Troy Dannen You're Fired

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

How low can you set the bar? Giving an extension that last 7 years based on what little had been done here. You need to get over you're little man complex. You're not the smartest guy in the room. We are watching. You can surround yourself with the few major donors we have and believe them that any win is an accomplishment BUT IT'S NOT. We want to win meaningful games. We haven't. Trying to claim we made history by winning two nobody gives a flying fuck bowls doesn't trick us. You want to make history win a Rose Bowl.

You have failed as a fundraiser miserably. We needed that football ops. building desperately. Instead we get a renovation of our HS weight room. What a pathetic joke.

Go shuck corn because you can't direct a major D-1 athletics program.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

You seem upset. On what basis does Troy Dannen have a little man complex?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I will say it seems like Troy isn’t the greatest fundraiser
Bigschtick
Riptide

or perhaps the greatest A.D. for giving Fritz a 7 year extension for just being here!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:40 am How low can you set the bar? Giving an extension that last 7 years based on what little had been done here. You need to get over you're little man complex. You're not the smartest guy in the room. We are watching. You can surround yourself with the few major donors we have and believe them that any win is an accomplishment BUT IT'S NOT. We want to win meaningful games. We haven't. Trying to claim we made history by winning two nobody gives a flying fuck bowls doesn't trick us. You want to make history win a Rose Bowl.

You have failed as a fundraiser miserably. We needed that football ops. building desperately. Instead we get a renovation of our HS weight room. What a pathetic joke.

Go shuck corn because you can't direct a major D-1 athletics program.
Great analysis. I’d just like to remind people of his Mike Dunleavy basketball extension to your reason for termination.
greenie78
Riptide

Dunleavy, Jewett, giving Fritz a 7 year extension for being 7-6 twice.
Jaxwave
Swell

This thread and the Fritz thread are ridiculous. Every point made may be completely accurate but I have one question, based on history isn’t it way more probable that Tulane itself is the issue rather than Fritz and Dannen? When the history of Tulane athletics has been overwhelmingly bad, maybe just maybe, there is an institutional problem at work here? Rather than trashing guys who had pretty good results at the places they were at before Tulane, why don’t we all calm down and either help with major contributions or do what I have done which is just accept that this is probably what we’re looking at ad infinitum. I can tell tell you that the stress is way less that way.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:26 pm or do what I have done which is just accept that this is probably what we’re looking at ad infinitum. I can tell tell you that the stress is way less that way.
Me and Jaxwave are on the same page here. I’m done getting worked up over it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Except for the fact that both of you appear in threads complaining about the coaching in various sports. You're kidding yourselves if you think you no longer get worked up over it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I can complain without being worked up. I’ve gotten worked up about the baseball program recently but I can honestly say that my level of care is not anywhere close to what it used to be for all sports.

I came to the realization that we’re probably not going to have any real sustained success.
Jaxwave
Swell

I love analyzing games and coaches’ moves for all sports, I admit it. I also watch Tulane games whenever I can but I can tell you that I no longer allow myself to get worked up over them. I texted two buddies who graduated with me in 1974 and we all pretty much agreed after Houston scored to make it 24-14 that it was obvious Houston was the better team by far. They turned it off and I watched to see how Pratt would do. The fact that Tulane had the lead halfway thru the 3rd quarter while being so out talented was a surprise to me.
I get completely crazy over Saints games and their players and coaches’ performances because they actually have the talent to be good.
Tulane does not and I find it useless to continue to blame the coaches until such time as I see their work ethic fall off like we saw with Toledo for instance. I don’t think for an instant that Fritz has retired on the job...yet. But there have been a number of cases where guys came in with big plans then realized the mountain was too high to climb and just about gave up as they saw the challenges to recruit at Tulane. We shall see what the future brings for Fritz but up to now I don’t see any indication that that is the case.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TD & Family ain't goin' nowhere...they are livin' large in ole Metry and enjoyin' Sal's SnoBalls
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:45 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:26 pm or do what I have done which is just accept that this is probably what we’re looking at ad infinitum. I can tell tell you that the stress is way less that way.
Me and Jaxwave are on the same page here. I’m done getting worked up over it.
I hope to get to that same mental state at some point. But for now, I still am cursed with hope!!
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I think Dannen has been seduced by the Tulane world of mediocrity. He’s totally bought into it.
wave97
Swell

