Oklahoma press release

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

Anybody else suspect that if COVID allows fans both schools already know this game will be moved to dome but OK doing us a solid right now by acting like game is at Yulman. Or they could be getting their fan base to buy limited supply tickets now rather than waiting if they knew game was in dome. I would still bet that if fans are allowed game will be moved using ticket demand as the reason.

NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:58 am Anybody else suspect that if COVID allows fans both schools already know this game will be moved to dome but OK doing us a solid right now by acting like game is at Yulman. Or they could be getting their fan base to buy limited supply tickets now rather than waiting if they knew game was in dome. I would still bet that if fans are allowed game will be moved using ticket demand as the reason.
I think it's the opposite actually. Without COVID, I think they would have pushed for the Dome or us come there or back out. With COVID and limited attendance, why not Yulman?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:29 am
Jaxwave wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:58 am Anybody else suspect that if COVID allows fans both schools already know this game will be moved to dome but OK doing us a solid right now by acting like game is at Yulman. Or they could be getting their fan base to buy limited supply tickets now rather than waiting if they knew game was in dome. I would still bet that if fans are allowed game will be moved using ticket demand as the reason.
I think it's the opposite actually. Without COVID, I think they would have pushed for the Dome or us come there or back out. With COVID and limited attendance, why not Yulman?
You are both probably correct. With COVID hanging around, OU probably figures why not Yulman. On the other hand, if we aren't fighting a surge from the 12th variant of COVID, the game may definitely end up in the Dome. Much of that will depend on Dannen and his OU counterpart. If we really have COVID hemmed in by September, Tulane and OU could make this a huge, and celebratory, game. Get some nation wide TV coverage with a nearly sold out Dome would be great for Tulane, no matter what happens with the Big 12. But is does all depend on the Rona.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
MicMan
Swell

Is this game testing TU's sex appeal for the Big 12?
Wave QB
Swell

MicMan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:02 pm Is this game testing TU's sex appeal for the Big 12?
Nope. A top 25 showing in 2020 with wins over Navy, SMU, Tulsa and Nevada sure would have given this question more hope. This game is a good ole recruiting trip for Oklahoma.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Agree that Dome would be fantastic if Covid threat has diminished enough to allow us to fill the stadium. Would bring out old and new Tulane fans as well as lots of curious locals wanting to scout Oklahoma for one of their favorite local teams ( LSWho). But anyone who even dreams about Tulane ever joining the Big Twelve or any P-5 is delusional. We lack the facilities, the fan base, the athletic reputation... maybe if TB wins SB, Mr. Glazer will make me a liar by giving enough money to make it a reality, like Boone Pickens did for his favorite team
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It sure would be nice to see Yulman sold out for the second time in it's history. I don't know what would make this game attractive to anyone that doesn't root for either school.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Eaglewave
Swell

MicMan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:02 pm Is this game testing TU's sex appeal for the Big 12?

I just don’t see it. We haven’t been tough in the AAC, and only won the C-USA title once. We are at least five 10+ consecutive winning seasons away from impressing the Big 12.

After all of the hype about building our own 60 million dollar stadium again, we should be happy that Oklahoma is willing to play in Yulman. We haven’t sold tickets well, and aren’t use to selling out. Even the Pan American side of the stadium needs help! We need Oklahoma in Yulman. Hopefully we promote the hell out of this thing and get enough fans in the building.

COVID-19 has most likely shut down the thought of being in the dome anyway.
Ball Sumrall!
anEngineer
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:20 pm

I just don’t see it. We haven’t been tough in the AAC, and only won the C-USA title once. We are at least five 10+ consecutive winning seasons away from impressing the Big 12.

After all of the hype about building our own 60 million dollar stadium again, we should be happy that Oklahoma is willing to play in Yulman. We haven’t sold tickets well, and aren’t use to selling out. Even the Pan American side of the stadium needs help! We need Oklahoma in Yulman. Hopefully we promote the hell out of this thing and get enough fans in the building.

COVID-19 has most likely shut down the thought of being in the dome anyway.
It's not really about winning. Who really thinks that Texas or Oklahoma are interested in bringing in anyone who can regularly challenge for the Big 12 title? It's about TV eyeballs and that's all it's about. Granted, you have to win a few big ones before people are interested in watching you play, but the BIG 12 is only interested if they think they can get a decent share of a new market. The SEC owns the southeast and New Orleans, but if Tulane is in the Big 12, would that make enough new people watch a Big 12 game over a Big 10 or ACC game? I don't know the answer, but that is more the question.
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 am It sure would be nice to see Yulman sold out for the second time in it's history.
I'll be there. I'll be two-for-two in Yulman sellouts.
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 amI don't know what would make this game attractive to anyone that doesn't root for either school.
I think Oklahoma will draw a lot of interest. I'm afraid a lot of locals will come out to root for Oklahoma. They are a legit CFB blueblood.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I don't think we need to worry about locals coming out and pulling for OU. We do need to worry about them buying up tickets and then selling them to OU fans. If travel is somewhat back to normal I think what we need to worry about is 20,000 Oklahoma fans being in the stadium and 2,000 thousand of us die-hards.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

RE: Locals pulling for Tulane opponents

Burned into my memory was Dunleavy's first game at Tulane. It was November of his first season. We were playing UNC at the Smoothie King Center and there was a pretty good crowd. Lots of sky blue, but not the Tulane variety.

I was sitting next to a guy who was wearing a UNC sweatshirt and cap. I assumed he was an alum. I struck up a conversation and asked him about UNC, their arena...etc. His reply? Never been to Chapel Hill. He was from New Orleans. He didn't know anything about Tulane but really liked UNC because they were always in the Sweet 16. Unbelievable. I fear we may see a similar phenomena at the Okie Dokie game.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:08 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 am It sure would be nice to see Yulman sold out for the second time in it's history.
I'll be there. I'll be two-for-two in Yulman sellouts.
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 amI don't know what would make this game attractive to anyone that doesn't root for either school.
I think Oklahoma will draw a lot of interest. I'm afraid a lot of locals will come out to root for Oklahoma. They are a legit CFB blueblood.
Ditto
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was sitting at the game in the arena surrounded by about 20 people in carolina blue and all were from Carolina. They all talked about the good time they were having in NOLA and were hoping they'd put us on the schedule again in the future. So yeah if the pandemic is behind us I'm sure we'll be surrounded by a lot of people from Oklahoma.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:58 pm I was sitting at the game in the arena surrounded by about 20 people in carolina blue and all were from Carolina. They all talked about the good time they were having in NOLA and were hoping they'd put us on the schedule again in the future. So yeah if the pandemic is behind us I'm sure we'll be surrounded by a lot of people from Oklahoma.
I still do biz in OKC-Norman...they will purchase every ticket they can get their hands on.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:48 am
winwave wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:58 pm I was sitting at the game in the arena surrounded by about 20 people in carolina blue and all were from Carolina. They all talked about the good time they were having in NOLA and were hoping they'd put us on the schedule again in the future. So yeah if the pandemic is behind us I'm sure we'll be surrounded by a lot of people from Oklahoma.
I still do biz in OKC-Norman...they will purchase every ticket they can get their hands on.....
Yep. That’s great support. Memphis does that in basketball. They usually outdraw us at Devlin.
Need to beat the OU’s when you play them at home to build up the Tulane fan base. When we were beating LSU a bunch in baseball it went a long way to give our fans a chance to brag and look forward to playing them. The only answer to the lack of fans is winning and beating quality opponents.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:15 am
Yep. That’s great support. Memphis does that in basketball. They usually outdraw us at Devlin.
Need to beat the OU’s when you play them at home to build up the Tulane fan base. When we were beating LSU a bunch in baseball it went a long way to give our fans a chance to brag and look forward to playing them. The only answer to the lack of fans is winning and beating quality opponents.
for those wishing to make a few dollars...purchase season tickets, and then sell them to the OU fans for $$$$...buy the less expensive seats on the west side, and make a bundle
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:23 am
for those wishing to make a few dollars...purchase season tickets, and then sell them to the OU fans for $$$$...buy the less expansive seats on the west side, and make a bundle
I’d bet Tulane prices the tickets very high for non season ticket holders
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:27 am
for those wishing to make a few dollars...purchase season tickets, and then sell them to the OU fans for $$$$...buy the less expansive seats on the west side, and make a bundle
a freind bought UT end zone season tickets, two years ago...sold them to lsu fans... I think he sold the 4 game tickets for 5,000.00 dollars...
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 am
a freind bought UT end zone season tickets, two years ago...sold them to lsu fans... I think he sold the 4 game tickets for 5,000.00 dollars...
Crazy. I can’t see an OU fan paying $5K to play the Wave though.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 am
Crazy. I can’t see an OU fan paying $5K to play the Wave though.
I agree..but I think you can sell those game tickets for the complete price of your season ticket package...That is my plan...renew and resell,
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Exactly. That's what has always happened when we play a big program here. NOLA is the top or one of the very top destination cities in the country. So those people in red pulling for OU will be from Oklahoma. History says so.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That last sentence is what I've been preaching for years. It's not just winning but winning against quality opponents that will get our fans back out and draw new ones in.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would expect a sea of red in Yulman as we will be badly outnumbered by OU fans.

What if Tulane and/or ESPN decides to move the game to Friday night? That would be great for a TV audience, but would hurt the re-sale value of the tickets, I'd imagine.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:33 pm There is bigger fish to fry than a single Yulman sellout. But then you're a burger man.
We haven't sold out Yulman since the day it opened. IF OU brings a lot of fans we might sell out Yulman this game. But Tulane fans will be a minority if we do.
No doubt about it.