thin ice.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:06 pm I don’t see Schloss leaving TCU for Texas. Even Texas doesn’t fire baseball coaches over a bad weekend series. If they have a bad season, sure. But 1 bad weekend doesn’t put a baseball coach on thin ice.
His 5th year and the program hadn’t improved. He won’t be fired next week but if he doesn’t get a CWS this year I believe he’s done. I believe Schloss would take it mainly because of his relationship with the Texas AD.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

I think there’s a lot more nuance to it than “CWS this year or he gets fired”. Starting in 2013 the program started to slide under Augie. I also don’t think it’s accurate to say that the program hasn’t improved in Pierce’s 5 years.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:10 pm I think there’s a lot more nuance to it than “CWS this year or he gets fired”. Starting in 2013 the program started to slide under Augie. I also don’t think it’s accurate to say that the program hasn’t improved in Pierce’s 5 years.
Augie earned his slack time. I think they will move on if he doesn’t deliver something this season.
Look at UT FB. This AD not going to stand for mediocrity
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one earns slack time because no one is above the program. If you collect the check you need to perform.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Normally I would agree but he’s the rare exception.
Not only was he above the program but he was above the entire sport. There wasn’t another person that did what he did for the sport of college baseball.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree he did a lot for college baseball but no one under any circumstance is above the program or the game itself.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He was only the winningest coach in college baseball history. He earned slack time.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No he didn't. No one does . Take the check do the job.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:56 pm No he didn't. No one does . Take the check do the job.
Who is suggesting that it’s ok for him to collect the check and not put in the work? All tps is saying is that a coach like Augie has a lot of goodwill built up. He gets more time to turn things around than the average coach because of what he’s accomplished.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He said he got slack time. Slacking don't cut it.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Slack
adjective
not taut or held tightly in position; loose.
"a slack rope"

Meaning he doesn’t have a tight leash.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:56 pm No he didn't. No one does . Take the check do the job.
Who is suggesting that it’s ok for him to collect the check and not put in the work? All tps is saying is that a coach like Augie has a lot of goodwill built up. He gets more time to turn things around than the average coach because of what he’s accomplished.
Exactly
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:39 am Slack
adjective
"a slack rope"

Correct
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There comes a time with all coaches where they can't get it done anymore and if they were as loyal to the program as they asked other sto be they would move on. If they don't they need to be shown the door. Again no one is above the program.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

adjective
"a slack rope"

He should be at all times. Players aren't allowed to slack. No person is allowed to bring the program down thus making it harder to bring back.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:22 am
adjective
"a slack rope"

He should be at all times. Players aren't allowed to slack. No person is allowed to bring the program down thus making it harder to bring back.
“Allowed to slack” you’re using the verb “slack” tps is using the adjective. They have different meanings.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was used here in this sense:

5: lacking in completeness, finish, or perfection
a very slack piece of work

You can play semantics all you want. It was clear that he meant that because of past performance he should be allowed to stay on the job even though he can't do it anymore.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:06 am It was used here in this sense:

5: lacking in completeness, finish, or perfection
a very slack piece of work

You can play semantics all you want. It was clear that he meant that because of past performance he should be allowed to stay on the job even though he can't do it anymore.
It was used as a different part of speech, so it couldn’t have been used in that sense
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was used in the way I said. Obvious for all to see. By y'alls reasoning Rick Jones would never have coached at Tulane. Brockhoff had bought a place on Diamondhead and was calling of practices if there were clouds in the sky saying it was going to rain. The team greatly underperformed. He was in a meeting with the team when he was called in by AD Kevin White and relieved of his duties. If White had believed like you two do that he should have been given time because of what he did in the past Rick Jones would have never coached at Tulane. He would have taken the GT job when it opened that summer.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Funny how this thread got Hijacked.
Golf brought up Texas and it went off tangent. We got a nice win Tuesday night against one of our local rivals. I hope all former and current Tulane coaches and players have great success and win in the future except when they played against Tulane, the Saints or the Pels.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:04 am It was used in the way I said. Obvious for all to see. By y'alls reasoning Rick Jones would never have coached at Tulane. Brockhoff had bought a place on Diamondhead and was calling of practices if there were clouds in the sky saying it was going to rain. The team greatly underperformed. He was in a meeting with the team when he was called in by AD Kevin White and relieved of his duties. If White had believed like you two do that he should have been given time because of what he did in the past Rick Jones would have never coached at Tulane. He would have taken the GT job when it opened that summer.
By our reasoning? You think me and tps came up with the idea that coaches who have accomplished a lot get a longer leash? Right or wrong it happens quite a bit. Sean Payton got a raise after three straight 7-9 seasons.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad Kevin White didn't succumb to that thinking.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Weird. You always tell us that Jones wasn’t any good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Never ever said that. Surprised you don't care if he ever got hired.