Changing the Narrative

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

I’m going to hope for a win against Memphis and thus a winning season- could care less whether we accept an invite to obscure bowl to play a MAC team. We fans( who truly care as exemplified by everything that is written on this site) need to give him one more year to win 7 games and do something in conference or start expressing ourselves more forcefully. I say 7, which is hardly a great measure of success, because OOC is extremely tough. I wasn’t to see 5-6 in conference wins! Fritz sounded so broken after presser I am glad he has three weeks to buck up

nawlinspete
Riptide

Where can we see/hear the presser from the Tulsa game Oh Brother ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Go on google to Willie Fritz Press Conference, will give you the post game comments video on Tulane green wave
RobertM320
Green Wave

Oh Brother wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:31 pm I’m going to hope for a win against Memphis and thus a winning season- could care less whether we accept an invite to obscure bowl to play a MAC team. We fans( who truly care as exemplified by everything that is written on this site) need to give him one more year to win 7 games and do something in conference or start expressing ourselves more forcefully. I say 7, which is hardly a great measure of success, because OOC is extremely tough. I wasn’t to see 5-6 in conference wins! Fritz sounded so broken after presser I am glad he has three weeks to buck up
Two weeks. Game vs Memphis is Dec 5.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
oliveandblue
Surge

Here's sobering reality:

BYU are losing $20m in a year with a historic team.
Tennessee are losing $40m in a year with an SEC TV paycheck in it.

Nobody is going to be turning a corner - this is survival mode for schools until 2023.
Ruski
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:23 pm Here's sobering reality:

BYU are losing $20m in a year with a historic team.
Tennessee are losing $40m in a year with an SEC TV paycheck in it.

Nobody is going to be turning a corner - this is survival mode for schools until 2023.
Tulane football might come out of COVID stronger than ever.....we've been preparing for attendance-free football for decades!
Oh Brother
Low Tide

With reference to Favre , I recall attending the game in Hattiesburg when Favre came in second half and lit us up. As I remember it, we had a nice quarterback that year and thought we would have a good season. It rained throughout but FVre, they pronounced it Favor then, was too much
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

not sure if this was posted by CCS - Ed Daniels
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... program%2F
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
1989alum
Low Tide

I don't care that now is better than the CJ/Buffet Bob years, as Troy likes to tout. If that is the bar, we need to go back to CUSA and be happy. Right now, the other team wants to win the game more than we do (except maybe Army with their idiotic play calling), our defense is horrible, the coaches don't call a smart game for 60 minutes and our conf foes have pulled way ahead of us on the road to consistent success...especially sad is how our private peers, SMU and Tulsa, have lapped us during Willie's tenure. Willie needs to show he is a true FBS coach with an eight win season next year or go back to the bush leagues.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Oh no. We can't expect 8 wins next year in year six of Willie. Many of our fans are already declaring next years schedule too tough for that. Ole Miss in year two of Lane is too tough for Tulane. (sarcasm).Then we also have Morgan State, UAB and Oklahoma. Go 3-1 to prove you can do it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
MicMan
Swell

It can finally be said: Tulane football is on a better trend than Nebraska.

This must be 2020.
Dave breslin
Swell

Good article from Ed Daniels. It’s the truth. We are better than the recent past. Snake bitten by Navy and Tulsa. Little things need to be done to improve and it can be done. Will it-Willy? Get it done!!! No more being lackadaisical get that intangible-toughness.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:50 pm not sure if this was posted by CCS - Ed Daniels
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... program%2F
I watched Ed’s 1/2 hour SportsZone TV show last night and he opened it with Tulane Tulsa. He was very positive and had a good interview with WF. I didn’t realize we lost 3 games on the final play this year. I really like Willie Fritz and hope he can breakthrough here next year. Ed pointed out that we are very young and the recruiting and future looks very bright and Tulane hasn’t won 7 games in 3 straight seasons since 1929-31. Wow
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well we aren't very young. Both lines are upper class laden. The WR's are too. The TE is a junior. The RB's are upperclassmen . The QB is a freshman. The LB's are upperclassmen . The DB's are upperclassmen. The Kickers are upperclassmen. This is his 5th year. So cutting it close doesn't cut it. If it was his first or second year that might portend some promise. As to winning 7 in a row let's hope we do it but when you play 13 games a year (12 this one) it's no great feat. back in the day they didn't play nearly that many. We all like Willie and want him to siucceed and stay a long time but he's five years in and we're still pouring over the schedule looking to see who's so bad that we can beat them . That doesn't cut it. Plus you already have people throwing in the towel on next year saying you can't expect a big jump in year 6 b/c of the schedule. So wait till 2022. Oh the joy. :roll:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
alumniwave
Low Tide

People who get to the edge of the boat ready to jump just so they can say “I told you so!” Are the worse. Don’t you think.

