ECU Beats Tulane 68-58

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Right now that basketball game is scheduled for the same time as our Bowl game. The game is on ESPN+ so the time can be easily changed. Hopefully they get that changed.

We also play Cincy at home in basketaball at the same time as the SB.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No space required:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 86955.html

ECU is favored by 6.5.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Cold shooting Wave down 32-25 at the half.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another poor shooting performance. Going to be another long season. Once in a while we'll get hot from deep but most of the time it will be like today.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer
Riptide

Win or lose (mostly lose), I really don't enjoy watching Ron Hunter basketball. There is just nothing there to pull for or rely on. There is no offensive philosophy whatsoever, and that's by design. The defense may be cleverly designed, but it's either not being run correctly by the players or not effective at this level. I suspect his system is a chaotic one that worked at lower levels and could occasionally surprise much better teams, but it's not a system to base an upper-level program on. His reputation will get some good players, but we will be a middle-of-the-pack program, which is better than where we were but not really what we want.
Wave QB
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:09 am Win or lose (mostly lose), I really don't enjoy watching Ron Hunter basketball. There is just nothing there to pull for or rely on. There is no offensive philosophy whatsoever, and that's by design. The defense may be cleverly designed, but it's either not being run correctly by the players or not effective at this level. I suspect his system is a chaotic one that worked at lower levels and could occasionally surprise much better teams, but it's not a system to base an upper-level program on. His reputation will get some good players, but we will be a middle-of-the-pack program, which is better than where we were but not really what we want.

We can’t forget that he took over a 4-27 program. 12-18 was a significant improvement last year. Dropping games to Memphis and Conference Contender ECU by 10 points or less doesn’t take us out of reach of beating them in rematches.

I want to see what Coach Hunter can do with one more recruiting class. When he first got here and ran off at the mouth about Houston and the NCAA Tournament, I knew he didn’t know much about Tulane and the job that he had on his plate. This is not an easy place to build a beast. Academic requirements are one thing that we can handle, but academic demands/standards are another element to hanging around at Tulane.

I really think it’s just too early to call at this point. Year 3 should answer plenty of questions about what Coach can do here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ECU is not a conference contender. The academic demands /standards have been greatly lessened with the many easy majors put in.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:39 am ECU is not a conference contender. The academic demands /standards have been greatly lessened with the many easy majors put in.
Here's where you conflate things win. We've put in many sports-friendly majors. That doesn't mean their easy. They've added things like sports management, not basketweaving.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:38 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:39 am ECU is not a conference contender. The academic demands /standards have been greatly lessened with the many easy majors put in.
Here's where you conflate things win. We've put in many sports-friendly majors. That doesn't mean their easy. They've added things like sports management, not basketweaving.

They're easy. It's why we have so many in them. It is basket weaving. Deal with it.
Wave QB
Swell

I was thinking SMU while typing. I screwed that up.

Easy major or not, players can’t skate or get greased through academic eligibility or a Tulane Degree. We do have standards and players don’t get grades just to keep our athletic department happy like several other places. Also, there are some very talented recruits out there that have no intention on fitting in places have great academic reputations. Tulane is in that number.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:48 am

Easy major or not, players can’t skate or get greased through academic eligibility or a Tulane Degree. We do have standards and players don’t get grades just to keep our athletic department happy like several other places. Also, there are some very talented recruits out there that have no intention on fitting in places have great academic reputations. Tulane is in that number.
Bullshit. Other schools require players to go to class. These are easy majors .
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:26 am

You are bullshitting yourself if you believe that players are going to class as required at many other institutions. Easy major or not, you can not pussy foot around at Tulane like you can do at many other institutions. You are just being plain foolish if you believe that our academic standards aren’t a factor in recruiting and players remaining at Tulane. No, it’s not the only factor, but it definitely is a factor and anyone who has ever been a part of our athletic program knows that. There is definitely shit that is allowed at other Louisiana Universities that isn’t allowed around here. Pure facts. It’s not a damn excuse, but it is a factor in what type of kids can remain athletes at Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:45 am

You are bullshitting yourself if you believe that players are going to class as required at many other institutions. Easy major or not, you can not pussy foot around at Tulane like you can do at many other institutions. You are just being plain foolish if you believe that our academic standards aren’t a factor in recruiting and players remaining at Tulane. No, it’s not the only factor, but it definitely is a factor and anyone who has ever been a part of our athletic program knows that. There is definitely shit that is allowed at other Louisiana Universities that isn’t allowed around here. Pure facts. It’s not a damn excuse, but it is a factor in what type of kids can remain athletes at Tulane.
LOL. Yeah Tulane is the only school that requires players to go to class. What a joke. Totally delusional. Things have changed since your time. Keep up.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:51 am

LOL. Yeah Tulane is the only school that requires players to go to class. What a joke. Totally delusional. Things have changed since your time. Keep up.
You are the joke here. I know things have changed and can bet a large sum that I know more current athletic administrators/supporting athletic staff members in the NCAA world than you. Please let me know if you would like to put your money were your ignorance is!

