Play the Freshman Quarterbacks!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aegis
High Tide

You either eat with the dogs or piss with the puppies. Make the change now.

nawlinspete
Riptide

HOWARD must never play a live down again .

On second thought we do not need him for practices or scrimmages either with our having two freshmen QBs .

This is a season where playing will not use up eligibility . There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to waste practice , scrimmage or playing time with someone who IS NOT THE ANSWER .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

here's a thought...Play the best player...no matter what year he is .....damn, ya started two freshman OL
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

By starting Howard against USM, the rubber is going to meet the road real early. USM will stack the box from the first snap, it won't take them a half, like it did Navy, to figure out that Howard can't pass. So I suspect by the end of the 1Q we'll see a QB change--just too bad we have to waste a quarter to relearn what we already know.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
swampnik
Surge

Play the old CJ version of a different QB per series if the QB does not get a drive that yields 3 or 6, or 7 points.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

swampnik wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:05 am Play the old CJ version of a different QB per series if the QB does not get a drive that yields 3 or 6, or 7 points.
What happens if it yields -2 points (again) ? I think that correlates to me throwing up in the corner
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Howard is lighting it up with a completion percentage of about .440...he was 1 of 8 in the 2nd half of the Navy game..some of the passes were not even in the same zip code as the receiver...so I can understand, why WF does not trust a freshman !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:04 pm Howard is lighting it up with a completion percentage of about .440...he was 1 of 8 in the 2nd half of the Navy game..some of the passes were not even in the same zip code as the receiver...so I can understand, why WF does not trust a freshman !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Fantastic Golf, just fantastic.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
swampnik
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:00 pm
swampnik wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:05 am Play the old CJ version of a different QB per series if the QB does not get a drive that yields 3 or 6, or 7 points.
What happens if it yields -2 points (again) ? I think that correlates to me throwing up in the corner
That still counts as points. Fritz would give him another series no doubt.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
TXWave88
Surge

I will say that USM should load the box regardless who we trot out there at QB. I would not respect some freshman QB especially when we should be running the ball the majority of the game. I would make any Tulane QB beat me vs give the running game space/momentum. In other words, if USM doesn't load the box at first, then they all need to be fired along with their HC earlier this year.
gbgreenie
Surge

When a team stacks the box its easy to beat them. Play action, pass over the middle open to the tight ends, screen passes, Quick outs routes. Not throwing down field. Misdirection plays, Trick plays Hall, half back pass, Tip Tip!!! Every defense has a weakness, exploit the weakness if you are so smart Hall live up to you reputation!!!
gbgreenie
Surge

When a team stacks the box its easy to beat them. Play action, pass over the middle open to the tight ends, screen passes, Quick outs routes. Not throwing down field. Misdirection plays, Trick plays Hall, half back pass, Tip Tip!!! Every defense has a weakness, exploit the weakness if you are so smart Hall live up to you reputation!!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

#hiregbgreenie
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I WANT TO SEE PRATT!

I'm yelling so maybe Fritz/Hall will hear.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
swampnik
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:03 am I WANT TO SEE PRATT!

I'm yelling so maybe Fritz/Hall will hear.
+1. Though Hall said he was "giddy" over Ibieta (and not cause he was a three sport lettermen)
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Pratt was more coveted out of HS. He transferred, as many of us know, before his Senior year of HS. He left Boca Raton HS to go to Deerfield Beach HS to compete with USM recruit Derohn King whom he beat out. He played at a higher level than Ibieta, and was here (for whatever it was worth) getting acclimated for the half of spring semester. I know the decision has been made, but I'd really like to see this guy take reps in a live game.

Howard should be phased out as this season goes along. I was hoping his floor was McM's ceiling. It's far from it and may be below Banks' ceiling. Keyes cannot get here soon enough, so let's see what we have with Pratt and Ibieta.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:44 pm I say give backup equal reps all week in practice. Start Howard. First bad pass on a failed drive, give backup next series.
That being said, Hall needs to start using Howard’s legs if he’s going to play. Get him out of pocket on passes, tell him to take off early if no one open, give him QB draws and sweeps, encourage him to keep on some read options. Give the kid a better chance by calling plays that suit him. He will not succeed as a pocket passer.
Definitely this. Heck the first two years we were begging Fritz to open things up, because we were running too many QB keepers and draws. Now we don't run them often enough.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:29 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:04 pm Howard is lighting it up with a completion percentage of about .440...he was 1 of 8 in the 2nd half of the Navy game..some of the passes were not even in the same zip code as the receiver...so I can understand, why WF does not trust a freshman !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Fantastic Golf, just fantastic.
and Jett Duffey was suppose to be the starting QB.....we will never know, or is it, "no" U can't come here
IM42lane
Swell

Why don't most of you critics out here use my 3-game rule? Don't pass judgment on the current football season until Tulane plays 3 games. Chances are that Tulane would have played one good game, one bad game, and one "in between" (good and bad) game. If the record is 0-3, then you can complain for changes as much as you want. If the record is 1-2, maybe a near .500 season (4-8, 5-7) could be achieved, but not much more than that. If the record is 2-1 or 3-0, then expect a OK/good season.

