Tulaned Again, Tulane loses in OT to Tulsa 30-24

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17084
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:08 am

wave97 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:45 pm
The sh"tbird award goes to our receivers coach, they got owned.
Bravo Mr wide receivers coach you've done an awful job of recruiting & developing talent over the last 5 years.
Our db's are poorly coached & all three of our db's coaching need a bus ticket out of town. Lionel Washington please pick up your phone.
Exactly what I have been saying for two years.


Small time facilities for small time programs.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10674
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:33 am

from Tulsa....just an FYI...the population of the State of Oklahoma, is less than the city of Houston and all major Football programs are ranked in the top 25

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/t ... 3b174.html

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulan ... 3208f.html

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/t ... 6a95c.html

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/t ... 28778.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
dz1
Ripple
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 am

You call time out and still let the QB roll out to the 3 receiver side on a Hail Mary! This is basic stuff.
User avatar
Bigschtick
Riptide
Posts: 2634
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:43 am

I was getting nauseated when the score was 14-14 and went to bed dreaming about being pissed off and you can imagine what it was like to see what happened in the short time I was not watching seeing the score this morning.

Thats it for me. I am bailing out on supporting this program Tulane will never learn to be a consistent winner. Its not in the DNA. I have been sticking around supporting the program since I graduated in 1969! No more.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10674
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 am

facilities, we don't need no facilites...we need a STADIUM, that is used 6 to 7 times a year...not Facilites, that are used every fukin' day....time to get rid of the DC and everyone associated with the D coaching staff...do this directly after the memphis game.....two total collpases...Tulsa, Navy sez it all..... If WF does not make changes...FIRE HIS AZZ...just like they did with Bennie Ellender
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17084
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:16 am

No worries. No one in Nola knows what happened. Not a single mention in the paper today. Can't hold the deadline for Tulame.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:19 am

I knew that missed chip shot was going to hurt us!

I hate to bash our sloppy/no awareness secondary after the defense allowed us to the chance to blow Tulsa away! Our WR’s and Offensive Coordinator refused to take this game over even though it was on a platter! Although they played like pure shit in the 4th quarter and overtime, anyone his has put on a helmet knows that it’s extremely difficult to get a defense to keep the other offensive out of the end zone for such a long time! Our offense and kicker had plenty of chances to take over the game!


To all of the depressed fans out there, join me in rooting for our boys to beat Memphis and land another Crabby Jacks Bowl at Pan American vs Georgia Southern or South Alabama. If you don’t want to join me, then I understand. Fans like me feel “ a little bit” better when we are at let invited to the College Bowl Game Party with the Florida Atlantic and Troy’s of the 6-6 or 7-5 teams of the world. Our administration doesn’t want us to be the BCS Busters we thought we were going to be after 1998!
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17084
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:25 am

Then they need to shut it down. They want to charge like we are a legit D1 program then they need to produce one. Put up or shut up time.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Online

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:27 am

sader24 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:37 pm
I've been blabbering this for years, Fritz is good at everything except coaching in the game. He has no feel for it, instinctually it's just not there. I don't know the answer to that, I know that I am a bar owner and I could've guided that team home up 14-0. Why are our defenders running full speed chasing WRs with 6 seconds and an obvious Hail Mary coming. They should be deep as deep can be and working back to front. The timeout was absurd. Just pathetic in game coaching when it matters.
In addition to all that, we had four DBs on their two WRs, and it looks like only one of our DBs left his feet trying to stop the Hail Mary. Their two WRs jumped much higher than any of our four DBs, three of which literally stood their and watched. I've had several non-Tulane friends email and text me the key question: Why did Tulane quit running the ball in the 4Q and OT? Literally one more running play in the 4Q, and that last 20 seconds never happens. On our last drive for a TD, why did Pratt run out of bounds when he should have fallen down just short of the sideline? Lack of situational awareness and bad in-game coaching, period.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Online

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:29 am

I couldn't feel worse this morning if I had gotten drunk downing a 50 cent bottle of Tequila.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Online

