Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:34 am
winwave wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:48 pm That’s almost laughable—a huge step down. If Willie even had a phone call with anyone at Utah State, then he is desperate to get out of N.O. And if he feels that way, there is no reason to get worked up about it.
Yep. On one hand it could be Willie's agent once again getting Willie's name out there to squeeze even more out of their dupe TD. Or Willie feels 6 wins is the best anyone can do at Tulane and he wants out.

Btw, seems this deserves its own thread.
I thought about starting another thread but it’s probably his agent again so I didn’t take it serious. There will probably be more job opportunities he’s linked to during the next few weeks. Maybe start another thread to combine them all if he’s linked to another opening.
Looks like it would fit here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12106&p=216749&hili ... tz#p216749

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:14 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:34 am

Yep. On one hand it could be Willie's agent once again getting Willie's name out there to squeeze even more out of their dupe TD. Or Willie feels 6 wins is the best anyone can do at Tulane and he wants out.

I thought about starting another thread but it’s probably his agent again so I didn’t take it serious. There will probably be more job opportunities he’s linked to during the next few weeks. Maybe start another thread to combine them all if he’s linked to another opening.
Looks like it would fit here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12106&p=216749&hili ... tz#p216749
Yes. I couldn’t find that one. Thx.
Now here.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:46 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:30 pm

He's jumping from a hard rebuild at the #6 conference where he is already halfway home to ground zero of a moderate-hard rebuild at the #7 conference.

I just don't see it. He'd lose all progress and couldn't recruit the south like he used to.

You could make a point about going to Vandy and letting his final rebuild start there.

I think his agent is very smart, and that nothing comes of this.
We agree. I don' t think anything comes of it. Most likely his agent seeing if he can squeeze even more out of Dannen. IF there's anything to it it would be because he can't see any way above the six win level here.
if the Willie cannot see above 6 wins, than fire him...he had a 8 or 9 win team this season and he and he alone blew it !!!....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm sorry, but if a "better job" comes along and they want to hire Willie Fritz after what I consider a season that failed on the gridiron (but was successful in many other ways) so be it. Good luck, Willie. But make no mistake, this was a season that should have been 9-2 or maybe 8-3 and Willie Fritz, not "that Tulane thing" is the reason this team struggled to a 6-5 finish and towards the bottom of the AAC. All of the things that hold Tulane back had zero to do with the losses to Navy, Tulsa and SMU.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
1989alum
Low Tide

Well said DfromCT!
DrBox
Riptide

As if he interviewed with Utah State. Good lord.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:00 am I'm sorry, but if a "better job" comes along and they want to hire Willie Fritz after what I consider a season that failed on the gridiron (but was successful in many other ways) so be it. Good luck, Willie. But make no mistake, this was a season that should have been 9-2 or maybe 8-3 and Willie Fritz, not "that Tulane thing" is the reason this team struggled to a 6-5 finish and towards the bottom of the AAC. All of the things that hold Tulane back had zero to do with the losses to Navy, Tulsa and SMU.
Amen D, Amen.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
JerseyWave
Riptide

Fritz signed a contract extension at the beginning of the season and I would love to know what the buyout is. Could be a lucrative payday for Tulane if he leaves. Maybe the 6-7 win threshold is as far as he will take Tulane, but there have been several losses over the past five years I pin on his coaching failures.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:51 pm Fritz signed a contract extension at the beginning of the season and I would love to know what the buyout is. Could be a lucrative payday for Tulane if he leaves. Maybe the 6-7 win threshold is as far as he will take Tulane, but there have been several losses over the past five years I pin on his coaching failures.
memo to Willie...."Go West Young Man"......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NotJtS
Low Tide

WF has plateaued here at Tulane. Book it.
GreenLantern
Riptide

If Coach Fritz has any aspirations toward leaving for a larger program, the timing is pretty good. Have you looked at next year's schedule? Oklahoma. OleMiss. Memphis. UCF. Houston. Cincinnati. Tulsa, SMU. We also play UAB and ECU which are not gimmes. With a couple of key injuries, it's easy to see how we could have a 2 or 3 win season.

If Fritz is thinking about leaving, I've got a feeling his stock is trading higher than it will be next year at this time.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:00 am I'm sorry, but if a "better job" comes along and they want to hire Willie Fritz after what I consider a season that failed on the gridiron (but was successful in many other ways) so be it. Good luck, Willie. But make no mistake, this was a season that should have been 9-2 or maybe 8-3 and Willie Fritz, not "that Tulane thing" is the reason this team struggled to a 6-5 finish and towards the bottom of the AAC. All of the things that hold Tulane back had zero to do with the losses to Navy, Tulsa and SMU.
It's quite telling that he would even interview, and I'm not sure who it makes look worse - him or Tulane. Nevertheless, I wonder how it will impact recruiting even if he does not get the job.
GreenLantern wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:27 pm If Coach Fritz has any aspirations toward leaving for a larger program, the timing is pretty good. Have you looked at next year's schedule? Oklahoma. OleMiss. Memphis. UCF. Houston. Cincinnati. Tulsa, SMU. We also play UAB and ECU which are not gimmes. With a couple of key injuries, it's easy to see how we could have a 2 or 3 win season.

