Win out?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:54 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:00 pm This should have been his best year. We have Pratt now but a lot of talent will be leaving on defense. This is year 5 and it is his program now. As down a year as the conference is having it's a huge disappointment that we have struggled like this. No nobodycares .com Bowl will make up for that. Major staff changes need tio happen. The DC, all DB coaches, WR and TE coaches for sure.

Fritz deserves some credit if he wins out, and makes staff changes. A 6-6 Wave might not give you the Bowl Appearance you wanted, but we won’t be sitting at home during the bowl season.

I expected more in year 5 as well.
Not really. It will just reinforce that he will lose to the tougher portion of the schedule and then eek out just enough wins to get to .500 in the regular season. By year 5 that trend should have clearly changed. Especially since the league is so down.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:20 am He never had a QB this year, this wasn’t the year. Our hope was getting Duffy or another grad transfer. I expect our defense to improve next year even with the losses on the Dline. . . Especially if we fire Curtis and next years’ grad transfer will be superior. Another year of improved recruiting and an actual QB will push this team to 8 wins or more next year - even with the tougher schedule.
He has a capable QB that he chose not to play until three gamnes in. The problems run much deeper than that. The O-Line continues to suck. WR's continue to drop passes at alarming rates. See the difference in Mooney when he got good coaching versus what he had at Tulane. The defense greatly underperforming. The team not playing for four quarters on a regular basis. Just trying to write this off on the QB position is excuse making. Major changes need to be made and the fan base must be clear in demanding it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

Agree with everything but Mooney. He was an obvious beast , the passing game was awful.
Dave breslin
Swell

Win out? Why not!!! I do worry that our D hasn’t performed up to expectations. Maybe they were too high to begin with. And for some reason-many of the D’s are being pushed around. Was it COVID or the change in offense? I thought the Defense would have had the advantage with a slow start of the season. But, why NOT WIN out?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

With the freeby season this year, and on the bold presumption that we have a new DC next year, Sample and Johnson would be smart to stay at Tulane another year. They don't appear to be NFL ready at this point. On the other hand, if Curtis is still here, what's the point.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:16 am Agree with everything but Mooney. He was an obvious beast , the passing game was awful.
As to Mooney I was referencing his issues with drops that he no longer has with the Bears. I certainly recognized his talent while he was here.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aegis
High Tide

I here everyone bagging on the defense and it is deserved. However you need an offense to put points and pressure on the opponent. Sadly Halls offense has put zero pressure on the other team I don’t care how good your defense is it will wear down if the offense keeps going three and out. All good teams have balance. Finally I question the talent on defense. There are no monsters that strike fear in the other team. No Wilfred Simon or Charlie Hall. We need animals on defense and we have none. One last note offensive line coach has failed and a WR should at h the damn ball no matter who his f-Ing coach is.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually the offense has now scored over 30 points a game five games in a row. First time we have done that since 1998. As to the defense Patrick Johnson did strike fear until Curtis came up with a scheme that drops him into coverage. Yes we’d all like to think that WR’s should catch every pass, QB’s will throw a perfect pass every time, RB’s will breaks big run every carry but they don’t. That’s why you have coaches to train them to be consistent. The good coaches will succeed in that and you’ll take it for granted. The bad coaches like ours will fail in that regard.
greenie78
Riptide

Will Hall has been a definitive upgrade. Our offensive metrics have improved across the board since he’s taken over. The biggest reason why the team hasn’t improved is the decline on defense.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Would be interested in the opinion of former Tulane players. We have made marked improvements in our recruiting the last couple years but that hasn't translated into improved performance. Why is that? Of course QB play is an exception to this (Pratt), but even Curtis Johnson recruited Ed Reed and Marshall Faulk.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:34 am Would be interested in the opinion of former Tulane players. We have made marked improvements in our recruiting the last couple years but that hasn't translated into improved performance. Why is that? Of course QB play is an exception to this (Pratt), but even Curtis Johnson recruited Ed Reed and Marshall Faulk.
Not to Tulane he didn't.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Hornetswave
Low Tide

ugh Curtis Johnson
Ruski
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:34 am Would be interested in the opinion of former Tulane players. We have made marked improvements in our recruiting the last couple years but that hasn't translated into improved performance. Why is that? Of course QB play is an exception to this (Pratt), but even Curtis Johnson recruited Ed Reed and Marshall Faulk.
I would disagree about the lack of improved performance. We've had some ugly losses like Navy, SMU, Houston....but those were ugly in that we were in the drivers seat and should've won. I've been a fan since 2010 and I can tell you until the last couple years.....I was used to blowout losses to such teams and ESPN Not Top 10 miscues to lose to really bad teams.

I criticise WF plenty that he can't manage to get over that last 10% and build an 8-10 win team, but it's obvious that we're getting close. We were never that close under Bob or Curtis. Under WF we've had the pieces, we just can't seem to time it all right (Offense/Defense).