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:44 am

tpstulane wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:24 pm
Jaxwave wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 pm
1. Sure wish we wouldn't have knocked out Boomer
2. Tulsa has real nice defensive scheme
3. Our pro prospect DEs wee invisible tonight. One key sack from either and we win.
4. Someone said it on game board, but why are we calling timeout on their 4th and longs and allowing them to pow wow to set up exactly what they want, esp on Hail Mary.
5. Gotta send a delayed Blitzer at QB from his right to prevent him getting out of pocket on Hail Mary. Every QB sits, then rolls right to give WRs time to run down the field.
6. DBs have to break down instead of barreling ahead full speed when ball is throw short of sticks. Two crucial conversions for Tulsa were thrown a few yards short of first down and guys were juked by WR for first.
7. Did I point out how stupid we were to knock out Boomer
8. Guys, I try to be helpful with my advice to just realize that this is who we are at Tulane, a mediocre program at best so just sit back and watch these games and try to be entertained rather than letting winning and losing affect your life.
9. I really enjoyed tonight's game. I thought the kids played hard and deserved a better fate. But way too may worse things are going on in the world to worry about this stuff
#4 would be me. Terrible defensive timeouts. Both resulted in Tulsa TD’s. Just pathetic. You give the offense time to regroup and organize a decent play.
Great point TPS. The broader lesson is--when you clearly have the inferior in-game coaching staff, any timeout essentially gives the opponent the advantage for the next play or two.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:10 am

tpstulane wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:24 pm
Jaxwave wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 pm
1. Sure wish we wouldn't have knocked out Boomer
2. Tulsa has real nice defensive scheme
3. Our pro prospect DEs wee invisible tonight. One key sack from either and we win.
4. Someone said it on game board, but why are we calling timeout on their 4th and longs and allowing them to pow wow to set up exactly what they want, esp on Hail Mary.
5. Gotta send a delayed Blitzer at QB from his right to prevent him getting out of pocket on Hail Mary. Every QB sits, then rolls right to give WRs time to run down the field.
6. DBs have to break down instead of barreling ahead full speed when ball is throw short of sticks. Two crucial conversions for Tulsa were thrown a few yards short of first down and guys were juked by WR for first.
7. Did I point out how stupid we were to knock out Boomer
8. Guys, I try to be helpful with my advice to just realize that this is who we are at Tulane, a mediocre program at best so just sit back and watch these games and try to be entertained rather than letting winning and losing affect your life.
9. I really enjoyed tonight's game. I thought the kids played hard and deserved a better fate. But way too may worse things are going on in the world to worry about this stuff
#4 would be me. Terrible defensive timeouts. Both resulted in Tulsa TD’s. Just pathetic. You give the offense time to regroup and organize a decent play.
No it would not be you ; check the 9:17 PM time stamp on page seven vs your 9:34 PM time stamp on page eight of the thread . Perhaps you should read all the posts and consider the possibility that you are not the only person with the answers .
Make the Coming Semesters Memorable
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10674
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:16 am

and while we are at it...FIRE the WR's coach...they are a dime a dozen, just ask the Saints ...these Tulane WR's can't even run to the "light Pole' and turn right or left, much less to the 'red car' and turn around
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 am

Winners make plays. Losers don't. This isn't on coaching. We had three different times where ONE play wins the game, and we couldn't do it.

1) The 4th and 13 with 4 minutes left, ahead 14-7. The Tulsa WR caught the ball 4 yards short of the FD, and we missed the tackle. They go on to tie the game.

2) The Hail Mary pass that tied the game in regulation.

3) The dropped INT by Dyson in the first OT. We would have then won the game on a FG.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:24 am

Tulane1111 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 pm
I believe we all knew, going to the 3rd string was a problem for our luck...... better off going against the starter😁
This. I mentioned to my wife the minute that Seth Boomer went down that this was not good for us. No way would Boomer have led this comeback. As for everyone saying he's a 3rd string QB, he may only be 3rd string because Tulsa already had two veteran QBs. No way they would start him over their Sr, Zack Smith, even if he was as good. This Brin guy is going to be a handful for a couple of years. He looked to have the same kind of confidence that Pratt displays.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10674
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:46 am

Wave QB wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:19 am
I knew that missed chip shot was going to hurt us!

