Potential Offensive Coordinator Targets- In Depth

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

These Offenses are all explosive and their coordinators could be potential replacements for our OC position. These coordinators are listed in no particular order.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can fill in the blanks. In particularly is it the HC or the OC who is making the magic happen at these specific schools. Also I am intrigued and confused on what happened with ULM’s OC Kubik who just went to USM before their train wreck season.

1) Buffalo (2019) 388 yards of offense per game- Andy Kotelnicki is in sixth season as offensive coordinator. He will coach the tight ends beginning in 2020 after previously coaching the running backs and quarterbacks.

A tough place to win. Buffalo ranked tenth in the nation in rushing offense in 2019, and also had the mac offensive player of the year in 2018.

The head coach Leopold is a hot commodity as well.

2) ULM/USM- (2019) 460 yards per game- Kubik- What is the story with the OC who left a high flying ULM offense and now (?) is at USM. Strong history in the state- went to high school in BR, played at La Tech and has coached in Louisiana. ULM has had a strong passing attack for several years.

“Last season, Kubik’s offense ranked No. 17 nationally at 460.9 yards per game, with his rushing attack holding a No. 26 ranking (207.3 ypg) and his passing attack 46th (253.7 ypg). In 2018, the Warhawks finished among the Sun Belt leaders in passing offense (second at 247.5 ypg.) and total offense (414.8 ypg.)”

3) Troy- (2019) - 456 yards per game - OC Ryan Pugh. In his first season at Troy, the Trojans topped the 500-yard mark in total offense on six different occasions to tie the program’s DI record and scored 35-plus points eight times; the second most in program history and fourth most in Sun Belt Conference history. The Trojans finished ninth nationally in passing offense (313.2), 25th in scoring offense (33.8) and 18th in total offense (456.3). Pugh was nominated for the Broyles Award, which is presented annually to the nation’s top assistant coach.

Went to auburn, and coached at BYU, LSU and UTSA.

4) ULL- (2019) 494 yards per game- Rob Sale. Not sure if we could get Napier’s guy who has been with him for a long time. Would have nice recruiting implications and knee cap a rival.

5) Arkansas State - (2019) 439 yards per game- Keith Heckendorf. Arkansas State put up impressive numbers with Heckendorf running the offense, ranking No. 10 in the country in passing offense (312.1 ypg), No. 14 in team passing efficiency (157.55), No. 26 in scoring offense (33.7 ppg) and No. 33 in both total offense (439.3 ypg) and red zone offense (.889).

He is also a QB coach and effectively developed several QBs at Arkansas state and when he coached at UNC and developed QB’s effectively.

6) Kent State (2019) 405 yards per game (HC)- Lewis. It may be possible to pull the Head coach who coached under Babors and is starting to turn program around. Tough place to win. “The offense continued to take big strides in 2019, improving from 22 points per game in conference play in 2018 to over 34 points in 2019” would he take the OC gig after being a Hc ?

7) Liberty- (2019) 439 yards per game. They have two OC under Freeze- Kent Austin & Harris. Both have experiance with Hugh freeze in the south and at Mississippi

8) LA Tech (2019) 436 yards per game- Joe Sloan. New for 2020 as OC, he had been on the staff for seven years leading recruiting efforts. He had helped LA tech to the #1 recruting class in conf usa and #5 in all of G5.

9) North Texas (2019) 418 yards per game. Mike Bloesch new for 2020 he came over from Tulsa and is Co OC and OL coach. He was OL coach at tulsa for 4 years. He played and was an analyst at houston.
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thanks Bi! Good research!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
exflash
High Tide

Please leave all the guys on the UL staff alone!!!! How much was your departing coach that coached at UL paid this year? How much will Southern Miss pay.....thanks!!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:35 am These Offenses are all explosive and their coordinators could be potential replacements for our OC position. These coordinators are listed in no particular order.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can fill in the blanks. In particularly is it the HC or the OC who is making the magic happen at these specific schools. Also I am intrigued and confused on what happened with ULM’s OC Kubik who just went to USM before their train wreck season.

1) Buffalo (2019) 388 yards of offense per game- Andy Kotelnicki is in sixth season as offensive coordinator. He will coach the tight ends beginning in 2020 after previously coaching the running backs and quarterbacks.

A tough place to win. Buffalo ranked tenth in the nation in rushing offense in 2019, and also had the mac offensive player of the year in 2018.

2) ULM/USM- (2019) 460 yards per game- Kubik- What is the story with the OC who left a high flying ULM offense and now (?) is at USM. Strong history in the state- went to high school in BR, played at La Tech and has coached in Louisiana. ULM has had a strong passing attack for several years.

