NSD-2-3-21

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Other G5 teams do it by beating someone. ULL did beat Iowa State. If they had scheduled Alcorn State instead they never get ranked. You have to schedule at least one good game to give yourselves a chance to get ranked. Again no one is saying you have to schedule 4 P5's for the OOC. Upcoming schedules do a better job of that but 2022 is what we don't want.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
exflash
High Tide

Well since there are some talking about Cajun football, here are some facts.......this year the Cajuns finished 15-18 in major polls....The Massey ranking which combine about 30 polls had them at 15.......2 Belt teams in the top 20 and 3 in the top 30 with the AAC only one......but the most important stat is this AAC is the #1 G5 conference but the Belt is just 3 mean points behind....to give you an idea the Belt is 25 points ahead of CUSA......UL’s rise is based upon a great pres, AD, head coach, along with money put into academic and athletics facilities.......pretty good recruiting year especially with the portal help.....btw not all the high ranking RBs will be at those positions and some are destined to play other positions! I enjoy coming to this Tulane board but need to just mention some false facts!
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:12 pm Other G5 teams do it by beating someone. ULL did beat Iowa State. If they had scheduled Alcorn State instead they never get ranked. You have to schedule at least one good game to give yourselves a chance to get ranked.
That’s not true. Yes, they would have been ranked no matter what FCS would have been on the schedule. Especially during this joke of a COVID-19 season.

You and all of our fans see it all of the time! Remember in 2015 when Houston, they opened up vs poor little ole Tennessee Tech and trashed a training wheels wearing Texas State program before coming to New Orleans to destroy us the #24 team in the country.

Didn’t you see Army ranked in the top 25 at one point with 3 FCS programs in their schedule this past season? (Although I think we agree that this was complete joke.)

I will say it again, the 13-0 UCF National Championship Claimed Team had wins over FCS-Austin Peay, FIU and a 3 win Navy team.

We have seen plenty of G5 programs take a spot in the top 25 with FCS and lower tier G5 programs on their schedule. It’s nothing new. If we start the 2022 season 4-0 and find a way to win our first 3 conference games, we will definitely get some publicity and top 25 talk. It is definitely possible. I am hoping that we are good enough to beat top AAC teams.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:12 pm Other G5 teams do it by beating someone. ULL did beat Iowa State. If they had scheduled Alcorn State instead they never get ranked. You have to schedule at least one good game to give yourselves a chance to get ranked.
That’s not true. Yes, they would have been ranked no matter what FCS would have been on the schedule. Especially during this joke of a COVID-19 season.

You and all of our fans see it all of the time! Remember in 2015 when Houston, they opened up vs poor little ole Tennessee Tech and trashed a training wheels wearing Texas State program before coming to New Orleans to destroy us the #24 team in the country.

Didn’t you see Army ranked in the top 25 at one point with 3 FCS programs in their schedule this past season? (Although I think we agree that this was complete joke.)

I will say it again, the 13-0 UCF National Championship Claimed Team had wins over FCS-Austin Peay, FIU and a 3 win Navy team.

We have seen plenty of G5 programs take a spot in the top 25 with FCS and lower tier G5 programs on their schedule. It’s nothing new. If we start the 2022 season 4-0 and find a way to win our first 3 conference games, we will definitely get some publicity and top 25 talk. It is definitely possible. I am hoping that we are good enough to beat top AAC teams.
That's not true. Your fascination with weak schedules is delusional. They beat Iowa State early and got attention. Army proved to be the joke I said they were. Winning against weak teams and hoping we also get the weak AAC teams at the head of the schedule to maybe get ranked and then lose once we start playing real teams won't fool anybody but you. It's not about getting a spot briefly by beating nobodies and then falling out once you start playing somebodies.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