I hate to bash our sloppy/no awareness secondary after the defense allowed us to the chance to blow Tulsa away! Our WR’s and Offensive Coordinator refused to take this game over even though it was on a platter! Although they played like pure shit in the 4th quarter and overtime, anyone his has put on a helmet knows that it’s extremely difficult to get a defense to keep the other offensive out of the end zone for such a long time! Our offense and kicker had plenty of chances to take over the game!


To all of the depressed fans out there, join me in rooting for our boys to beat Memphis and land another Crabby Jacks Bowl at Pan American vs Georgia Southern or South Alabama. If you don’t want to join me, then I understand. Fans like me feel “ a little bit” better when we are at let invited to the College Bowl Game Party with the Florida Atlantic and Troy’s of the 6-6 or 7-5 teams of the world. Our administration doesn’t want us to be the BCS Busters we thought we were going to be after 1998!
aaahhh Place kickers...I wuz told by the Staff at Tulane, they can get them on any street corner... that was their response when I recommended a young man from here in Georgetown,Tx...he would have loved to have kicked in the Dome...he went to Colorado,...Mason Crosby now kiks for the Green Bay Packers...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
TXWave88
Surge
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 am

RobertM320 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 am
Winners make plays. Losers don't. This isn't on coaching. We had three different times where ONE play wins the game, and we couldn't do it.

1) The 4th and 13 with 4 minutes left, ahead 14-7. The Tulsa WR caught the ball 4 yards short of the FD, and we missed the tackle. They go on to tie the game.

2) The Hail Mary pass that tied the game in regulation.

3) The dropped INT by Dyson in the first OT. We would have then won the game on a FG.
Add the cheapshot personal foul when we were rolling with Jones running the ball. We go from 2nd and 1 chopping them up on their side of the field to 2nd and 16. We punt and they drive it down to score 14-7.
TXWave88
Surge
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 am

RobertM320 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:24 am
Tulane1111 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 pm
I believe we all knew, going to the 3rd string was a problem for our luck...... better off going against the starter😁
This. I mentioned to my wife the minute that Seth Boomer went down that this was not good for us. No way would Boomer have led this comeback. As for everyone saying he's a 3rd string QB, he may only be 3rd string because Tulsa already had two veteran QBs. No way they would start him over their Sr, Zack Smith, even if he was as good. This Brin guy is going to be a handful for a couple of years. He looked to have the same kind of confidence that Pratt displays.
I fully expect Brin to have a 3 turnovergame next week if he plays. That is Tulane for ya!
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 20203
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:26 am

