NSD-2-3-21

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We welcome respectful Cajun fans as guests, especially those with Tulane ties. Also thank you waveclem for a reasonable non shouting offensive post. Our average recruit ranking is up from last year and ahead of ULL. We’ll be fine. Imagine once we start winning 7+ games a year or once Pratt has a full year under his built with some big numbers. I truly believe the biggest thing holding us back has been a lack of a qb. That’s done now.

I would bet big money Napier is gone by next year and we’ll see how the Cajuns do for a back up hire.

We’ll also see what happens once the aac expands 1-3 teams with the best of what’s left in the G5. That in combination with an expanded playoff (which has more support then ever and is imminent) leads me to believe the AAC will distance themselves further from the G4 and will get another bump in money and auto bid.

GreenLantern
Riptide

exflash wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:21 am I have been watching these state football ups and downs for many years and so much is just the timing when all comes together----as far as the Cajuns go it seems to be the perfect storm...next rating period we will move up to a tier one school----administration is solid behind a great AD----facilities are really great except for the football stadium which is about to get a complete over hall ----Tulane will get back on track but the key comes from the top------the need to recognize the value of athletics even to a forever great academic institution is vital----look at the baseball and even the new football stadium and what a help that has been----it is a good time for a Cajun fan but yes the ball will spin again hopefully the Wave can add great athletics to a great academic tradition---btw my mom was an alumna of Newcomb and I played at the old Tulane stadium in the pre game NORD program!!!
I'll bet your mom would have been excited to see Tulane royally humiliate ULaLa in their last meeting at the 2018 Cure Bowl.
Wave755
Tsunami

exflash wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:21 am ----as far as the Cajuns go it seems to be the perfect storm...next rating period we will move up to a tier one school----
🤔IDK, although this is an athletic forum, but you mentioned it, for 2021 USN&WR has ULALA ranked 298-389? And, with an endowment of a paltry 132 million? Pretty big heave to Tier One for next year? :thumbup: :wave: :roll: :D https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... +Lafayette
MicMan
Swell

"Hopefully"
anEngineer
Riptide

No matter what kind of athletic program or facilities or endowment or anything else LAL has, it's not what the AAC is ever looking for. The AAC is only going to add Metro areas or huge fan bases. It's about TV market. That's just the way it is.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

exflash wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:21 am I have been watching these state football ups and downs for many years and so much is just the timing when all comes together----as far as the Cajuns go it seems to be the perfect storm...next rating period we will move up to a tier one school----administration is solid behind a great AD----facilities are really great except for the football stadium which is about to get a complete over hall ----Tulane will get back on track but the key comes from the top------the need to recognize the value of athletics even to a forever great academic institution is vital----look at the baseball and even the new football stadium and what a help that has been----it is a good time for a Cajun fan but yes the ball will spin again hopefully the Wave can add great athletics to a great academic tradition---btw my mom was an alumna of Newcomb and I played at the old Tulane stadium in the pre game NORD program!!!
Great points. The tone from the top is everything.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:34 am
Wave755 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:35 am
This year’s “COVID top 25” was a joke, in particular 11 to 25. I’m no LSWho fan, but do you really think ULALA would have beaten ‘dem Tiggers this year? But then of course, ULALA did win its bowl game 31 to 24 against ‘Mighty UTSA! :lol:
And not to mention that we’re ranked ahead of the Nevada team that schooled us in Boise. These rankings are a joke.
"En Banc," "full bench," we would have handled Nevada without any problem. Now realistically, does anyone think ULALA could have beaten North Carolina or even LSWho this year? And, ULALA got really lucky when their game against the CC Chanticleers for the 'Mighty Belt Championshipwas cancelled due to COVID. :yes:
Even with a full roster, there is no guarantee we would have beaten Nevada. The game would have been closer, but they were more physical, better coached, and had a superior QB. Nevada was a good team, and clearly better prepared for the game--the on-going Tulane problem.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Well we will never know. Simply cause for speculation. But I am interested in how we fare next year
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:14 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:34 am

And not to mention that we’re ranked ahead of the Nevada team that schooled us in Boise. These rankings are a joke.
"En Banc," "full bench," we would have handled Nevada without any problem. Now realistically, does anyone think ULALA could have beaten North Carolina or even LSWho this year? And, ULALA got really lucky when their game against the CC Chanticleers for the 'Mighty Belt Championshipwas cancelled due to COVID. :yes:
Even with a full roster, there is no guarantee we would have beaten Nevada. The game would have been closer, but they were more physical, better coached, and had a superior QB. Nevada was a good team, and clearly better prepared for the game--the on-going Tulane problem.
Pratt with a real OL in front of him would have made all the difference for that game. And, having Johnson, Williams and Sample would have been nice too. And, like so many other bowl teams for this Covid year, the Wave really didn’t even want to be there, for a chilly empty stadium in “beautiful downtown Boise, Idaho.”

