ULL Wins The Series 2 Games To 1

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:49 pm Bad loss. Have to hold serve at home. Too many mistakes. Weak behind the plate with throwing runners out. Weak in the outfield in catching routine fly balls. All the talk and hype on our pitching staff I was disappointed. UNO has owned us recently I hope we bounce back Tuesday. Frustrating watching at home I enjoyed the game more once I muted my TV.
I agree with a lot there but the outfield comment is dead wrong. Stevens made a terrible mistake but Hart is the real deal with covering a lot of ground and making good catches.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Oh Brother wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:16 pm It’s terrible that Dannen has allowed our only consistently good sport to go into the abyss with football and basketball by hiring and retaining Jewett who has done absolutely nothing in 6 years- why is this clown still here? Dannen just doesn’t get it, we have always been better than this. We can compete with the big boys in this sport
We did have a 6 year period where we didn't make a Regional. Who was the coach? BTW, Retif is the one who saved the program and began building it back to a winner. He did it for free because the school was literally going to drop baseball. He then was the one who said his replacement needed to be Brockhoff when he had to run his successful business full time. He then continued to help with recruiting forever.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
swampnik
Surge

Exciting neck and neck series to start off the year. 3rd game the TU hitting came alive. Tough series loss. Bounce back Tuesday to right the ship.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:18 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:49 pm Bad loss. Have to hold serve at home. Too many mistakes. Weak behind the plate with throwing runners out. Weak in the outfield in catching routine fly balls. All the talk and hype on our pitching staff I was disappointed. UNO has owned us recently I hope we bounce back Tuesday. Frustrating watching at home I enjoyed the game more once I muted my TV.
I agree with a lot there but the outfield comment is dead wrong. Stevens made a terrible mistake but Hart is the real deal with covering a lot of ground and making good catches.
Yes. But I didn’t want to mention names. But on one of the misplays yesterday the CF should have called off the RF. I believe that was due to inexperience not lack of ability.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well there was only one mistake and everyone knew who it was. :D
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:26 pm
Oh Brother wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:16 pm It’s terrible that Dannen has allowed our only consistently good sport to go into the abyss with football and basketball by hiring and retaining Jewett who has done absolutely nothing in 6 years- why is this clown still here? Dannen just doesn’t get it, we have always been better than this. We can compete with the big boys in this sport
We did have a 6 year period where we didn't make a Regional. Who was the coach? BTW, Retif is the one who saved the program and began building it back to a winner. He did it for free because the school was literally going to drop baseball. He then was the one who said his replacement needed to be Brockhoff when he had to run his successful business full time. He then continued to help with recruiting forever.
and if I remember correctly, Joe B initially was a "part time Coach at Tulane, he still taught at EJ and then went to Tulane for Practice and Games.. he used his sick leave, personal time accrued, when he had to leave early for afternoon games and for travel
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

“You know” :mrgreen:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Oh Brother
Low Tide

My son attended Brockhoffs summer program- we wound up adopting one of his dogs. We were good in the Metro Conference and Jones carried us to great heights. I recall after first CWS , a group of us spent a lot of time with him while he was mulling over taking the job at UGA. Thankfully he stayed.. I am seeing nothing in Jewett that makes me feel like he will restore our program to this wonderful glory years where we played big time schools in big games and always were competitive.
Show Me
Tsunami

Oh Brother wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:49 am My son attended Brockhoffs summer program- we wound up adopting one of his dogs. We were good in the Metro Conference and Jones carried us to great heights. I recall after first CWS , a group of us spent a lot of time with him while he was mulling over taking the job at UGA. Thankfully he stayed.. I am seeing nothing in Jewett that makes me feel like he will restore our program to this wonderful glory years where we played big time schools in big games and always were competitive.
I was not a fan of TJ’s hiring. I wanted Andy. But I believe TJ can get us to where Pierce got us. This weekend was disappointing we actually had a chance to sweep but didn’t execute. Too many mistakes. I don’t think there will be another coach in any sport that can duplicate what RJ did here. It was truly astounding for the program to be ranked #1 for most of 2005.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

The tough thing about 2005 besides that tough loss in the CWS was The effect Katrina had on the program. As you will remember, the field had been a helicopter landing field, the team was having to drive out to Airline to play in that massive park and the recruiting momentum we had after 2005 was crushed by Katrina. Probably cost RJ a couple more trips to Omaha.
Show Me
Tsunami