Some fans just have no idea about coaching and competition. The steps to become a winning program are being taken at Tulane. The culture and recruiting is being built. Some just don’t see it at all until the end product is there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The worst are those like you who want to ignore what's right in front of you and insist all is well all the time at Tulane. It's not about I told you so. It's about wanting to see Tulane football rise up and win meaningful games that lead to conference championships. I'll say this go back and refute anything I posted just above. Fact is you can't so you just attack. You're part of the problem not the solution.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Tulane coaches who have turned the program around have done so within two or three years--Larry Smith, Mack Brown, and Tommy Bowden. Technically, Fritz has also done this, although not to the same degree that Smith and Bowden did--but the biggest difference with Fritz is that he's still here. We all thought we were headed for the stars with Smith, Brown and Bowden--and maybe we would have, but we'll never really know. Fritz has stayed here, but his trend line has flattened out because of problems with game preparation, in-game decisions, tenure-bias, discipline, focus and execution. All this has many Tulane fans disappointed by where we are. We see and understand improvement, but we also know that our improvement has flattened out--which is a new condition for Tulane fans since we haven't kept a successful coach for 5+ years since Rufus The Dufus and his deemphasis. We're essentially in unchartered waters.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 pm Tulane coaches who have turned the program around have done so within two or three years--Larry Smith, Mack Brown, and Tommy Bowden. Technically, Fritz has also done this, although not to the same degree that Smith and Bowden did--but the biggest difference with Fritz is that he's still here. We all thought we were headed for the stars with Smith, Brown and Bowden--and maybe we would have, but we'll never really know. Fritz has stayed here, but his trend line has flattened out because of problems with game preparation, in-game decisions, tenure-bias, discipline, focus and execution. All this has many Tulane fans disappointed by where we are. We see and understand improvement, but we also know that our improvement has flattened out--which is a new condition for Tulane fans since we haven't kept a successful coach for 5+ years since Rufus The Dufus and his deemphasis. We're essentially in unchartered waters.
+1
Aegis
High Tide

I don’t know if the narrative has changed or not, I’’d like to think so. I do know under Fritz we are definitely on better footing. We are in much better shape across the board. Everyone is complaining, rightfully so, about where we are in year five of Frtz’s leadership. I don’t see it that way because when Fritz came on board he had to look up to see down. Recruiting was way off kilter, the roster was a mess and the culture left behind by Johnson was horrible. Fritz has worked his butt off to get us where we are now. Too me he is in year three. It took two years to get where most new coaches come in to a program. The one thing that does bother me is the lack of killer instinct/mentality. It’s like we are a bunch of nice guys. We need to be animals on the field.
Dave breslin
Swell

👍Aegis. When Willy got here this was the bottom feeder of D1. Just think back to those CJ/Price /Dickson/Cowan days and your colon will explode. Are we there yet-no , but we are at least not a joke. Win wave is right about not being on “top” of our conference. But, think how well we’d have ended with the CJ/ Holy Toledo chauffeur driven bus. We still need a killer mentality as opposed to “oh crap not again” thinking. No more getting a turnover and putting the O in neutral. Go for the kill! ( unless we’re up by 100).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:56 am Well we aren't very young. Both lines are upper class laden. The WR's are too. The TE is a junior. The RB's are upperclassmen . The QB is a freshman. The LB's are upperclassmen . The DB's are upperclassmen. The Kickers are upperclassmen. This is his 5th year. So cutting it close doesn't cut it. If it was his first or second year that might portend some promise. As to winning 7 in a row let's hope we do it but when you play 13 games a year (12 this one) it's no great feat. back in the day they didn't play nearly that many. We all like Willie and want him to siucceed and stay a long time but he's five years in and we're still pouring over the schedule looking to see who's so bad that we can beat them . That doesn't cut it. Plus you already have people throwing in the towel on next year saying you can't expect a big jump in year 6 b/c of the schedule. So wait till 2022. Oh the joy. :roll:
With all winter sports given another year of eligibility I think that’s why he considered us very young.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I took it as excuse making. Even with that our players couldn't be considered young. I appreciate that over the years Ed continued to call Tulane athletics out. Unfortunately it looks like he didn't have as high as expectations for the program as I thought he did. Like most journalist in this day and age he's taken a liking to WF so he tries to take up for him. It was a weak column.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Chip Long Bumps this thread
Aegis
High Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 pm Tulane coaches who have turned the program around have done so within two or three years--Larry Smith, Mack Brown, and Tommy Bowden. Technically, Fritz has also done this, although not to the same degree that Smith and Bowden did--but the biggest difference with Fritz is that he's still here. We all thought we were headed for the stars with Smith, Brown and Bowden--and maybe we would have, but we'll never really know. Fritz has stayed here, but his trend line has flattened out because of problems with game preparation, in-game decisions, tenure-bias, discipline, focus and execution. All this has many Tulane fans disappointed by where we are. We see and understand improvement, but we also know that our improvement has flattened out--which is a new condition for Tulane fans since we haven't kept a successful coach for 5+ years since Rufus The Dufus and his deemphasis. We're essentially in unchartered waters.
None of those coaches followed Codick.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aegis wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:33 pm
None of those coaches followed Codick.
No they didn't. But each inherited a screwed up football program. Larry Smith had to turn around Ellender's three-year nose dive, Mack Brown had to clean the Wally English stench off the program, and Bowden had to overcome Eamon Kelly's Tulane Model. So they all had significant hurdles to overcome in turning the program around. But you're right, nothing matches the hole that Cow/Dick put Tulane in.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana