Wilson Center 30 Year Anniversary

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:33 pm
30 years old we need to get something new sometime soon to catch up with many of our peers.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Agreed. Nothing against Mr. Wilson, but those are 30 years most would prefer to forget. Let’s make it right to Mr Wilson (and our fans and athletes ) the second time around with a new facility and 30 years of glory.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

compared to the Monk Simmons building, the Wilson Center is "The Ritz "..but most of our younger posters never saw the monk simons complex, well it was not all that "complex".....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

The planning for the Wilson Center was done when Mack Brown was AD/Football Coach. He intended it to be a football only facility. He went to North Carolina as construction was beginning. When Chet Gladchuck became the AD in the spring of 1988 he halted construction so changes could be made to the design so the Wilson Center would house the entire athletic department. It was built in two sections, the larger footprint, two story section was completed first, then the three story section was built a year later.
wave97
Swell

I liked the Monk Simmons building & the Favrot Fieldhouse. Favrot was a proto IPF before there were IPF's. But you've gotta have bling today! Unfortunately shoe horning in a marginally sub-par facility is actually worse.
Erk Russell where are you!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:46 am I liked the Monk Simmons building & the Favrot Fieldhouse. Favrot was a proto IPF before there were IPF's. But you've gotta have bling today! Unfortunately shoe horning in a marginally sub-par facility is actually worse.
I begged for Favrot to be turned into an indoor facility...and for the Simmons building to be used for Basketball, Volleyball and Baseball offices only....oh well, krap happens
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

The weight room was fantastic. We had Saints players showing up to work out.
Our strength & conditioning coach was hired from Clemson. He was well versed in every aspect of strength conditioning.
He came directly from the Jay "Doc" Kreis tree.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 am
wave97 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:46 am I liked the Monk Simmons building & the Favrot Fieldhouse. Favrot was a proto IPF before there were IPF's. But you've gotta have bling today! Unfortunately shoe horning in a marginally sub-par facility is actually worse.
I begged for Favrot to be turned into an indoor facility...and for the Simmons building to be used for Basketball, Volleyball and Baseball offices only....oh well, krap happens
I loved Favrot. While attending Tulane in the late 70’s early 80’s I worked part-time there for Ben Abadie and Dr. Harvey Jessup supporting PE classes to help pay my tuition. I remember playing basketball there almost everyday. While playing on the baseball team on rainy days we’d take infield in there to avoid the bad weather. They also had a few racquet ball courts in there. A sad day for me when they tore it down.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

My how time flies. I played many basketball games in Favrot as an undergrad, and can't believe it was 30 years ago that the Wilson Center opened. I was bummed when I was denied entrance on the day they opened Yulman, as I had never really checked it out. If someone has access to it, please post a video tour of the facility.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V