Oh Brother wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 pm The tough thing about 2005 besides that tough loss in the CWS was The effect Katrina had on the program. As you will remember, the field had been a helicopter landing field, the team was having to drive out to Airline to play in that massive park and the recruiting momentum we had after 2005 was crushed by Katrina. Probably cost RJ a couple more trips to Omaha.
Absolutely
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What really hurts us is that starting under Brockhoff we began truly investing in the program and facilities. We built Turchin. We made Brockhoff full time. We kept that commitment and then some under RJ. Many bigger athletic departments weren't investing in baseball because it couldn't make money. Then along came Bertman and he showed it could make money for the athletic department. Of course many others followed and invested in their programs. So there's a whole lot more competition in the sport now. We had a window to win Omaha and unfortunately didn't. We were a Regional program I think we can get back to making regionals . I doubt we'll do it in long stretches of consecutive appearances but we can make them in spurts. You can never say never but it's real long shot for baseball to get back to Omaha and I no longer believe it's a sport where we can win it all. We need football and basketball to step up their game to help keep our fan base interested in our athletic program.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

You’re correct that in the early Jones years, there were not many big conference schools seriously interested in baseball, we had access to the legislative scholarships through John Hainkel’s tireless efforts and the NCAA allowed schools to break a scholarship into pieces that allowed us to help more interested student athletes. Those days are gone and I agree it will not be a reasonable expectation to advance to a super regional or CWS very frequently. Despite my own skepticism about Jewett’s ability as an on the field coach, last year”s team might have gotten us into the tournament and advancing. We had pitching andower hitting and the early 15-2 record reflected that. Buy that yea is gone and this one doesn’t seem to have power hitting and at least this weekend, played poor defense and lots of unforced errors. I still think we could get a high powered coach and fill that great stadium every game.

interested
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree about last years team. We were on the cusp of finding out if they were for real. They were coming up on a two week stretch that would have told us the answer. TJ and some of the players referenced that in their preseason interviews this year. I think they would have proven they were the real deal but we'll never know.
Wave755
Tsunami

But, there is hope since beginning fall 2021 free tuition for Louisiana residents may well prove to be a boon for Tulane baseball. :D :) 8-)
arkhou02
High Tide

Take several minutes to read the following:

Jake Gautreau enters his third season on the Mississippi State baseball coaching staff, serving as the recruiting coordinator, hitting instructor and infielders coach.

Gautreau’s passion for the game has enabled him to achieve success at every level of the game: high school, college, professional, and coaching. The 2019 National Assistant Coach of the Year has an unmatched passion for teaching the game and building relationships that reach far beyond the clubhouse.

On top of his National Assistant Coach of the Year honor from D1Baseball in 2019, the McAllen, Texas native led all Texas high schoolers in home runs as a prep junior, earned All-America honors each of his three seasons at Tulane before the San Diego Padres took him with the 14th overall pick in the first round of the 2001 Major League Baseball Draft. As a professional, he rated as a top-10 prospect in the San Diego Padre’s organization, before transitioning into coaching in 2009 and earning Perfect Game’s ‘Assistant Ready to Lead’ distinction in 2013.

In just his short time in Starkville, Gautreau has left his mark on both the recruiting and coaching side of things, signing a pair of nationally ranked classes during the first two recruiting cycles and helping the Bulldog offense rank among the national leaders annually.

In 2019, Gautreau saw his offensive unit rank among the top-five nationally in four different offensive categories. The Diamond Dawgs led the nation in doubles with a school-record 166 to mark the first time in program history MSU led the NCAA in an offensive or pitching category. State also ranked No. 2 in hits (755), No. 4 in runs scored (530) and No. 5 with an SEC-leading team batting average (.315).

On the awards front, he has recruited or tutored five All-Americans and six Freshman All-Americans. In his two seasons at State, Gautreau has had seen Tanner Allen, Justin Foscue and Jake Mangum all earn All-America honors, while Allen and Rowdey Jordan have touted Freshman All-America honors.

Gautreau has also seen four of his pupils earn first-team All-Southeastern Conference, including Mangum during each of his last two seasons on campus. Allen, Foscue and Mangum all grabbed top all-conference honors in 2019, with Mangum leading the SEC and the NCAA in hits (108). Allen (7) and Foscue (14) each elevated their home runs totals, posted 90-plus hits and drove in 60-plus runs each during their sophomore seasons.

