The Defense

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Fifth Quarter Tulane wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:55 pm "Even Curtis Johnson qualified for a bowl game while he was here. "
Don't even go there with this. CJ went 7-5 against a schedule that would make a MAC program ashamed. He should have been AT LEAST 9-3 or 10-2 with that schedule. The only thing I can equate that season to was when Vince Gibson took over from Larry Smith and went 7-4 with a team that should have been 9-2, against a much, much tougher schedule. Both of those coaching jobs were fiascos compared to anything Fritz has done in his five years here.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
MicMan
Swell

That 1980 team was loaded with talent, and led at halftime of every game, I recall. The opening loss to Southern Miss was bad, but the others were to ranked Stanford and John Elway; ranked Dickerjames SMU, and to LSU on the road in a rainstorm. On the other hand, two wins came on last-second FGs, including a true miracle against Kentucky going the length of the field with no time left on two pass interference penalties.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 am
winwave wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:53 am Not living up to its billing:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 6b44d.html
I love Willie's insightful quotes like, "we need to play better" or "we need to play all four quarters" or "we didn't get enough pressure on them up front". He's the master of the obvious and is very good at telling us what we already know we saw. Any chance he might dive a little deeper and explore why we "aren't playing better" or "why we can't play a full game", or "why we aren't getting more pressure up front"?
Great points and questions that need to be asked
Eaglewave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:10 pm
Fifth Quarter Tulane wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:55 pm "Even Curtis Johnson qualified for a bowl game while he was here. "
Don't even go there with this. CJ went 7-5 against a schedule that would make a MAC program ashamed. He should have been AT LEAST 9-3 or 10-2 with that schedule. The only thing I can equate that season to was when Vince Gibson took over from Larry Smith and went 7-4 with a team that should have been 9-2, against a much, much tougher schedule. Both of those coaching jobs were fiascos compared to anything Fritz has done in his five years here.
I picked CJ to go 9-3 that year. I The losses to UTSA, FAU and USA really ruined my prediction.

I am very disappointed that we’re aren’t 3-1 right now, but I know that Fritz won’t stay down for long.
Ball Sumrall!