USM Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

USM played better last night but lost on a last second play. It'll be a battle of former USM QB Howard versus former Tulane commit Abraham who Fritz rejected. USM will be out for revenge for the Bowl game butt whipping. Will the Wave be up to the task?

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Oklahoma State went to a true freshman yesterday as their third QB of the day to beat Tulsa. Pratt did get robbed of 10 spring practices but he got 5 in and got all of those meetings in before that. It can be done. You have to think Howard starts at USM but if he doesn't show marked improvement early a change needs to be made.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Smythe
Ripple

USM looked good for all the turmoil they have gone through. Their 30 year old head coach had them fired up and ready to play. The failed two point conversion after their first touchdown was his big mistake. USM will spread Tulane's defense out and attack our secondary. That will open up the run for them. Tulane's offense should be able to run on them. Now, if we could just throw the ball better........
oliveandblue
Surge

This is the pivotal game of the season. Need to win here - and it's possible considering the scores of common opponents.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:33 am This is the pivotal game of the season. Need to win here - and it's possible considering the scores of common opponents.
but USM is playing the uncommon opponent, one who does not know how to get out of it's f#@king way......and therefore will win by 14....the Navy game was an eye opener for all Tulane fans, who thought we had turned a corner, only to find out we hit a brick wall...Tulane will finish 3-8 and Fritz will be given another extension....not sure where they will find another 2 W's
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave QB
Swell

Smythe wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:16 am USM looked good for all the turmoil they have gone through. Their 30 year old head coach had them fired up and ready to play. The failed two point conversion after their first touchdown was his big mistake. USM will spread Tulane's defense out and attack our secondary. That will open up the run for them. Tulane's offense should be able to run on them. Now, if we could just throw the ball better........
USM looked like a decent FCS program that almost knocked off a COVID sidelined C-USA program yesterday. They didn’t look good by any means. However, the USM that I saw yesterday wouldn’t have lost to USA, and would beat us. While I believe that the season is officially over, this is another must win game.

I am picking USM to beat us. We are back to being concern about the play of our QB every snap.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:04 pm Will collapse cost him his job:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 38e71.html
I think Fritz's comments are total bs. If they were actually considering whether to pull Howard, why did they keep passing throughout the 2H? And why did they go for it on two 4th down plays with passes. It just doesn't add up.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Will he finish is the real question. Hopefully he will because that will mean he rebounded and we win the game. We'll see.
gbgreenie
Surge

That's the question will he finish, why give Southern Miss an edge, let them prepare their defense for Howard, then put Pratt or Ibieta in later in the game. Planning for two different quarterbacks puts more pressure on Southern Miss defensive coaches.
oliveandblue
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:38 pm That's the question will he finish, why give Southern Miss an edge, let them prepare their defense for Howard, then put Pratt or Ibieta in later in the game. Planning for two different quarterbacks puts more pressure on Southern Miss defensive coaches.
At this point, I want to see this program nut up and survive the USM game by 10-14 points. They have a talent advantage AND the other team does not have the coaching advantage that Navy did.

They can win the season back pretty quickly. 1-1 is not 2-7... ...unless they quit.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Locally the game will be on Channel 337. It is one of the Fox sports stations.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:22 am

I think Fritz's comments are total bs. If they were actually considering whether to pull Howard, why did they keep passing throughout the 2H? And why did they go for it on two 4th down plays with passes. It just doesn't add up.
They ran it on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. They were doing everything that they could to keep it out of his hands.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

in the 2nd half..Tulane did not look good enuff to play in the Gulf States Conference...it folded in 1971
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stat ... ference%20(GSC,disbanded%20after%20the%201947%20season.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:06 pm

They ran it on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. They were doing everything that they could to keep it out of his hands.
They didn't run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd downs on all our 2H series. And why attempt pass plays on two critical 4th downs, that literally probably cost us the game, notwithstanding all the other failures. I haven't seen the stats, but I bet Howard through as many passes in the 2H, as he did the 1H.
nawlinspete
Riptide

My gawd , " threw " not " through . " Are you a Cougar High honor student ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:54 am My gawd , " threw " not " through . " Are you a Cougar High honor student ?
or a "select school" attendee
Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:29 pm

They didn't run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd downs on all our 2H series. And why attempt pass plays on two critical 4th downs, that literally probably cost us the game, notwithstanding all the other failures. I haven't seen the stats, but I bet Howard through as many passes in the 2H, as he did the 1H.
On the 2 possessions that they went for it on 4th, they ran on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. Why did they throw it on a critical 4th down? Because they were selling out to stop the run. Navy was going to force Howard to make a play.

You would lose that bet. Howard threw more than two times as many passes(17) in the first half as he did in the 2nd half(8).
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:38 am

On the 2 possessions that they went for it on 4th, they ran on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. Why did they throw it on a critical 4th down? Because they were selling out to stop the run. Navy was going to force Howard to make a play.

You would lose that bet. Howard threw more than two times as many passes(17) in the first half as he did in the 2nd half(8).
Should have punted on both 4th downs.
Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:24 pm

So we’d just lose in overtime rather than regulation?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:50 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:24 pm

So we’d just lose in overtime rather than regulation?
We'll never know, but pinning Navy deep in their own territory on their last two possessions would have improved our chances of hanging on. Howard threw nearly half as many passes in the 2H in large part because we only ran slight over half as many plays in the 2H than we did in the 1H. The real meltdown occurred during the last 7 minutes of the 3Q to 2 minutes into the 4Q, when Navy scored 24 points--unreal. During that 9 minute disaster, Howard was 1 for 6 passing, and had no clue where the ball was going. He won't make it to halftime against USM.