Tulaned Again, Tulane loses in OT to Tulsa 30-24

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:59 am

Its pretty amazing just how little it takes to be 5-5 instead of 8-2.

Blow a 24-0 lead vs Navy, lose on game ending FG.

Lose SMU on FG in OT

Lose Tulsa on pick-six in OT.

Two of those three teams were ranked. Had we won those three instead of lost them, would we be ranked at 8-2 and 5-2 in conf? I don't know.

We are so close. The $64K question is, can we get over that hump to where we'd be 8-2 instead of 5-5? I honestly don't know.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 1676
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 am

Well, I am totally disgusted with this team! We still do not know how to win! YOU DON’T LET A THIRD STRING QB BEAT YOU! Fritz, you and your coaching staff should be embarrassed!!!

It is getting embarrassing to be on national TV and lose this way. It happens once in a in a while to every team but Tulane seems to have the upper hand in these kinds of losses.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
User avatar
Bigschtick
Riptide
Posts: 2634
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:32 pm

TURVS71 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 am
Well, I am totally disgusted with this team! We still do not know how to win! YOU DON’T LET A THIRD STRING QB BEAT YOU! Fritz, you and your coaching staff should be embarrassed!!!

It is getting embarrassing to be on national TV and lose this way. It happens once in a in a while to every team but Tulane seems to have the upper hand in these kinds of losses.
Fans a lot more pissed than Fritz. I have never seen him show any anger after these losses. He never gets up in front of the fans and apologizes! Thanks to our brilliant
AD, its all a very comfy cakewalk for Fritz over the next few years!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17083
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:24 pm

We could easily be 4-6 when you look at the USA game. You are what you're record says you are. There's no place for cover for this staff. The important numbers are this- 2-5. For the fourth time in their 5 years we will finish with a losing record in the conference. That's with this being a down year for the conference. Just bad.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
51WaveBG
High Tide
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:00 pm

It is obvious that the defensive backfield coaching staff is not getting the job done. Too many of the same mistakes each week. Player talent level is only average, but there is no excuse for making the same mistakes, over and over each week. Fritz is too much of a "close to the vest" coach for this league. College football is changing and if Fritz doesn't change with it, TU will always b a middle of the league non-contender. Even Nick Saban got the picture and look how different the Alabame has become.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10119
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:15 pm

I still can barely talk about that loss. I turned the tv and my phone off before the Tulsa defender crossed the 50. One thing I have to point out is: As good as Pratt may become, he's not there. A third string QB came off the bench and accomplished more in 25 minutes of play than Pratt has in any game he's played in. Also, the timeout was dumb, and the three players near the guy that caught the Hail Mary got in each others way more than anything else. That last drive to tie the game late had 3 plays that should have ended the game, none of them did.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17083
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Problem is we aren't middle of the pack. We will end with a losing conference record for the 4th time in Fritz' five years.

As to Pratt no one is saying he's there yet but it's not all on the QB. The line play continues to suck especially without Knutson. The WR play is abysmal.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 2100
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm

winwave wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:20 pm
Problem is we aren't middle of the pack. We will end with a losing conference record for the 4th time in Fritz' five years.

As to Pratt no one is saying he's there yet but it's not all on the QB. The line play continues to suck especially without Knutson. The WR play is abysmal.
This. Every season, Tulane fans always argue that Tulane is "fill in the blank" position group away from being good. They argued that the QB was the issue at the beginning of this season, and, fortunately, Tulane subsequently found a QB. Fast forward, Tulane is still not winning games.

At this point, it is a legitimate question to ask whether Fritz can produce more than 7 wins at Tulane in a single season (inclusive of bowl).
User avatar
IM42lane
Swell
Posts: 1987
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:36 pm
Location: St. George, LA 70817-6045
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Before Fritz got here, Tulane's FB record was about 2-3 wins per season. Now, it is 5-6 wins (and maybe 7 with a bowl win). Therefore, he has improved the product over these last few years.

Many of you want more (and so do I), but as we have seen, that is not so easy to attain. This year, he had to replace a starting QB with an unproven freshman and he had to also replace a really great RB (who tore his ACL at USM) with anyone in the RB corps who could step up. Freshmen and sophomores are playing in significant numbers throughout the lineup on the field. The Watts duo comes to mind, as well as the wide receiver from Hahnville. Many of you are asking these freshmen/sophomores to play like juniors/seniors and they just can not, especially in crunch time.

Many of you want to run Fritz and his staff out of here because you think that this program right now should be ready to challenge for a league championship. I look down the road about two more years and hope that these younger players will mature and be able to handle the game pressure situations better.