In seven years as a collegiate coach, Gautreau has seen 22 of his pupils taken in the Major League Baseball Draft and a total of 25 have inked professional contracts. In 2010, he mentored Rob Segedin and helped turn him into a third-round pick of the New York Yankees, and he would eventually reach the big leagues with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

After seeing seven Bulldogs drafted in his first year on staff, a school-record-tying 11 Mississippi State student-athletes heard their names called in the MLB Draft, a total that ranked No. 3 nationally. Mangum was taken in the fourth round by the New York Mets, while catcher Dustin Skelton was picked in the 18th round by the Miami Marlins. Allen was drafted for the second time in his career when the Colorado Rockies picked him in the 34th round.

The recruiting trail has also been a place where Gautreau has found success, with each of his last three recruiting classes earning national accolades. His final recruiting class at Tulane was tabbed the No. 4 class in the country by Perfect Game for the 2013 cycle, while he has garnered a pair of top-25 classes in his first two cycles at State.

Gautreau helped secure a top-25 class according each of the four major recruiting services for the 2018 cycle, while his 2019 recruiting class was ranked as high as No. 5 by D1Baseball and was a consensus top-15 class. The only staff member retained by head coach Chris Lemonis upon his arrival in Starkville in 2018, Gautreau helped the Bulldogs keep first-round draft pick JT Ginn away from the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Conference USA Hall of Famer began his coaching career at his alma mater, Tulane, and he spent five years as an assistant coach, before serving as interim head coach during the second half of the 2014 season – his final year at TU. Following his stint with the Green Wave, Gautreau spent three years as Certified Player Agent for the Boras Corporation. During his time with the Borras Corporation, he identified and evaluated talent and recruited premier amateur baseball players from across the country, along with helping them prepare for the MLB Draft.

Mississippi State
Gautreau has been a part of back-to-back College World Series appearances during his time at Mississippi State, marking just the second time in program history the Diamond Dawgs advanced to Omaha in consecutive seasons.

In his two season’s overseeing the State offense, Gautreau has tutored the SEC’s hits leader in each season, as Jake Mangum posted the first back-to-back 100-hit seasons in MSU history and just the fourth occurrence in SEC history. In the process, Mangum also ended his career as the SEC’s all-time hits leader and finished No. 4 on the NCAA’s career list with 383 hits over his four seasons. He piled up 209 of those hits over his last two seasons, including a school single-season record of 108 in 2019.

A left-handed hitter himself, he helped the left-handed freshman tandem of infielder Tanner Allen and outfielder Rowdey Jordan earn Freshman All-America honors at the conclusion of 2018. Allen, who also earned a spot on the SEC All-Freshman Team, started all 68 contests during his rookie season and hit .287 with 28 extra base hits and ranked No. 2 on the team with 45 RBIs. Jordan hit .321 during his freshman campaign, starting 51 contests and ranking No. 2 on the team with seven home runs.

The 2019 squad piled up a nation’s-leading 166 doubles – the first MSU team to lead the country in an offensive category in program history – and also ranked among the top five in hits (2nd; 755), runs scored (4th; 530) and batting average (5th; .315). The doubles total also ranks No. 4 all-time in SEC history.

In 2018, Gautreau’s impact was immediately apparent as a recruiter and in his approach to coaching. After a slow start at the plate, State raised its batting average nearly 20 points over the final two months of the season, leading the way in a dramatic run to the program’s 10th trip to Omaha.

From February to April, MSU hit just .271 and scored 5.1 runs per game. Beginning in May, the offense saw a jump in production, hitting .289 during that stretch and scoring 7.7 runs per contest. The uptick in offensive production also saw the offense produce RBIs on a much higher level, jumping from 4.6 to 6.9 runs batted in per game, while cutting down the strikeout number by 1.5 per game.

As a recruiter, Gautreau’s impact was immediately felt in Starkville, as the Bulldogs landed a top-5 class for the 2018 recruiting cycle and owned a top-10 class in 2019-20. Gautreau pulled together a consensus top-15 recruiting class in the midst of a coaching change during the 2018 cycle, earning a No. 5 ranking from D1Baseball, the No. 9 post from Collegiate Baseball Newspaper and the No. 12 spot from Baseball America and Perfect Game.

Tulane
In five seasons at his alma mater, Gautreau helped Tulane rebuild the foundation that he helped establish as a student-athlete on the Uptown campus. He led the recruiting efforts that landed the No. 4 national class during this final recruiting cycle with the program and also served as the interim head coach in 2014.

His recruiting prowess was on display as Perfect Game tabbed the 2013 signing class the No. 4 class, and for good reason, as it included three Baseball America Top-500 prospects in shortstop Stephen Alemais, catcher Jake Rogers and right-handed pitcher J.P. France. France spent his graduate transfer season at Mississippi State in 2018 and was a 14th round pick by the Houston Astros in the 2018 MLB Draft. Alemais and Rogers were both selected in the third-round of the 2016 Draft, and Rogers made his MLB debut in July 2019.

From 2010-14, he tutored some of the finest hitters to come through Tulane. In 2010, Rob Segedin boasted a .434 batting average to rank second all-time on the program’s single-season charts, becoming just the fifth player in school history to top the .400 mark for a season. Along with Segedin (2010), three others joined him as being picked in the MLB Draft: Garrett Cannizaro (2013), Brennan Middleton (2013) and Jeremy Schaffer (2012).

On-Field Success
His seven-year career in professional baseball saw him spend time with the San Diego Padres, Cleveland Indians and New York Mets organizations. Gautreau reached as high as Triple-A during his professional career after being drafted with the No. 14 overall pick of the 2001 Major League Baseball Draft. During his time in professional baseball, Gautreau moved from third base to second base and was named the No. 3 second base prospect in baseball by Baseball America.

During his collegiate career, Gautreau helped Tulane to 142 victories in three seasons and the program’s first College World Series berth in 2001. His junior season featured a .355 batting average, 44 extra base hits and a NCAA-leading 96 RBIs. He was a Golden Spikes Award finalist and a first-team All-America selection as a junior. A two-time Conference USA Player of the Year, Gautreau was named the Conference USA Player of the Decade (1990-2000) in 2005 and was elected to the Conference USA Hall of Fame as a part of the initial induction class in 2019.

In all, Gautreau earned seven All-America honors during his time at Tulane, garnering second-team All-America as a sophomore and third-team laurels as a freshman. He was also a first-team Freshman All-American during the 1999 season. Gautreau finished his collegiate career with a .344 average with 58 home runs, 103 walks, 200 runs scored, 233 RBI's and 275 hits in three collegiate seasons.

He was also a member of the 2000 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team. Gautreau hit .348 (32-for-92) with seven doubles and four home runs to go with 20 RBI and a .576 slugging percentage. His time with Team USA also included the 2000 XXI Haarlem Baseball Week title, where he earned MVP honors in helping the Red, White, and Blue to a 6-0 record. That summer the Collegiate National Team posted a 27-3-1 record.

Personal
Gautreau and his wife, the former Erin Dobyanski, have two sons, William (6) and Weston (4). Erin was a four-year letterwinner for Tulane’s women’s volleyball program. The McAllen, Texas, native earned his Bachelor of Arts in media arts from Tulane in 2011.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In his time here as a coach we never made it to the post season. Several parents of players he recruited posted about how the players liked him on the recruiting trail but not as a coach. MSU recruits itself.
MicMan
Swell

Thanks for that long-winded self-promoting post, Jake!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 am Thanks for that long-winded self-promoting post, Jake!
Please move the above bio-resume' to the Former Players section
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Well, regardless who it is, and Lord knows Jones put out some excellent future head coaches, his coaching tree is pretty stout, I just don’t think the guy now makes very good in game decisions . I have thought that since his first year when he made what appeared several pitching decisions that turned a tie game out at UNO into a rout. When Pierce came in, we were in some trouble with Rick having gotten sick and he quickly turned things around. I think that could happen again if TD pulls the trigger.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I was not a fan of the TJ hire, and still question how he was chosen, over those who expressed interest in the job. I thought several were more qualified and had some ties to Tulane, which in TD's view was a negative
Wave QB
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 pm I was not a fan of the TJ hire, and still question how he was chosen, over those who expressed interest in the job. I thought several were more qualified and had some ties to Tulane, which in TD's view was a negative
I keep telling you guys the same ole thing over and over!

WE ARE NOT SERIOUS ABOUT BIG TIME ATHLETICS!

Anyway, I hope we can find a way to beat UNO and win the Mississippi State series.

I wish TJ well and hope these guys make the Regionals.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NEVER GIVE IN!!!
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 pm NEVER GIVE IN!!!

SUNO is expected to be getting a baseball program soon. We need to schedule a series with them as soon as it’s official!

Just pulling your leg. 😂
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NEVER GIVE IN !