Should Tulane pick a sport to dominate in?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
oliveandblue
Surge

What I mean by this is that there are a few P5 programs that found balance by first building a "bread and butter" in either football/basketball, and then moving to focus on the other sport later.

Tulane seems to financially be in a middling position (7th-9th in budget last I checked) - so we have enough money to contend (AAC-wise) in ONE sport but not both.

Cincy, Memphis, and Louisville all used basketball prowess and transferred to FB later once they were established.

Ruski
Swell

I thought our big money sport is bowling
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We don't have the money or facilities to become dominant in either sport.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dave breslin
Swell

I vote for Organized Drinking. We have a head start on most schools
oliveandblue
Surge

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:36 pm We don't have the money or facilities to become dominant in either sport.
Basketball already has a practice facility. The stadium is small, but a great coach that is well paid and can use the AAU circuits can win rather big here.

The arenas for both sports are just simply not going to be big considering the space issues Tulane has.

Tulane is kind of in a weird spot. Most FBS schools with "nice facilities" are taking GIANT loans. IF this COVID shit doesn't calm down, some schools are going to be screwed. I also don't see the TV money increasing any more than it has.
IM42lane
Swell

The only sports that Tulane MIGHT have a snowball's chance in Hades of "dominating" would be baseball or women's golf or tennis(?) . I am "wild guessing" about golf and tennis, and I only mention baseball because of Tulane's decent history in that sport.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
oliveandblue
Surge

What has got me concerned is that UCF and now Cincy have had legitimate top 10 teams that do not get a sniff into the CFP. Is it worth it to throw massive amounts of money into a sport that doesn't allow you to compete for a national championship?

I mean, once you get to 6-6 there is little added benefit unless you're 12-1 and in the NY6. All of the records in between are meaningless.
Show Me
Tsunami

We did. Baseball. But our AD decided it was not a money sport so we tried FB and Basketball and both failed miserably.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:10 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:36 pm We don't have the money or facilities to become dominant in either sport.
Basketball already has a practice facility. The stadium is small, but a great coach that is well paid and can use the AAU circuits can win rather big here.

The arenas for both sports are just simply not going to be big considering the space issues Tulane has.

Tulane is kind of in a weird spot. Most FBS schools with "nice facilities" are taking GIANT loans. IF this COVID shit doesn't calm down, some schools are going to be screwed. I also don't see the TV money increasing any more than it has.
You've obviously not stepped foot in the basketball practice facility. The locker room is extremely small and players have to share lockers to get all to fit. The players lounge is a joke. Maybe two players could fit in it at a time. Hunter even just said he loves zoom recruiting because he doesn't have to compete against others facilities.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

IM42lane wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:20 pm The only sports that Tulane MIGHT have a snowball's chance in Hades of "dominating" would be baseball or women's golf or tennis(?) . I am "wild guessing" about golf and tennis, and I only mention baseball because of Tulane's decent history in that sport.
We had our chance in baseball when many others weren't trying and we were. We didn't cash in. Now many others are trying so it will not be baseball.
swampnik
Surge

I could see giving up football or basketball if it came down to grievous money issues for continuing one or the other. I would hate that to be necessary though.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:25 am I could see giving up football or basketball if it came down to grievous money issues for continuing one or the other. I would hate that to be necessary though.
Give up either one and we are out of the AAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As to others being screwed because of temporary financial losses they'll be fine in football and basketball. They'll cut other minor sports. Their recruiting will be just fine and no one is going to come take away their facilities.
oliveandblue
Surge

swampnik wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:25 am I could see giving up football or basketball if it came down to grievous money issues for continuing one or the other. I would hate that to be necessary though.
We are one of the few in the AAC that aren't leveraged out of our ass. The top AAC schools look like P5 teams because they are just spending past their means. We could do this too if we charged an outrageous student fee or pulled money from pots that shouldn't be pulled from.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:47 am
We are one of the few in the AAC that aren't leveraged out of our ass. The top AAC schools look like P5 teams because they are just spending past their means. We could do this too if we charged an outrageous student fee or pulled money from pots that shouldn't be pulled from.
with "free for all' tuition, walk on status will take on a whole new meaning..bring back the days of Nebraskas famed "walk on program' which actually were players on a "county schollie"....the ncaa, after constant complaints by Big8 members OU and OSU and later, add Big12 member Texas... the ncaa put an end to that krap...and now Nebraska is Nebraska...an historical footnote in college football ...Tulane may be different... in that the free krap is "open to all".., under a certain income level, and will be expempt from ncaa scruitiny
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am with "free for all' tuition, walk on status will take on a whole new meaning..bring back the days of Nebraskas famed "walk on program' which actually were players on a "county schollie"....the ncaa, after constant complaints by Big8 members OU and OSU and later, add Big12 member Texas... the ncaa put an end to that krap...and now Nebraska is Nebraska...an historical footnote in college football ...Tulane may be different... in that the free krap is "open to all".., under a certain income level, and will be expempt from ncaa scruitiny
Concerning your point about 'free' tuition to all Louisiana high school graduates whose parents have a family income less than $100K, I offer this:

I have a golf friend whose grandson is a pretty good place kicker. He is a senior in high school, has attended a number of football camps and is working hard to position himself for a football scholarship. He has also had some success academically and will graduate in the top 10 of his high school class of 200+.

