2021 Volleyball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:36 pm
localvb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 am The Rich Kern volleyball site just listed Danyelle Williams from Northwestern transferred.
I looked her up and she happens to be the daughter of Aaron Williams who played for the New Orleans Hornets NBA team.
Major athletic player coming to Tulane.
it must be the Facilities !!!!
May be. Because the volleyball facilities are good; Volleyball and women's hoops were the primary reasons for the practice facility.

Show Me
Tsunami

DrBox wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 am
localvb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 am The Rich Kern volleyball site just listed Danyelle Williams from Northwestern transferred.
I looked her up and she happens to be the daughter of Aaron Williams who played for the New Orleans Hornets NBA team.
May be. Because the volleyball facilities are good; Volleyball and women's hoops were the primary reasons for the practice facility.
Or maybe because Barbara Burke found us a good coach.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 am
MBB was the primary reason for the Hertz Center. WBB and VB benefitted from it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane’s facilities are good for the VB program but until they get a Teraflex floor they are behind several schools in the conference as far as gym. It’s by far the best floor for VB.

But the main 3 reasons these top players are now going to Tulane is because of Coach Barnes, winning, program and academics. Lamar became the conference power under Barnes. Baylor went from the bottom to a national power and now Tulane has quickly moved to the top of the AAC pack and is primed to take over.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Agreed.
The talent level for the VB team has shot up each year and it’s because of a perfect matchup of academics and Barnes. He has won every where he goes.

They almost won the AAC this past crazy year. I see them getting to the top over UCF this year.
localvb
High Tide

This 2021 schedule looks great with 16 home matches but I’m confused on a couple of things. https://bit.ly/2SYVR4O

Where is LSU and Miss State that was talked about being on the schedule and more importantly where is the conference tournament. Am I missing something. Don’t all the team sports at Tulane have a conference tournament?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

localvb wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:28 pm This 2021 schedule looks great with 16 home matches but I’m confused on a couple of things. https://bit.ly/2SYVR4O

Where is LSU and Miss State that was talked about being on the schedule and more importantly where is the conference tournament. Am I missing something. Don’t all the team sports at Tulane have a conference tournament?
Ask TD
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
alumniwave
Low Tide

This is a very good schedule but I’m wondering the same thing about the conference tournament. Why is it out?
Looking forward to watching on ESPN the home matches against Texas Tech and Cal. Was wanting to see the rematch vs LSU. Tulane beat them badly in Baton Rouge. But for some reason LSU isn’t on the home schedule. I read a tweet from Coach Barnes that LSU was on the schedule so not sure why it isn’t.
alumniwave
Low Tide

This was the official announcement on the transfer coming in this season.
More firepower for the Wave!

localvb
High Tide

I’m in Orlando coaching at the AAU volleyball championships. I watched Tulane’s 2022 recruit Nia Washington and her NOLA team win the 17’s division championship. She was the mvp.
She is a special player. Not sure a Louisiana team has ever won this.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

localvb wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:35 am I’m in Orlando coaching at the AAU volleyball championships. I watched Tulane’s 2022 recruit Nia Washington and her NOLA team win the 17’s division championship. She was the mvp.
Is that the team you're coaching?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Got to see Nia's two sisters p[ay in the state softball championship game today. Both are very good athletes themselves.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:53 pm
localvb wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:35 am I’m in Orlando coaching at the AAU volleyball championships. I watched Tulane’s 2022 recruit Nia Washington and her NOLA team win the 17’s division championship. She was the mvp.
Is that the team you're coaching?
No. I live in Dallas now and coach a club team from there.
It was great to see the NOLA team play so well. Now I know why Tulane went after Nia. She is big time.
localvb
High Tide

Just saw on ESPN + that the VB Olive and Blue scrimmage will air live. That’s got to be a first.
Lots of excitement over this team. I haven’t read much about the team but have heard the team looks great.
Love watching the scrimmage and get a chance to see all the players and newcomers.
GreenLantern
Riptide

localvb wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:01 pm Just saw on ESPN + that the VB Olive and Blue scrimmage will air live. That’s got to be a first.
Lots of excitement over this team. I haven’t read much about the team but have heard the team looks great.
Love watching the scrimmage and get a chance to see all the players and newcomers.
When is the scrimmage?
McWave
High Tide

I believe Wattle Daub (WD Nation) Volleyball has won as well (2018 17s Open National Champs and 2020 18s Premier National Champs). It's a northshore club run by John Paul II (Slidell) head coach Danny Tullis. I believe Amanda Giardina (TU '20) played for this club a few years back. So the NOLA region has had some good VB results at the AAU Nationals.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:17 pm
localvb wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:01 pm Just saw on ESPN + that the VB Olive and Blue scrimmage will air live. That’s got to be a first.
When is the scrimmage?
It is tomorrow at 5 :

https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/wome ... l/schedule
localvb
High Tide

McWave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:11 am
I believe Wattle Daub (WD Nation) Volleyball has won as well (2018 17s Open National Champs and 2020 18s Premier National Champs). It's a northshore club run by John Paul II (Slidell) head coach Danny Tullis. I believe Amanda Giardina (TU '20) played for this club a few years back. So the NOLA region has had some good VB results at the AAU Nationals.
That’s right. WD and Tullis do a great job!

Looks like the scrimmage is at 5pm. Open to the public.
Pre-season poll should be coming out soon as well. I would think Tulane would be picked 3rd behind UCF and Houston. But they are more than capable of winning the AAC if they stay healthy.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's going into year 6. Time to make the tournament.
localvb
High Tide

winwave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:43 pm He's going into year 6. Time to make the tournament.
That’s interesting. I would argue going to the national championship of the NIT is more of an accomplishment than making the ncaa and getting knocked out in the first round. Last 3 years they’ve made the NIT postseason but have very close on the NCAA.

Looking over the 41 years of the NCAA in volleyball Tulane has made the ncaa tourney a grand total of 2 times. .
That’s 1 in 20 years average.

With the talent on this team now and what’s coming in in 2022 I can see this program going on a big NCAA run.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like the rest of our sports using past history is low bar syndrome. He was hired to do better than that. It is year 6. Like WF it's time to break through. Hope he does it.
localvb
High Tide

Just watched the scrimmage on ESPN replay. So impressed by the newcomers. Bumpers led all players in kills and looked amazing. Urquhart playa the game with such command. She is special. Harvey the setter is really aggressive and can hit as a setter. She has a bright future. And really likes the senior transfer Williams who had a bunch of big kills to. The offense is already way better.
So impressed!
localvb
High Tide

Pre-season poll has Tulane at #4.
I thought the poll would have had Tulane at #3. After watching the scrimmage I think Tulane is top 2.

Team (1st Place Votes) Points
UCF (10)
Houston (1)
SMU
Tulane
Cincinnati
Temple
South Florida
Wichita State
Tulsa
East Carolina
Memphis 18
localvb
High Tide

Volleyball season starts this Weekend!
Tulane host 3 teams.
Friday 12:30 vs NSU
7pm vs ASU

Saturday.
2pm vs Cal-Berkeley.

I plan to make the Saturday game which will be a great one to see. Hearing some very promising news about the team. Can’t wait to see it live!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I was a little bummed we weren’t picked to finish even in the top 3 of the conference. Looks the the conference is top heavy with a clear line between the good teams and the below average teams. Fingers crossed we break through, but I agree it’s been a bit like Fritz tenure- now or never