nawlinspete wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:10 am
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:24 pm
Jaxwave wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 pm
1. Sure wish we wouldn't have knocked out Boomer
2. Tulsa has real nice defensive scheme
3. Our pro prospect DEs wee invisible tonight. One key sack from either and we win.
4. Someone said it on game board, but why are we calling timeout on their 4th and longs and allowing them to pow wow to set up exactly what they want, esp on Hail Mary.
5. Gotta send a delayed Blitzer at QB from his right to prevent him getting out of pocket on Hail Mary. Every QB sits, then rolls right to give WRs time to run down the field.
6. DBs have to break down instead of barreling ahead full speed when ball is throw short of sticks. Two crucial conversions for Tulsa were thrown a few yards short of first down and guys were juked by WR for first.
7. Did I point out how stupid we were to knock out Boomer
8. Guys, I try to be helpful with my advice to just realize that this is who we are at Tulane, a mediocre program at best so just sit back and watch these games and try to be entertained rather than letting winning and losing affect your life.
9. I really enjoyed tonight's game. I thought the kids played hard and deserved a better fate. But way too may worse things are going on in the world to worry about this stuff
#4 would be me. Terrible defensive timeouts. Both resulted in Tulsa TD’s. Just pathetic. You give the offense time to regroup and organize a decent play.
No it would not be you ; check the 9:17 PM time stamp on page seven vs your 9:34 PM time stamp on page eight of the thread . Perhaps you should read all the posts and consider the possibility that you are not the only person with the answers .
I read all the posts except yours for the most part. I was posting throughout the game. There’s no post with a 9:17Pm time. Page numbers have no meaning. I sort my last first. Some people sort theirs first last. What time zone are you on? There’s nothing posted 9:17 CST. Put down the bottle.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17084
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:27 am
sader24 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:37 pm
I've been blabbering this for years, Fritz is good at everything except coaching in the game. He has no feel for it, instinctually it's just not there. I don't know the answer to that, I know that I am a bar owner and I could've guided that team home up 14-0. Why are our defenders running full speed chasing WRs with 6 seconds and an obvious Hail Mary coming. They should be deep as deep can be and working back to front. The timeout was absurd. Just pathetic in game coaching when it matters.
In addition to all that, we had four DBs on their two WRs, and it looks like only one of our DBs left his feet trying to stop the Hail Mary. Their two WRs jumped much higher than any of our four DBs, three of which literally stood their and watched. I've had several non-Tulane friends email and text me the key question: Why did Tulane quit running the ball in the 4Q and OT? Literally one more running play in the 4Q, and that last 20 seconds never happens. On our last drive for a TD, why did Pratt run out of bounds when he should have fallen down just short of the sideline? Lack of situational awareness and bad in-game coaching, period.
That play with Pratt running out of bounds was a big mistake. I couldn’t believe he did that. He’s good and will only get better but he’s got to stay in bounds. The week before we had James make a catch on a 3rd down and he ran out of bounds a couple of yards short of it instead of continuing on and engaging in contact with the DB that was approaching. No awareness. The coaches need to drill that into the team.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Online

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 am

Tulane Football National Television record for 2020: 💩💩💩

1) Blew a 24 point lead against Navy, all we had to do was run the ball in the second half, everyone could see Howard was a disaster for passing the ball?;
2) Blew a 17 point lead to Houston @ Houston;
3) Blew a 14 point lead to Tulsa, and why we just didn’t run the ball in the OT I will never know?

And, I know this was a judgment call, but when we called a timeout with 6 seconds left I questioned why? I thought, better instead to have them run around like a “Chinese Water Drill” and then try to throw a Hail Mary Pass? I would be stunned if to learn we don't practice defense of the Hail Mary Pass?

Oh well, yet another national television embarrassment.
squilz
Low Tide
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:30 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:30 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:14 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:03 pm
We can take some comfort from
the fact that few fan bases could endure what the Tulane fan base has to endure routinely.
I really think the university should consider stoping D1 Fball and Bball. It is a waste of money at this point.
Sad.
We have a great recruiting area for Fball and can barely get above .500.
Then you have Bball which is an absolute joke.

Maybe Emery is where we should be.
My feeling all along has been, whatever level Tulane is at, I want to see a winning team. I don't care who we're beating up on, but whatever level we're at, a competitive team makes me a happy fan. It could be winning the SEC against LSU, Bama, and Georgia, or the damn Southern Athletic Conference against Rhodes, Sewanee, and Millsaps. I'm happy either way. But THIS??
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17084
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 am

Small time facilities for small time programs.
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:53 am

TXWave88 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 am
RobertM320 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 am
Winners make plays. Losers don't. This isn't on coaching. We had three different times where ONE play wins the game, and we couldn't do it.

1) The 4th and 13 with 4 minutes left, ahead 14-7. The Tulsa WR caught the ball 4 yards short of the FD, and we missed the tackle. They go on to tie the game.

2) The Hail Mary pass that tied the game in regulation.

3) The dropped INT by Dyson in the first OT. We would have then won the game on a FG.
Add the cheapshot personal foul when we were rolling with Jones running the ball. We go from 2nd and 1 chopping them up on their side of the field to 2nd and 16. We punt and they drive it down to score 14-7.
Agreed.

My point was more the specific plays that if any one of them were executed the game would have been over. Stop that 4th and 13, game over. Stop the Hail Mary, game over. Intercept that pass, we kick a FG, game over.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17084
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:53 am

Three and out:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 227e5.html

More like down and out.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Post Reply