Finally, if any of you are tired to being 'Tulaned' ('Too Lamed'), then would you please leave this forum, do everyone a favor, and post your rantings on TigerDroppings. You will fit in very well over there.
Best Regards to All, (& Keep it ROLLIN' . . .),

"Pete" M.

A. S. Madere

Tulane College A&S / Navy ROTC 1970-1974
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10119
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:03 pm

The Watts twins are Juniors as they completed JUCO. But you're right, there are a lot of RS Frosh and True Frosh playing. But we thought, given the schedule, we'd be ahead where we are, and tired of leaving wins on the table. I'm not, nor have I ever, called for Fritz's job. But as I've said, since the Navy game I truly wonder if he can take us from almost mediocre to good. They were saying good to great, I'm wondering if we can go from ok to good?

There are big sections of this thread I didn't read because I couldn't bring myself here until later in the afternoon. But as I texted to a few folks last night, I ask why we keep doing this to ourselves as Tulane fans? We're just stubborn. One of my best friends and former Tulane roommate that loves sports and loved Tulane Athletics turned on last night for the first time this year. "That's why I don't watch anymore." he said earlier today. "We're nowhere close to even the good G5 teams. Tulane is still Tulane and it hurts too much to watch them self destruct time after time after time." I really couldn't argue other than to say I'm too much of a die hard fan. Fritz has improved the quality of the team we put on the field, no doubt. But his teams have found more ways to rip our hearts out than I could have ever fathomed when he was hired 5 years ago.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
swampnik
Surge
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Paris, France et NOLA
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:42 am

Wow. Intense game for sure. Officials did not cost us the game. Kind if wish Fritz had gone for a run or FG on 3 rd down actually. Pratt trying to chase the guy who intercepted his pass broke your heart and am sure he was inconsolable afterwards. Props to 3rd string Brin. His coach should rotate him in for next game. Let's take Memphis and finish with a smile on our faces!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 am

IM42lane wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:10 pm
Before Fritz got here, Tulane's FB record was about 2-3 wins per season. Now, it is 5-6 wins (and maybe 7 with a bowl win). Therefore, he has improved the product over these last few years.

Many of you want more (and so do I), but as we have seen, that is not so easy to attain. This year, he had to replace a starting QB with an unproven freshman and he had to also replace a really great RB (who tore his ACL at USM) with anyone in the RB corps who could step up. Freshmen and sophomores are playing in significant numbers throughout the lineup on the field. The Watts duo comes to mind, as well as the wide receiver from Hahnville. Many of you are asking these freshmen/sophomores to play like juniors/seniors and they just can not, especially in crunch time.

Many of you want to run Fritz and his staff out of here because you think that this program right now should be ready to challenge for a league championship. I look down the road about two more years and hope that these younger players will mature and be able to handle the game pressure situations better.

Finally, if any of you are tired to being 'Tulaned' ('Too Lamed'), then would you please leave this forum, do everyone a favor, and post your rantings on TigerDroppings. You will fit in very well over there.
I agree with you in some part but the guys spitting the bit are not frosh/sophs. Larry Brooks is a Junior. He looked completely lost on his assignment on the hail mary. Macon Clark(37) is also a junior and his inability to tackle really cost us the game. Deuce Watts is a junior and he catches 50% of the passes thrown to him. Will Hall's play calling has us going to the TE's the majority of the time. He has no confidence in the WR passing game. I for one think the OL play has been good considering the young guys we have playing. Our DE's are good against average competition. It's a shame they are seniors because they need another year. The one and only issue I have with this staff is accountability. They let the undisciplined stuff go on so much, I almost expect it. Until this university makes a commitment to big time athletics we will continue to be middle of the pack. And I believe the last thing this forum needs is more fans to go away. We barely have enough now.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 am

DfromCT wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:15 pm
I still can barely talk about that loss. I turned the tv and my phone off before the Tulsa defender crossed the 50. One thing I have to point out is: As good as Pratt may become, he's not there. A third string QB came off the bench and accomplished more in 25 minutes of play than Pratt has in any game he's played in. Also, the timeout was dumb, and the three players near the guy that caught the Hail Mary got in each others way more than anything else. That last drive to tie the game late had 3 plays that should have ended the game, none of them did.
You put Pratt on their team and they beat us by 4 TD's.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10119
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 am