“Last season, Kubik’s offense ranked No. 17 nationally at 460.9 yards per game, with his rushing attack holding a No. 26 ranking (207.3 ypg) and his passing attack 46th (253.7 ypg). In 2018, the Warhawks finished among the Sun Belt leaders in passing offense (second at 247.5 ypg.) and total offense (414.8 ypg.)”

3) Troy- (2019) - 456 yards per game - OC Ryan Pugh. In his first season at Troy, the Trojans topped the 500-yard mark in total offense on six different occasions to tie the program’s DI record and scored 35-plus points eight times; the second most in program history and fourth most in Sun Belt Conference history. The Trojans finished ninth nationally in passing offense (313.2), 25th in scoring offense (33.8) and 18th in total offense (456.3). Pugh was nominated for the Broyles Award, which is presented annually to the nation’s top assistant coach.

4) ULL- (2019) 494 yards per game- Rob Sale. Not sure if we could get Napier’s guy who has been with him for a long time. Would have nice recruiting implications and knee cap a rival.

5) Arkansas State - (2019) 439 yards per game- Keith Heckendorf. Arkansas State put up impressive numbers with Heckendorf running the offense, ranking No. 10 in the country in passing offense (312.1 ypg), No. 14 in team passing efficiency (157.55), No. 26 in scoring offense (33.7 ppg) and No. 33 in both total offense (439.3 ypg) and red zone offense (.889).

He is also a QB coach and effectively developed several QBs at Arkansas state and when he coached at UNC and developed QB’s effectively.

6) Kent State (2019) 405 yards per game (HC)- Lewis. It may be possible to pull the Head coach who coached under Babors and is starting to turn program around. Tough place to win. “The offense continued to take big strides in 2019, improving from 22 points per game in conference play in 2018 to over 34 points in 2019” would he take the OC gig after being a Hc ?

7) Liberty- (2019) 439 yards per game. They have two OC under Freeze- Kent Austin & Harris. Both have experiance with Hugh freeze in the south and at Mississippi

8) LA Tech (2019) 436 yards per game- Joe Sloan. New for 2020 as OC, he had been on the staff for seven years leading recruiting efforts. He had helped LA tech to the #1 recruting class in conf usa and #5 in all of G5.

9) North Texas (2019) 418 yards per game. Mike Bloesch new for 2020 he came over from Tulsa and is Co OC and OL coach. He was OL coach at tulsa for 4 years. He played and was an analyst at houston.
A+ research, much appreciated.

My uninformed vote is Joe Sloan with La Tech.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:36 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:35 am These Offenses are all explosive and their coordinators could be potential replacements for our OC position. These coordinators are listed in no particular order.

A+ research, much appreciated.

My uninformed vote is Joe Sloan with La Tech.
Sloan's work can be seen on Thursday nite vs No Texas ...the No Texas OC seems to have a following here on gotula.net as well
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

exflash wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:57 pm Please leave all the guys on the UL staff alone!!!! How much was your departing coach that coached at UL paid this year? How much will Southern Miss pay.....thanks!!
Great Question. Unfortunately, Tulane as a private school and doesn't need to disclose any of the contracts & compensation. We aren't even sure how much HC Willie Fritz Last extension was for.

We do know that Jay Hopson was paid $500,000 to be the head coach at USM last year. Thats the loweset in Conference USA. We know the most recent reported number for Willie Fritz's is $1.78M

Looking at other AAC Schools can give us a resonable guess for Will Hall's Pay. The top of the conference ( houston/cinci/ucf) is paying there OC $400k-$500k with a total assistant pool of $2.7m-$2.9m. The lowest Tier ( ECU, old Uconn) were paying $300k-$350k with a total pool of $1.78m to $1.8m. I would assume we are in the middle somewhere with coach Hall getting around $375k and the total assistant package being around $2.2m-$2.4m.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... /assistant
gbgreenie
Surge

No, one can match what Shaun did at South Florida, his Florida recruiting connections would be super getting Offensive threats, QB, backs and receivers. He ran an offense with a good mix of running and passing. Would fit with what Fritz is trying to do now and would not be a major change in philosophy. Shawn King is what the Wave has needed in a long time, someone that can coach quarterbacks up and recruit them to come here. Perfect fit and someone that would stay at Tulane and who knows could replace Willie when he is done. Shaun still stays in contact with Troy. Great choice for all the right reasons!

