Tulane Wins 27 - 24 over USA

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Aug , hope you are correct . At this point in time you have a 50% chance of proving the rest of us ignorant !

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
ccap05
Surge

I was at the game with my seven year old son. It may not have been clear on TV, but one reason USA did so well is that their quarterback played an amazing game. He is, to say the least, height challenged but he had an amazing field awareness and ability to pick our defense. It was amusing to watch him because he was the smallest dude on the field, dwarfed by his own line. During plays he would actually jump up to see better downfield and sometimes throw on the jump. Our penetration during the first half was minimal and he wasn't really hit until the second half. After two or three tackles he lost his sharpness and USA quit moving.

Their new stadium is nice and properly sized. It would have been rocking without Covid limitations.

Their concessions suck. No microbrews, the high end beer is Michelob Ultra (whose advertising jingle is "When Natty is just not good enough") and the food selection was bafflingly limited - it was literally less in choice and quality than you might get at a t-ball concession stand).

There were a fair number of Tulane fans in light of how hard it was to get tickets due to Covid restrictions. My guess is that half of our fans were family members. Tulane should consider having cokes and hot dogs for the family after close games to foster the Tulane family feeling. For two hundred bucks Tulane could have made this an epic night for the family members; a gesture that would probably go far in future recruiting.

As a final observation, the first athletic event to be cancelled at USA due to COVID was the Tulane/USA baseball game. It is nice to be back.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

it was ugly, but it was a win..Iowa State, K-State can't say the same thing, after playing SBC teams..Hell Texas Tech stuggled with Houston (Baptist) to win by 3...and it was closer than the score indicated....
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 219b0.html

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... ac912.html

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... f0ec4.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
squilz
Low Tide

Wave755 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:42 pm
squilz wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:17 pm I quit watching around halftime as I was sitting down for dinner. Finished and the masochist in me figured I'd check the score one last time. 1:30 left in the fourth, tulane up 3, we punt and USA gets a personal foul, we kneel out a win. WTF happened?!?!?!?
Midway into the 3rd quarter we finally shut down their passing game, our D-line began to dominate their O-line, Spears & Jones started finding some holes and Howard‘s passing was just good enough to beat this team. :D :) :thumbup:
well, hopefully it's just some first game kinks. On to navy!
squilz
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:21 am it was ugly, but it was a win..Iowa State, K-State can't say the same thing, after playing SBC teams..Hell Texas Tech stuggled with Houston (Baptist) to win by 3...and it was closer than the score indicated....
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 219b0.html

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... ac912.html

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... f0ec4.html
Gotta imagine we'll be seeing a lot of that this year
GreenLantern
Riptide

ccap05 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:52 am I was at the game with my seven year old son. It may not have been clear on TV, but one reason USA did so well is that their quarterback played an amazing game. He is, to say the least, height challenged but he had an amazing field awareness and ability to pick our defense. It was amusing to watch him because he was the smallest dude on the field, dwarfed by his own line. During plays he would actually jump up to see better downfield and sometimes throw on the jump. Our penetration during the first half was minimal and he wasn't really hit until the second half. After two or three tackles he lost his sharpness and USA quit moving.
Good summary. Glad you and your son had a good time.

It was clear that Lovertich is a very good qb albeit very height-challenged. His field awareness was good and his accuracy was dead on....until Johnson and Sample started ringing his bell and then it wasn't.

All things considered, it was a fun but nerve-wracking game. Screw ESPN and their channel hopping. Kudos to USA for a very nice looking stadium and a football team that seems to be in a building mode. Congrats to Howard for making some very good plays at crunch time after a very shaky first half. A salute to a USA offense that played above their talent until the Tulane defense showed that we have bigger and faster Johnsons (I'm talking about Jeffrey and Patrick...what did you think I meant?). Hats off to coach Fritz who rallied a spiritless sideline until they began to believe we could win this game.

And now onto the only week of the year when it's perfectly acceptable to hope that the US navy gets routed and sunk. Roll Wave!
Wave755
Tsunami

The view of the game from USA:
https://www.al.com/usa/2020/09/south-al ... pener.html
As the article points out, the Jaguars rushed for only 13 yards in the second half (78 yards for the game). Hard to win any game with only 13 yards rushing in a half of football.