Man, the Top 25 COVID-19 BS Poll would have had UL-Lafayette ranked in it if they would have had wins over Southern and Northwestern State on it! Y’all can’t count this BS we just witnessed! I give Lafayette College of Louisiana their props for taking advantage of this “Powerless 5” season. They handled business against ISU, and made some early noise while many P5 weren’t playing yet. Unfortunately, we once again missed out on a great opportunity to easily be ranked.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

To join the Qb vs Winwave debate, I agree with both sides just like AJ and GreenLantern. On one side, we will NEVER EVER EVER grow as a fan base or program by beating up on Southland & SWAC check collectors and weak ass Sun Belt & C-USA teams. We have to want better for our program. On the other hand, we have to get the spirit of losing out of our programs’ history immediately! I guess I am in the 50/50 bunch! If we didn’t have Kansas State on the 2022 schedule that Wave QB is raving about, I would have definitely been bashing the shit out of it only because Fritz has been around long enough to have built a team that can compete higher than Umass and Alcorn State. We need to go 4-0 with that non conference schedule and win at least 9 games in 2022! Period.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

exflash wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm Well since there are some talking about Cajun football, here are some facts.......this year the Cajuns finished 15-18 in major polls....The Massey ranking which combine about 30 polls had them at 15.......2 Belt teams in the top 20 and 3 in the top 30 with the AAC only one......but the most important stat is this AAC is the #1 G5 conference but the Belt is just 3 mean points behind....to give you an idea the Belt is 25 points ahead of CUSA......UL’s rise is based upon a great pres, AD, head coach, along with money put into academic and athletics facilities.......pretty good recruiting year especially with the portal help.....btw not all the high ranking RBs will be at those positions and some are destined to play other positions! I enjoy coming to this Tulane board but need to just mention some false facts!
Props to the UL-Cajun for taking advantage of a golden COVID-19 Season opportunity. You do know y’all wouldn’t have finished that high if this would have been a regular season with everyone having 12 games. The Coastal Carolina loss along with those 5 of 7 Sun Belt nail bitter wins wouldn’t have carried much weight into the top 23. I am about 87% confident that a healthy Green Wave team would have beaten y’all in a Bowl Game. While I am at it, the Iowa State win was impressive, but it also explained to us why so many Big 12 teams had 3 or more losses in a short season. The conference as a whole wasn’t impressive.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:55 am
exflash wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm Well since there are some talking about Cajun football, here are some facts.......this year the Cajuns finished 15-18 in major polls....The Massey ranking which combine about 30 polls had them at 15.......2 Belt teams in the top 20 and 3 in the top 30 with the AAC only one......but the most important stat is this AAC is the #1 G5 conference but the Belt is just 3 mean points behind....to give you an idea the Belt is 25 points ahead of CUSA......UL’s rise is based upon a great pres, AD, head coach, along with money put into academic and athletics facilities.......pretty good recruiting year especially with the portal help.....btw not all the high ranking RBs will be at those positions and some are destined to play other positions! I enjoy coming to this Tulane board but need to just mention some false facts!
Props to the UL-Cajun for taking advantage of a golden COVID-19 Season opportunity. You do know y’all wouldn’t have finished that high if this would have been a regular season with everyone having 12 games. The Coastal Carolina loss along with those 5 of 7 Sun Belt nail bitter wins wouldn’t have carried much weight into the top 23. I am about 87% confident that a healthy Green Wave team would have beaten y’all in a Bowl Game. While I am at it, the Iowa State win was impressive, but it also explained to us why so many Big 12 teams had 3 or more losses in a short season. The conference as a whole wasn’t impressive.
We wouldn’t have beaten ULL this past season.
gbgreenie
Surge

Wave QB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:48 am
I agree, and I urge all greenie fans to check out ULL recruiting class and transfers, they I believe beat us in many ways, especially among La. recruits and La. transfers from major programs, If this continues we will not be second best in La. And Napier made a choice he isn't leaving anytime soon!!!
gbgreenie
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:15 am