Pepper wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 am
You put Pratt on their team and they beat us by 4 TD's.
I'm glad you think so. I still say that, at this time, he's no better than a mediocre AAC QB. Better than what we've had under Fritz, but that's more an indictment of those QB's than anything else.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
swampnik
Surge
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Paris, France et NOLA
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:19 pm

As bad as we feel; I'm sure Pratt is feeling worse.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:45 pm

winwave wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:24 pm
We could easily be 4-6 when you look at the USA game. You are what you're record says you are. There's no place for cover for this staff. The important numbers are this- 2-5. For the fourth time in their 5 years we will finish with a losing record in the conference. That's with this being a down year for the conference. Just bad.
It’s amazing to me how we could easily be 7-2 as well. Fritz and his staff hav made some horrific decisions in those tight losses! I am sure we could all pick out 10 things that would have changed those Navy, Houston and Tulsa outcomes.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17083
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:56 pm

But they made those decisions . Hence we are 2-5.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Online

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 pm

Very similar to the Teevens years--Tulsa never stopped our ground game after halftime, our coaches did.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17083
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm

In the 2nd half we ran 24 times and passed 5 times.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 am
Pepper wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 am
You put Pratt on their team and they beat us by 4 TD's.
I'm glad you think so. I still say that, at this time, he's no better than a mediocre AAC QB. Better than what we've had under Fritz, but that's more an indictment of those QB's than anything else.
He has a young OL, No receivers, 2nd string rb and decent TE's. Give him Tulsa's weapons and OL I think he would be better than mediocre. What you should be worrying about is whether he will be here next year.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Ruski
Swell
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:45 pm

Pepper wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 am
Pepper wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 am
You put Pratt on their team and they beat us by 4 TD's.
I'm glad you think so. I still say that, at this time, he's no better than a mediocre AAC QB. Better than what we've had under Fritz, but that's more an indictment of those QB's than anything else.
He has a young OL, No receivers, 2nd string rb and decent TE's. Give him Tulsa's weapons and OL I think he would be better than mediocre. What you should be worrying about is whether he will be here next year.
I wouldn't be worried about that. After each TD he would run straight to WF to celebrate.
gbgreenie
Surge
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:56 pm

Bottom line the talent is in place, blame the coaches not the players. Facts check the 247 recruiting rankings and we constantly beat Tulsa. Coaches teach and demand players play good fundamentals and positioning on things like the Hail Mary. I have seen poor tackling techniques and coverage from Defensive Backs, lots of times DB's are not looking back checking the quarterbacks eyes. Lots of arm tackling very few solid hits. Blocking techniques not trying to get the defensive rush off their feet. No crossing patterns or screening to get wide receivers and backs open in space!!! Just overall coaching both sides of the ball. Teams win and lose on Fundamentals, that is facts and coaching putting players in position and doing the unexpected, passing on lst downs, mixing up play calling. The best team does not always win, the best coached team has huge advantages.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17083
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:28 am

Pepper wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 am
Pepper wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 am
You put Pratt on their team and they beat us by 4 TD's.
I'm glad you think so. I still say that, at this time, he's no better than a mediocre AAC QB. Better than what we've had under Fritz, but that's more an indictment of those QB's than anything else.
He has a young OL, No receivers, 2nd string rb and decent TE's. Give him Tulsa's weapons and OL I think he would be better than mediocre. What you should be worrying about is whether he will be here next year.
I agree that Pratt is good but his line is veteran. He has two seniors, two juniors and a sophomore starting. The sophomore played a lot last year and got at least five starts.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
dz1
Ripple
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:12 am

It comes down to athleticism, discipline and effort. Coaches are responsible for recruiting skilled athletes and instilling the discipline and effort in them to be successful. The ball doesn’t bounce Alabama’s way more than any other team. The difference is when the ball does bounce they have 5 players around it ready to pick it up because they have athletes playing with discipline and effort. Their coach has zero tolerance for anything less. While this team is lacking some in athleticism, I see a bigger issue with discipline and effort.
swampnik
Surge
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Paris, France et NOLA
Status: Offline

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:03 am

Ruski wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:45 pm
Pepper wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 am


I'm glad you think so. I still say that, at this time, he's no better than a mediocre AAC QB. Better than what we've had under Fritz, but that's more an indictment of those QB's than anything else.
He has a young OL, No receivers, 2nd string rb and decent TE's. Give him Tulsa's weapons and OL I think he would be better than mediocre. What you should be worrying about is whether he will be here next year.
I wouldn't be worried about that. After each TD he would run straight to WF to celebrate.
Skip, actually. His pep is contagious to watch.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Post Reply