Water under the bridge, the future looks bright. And now, bring on Boomer Sooner! :o :shock: :? :x :cry:
gbgreenie
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:36 am We welcome respectful Cajun fans as guests, especially those with Tulane ties. Also thank you waveclem for a reasonable non shouting offensive post. Our average recruit ranking is up from last year and ahead of ULL. We’ll be fine. Imagine once we start winning 7+ games a year or once Pratt has a full year under his built with some big numbers. I truly believe the biggest thing holding us back has been a lack of a qb. That’s done now.

I would bet big money Napier is gone by next year and we’ll see how the Cajuns do for a back up hire.

We’ll also see what happens once the aac expands 1-3 teams with the best of what’s left in the G5. That in combination with an expanded playoff (which has more support then ever and is imminent) leads me to believe the AAC will distance themselves further from the G4 and will get another bump in money and auto bid.
Why did Napier turn down Auburn, he is happy at ULL. Don't short change Kai Horton he will give Pratt a run for his money, I assure you of that. More mobile and accurate. Not as stiff a runner as Pratt. More to come. Scouted both before Tulane signed each of them they are very close but I will give Horton the edge. He has not lost a game in 3 years with 80 TD passes vs only 8 interceptions. Phenomenal Record!!!
Wave755
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:31 pm
Why did Napier turn down Auburn, he is happy at ULL. Don't short change Kai Horton he will give Pratt a run for his money, I assure you of that. More mobile and accurate. Not as stiff a runner as Pratt. More to come. Scouted both before Tulane signed each of them they are very close but I will give Horton the edge. He has not lost a game in 3 years with 80 TD passes vs only 8 interceptions. Phenomenal Record!!!
:D And, I still remember when Nelson Stokley removed his name from consideration for the Oklahoma State job to stay @ USL.
A big mistake. And, who gives a rat's rear end about ULALA anyway? ULALA is not our rival, but we should play them from time to time, just as we should play from time to time SLU, La. Tech, Nicholls State, UL-M, & McNeese State. And contrarty to what Flasher argues about once a month on this forum, ULALA will never be an academic peer university of Tulane. No school in Louisiana is or ever has been an academic peer of Tulane, much less ULALA, a "step child" to LSU down the road to its East.

If Napier wants to "get siked" each year for a "big rivalry" with the CC Chanticleers, so be it. But, I think Napier will leave ULALA next season if a good year, even though there is risk for him since he will lose to Texas and possibly as well Ohio, Liberty, CC Chanticleers and Appy St. And if so, he could well be in the long run the "second coming of Nelson Stokely." And get ready, post-Covid college football will return back to a whole lot how things looked for pre-Covid college football.

Now, enough about ULALA?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:37 am
:D And, I still remember when Nelson Stokley removed his name from consideration for the Oklahoma State job to stay @ USL.
A big mistake. And, who gives a rat's rear end about ULALA anyway? ULALA is not our rival, but we should play them from time to time, just as we should play from time to time SLU, La. Tech, Nicholls State, UL-M, & McNeese State. And contrarty to what Flasher argues about once a month on this forum, ULALA will never be an academic peer university of Tulane. No school in Louisiana is or ever has been an academic peer of Tulane, much less ULALA, a "step child" to LSU down the road to its East.

If Napier wants to "get siked" each year for a "big rivalry" with the CC Chanticleers, so be it. But, I think Napier will leave ULALA next season if a good year, even though there is risk for him since he will lose to Texas and possibly as well Ohio, Liberty, CC Chanticleers and Appy St. And if so, he could well be in the long run the "second coming of Nelson Stokely." And get ready, post-Covid college football will return back to a whole lot how things looked for pre-Covid college football.

Now, enough about ULALA?
I am told by those within the college sports industry, when a Coach has removed his name, the hiring party has informed them they are no longer under consideration, thus giving the Coach the opportunity to go public and remove his name from consideration, and "save face" prior to the new coach being hired usually a week later...I also think Stokley thought he was the next lsu savior du jour
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 am
Wave755 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:37 am

Now, enough about ULALA?
I am told by those within the college sports industry, when a Coach has removed his name, the hiring party has informed them they are no longer under consideration, thus giving the Coach the opportunity to go public and remove his name from consideration, and "save face" prior to the new coach being hired usually a week later...I also think Stokley thought he was the next lsu savior du jour
True, but the more logical step for Stokely would have been from OSU to LSWho, not from USL to LSWho?
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:36 am Rivals has him as 5.7 three star(the range is 5.5-5.7). 247 gives out stars like candy. That's been proven over time. Rivals is the gold standard in these ratings to be clear.
For the past few years, many people have been giving 247 more credit for their assessments of 3 star recruits over Rivals. 247’s problem is the way they ship out 4 stars to kids with a bunch of offers even if most come from non P5 programs.