In his first season as running backs coach at USF (2017), King saw USF become the only team in the nation with three players to run for 800 yards or more. Senior running backs Darius Tice (986 yards and 11 TD) and D’Ernest Johnson (836 yards and 7 TD) both had career-best years and joined quarterback Quinton Flowers (1,078 yards and 11 TD) in helping USF run for 3,169 yards and 30 touchdowns. The Bulls ranked eighth in the nation in rushing offense (264.1 ypg) and stood sixth in total (513.0 ypg) and 10th in scoring offense (38.3 ppg). The Bulls ran for 200 yards or more in nine games, eclipsing 300 yards in five.
In 2016, King coached the Bulls’ quarterbacks during a record-setting season for the USF offense and American Conference Offensive Player of the Year Quinton Flowers. King helped guide Flowers to numerous USF season records including marks for total offense (4,337 yards), total touchdowns (42), passing touchdowns (24), rushing yards (1,530) and rushing touchdowns (18). Flowers rushing total of 1,530 yards ranks as the fifth-best mark ever by an FBS quarterback and his 7.73 yards per carry average ranked fourth among all FBS players in 2016. The USF offense set nearly 40 team and individual records, including team records for total yards (6,650), rushing yards (3,714) and scoring (569 points), while the Bulls posted a school-record 11-2 mark, achieved a Top 25 ranking and won the program’s fifth bowl game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

some of the forum members think Shaun King is not ready to be an OC at the level in which Tulane competes..yet a High School OC can become a College Head Coach, some in Jackson Mississippi must have been blinded by his ease in intercepting pizzas
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... n%20Ledger.
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

We need a coach who can bring our passing offense into the 21st century. And if I could be in New Orleans today I would happily help Will Hall clean out his office.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbg...Please don't post the same paragraphs over and over from Shaun's bio. Also, to say he ran the USF offense is an overstatement. Again, he's never been more than a position coach, and did that for 3 years of the over 15 years he's been out of the NFL.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:43 pm We need a coach who can bring our passing offense into the 21st century. And if I could be in New Orleans today I would happily help Will Hall clean out his office.
I think Hall is more innovated then he is given credit for...I am sure WF has resticted him in many areas...also, the WR's have not been the best Tulane has ever put on the field, so the stats are somewhat skewed, especially with the first two games being involved
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:45 pm gbg...Please don't post the same paragraphs over and over from Shaun's bio. Also, to say he ran the USF offense is an overstatement. Again, he's never been more than a position coach, and did that for 3 years of the over 15 years he's been out of the NFL.
But Wait Theres More !!...talk about being a position coach....let's not forget our all world postion coach to Head Coach ....CJ
Tulane1111
High Tide

Chip Long?, former OC Memphis & Notre Dame.... buddies with Will Hall and similar background/philosophy.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Long went from OC at ND to analyst at Tenn. I believe. He was seen as a cancer in the program and was dismissed before the Bowl game last season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:16 pm Long went from OC at ND to analyst at Tenn. I believe. He was seen as a cancer in the program and was dismissed before the Bowl game last season.
I guess "radiation" was not an option
https://utsports.com/sports/football/ro ... -long/4660

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Long
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

A wildcard here: I wouldn’t be surprised to see a hire from the D2/lower divisions. A head coach with gaudy offensive numbers, the same type of path and situation that Hall & WF had proven themselves in coming up
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:16 pm Long went from OC at ND to analyst at Tenn. I believe. He was seen as a cancer in the program and was dismissed before the Bowl game last season.
Apparently Long it is; retread city.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DrBox wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 pm
Apparently Long it is; retread city.
This seems rather different than traditional retreads. His talent isn't questioned, hes not over the hill (Is there a Buffet Bob can find around here ?). It was a Coaching Staff and player (morale ? abrasiveness ?) issue, which seems like Will Hall and Willie would have discussed head on and in great depth. Hopefully some humility has been imparted after the ND situation.
Jaxwave
Swell

Saw some quotes from Ian Book after Long left ND so Probably just an issue with Kelly rather than players. Being a huge Kelly detractor, it’s a positive to me to not get along with him. Kelly responsible for that coaching assistant losing his life on a fall from coaching tower, when he insisted the asst. work from there in a bad storm. Kelly should have lost his job, been sued personally by asst.’s family and maybe even charged with a crime.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I follow the program closely and it wasn't just between himself and Kelly. It included the coaching staff and players. He's a good OC. Got fired before the Bowl game and could only get an analyst spot at Tennessee. Enough said. Hopefully he's learned form his mistakes.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.