When I told my friend about the new Tulane program, she was beside herself with excitement. Her grandson's parents have several children and their family income is well below $100K.

After checking out the details of Tulane's new program she later told me she was very disappointed to find out that her grandson would probably not be eligible. His parents were going to give it a try nevertheless. Her explanation was that there are very challenging constraints concerning the determination of family income. It seems that eligibility is not determined by actual income but by what FAFSA calculates your income should be by considering a number of factors.

Caveat: I can't speak for the accuracy of her analysis. I can only say that she was very disappointed after investigating the offer and It sounds as if her grandson is a perfect example of the sort of student that should be able to take advantage of the offer.

The moral of the story? This is not TOPS. It will be interesting to see how many Louisiana kids are able to take advantage of the program. I predict less than 100 per each admission year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:34 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am with "free for all' tuition, walk on status will take on a whole new meaning..bring back the days of Nebraskas famed "walk on program' which actually were players on a "county schollie"....the ncaa, after constant complaints by Big8 members OU and OSU and later, add Big12 member Texas... the ncaa put an end to that krap...and now Nebraska is Nebraska...an historical footnote in college football ...Tulane may be different... in that the free krap is "open to all".., under a certain income level, and will be expempt from ncaa scruitiny
Concerning your point about 'free' tuition to all Louisiana high school graduates whose parents have a family income less than $100K, I offer this:

I have a golf friend whose grandson is a pretty good place kicker. He is a senior in high school, has attended a number of football camps and is working hard to position himself for a football scholarship. He has also had some success academically and will graduate in the top 10 of his high school class of 200+.

When I told my friend about the new Tulane program, she was beside herself with excitement. Her grandson's parents have several children and their family income is well below $100K.

After checking out the details of Tulane's new program she later told me she was very disappointed to find out that her grandson would probably not be eligible. His parents were going to give it a try nevertheless. Her explanation was that there are very challenging constraints concerning the determination of family income. It seems that eligibility is not determined by actual income but by what FAFSA calculates your income should be by considering a number of factors.

Caveat: I can't speak for the accuracy of her analysis. I can only say that she was very disappointed after investigating the offer and It sounds as if her grandson is a perfect example of the sort of student that should be able to take advantage of the offer.

The moral of the story? This is not TOPS. It will be interesting to see how many Louisiana kids are able to take advantage of the program. I predict less than 100 per each admission year.
withe the big guy's federal lock down, and dark winter fast approchain', income should not be an issue...but here is the application

https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fa ... -deadlines
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks fore sharing that. Disappointing to hear.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm What I mean by this is that there are a few P5 programs that found balance by first building a "bread and butter" in either football/basketball, and then moving to focus on the other sport later.

Tulane seems to financially be in a middling position (7th-9th in budget last I checked) - so we have enough money to contend (AAC-wise) in ONE sport but not both.

Cincy, Memphis, and Louisville all used basketball prowess and transferred to FB later once they were established.
Kind of like asking "Should Tulane first send a man to Mars or Jupiter?" If we have to pick between sports, all I can say is if we shut down or deemphasize football, Tulane's anemic donor base will vaporize completely. What Tulane does need to do is end the "let's try to get by on the cheap mentality". If we don't invest we'll continue forever as an athletic zombie.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm What I mean by this is that there are a few P5 programs that found balance by first building a "bread and butter" in either football/basketball, and then moving to focus on the other sport later.

Kind of like asking "Should Tulane first send a man to Mars or Jupiter?" If we have to pick between sports, all I can say is if we shut down or deemphasize football, Tulane's anemic donor base will vaporize completely. What Tulane does need to do is end the "let's try to get by on the cheap mentality". If we don't invest we'll continue forever as an athletic zombie.
+1
Oh Brother
Low Tide

We had a first rate baseball program under Rick Jones. College World Series twice in 5 years. Typical Tulane misfortune, we were ranked 1 in country during 2005 season , made it to Omaha and were poised to make another run in 2006 and of course Katrina happened and our team played in Ruston as I recall, players transferred, recruits backed out and we never got to that level again. Torching is our best facility, let’s go with baseball
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We played baseball at The Shrine on Airline.
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am
oliveandblue wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:47 am
with "free for all' tuition, walk on status will take on a whole new meaning..bring back the days of Nebraskas famed "walk on program' which actually were players on a "county schollie"....the ncaa, after constant complaints by Big8 members OU and OSU and later, add Big12 member Texas... the ncaa put an end to that krap...and now Nebraska is Nebraska...an historical footnote in college football ...Tulane may be different... in that the free krap is "open to all".., under a certain income level, and will be expempt from ncaa scruitiny
Perfect!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm We played baseball at The Shrine on Airline.
if memory serves, only because of the Katrina damage to campus
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks fore sharing that. Disappointing to hear.
Question..If this is a Tulane program, designed for students of Louisiana, what the Fuk do the Feds have to do with it.....the LESS the Fed Guv has to do with your life, the BETTER.....