But you are correct, Rivals is still the gold standard.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Any idea if F baseball OF Brandon Howell is going to walk on for football? He's a hell of an athlete from what I've been told by friends in Southlake where he was all-district for the mighty Carroll (HS) Dragons.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:17 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:36 am Rivals has him as 5.7 three star(the range is 5.5-5.7). 247 gives out stars like candy. That's been proven over time. Rivals is the gold standard in these ratings to be clear.
For the past few years, many people have been giving 247 more credit for their assessments of 3 star recruits over Rivals. 247’s problem is the way they ship out 4 stars to kids with a bunch of offers even if most come from non P5 programs.

I don't see anywhere that people are giving 247 credit for their 3 star rankings. Like I said they give them out like candy.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

Wow. I am late for the party on this one.

I see Wave755 still hates ULL’s guts 😂, and Winwave is still in denial about a Tulane degree being easy to grab even in this era for an athlete compared to many other schools 😯.

Any-who, we should be more concerned about bringing in recruits who can help us win compete in the AAC instead of worrying about ULL. I agree that they are doing well under Napier and took full advantage of the COVID Season, but they are still Sun Belt ULL and aren’t on our schedule every year. I am would love to play them every year. Why? Because they bring a good crowd, and often give us another W for the season. No matter what, we need to always stay in front of them in recruiting.
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:17 pm

I agree that Rivals is the standard.

I haven’t heard that much about it, but I have heard some folks in the college football game claim that 247 Sports is doing well with their 3 Star calls. Most of them are G5 fans. I guess it’s something to be excited about when Rivals issues the same kid a 2 Star rating.

I didn’t start paying much attention to 247 Sports Ratings until 2011 I think. Although I people seem to put too much emphasis on recruiting stars, we have seen a good number of the 247 and Rivals 3 stars that have came to Tulane were solid play makers in high school and showed something on field.
gbgreenie
Surge

Current review of College Football Ratings Systems, 247 Sports has drawn talent from Rivals. Different opinions but Rivals no longer Gold Standard!!!
I think that 247, currently, has the best guys for analyzing talent. Scout has really gone downhill. It is so bad that I almost trust ESPN's Recruiting more. Rivals used to be the best but 247 has poached a lot of their best guys[/b]. I feel the writing on Rivals is still better but 247 really is on the rise.

Rivals does not rank players nationally past its Rivals 250 and typically only includes 3-star prospects and up in state rankings with the exception of some smaller states. So, with 247Sports going much deeper in individual national rankings and state rankings, there are cases in which 247Sports ranked a player in his state that Rivals did not rank.
gbgreenie
Surge

A Fake Recruit Getting Ranked on Rivals Leads 247Sports to Change Its Composite Policy
College football recruiting website 247Sports announced a significant change to its recruit ratings policy after a fake high school player was ranked on Rivals, SBNation's Morgan Moriarty reported on Thursday.

According to Moriarty, a recruit by the name of Blake Carringer received a three-star rating from Rivals and wound up automatically appearing on 247Sports's Composite rankings page, even though 247Sports did not provide their own rating. The site's Composite is a collective rating that receives rankings from Rivals.com and ESPN.

Carringer was listed as a 6'6", 315-pound offensive lineman from Knoxville, Tenn. A Twitter account for the fake recruit was created to boast offers from Alabama, Georgia and others.

After the incident, 247Sports's founder and CEO Shannon Terry announced a change in their policy on Twitter. Terry also called out Rivals for the mistake.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:50 pm Wow. I am late for the party on this one.

I see Wave755 still hates ULL’s guts 😂, and Winwave is still in denial about a Tulane degree being easy to grab even in this era for an athlete compared to many other schools 😯.

Any-who, we should be more concerned about bringing in recruits who can help us win compete in the AAC instead of worrying about ULL. I agree that they are doing well under Napier and took full advantage of the COVID Season, but they are still Sun Belt ULL and aren’t on our schedule every year. I am would love to play them every year. Why? Because they bring a good crowd, and often give us another W for the season. No matter what, we need to always stay in front of them in recruiting.
I see waveqb is back and nothing has changed. Still wants to fill the schedule with weaklings so we can maybe scrounge 6 wins together to go to a nobodycares.com bowl. :roll:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:50 pm
I see Wave755 still hates ULL’s guts 😂,....
:thumbup: :clap: :lol:

And, I too would like to beat the Hell out of ULALA perhaps playing on a tri-annual basis just to burst their little "Sunbelt Bubble" from time to time and remind ULALA again who the boss is for G5s in Louisiana! :yes: :D
exflash
High Tide

Although I consider AAC to be the top G5 conference....there is a significant move upwards these last years by the Sunbelt.....they have passed all but the AAC in rankings and are now just four mean points away from the top position.....back even to the Metro when USL almost became a member, they have competed with AAC schools in all sports and even basketball some years......now more than ever Louisiana would be a good add to the AAC .....btw baseball and softball would be great adds!
MicMan
Swell

So, what was the bottom line on TU's signing day, and the top signees?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Ulalalalal will never be invited to the aac for many reasons, but in particularly because they don’t bring a bee major market. Buffalo, Charlotte, Colorado State would all jump at the chance and are more appealing. . . Even UAB is more appealing by our criteria. Soon enough ulalala will be another USM