Tell me why we extended Fritz again?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Fifth Quarter Tulane
Ripple

Because we beat a declining Southern Miss in a bowl game and came from behind to beat a 2-10 Sun Belt team?

There’s no reason after 5 years we should still be getting the brakes beaten off us in the American Conference. Horrible effort from the coaches and players... if they don’t give a damn why should I?

winwave
Top of the WAVE

See the Fire Fritz thread.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
1989alum
Low Tide

The rest of the AAC has lapped us. And you can't say its bigger, public schools when SMU has double lapped us and they are also private, similar size, similar endowment, etc...firewillie.com
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulane has improved, but so has everyone else to the point where 2020 Tulane appears to be one of the worst 4 teams in the entire 11 team conference.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Cuz Dannen is our AD.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Fifth Quarter Tulane
Ripple

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:03 pm Tulane has improved, but so has everyone else to the point where 2020 Tulane appears to be one of the worst 4 teams in the entire 11 team conference.
I don’t see how Tulane has improved. Maybe on offense, but the defense is so bad it doesn’t matter
Sunamiwave
High Tide

We extended Fritz because our genius AD bought the hype when Fritz was interviewing with Arkansas and Missouri after last season. These schools were giving Fritz courtesy interviews and knew they would never offer him the job as he is not SEC caliber head coaching material. Fritz has a really good agent who leaked his interviews to the news media making it sound like he was under serious consideration when nothing could have been further from the truth. Troy Dannen bought it hook, line, and sinker. Most people knew Fritz’s agent was using these courtesy interviews to get a long term extension from Tulane and nothing more. Our AD really screwed up on this just like he did with that ridiculously long contract he gave Mike Dunleavy.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:03 pm Tulane has improved, but so has everyone else to the point where 2020 Tulane appears to be one of the worst 4 teams in the entire 11 team conference.
We’re easily in the bottom 4 this year.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:19 pm We extended Fritz because our genius AD bought the hype when Fritz was interviewing with Arkansas and Missouri after last season. These schools were giving Fritz courtesy interviews and knew they would never offer him the job as he is not SEC caliber head coaching material. Fritz has a really good agent who leaked his interviews to the news media making it sound like he was under serious consideration when nothing could have been further from the truth. Troy Dannen bought it hook, line, and sinker. Most people knew Fritz’s agent was using these courtesy interviews to get a long term extension from Tulane and nothing more. Our AD really screwed up on this just like he did with that ridiculously long contract he gave Mike Dunleavy.
Spot on Sunami, spot on.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

we are now the "Temple' of Big East infamy...the eviction notice is in the mail
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

Unfortunately, there’s not enough people left who give a damn about Tulane football. Tulane doesn’t deserve the AAC. I wouldn’t have a problem getting the boot.
anEngineer
Riptide

To say this program has not improved over CJ, Toledo, Scelfo, ... is ridiculous. Those teams would be getting beat by 30 every week in this conference. Is it where it should be? Probably not, but let's not be absurd.
Wave755
Tsunami

🤔But, a little less than a year ago wasn’t everyone’s “panties in a bunch” because Fritz was secretly interviewing with Arkansas (which probably didn’t even happen anyway)?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:25 pm To say this program has not improved over CJ, Toledo, Scelfo, ... is ridiculous. Those teams would be getting beat by 30 every week in this conference. Is it where it should be? Probably not, but let's not be absurd.
A loss is a loss. If you want to say we’ve improved because we continually lose by not as many points as we used to, go right ahead.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
torbida
Surge

The losing gets old 97 98 showed what Tulane could be but it was pissed away by incompetence.I want a football team that can win and compete for a conference championship and baseball and basketball (men and womens) also.Winning creates more support fan and donation wise.Not difficult.
TURVS71
Swell

So, what do you do if Willie Fritz goes winless in conference ..which is a strong possibility???
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You fire him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:19 pm We extended Fritz because our genius AD bought the hype when Fritz was interviewing with Arkansas and Missouri after last season. These schools were giving Fritz courtesy interviews and knew they would never offer him the job as he is not SEC caliber head coaching material. Fritz has a really good agent who leaked his interviews to the news media making it sound like he was under serious consideration when nothing could have been further from the truth. Troy Dannen bought it hook, line, and sinker. Most people knew Fritz’s agent was using these courtesy interviews to get a long term extension from Tulane and nothing more. Our AD really screwed up on this just like he did with that ridiculously long contract he gave Mike Dunleavy.
I think this pretty much nails it! Dannen got taken good to our detriment.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bigschtick
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:25 pm To say this program has not improved over CJ, Toledo, Scelfo, ... is ridiculous. Those teams would be getting beat by 30 every week in this conference. Is it where it should be? Probably not, but let's not be absurd.
Probably Not??????
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:18 pm So, what do you do if Willie Fritz goes winless in conference ..which is a strong possibility???
He’d be fired at UCF, UH, Memphis, SMU and USF but won’t be here.
Jaxwave
Swell

You can't fire him this year and we all know it. The question I have for everybody is who would take this job that's sure thing to be better. We've seen really bad coaches cycle thru this athletic program the last 20 years. I'm not confident Tulane can attract a better coach and we know the money restrictions that will prevent Tulane from buying Fritz out and or paying two coaches. History tells us it's at least three more years with Fritz. I think there is a better chance of winning by keeping him and getting better assistants than starting all over, just my two cents.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We won’t fire him after this season, even if we lose out the rest of the schedule. But he might take a 2 or 3 year severance package—he looks and acts completely worn out. But will Dannen try to talk him into “taking a package”? Speaking of packages, what would it take to get Dannen to move on?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:25 am
I think this pretty much nails it! Dannen got taken good to our detriment.
Dannen came from the cornfields to the Big Easy and got flim flammed—at least twice.