You are the one who is delusional on this topic. Spend a day with an athlete in Baton Rouge and compare their normal academic day to any Tulane athlete. After reading your above foolishness, I know you will be shocked at the difference. Hell, your opinion would change after sitting in a damn basic class! There are certain things allowed other places that will not happen at Tulane. “Easy major” or not, the Tide isn’t the same at all institutions. We have several transfers who can explain to you the differences between being in a Tulane class vs many other universities. You are fooling yourself and in complete denial if your believe that things are the same. I know you and many are tired of hearing excuses, (and so am I), but to say that being a scholar-athlete at Tulane is no different than any other institution is just insane. I don’t care how current you believe you are.
Wave QB
Swell

Winwave believes that we have a bunch of football and basketball players at Tulane trying to get Kinesiology Degrees in Camp Counseling or Coaching Youth Athletes. He believes we have a bunch of Baseball and Volleyball players taking classes in Po-Boy Shop Management. He thinks that our players at Tulane turn in piss poor work and get decent grades from professors for he sake of them not being academically ineligible for the upcoming season. You are right, basketweaving.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Of the 102 players that were on the official Tulane roster at the end of the season, here's the number of players pursuing each major. I was a bit surprised to see that there were not more players declaring a major in either Health & Wellness or Exercise Science.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:34 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:51 am

You are the joke here. I know things have changed and can bet a large sum that I know more current athletic administrators/supporting athletic staff members in the NCAA world than you. Please let me know if you would like to put your money were your ignorance is!

You are the one who is delusional on this topic. Spend a day with an athlete in Baton Rouge and compare their normal academic day to any Tulane athlete. After reading your above foolishness, I know you will be shocked at the difference. Hell, your opinion would change after sitting in a damn basic class! There are certain things allowed other places that will not happen at Tulane. “Easy major” or not, the Tide isn’t the same at all institutions. We have several transfers who can explain to you the differences between being in a Tulane class vs many other universities. You are fooling yourself and in complete denial if your believe that things are the same. I know you and many are tired of hearing excuses, (and so am I), but to say that being a scholar-athlete at Tulane is no different than any other institution is just insane. I don’t care how current you believe you are.

As I've said Tulane has made big concessions to help athletics with friendly majors. Then there is the advent of the APR. Other schools players are going to class. It is nothing like in the past. Carry on all you want but this is no longer THE issue that drags our program down. The losing culture since 1950 on and the lack of facilities are the major problems.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:47 pm
Winwave believes that we have a bunch of football and basketball players at Tulane trying to get Kinesiology Degrees in Camp Counseling or Coaching Youth Athletes. He believes we have a bunch of Baseball and Volleyball players taking classes in Po-Boy Shop Management. He thinks that our players at Tulane turn in piss poor work and get decent grades from professors for he sake of them not being academically ineligible for the upcoming season. You are right, basketweaving.
We have them in Exercise Science , Homeland Secrity, Health and Wellness. Pay attention.,
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:22 pm Of the 102 players that were on the official Tulane roster at the end of the season, here's the number of players pursuing each major. I was a bit surprised to see that there were not more players declaring a major in either Health & Wellness or Exercise Science.

Thanks. That's going to include a lot of walk-ons.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

win has his front fangs deep into the belief that Tulane offers sports friendly majors that require as much effort as sports friendly majors at every other NCAA institution. He's in denial about the fact that some of these institutions are making the grade (literally) by less than honorable methods, and that not all student athletes are engaged in their academic experiences. The fact is a significant number of recruits simply don't give a crap about anything related to academics. Tulane tries to avoid them. Many other programs try to avoid them. Some others do not.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:54 pm win has his front fangs deep into the belief that Tulane offers sports friendly majors that require as much effort as sports friendly majors at every other NCAA institution. He's in denial about the fact that some of these institutions are making the grade (literally) by less than honorable methods, and that not all student athletes are engaged in their academic experiences. The fact is a significant number of recruits simply don't give a crap about anything related to academics. Tulane tries to avoid them. Many other programs try to avoid them. Some others do not.
My beliefs are based in the majors existing now for several years and we don't have people flunking out anymore. The APR puts pressure on others to have their players going to class. Then as I've mentioned in this day and age of social media no way it's not getting exposed. Are there some schools still playing with fire? Sure. But the number is much smaller than in the past. My main point is that this is not THE issue anymore. It was for a very long time. I went after it hard. The changes were finally made and enough time has passed to see that they were meaningful and positive changes for our program.
Eaglewave
Swell

Winwave is right about how the APR puts pressure on all schools, but many schools are still playing with fire and pushing kids through the eligibility door. Social media is powerful, but not enough for schools to get exposed by die hard students, professors and administrators who want to win.

I am glad that we offer athletic friendly majors, but these damn kids/top athletes want to go to school to lift weights, and play sports. They don’t want to work or have a professor that is going to show them what accountability and responsibility means. They want professors that are going to give them a C just because they play football or basketball. If you come to Tulane, your ass is going to work in the classroom and earn your degree. I have been around other division I programs, and I can’t say the same for them.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:28 pm Winwave is right about how the APR puts pressure on all schools, but many schools are still playing with fire and pushing kids through the eligibility door. Social media is powerful, but not enough for schools to get exposed by die hard students, professors and administrators who want to win.

I am glad that we offer athletic friendly majors, but these damn kids/top athletes want to go to school to lift weights, and play sports. They don’t want to work or have a professor that is going to show them what accountability and responsibility means. They want professors that are going to give them a C just because they play football or basketball. If you come to Tulane, your ass is going to work in the classroom and earn your degree. I have been around other division I programs, and I can’t say the same for them.
Thank you for your biased view. Times have changed and Tulane is no puritan.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:56 am
Eaglewave wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:28 pm Winwave is right about how the APR puts pressure on all schools, but many schools are still playing with fire and pushing kids through the eligibility door. Social media is powerful, but not enough for schools to get exposed by die hard students, professors and administrators who want to win.

Thank you for your biased view. Times have changed and Tulane is no puritan.
I agree with you that times have changed and what Tulane is right now, but you have lost your damn mind if you think all schools are taking the academic day as seriously as others. I am not sure what report you are getting from other universities, but you are very wrong on that point.
Ball Sumrall!