ESPN box score for game: https://www.espn.com/college-football/b ... =401239973
HoustonWave
Tsunami

A win is a win, and USA is a decent team. But are we going to continue to sleep walk through the first 20 minutes of each game?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
swampnik
Surge

Great comeback win for the Wave! No embarrassment as this Jag team will be very good this year.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Wave QB
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:08 pm That was the baseball equivalent of a blown save. They had us beat and refused to close out.

With that said, old shitty Tulane wouldn't have even rallied to make it close and lost by 35.
Fritz teams definitely fight until the end. I told y’all I had a bad feeling about this game, and now y’all understand.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

AugWave wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:25 am Lot of people in this thread haven’t played football before and it shows.

Good win. No tune up game. One scrimmage TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE GAME. New starting QB. Opponent had a game already. They played a different QB. On the road. Opening a new stadium. Use your brain. This game went almost how it should’ve. One was sharp, one wasn’t.

Roll Wave.
Agree with what you say there but just pointing out we had three scrimmages.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ccap05 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:52 am I was at the game with my seven year old son. It may not have been clear on TV, but one reason USA did so well is that their quarterback played an amazing game. He is, to say the least, height challenged but he had an amazing field awareness and ability to pick our defense. It was amusing to watch him because he was the smallest dude on the field, dwarfed by his own line. During plays he would actually jump up to see better downfield and sometimes throw on the jump. Our penetration during the first half was minimal and he wasn't really hit until the second half. After two or three tackles he lost his sharpness and USA quit moving.

Their new stadium is nice and properly sized. It would have been rocking without Covid limitations.

Their concessions suck. No microbrews, the high end beer is Michelob Ultra (whose advertising jingle is "When Natty is just not good enough") and the food selection was bafflingly limited - it was literally less in choice and quality than you might get at a t-ball concession stand).

There were a fair number of Tulane fans in light of how hard it was to get tickets due to Covid restrictions. My guess is that half of our fans were family members. Tulane should consider having cokes and hot dogs for the family after close games to foster the Tulane family feeling. For two hundred bucks Tulane could have made this an epic night for the family members; a gesture that would probably go far in future recruiting.

As a final observation, the first athletic event to be cancelled at USA due to COVID was the Tulane/USA baseball game. It is nice to be back.
Thanks for the recap. Glad you and your son got to take in a win. You're raising him right.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The slow starts have become a thing. Fritz is a process guy. Don't see him as a motivator . He either needs to come to on that or turn it over to Hall to take care of the motivation issue. It's got to stop.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and...Less Miles was at it again !!! losing to Coastal Carolina, at home by 15...way to go Less
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That Kansas job is a one-way ticket to coaching oblivion.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:45 pm That Kansas job is a one-way ticket to coaching oblivion.
but ya get to hang with Dorothy and ToTo, in a whirlwind friendship
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:01 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:45 pm That Kansas job is a one-way ticket to coaching oblivion.
but ya get to hang with Dorothy and ToTo, in a whirlwind friendship
ESPN article on the big win of the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers @ Lawrence, Kansas against the hapless JHawks of Les Miles. :D https://www.espn.com/college-football/r ... =401236658
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Make it two straight wins in Lawrence for the Chanticleers. That same Coastal Carolina team two seasons ago beat UAB 47-24, prompting many disparaging remarks on this forum about UAB. I remember warning people that we Tulane fans shouldn't look down our noses at anyone and getting poo-poo'd for it. The Blazers came back a week after their loss in Conway (SC) with a 31-24 defeat of our Green Wave.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:50 pm Make it two straight wins in Lawrence for the Chanticleers. That same Coastal Carolina team two seasons ago beat UAB 47-24, prompting many disparaging remarks on this forum about UAB. I remember warning people that we Tulane fans shouldn't look down our noses at anyone and getting poo-poo'd for it. The Blazers came back a week after their loss in Conway (SC) with a 31-24 defeat of our Green Wave.
A big weekend for the ‘Mighty Belt, and so glad USA was not part of it. :D
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Game review and Analysis with allegreta, barrios and company on The Current

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0491190959