You guys know that football is a dead man walking. Participation in football nationally has dropped off to such an extent that whole conferences are incapable of recruiting sufficient talent from within their States/region. My high school football team used to field 130 players in the 60's, 70's & 80's. There aren't enough kids showing up to play football for the team to practice against itself.
Football is a violent game & efforts to mitigate & regulate the violence is pure folly. Does a boxing referee take points away for targeting the head? No, of course not, but when was the last time there was an American heavy weight champion?
We contributed to our current situation:
Dr Rix Yard was the AD that pulled us out of the SEC. We hired him from the University of Pennsylvania (the ivy league).
At the time, his justification for going independent was flexibility in scheduling and "not having to share your television & bowl revenues with the conference". Oh, the irony👍 He was not alone with his reasoning Georgia Tech & South Carolina left their conferences as well. To be an independent in 1966 meant you kept your money from whatever game/bowl the ncaa decided to televise. We could have been the Vanderbilt of the SEC West
The P5 "big money" club coalesced during the late 80's to mid 90's and if you think that the enforcement of TitleI IX didn't effect the decision to restrict television money to certain conferences I want two of what you are smoking.
MicMan
Swell

Tulane can't pretend to be Stanford, or Notre Dame, or Michigan. The donor base is to small.
Dave breslin
Swell

Jax wave hit the real point. Tulane is what it is. Don’t get intestinal cramps watching. We will have some “good” seasons😁 but we won’t be a Miami until Gibson Hall says so. And that’s not going to happen. But, playing like pure crap isn’t acceptable. Maybe if our Prez wrote a book on excellence in sports and get an AD that pisses off the fan base, maybe that would make us a consistent winner.
anEngineer
Riptide

Troy Dannen has made Tulane athletics better than it has been for a long time. I think they have the right basketball coach. Jewett seems to have figured it out.. Fritz has his faults but the talent level has increased every year. We're still not equal to Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, or UCF, but we are equal or better than the rest. That's an accomplishment considering where we were. This ain't CUSA! Can we ever equal them? Maybe, maybe not. It would take a few more years of growth and Fritz's teams always have a chance to win. That hasn't happened since Bowden.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think, like most things, the truth is in the middle somewhere. I have also been trying (unsuccessfully) to minimize my emotional investment in the game (football).

I do wonder what kids think on campus now adays. I feel like they are actually (SLOWLY) coming around, and by that I meant they think we are a mediocre team. That’s step one (no longer being a joke), pride in your team comes next.
localvb
High Tide

Dannen has put the athletic department in much better position. Top to bottom imo.
Football is rebuilding this year.
They will continue to move up next year.
And of course he hired the best VB coach in the AAC:))
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Football has clearly regressed. As to Barnes it's time for a no excuse year from him.
Eaglewave
Swell

We have been to two consecutive Bowl Games and won both of them. Our football program is in a better place right now. Even with a 2-2 record during the wacky COVID-19 season, we are in a better place. The season is not over, and Fritz is a proven winner. Yes, the Navy game should have been a win, but shitty days happen. Fritz is the best thing that has happened to our sidelines since Bowden. Troy wants winning football and basketball at Tulane. He is confident that Fritz will get rid of his coaches who aren’t cutting it.

After two consecutive bowl appearances, we can’t hit the panic button just yet.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

localvb wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:59 pm Dannen has put the athletic department in much better position. Top to bottom imo.
Football is rebuilding this year.
They will continue to move up next year.
And of course he hired the best VB coach in the AAC:))
Agreed
Ball Sumrall!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:20 am We have been to two consecutive Bowl Games and won both of them. Our football program is in a better place right now. Even with a 2-2 record during the wacky COVID-19 season, we are in a better place. The season is not over, and Fritz is a proven winner. Yes, the Navy game should have been a win, but shitty days happen. Fritz is the best thing that has happened to our sidelines since Bowden. Troy wants winning football and basketball at Tulane. He is confident that Fritz will get rid of his coaches who aren’t cutting it.

But the team is hitting the “L” button with increasing regularity. Based on our play thus far, we’re starring a 2-5 start in the eyes.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:20 am We have been to two consecutive Bowl Games and won both of them. Our football program is in a better place right now. Even with a 2-2 record during the wacky COVID-19 season, we are in a better place. The season is not over, and Fritz is a proven winner. Yes, the Navy game should have been a win, but shitty days happen. Fritz is the best thing that has happened to our sidelines since Bowden. Troy wants winning football and basketball at Tulane. He is confident that Fritz will get rid of his coaches who aren’t cutting it.

I agree with most of what you say, but I'm sorry two victories in the nobodycares.com bowls is nothing to celebrate. For the vast majority of years Tulane has played football, those teams would not have gone to a bowl game. We've had better teams than 2018 and 2019 that didn't dream of going to a bowl game. It's only in the recent past that more than half of FBS teams go to a bowl. Seriously, we have to stop whistling past the graveyard singing Beautiful Day because we won two BS bowl games.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V