To be honest, I'm way and above happy with WF when I remember the first half of the 2010s. But at the same time I've seen enough to feel that we'll never win the conference. Kind of content but apathetic feeling, it's weird.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

So far so good on operation Win Out. Army should be our first W against a ranked opponent (coaches poll). We are playing our best ball of the season and Pratt continues to the lead the way. Memphis continues to look very beatable
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:34 pm With the freeby season this year, and on the bold presumption that we have a new DC next year, Sample and Johnson would be smart to stay at Tulane another year. They don't appear to be NFL ready at this point. On the other hand, if Curtis is still here, what's the point.
If Curtis is still at Tulane next year, Sample and Johnson need to get the hell outta dodge and transfer
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
gbgreenie
Surge

Curtis will be back, have to live with it.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think there is a very good chance Curtis is fired.
Wave QB
Swell

Ruski wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:34 am
I would disagree about the lack of improved performance. We've had some ugly losses like Navy, SMU, Houston....but those were ugly in that we were in the drivers seat and should've won. I've been a fan since 2010 and I can tell you until the last couple years.....I was used to blowout losses to such teams and ESPN Not Top 10 miscues to lose to really bad teams.

I criticise WF plenty that he can't manage to get over that last 10% and build an 8-10 win team, but it's obvious that we're getting close. We were never that close under Bob or Curtis. Under WF we've had the pieces, we just can't seem to time it all right (Offense/Defense).

To be honest, I'm way and above happy with WF when I remember the first half of the 2010s. But at the same time I've seen enough to feel that we'll never win the conference. Kind of content but apathetic feeling, it's weird.
At 6-2 and asked to make preparations to host the 2013 C-USA Championship Game, I would disagree that CJ was never close. As much as he pissed me off for being scared to fire people, he was very close before he put his faith and job in Price. Those dreadful losses to USA, Rice, UTSA and The NOLA Bowl stop beast like Ryan Grant, Orleans Darkwa and Julius Warmsley from having a 10 win season. That team had some serious talent. Ugh! Still disappointed!!!

I don’t believe that it’s impossible for us to win a conference championship in this era of college football. We can definitely find a year to pull it off. However, I just don’t see us winning the title consecutive years due to our culture at Tulane. It’s great to have high expectations, but it’s a different game at a great academic institution that is not as serious about championships athletics as other colleges and universities might be.

I truly want more out of our program, but not enough people associated with Tulane Football do! For now, I will just agree that we are indeed in a better place than we have been for years. Fritz can definitely keep us in the 6-8 win column unlike the many coaches we have seen at Tulane. However, I just don’t see him having a bunch of 9-11 winning seasons after 5 years of scrapping for 6 wins.
Wave QB
Swell

Oh yeah, can we win out? I think so, but my confidence meter is reading 75% right now. Our history at Tulsa and Memphis doesn’t help. I am very concerned about Army as well. Yes the beat 3 FCS teams, but they have a good defense and are still a 6-1 team with confidence in their program winning 9 games this year.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

I am not satisfied with where we are , can’t see Fritz ever getting us beyond 6-5 and never a championship. We will beat Army, then lose to Tulsa and Memphis, finish 5-6, and wonder what might have been if coaches had played Pratt from game one. At worst, we would be playing a low level bowl.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

If Fritz can get us to 6-8 wins a year that would beat 95% of our coaches over the last hundred years.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We are getting to 6 wins this year, book it
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave Fan wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:23 pm If Fritz can get us to 6-8 wins a year that would beat 95% of our coaches over the last hundred years.
Low bar syndrome. Also for a lot of that 100 years teams played a lot less than 13 games. We had coaches back then that would have won 9-10 on a regular basis if they had that many opportunities every year. Not so much the last 50.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:47 am
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:34 pm With the freeby season this year, and on the bold presumption that we have a new DC next year, Sample and Johnson would be smart to stay at Tulane another year. They don't appear to be NFL ready at this point. On the other hand, if Curtis is still here, what's the point.
If Curtis is still at Tulane next year, Sample and Johnson need to get the hell outta dodge and transfer
Exactly. There is no point in Johnson and Sample staying if Curtis is still here, as they will only continue to regress. So if Curtis is still here, they'll take their chances in the NFL. On the other hand, if Curtis is replaced, they would be well advised to hang around another year because they just aren't NFL ready--thanks to Curtis.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:23 pm
Wave Fan wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:23 pm If Fritz can get us to 6-8 wins a year that would beat 95% of our coaches over the last hundred years.
Low bar syndrome. Also for a lot of that 100 years teams played a lot less than 13 games. We had coaches back then that would have won 9-10 on a regular basis if they had that many opportunities every year. Not so much the last 50.
Don’t overrated our traditionally losing past! We haven’t had many coaches who would have won 9-10 damn games if they played less than 13 games. A few, but not many.
Ball Sumrall!