I agree, and I urge all greenie fans to check out ULL recruiting class and transfers, they I believe beat us in many ways, especially among La. recruits and La. transfers from major programs, If this continues we will not be second best in La. And Napier made a choice he isn't leaving anytime soon!!!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-BB1cNCAw
gbgreenie
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:18 am

https://247sports.com/Article/Why-Billy ... 158565851/
gbgreenie
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:22 am
gbgreenie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:18 am
https://247sports.com/Article/Why-Billy ... 158565851/
Napier is among that fraternity of insiders, and it’s why he’s been one of the hotter names on the coaching carousel over the last two offseason. Napier admits he copied and tweaked the Saban plan at Louisiana. It’s not “The Process” in Lafayette. He calls it “The Journey.”

His offices are not as full or busy as Alabama — the Wall Street of the SEC — but Louisiana likely has the largest staff in the Sun Belt Conference. He revamped the entire recruiting staff when hired in December 2017, secured more money for analysts and nutritionists, and implemented new strength-and-conditioning calendars similar to those posted in Tuscaloosa.

Louisiana is proud to call itself the mini-Alabama, but with a coach with a much different personality running the company.
gbgreenie
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:23 am
Napier is among that fraternity of insiders, and it’s why he’s been one of the hotter names on the coaching carousel over the last two offseason. Napier admits he copied and tweaked the Saban plan at Louisiana. It’s not “The Process” in Lafayette. He calls it “The Journey.”

His offices are not as full or busy as Alabama — the Wall Street of the SEC — but Louisiana likely has the largest staff in the Sun Belt Conference. He revamped the entire recruiting staff when hired in December 2017, secured more money for analysts and nutritionists, and implemented new strength-and-conditioning calendars similar to those posted in Tuscaloosa.

Louisiana is proud to call itself the mini-Alabama, but with a coach with a much different personality running the company.
Wave755
Tsunami

💤💤💤, and keep playing Texas State and he will do just fine.
Wave QB
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:40 am

When was the last time we beat a top 25 Big 12 program convincingly? ULL’s Administration is serious about winning football games and being a top 25 G5 program!

Are we serious? My answer has been “hell no” for quite some time now.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Right. And we need to get serious. Keep the pressure on. Don't ever give in to low bar syndrome.
Wave QB
Swell

At the end of the day, it’s a fact that we are not the football program we were since Buffet Bob’s first year here. Better decisions have been with coaches, and smarter scheduling has allowed us to not sit at home during the Bowl Season. Call these AAC Bowls and that 54k attended NOLA Bowl “nobody cares bowls” all you want, but the fact remains that they are better than what we have been been seeing for a long time.
(And this is coming from a person who hates the AAC Bowl Affiliations and wants to see better!)

I push our Athletics Program to not look back and fall back into the 2-10 and 3-9 Tulane teams we have seen in that span. I push our administrators not to allow us to fall back into a position where a new coach needs to be hired who needs to build a brand new car with no tools.

Contrast to whatever I type about schedules, I will always push for us to be a better AAC program in conference play. The day we find out that we are making more upgrades to our practice facilities will be the day that I know we are serious about being a Top 25 program.
Lutzow46
Ripple

Here's what I believe after following the Green Wave for 50+ years. We should not be comparing our school and its football team to the likes of ULL, UAB or even USF and UCF. These are public universities with lower academic standards. We need to look at our true peers, i.e. private universities that play in P5 conferences and that are about the same size as Tulane and have a good academic reputation. For example:

TCU
Baylor
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Duke

and for the G5, we could add:

Rice
Southern Methodist
Tulsa

These are schools in our region and they recruit in Louisiana. Can we out-recruit them? Do we have better facilities and a larger stadium? Could we play these schools and consistently win? Are we on par in football and in other sports? Do we have a strong alumni group and solid fan base? If not, we should be striving to reach that level.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

At the end of the day it's not about backsliding. it's about pushing them forward. Don't let them wear us down and give in. What we currently have is not acceptable and they need to hear that from us till they get it right.
Eaglewave
Swell

Lutzow46 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:12 pm Here's what I believe after following the Green Wave for 50+ years. We should not be comparing our school and its football team to the likes of ULL, UAB or even USF and UCF. These are public universities with lower academic standards. We need to look at our true peers, i.e. private universities that play in P5 conferences and that are about the same size as Tulane and have a good academic reputation. For example:

TCU
Baylor
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Duke

and for the G5, we could add:

Rice
Southern Methodist
Tulsa

These are schools in our region and they recruit in Louisiana. Can we out-recruit them? Do we have better facilities and a larger stadium? Could we play these schools and consistently win? Are we on par in football and in other sports? Do we have a strong alumni group and solid fan base? If not, we should be striving to reach that level.
Well, SMU and Tulsa are in our conference, so we will see them anyway. When it comes to local G5’s, I agree that Rice, (who has a winning record vs us and is 5-1 in our last six meetings), should be on the schedule every so often or in a series. Rice is playing LSU in 2022.

While not comparing, UL-Boudin and UL-PaperMill are two in state Sun Belt teams that should each scheduled at least every two years. The Cajuns always bring a good crowd to New Orleans, and Yulman needs big local crowds. The dome had 18K in attendance when the Monroe guys came to town in our last meeting, and their stadium saw 20k when we took a trip up to North Louisiana in 2013. Playing La Tech, (who loved having Tulane in their stadium in our last meeting), doesn’t hurt us at all.

Scheduling one of these Louisiana G5 programs every so often are always fun for local fans, and it keeps local recruits knowing who is the boss.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

Since we are now constantly ending the season with 6-7 wins, I really don’t want to see the FCS teams on our schedule every year. Maybe every 2 years just for fun “in-state” and a check of FBS support. Those games are like fake preseason games. 😂

So far, our future P5 list of opponents looks pretty good. I am also very satisfied with our upcoming schedules. I don’t really care for Umass in 2022 in week 1 right before Alcorn State in Week 2, but I do like the USM game in Yulman after coming back from Kansas State. Pratt is going to make the most of that schedule can can grab some good media attention.

2023 will see us taking on everyone in Mississippi! USA, Ole Miss, USM and Miss St. That should be a fun. .
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:50 am
Wave755 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:40 am

When was the last time we beat a top 25 Big 12 program convincingly? ULL’s Administration is serious about winning football games and being a top 25 G5 program!

Are we serious? My answer has been “hell no” for quite some time now.
The Iowa State game was a “Covid Season special teams” fluke for ULALA. For 2021, playing a full schedule,” the ULALA “bubble will burst” and the Cajuns will go back to being a Coon-Ass Pumpkin (or Mirliton😂). Just wait and see, ULALA is nothing more than a “Covid Season One Hit Wonder.” And, in the AAC ULALA would be an even bigger nothing.
Last edited by Wave755 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rat
Ripple

Boy ain’t that the truth! And I can’t wait to see were all those running backs are going to be moved to. Houston, Memphis, Cinncy, Tulsa and UCF would crush usl. Hell Army would run thru usls terrible defense.
When is the last time they beat a good team other then Iowa st.
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:18 pm Since we are now constantly ending the season with 6-7 wins, I really don’t want to see the FCS teams on our schedule every year. Maybe every 2 years just for fun “in-state” and a check of FBS support. Those games are like fake preseason games. 😂

So far, our future P5 list of opponents looks pretty good. I am also very satisfied with our upcoming schedules. I don’t really care for Umass in 2022 in week 1 right before Alcorn State in Week 2, but I do like the USM game in Yulman after coming back from Kansas State. Pratt is going to make the most of that schedule can can grab some good media attention.

2023 will see us taking on everyone in Mississippi! USA, Ole Miss, USM and Miss St. That should be a fun. .

We will be going into a big game with Kansas State 2-0. It would be great if we can come out 3-0.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We better come out 3-0. If we can't beat KSU in year 7 just end it.