If Fritz is thinking about leaving, I've got a feeling his stock is trading higher than it will be next year at this time.
Agreed. 2020 was the year to show progress - especially given the cancelled P5 games -and now the best that he could possibly do against a much easier than expected schedule is match the win totals from 2019 and 2018.
oliveandblue
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:27 pm If Coach Fritz has any aspirations toward leaving for a larger program, the timing is pretty good. Have you looked at next year's schedule? Oklahoma. OleMiss. Memphis. UCF. Houston. Cincinnati. Tulsa, SMU. We also play UAB and ECU which are not gimmes. With a couple of key injuries, it's easy to see how we could have a 2 or 3 win season.

OU will likely buy out the Yulman game considering massive revenue losses this year. They will NEED the home draw.

Tulane can compete with everyone in the AAC minus Cincy next year.

UAB is winnable. The FCS is a lock.

Get a decent OC and it's 6-6 to 7-5.
DrBox
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:51 pm Fritz signed a contract extension at the beginning of the season and I would love to know what the buyout is. Could be a lucrative payday for Tulane if he leaves. Maybe the 6-7 win threshold is as far as he will take Tulane, but there have been several losses over the past five years I pin on his coaching failures.
And then we can hire the next Scelfo and spend the next 8 years listening to excuses.
The risk is too high.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OMG already fretting a 2 win season against that schedule. Cincy is top ten this year. They are not at a point where that status is guaranteed next year but Fickell has done a great job there. Oklahoma is not top 10 and seems to be sliding back some. Other than that all else are beatable. No reason not to expect a break through campaign in year 6.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I agree. No one is unbeatable on our schedule even OU @ Yulman. It will likely get bought out, but if they don’t & backslide slightly I think it’s possible we “shock the world” @ home. With any decent DC and Pratt I see is being able to stay competitive in any game outside of the top 10 schools.
DrBox
Riptide

If they sell the OU game, it should be for $3 mill, minimum, with the money put to tangible, visible use, such as seed funding for IPF/Ops center.
oliveandblue
Surge

DrBox wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:17 pm If they sell the OU game, it should be for $3 mill, minimum, with the money put to tangible, visible use, such as seed funding for IPF/Ops center.
Most of that money will be used to recover losses and schedule a replacement. Tulane managed to keep the red ink down, but there is some ground to make up.
austxwave
High Tide

Anyone here who believes CWF interviewed for the Utah State job is deluded. You must have a defeatist attitude. Take a deep breath and exhale. He's not interested in a job in a lesser conference with fewer resources.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

https://kslsports.com/448088/jeff-grime ... g-vacancy/?
Willie Fritz

Fritz is in his fifth season as the head coach of Tulane. He began coaching in 1982 with stints at Pittsburg State, Shanee Mission NW High School, Sam Houston State, Willis High School (TX), and Coffeyville Community College. His first head coaching experience was in 1993 with Blinn College where he won two NJCAA National Championship. In 1997, Fritz became the head coach at Central Missouri from 1997-09. Fritz then jumped over the Sam Houston State as the head coach from 2010-13.

Fritz was hired as the head coach of Georgia Southern where he was at the helm from 2014-15. Tulane hired Fritz to take over their program in 2016. During his time with the Green Wave, Fritz is 29-32 with two bowl appearances.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

austxwave wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:21 pm Anyone here who believes CWF interviewed for the Utah State job is deluded. You must have a defeatist attitude. Take a deep breath and exhale. He's not interested in a job in a lesser conference with fewer resources.
lesser resources ?!?!?.....It's above sea level...clean air....moutain views......except of the mountain views, it's just like Lubbock
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Go look at the past records/seasons of WF's coaching resume. Why wouldn't he entertain other opportunities? There's this strange misconception around here that he's this powerhouse coach. In fact, his current stint at Tulane looks the least impressive of them all on paper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Fritz
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Difficult to fairly assess Fritz’s performance here. He certainly has improved the program since his hire, yet this year must be viewed as underwhelming. The schedule was not very challenging, yet he ended ahead of just two AAC teams in conference with a team loaded with seniors. The decision to start with Keon was probably the worst decision of Fritz’s career. With Pratt at the helm from game one, I think, and imagine most of us agree, that we would have likely gone 9-2, at worst 8-3 , had a solid conference record, been in top 25 and headed for a bowl. . This would have likely helped with the soon to ensue battle to retain players and recruit transfers and high school seniors. A huge opportunity lost in a pivotal year for college football.
DrBox
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:19 pm
DrBox wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:17 pm If they sell the OU game, it should be for $3 mill, minimum, with the money put to tangible, visible use, such as seed funding for IPF/Ops center.
Most of that money will be used to recover losses and schedule a replacement. Tulane managed to keep the red ink down, but there is some ground to make up.
Then Dannen can go out and raise the money. If he's selling the one special home game we get in a decade, he should do something special with the money.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Oh Brother wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:39 pm Difficult to fairly assess Fritz’s performance here. He certainly has improved the program since his hire, yet this year must be viewed as underwhelming. The schedule was not very challenging, yet he ended ahead of just two AAC teams in conference with a team loaded with seniors. The decision to start with Keon was probably the worst decision of Fritz’s career. With Pratt at the helm from game one, I think, and imagine most of us agree, that we would have likely gone 9-2, at worst 8-3 , had a solid conference record, been in top 25 and headed for a bowl. . This would have likely helped with the soon to ensue battle to retain players and recruit transfers and high school seniors. A huge opportunity lost in a pivotal year for college football.
+1

Would have been a very different year at 8-3 or 9-2. Fritz would likely be gone and maybe Hall stays and takes this job. Otherwise we would be talking about Uab, Buffalo etc head coach.

I said this in the other thread- Utah State paid their last head coach $900k, fritz is making DOUBLE that.