It is obvious to me that the QB is a problem at this point. Maybe he will feel inspired to play well (passing the ball) versus USM, who knows.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
gbgreenie
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 am
Jaxwave wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:44 pm I say give backup equal reps all week in practice. Start Howard. First bad pass on a failed drive, give backup next series.
That being said, Hall needs to start using Howard’s legs if he’s going to play. Get him out of pocket on passes, tell him to take off early if no one open, give him QB draws and sweeps, encourage him to keep on some read options. Give the kid a better chance by calling plays that suit him. He will not succeed as a pocket passer.
Definitely this. Heck the first two years we were begging Fritz to open things up, because we were running too many QB keepers and draws. Now we don't run them often enough.
Problem Howard has is the same as McMillian, when they move and don't set their feet they are wild. Very few quarterbacks can throw accurately on the run. Howard does not look like one. That is on Hall to tell Howard to set before delivering the ball, if he can't set get what he can on the run. Where is Brees, he helped coach Ryan Griffin when he was Quarterback at Tulane. With Gayle Benson on the Board I am sure during the off season she could have Brees work with Pratt and Ibieta, Bree knows the importance of setting your feet before throwing. I believe that speaks most about why the Waves Quarterbacks are not accurate, their offense has the quarterbacks in movement on the option, not allowing them to set and throw like Pro style passers. Hall is responsible to coach footwork and setting before throwing. He does not that is why I say Hall is too much over rated as a coach, if he can't see footwork is important to delivering good accurate passes.

The night Brees went 29 for 30, he harped on the setting his feet for the one incomplete pass. Until the Wave works on and allows Quarterbacks to set and throw under Hall and Fritz we will get the same inaccurate passing game!!!
But Brees was frustrated he missed the 30-for-30 mark.

"I’ll be honest with you — you always think about the one that you missed," Brees said on ESPN. "If I just set my darn feet and throw it to the running back, it’s 30-for-30, so that one may haunt me for a little while."

Brees has competition for the touchdown record. New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has 538 career passing TDs.
Profoundwizard
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:07 am
RobertM320 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 am
Problem Howard has is the same as McMillian, when they move and don't set their feet they are wild. Very few quarterbacks can throw accurately on the run. Howard does not look like one. That is on Hall to tell Howard to set before delivering the ball, if he can't set get what he can on the run. Where is Brees, he helped coach Ryan Griffin when he was Quarterback at Tulane. With Gayle Benson on the Board I am sure during the off season she could have Brees work with Pratt and Ibieta, Bree knows the importance of setting your feet before throwing. I believe that speaks most about why the Waves Quarterbacks are not accurate, their offense has the quarterbacks in movement on the option, not allowing them to set and throw like Pro style passers. Hall is responsible to coach footwork and setting before throwing. He does not that is why I say Hall is too much over rated as a coach, if he can't see footwork is important to delivering good accurate passes.

The night Brees went 29 for 30, he harped on the setting his feet for the one incomplete pass. Until the Wave works on and allows Quarterbacks to set and throw under Hall and Fritz we will get the same inaccurate passing game!!!
But Brees was frustrated he missed the 30-for-30 mark.

"I’ll be honest with you — you always think about the one that you missed," Brees said on ESPN. "If I just set my darn feet and throw it to the running back, it’s 30-for-30, so that one may haunt me for a little while."

Brees has competition for the touchdown record. New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has 538 career passing TDs.
Brees has more important stuff going on, if our coaches can’t teach him to play QB we need to find coaches that can.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Umm, doesn't Tom Brady play for the Tampa Bay Bucs? Pocket passing is not going to solve anything. That's not the problem. gbg, you tried that argument earlier in the week, and it didn't fly then either.
Ruski
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:32 pm No way I can believe that Pratt and/or Ibieta can be as bad as Howard. There is zero downside to playing both Pratt and Ibieta. In fact, given that everyone gets a free year, it would now be travesty to not give Pratt and Ibieta all the game reps possible.
This. Now with all the FBS teams returning to play we’re gonna get the same mediocre bowl as always. Time to start grooming the freshman for a huge season next year!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

6 wins might not get a bowl game this year. I don't know how many will be played if there's no fans allowed, or 25-50% capacity. Or if we're playing football by the time it's bowl season.

But I agree. This is a year to get everyone experience. This team with this QB has ZERO chance at going to the AAC championship game.
Ruski
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:58 pm If you must give Howard reps, fine have him split this week and alternate with the young QBs during USM. Then we have a Bye, and after the Bye I never want to see Keon Again.

Once again I must ask: how did we miss out on Tyrell Pigrome to WKU and even Trey Lowe to USM. Both Grad transfer and were desperately needed and both programs that we should be beating for recruits. Look we all said we would go as far as Keon took us. Unfortunately, we discovered he could take us a shockingly short distance.
Pigrome had Tulane as a top candidate out of high school. He was once single handily beating Texas. And he can do this....we should’ve gone all in.