College Football Week 1

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TXWave88
Surge

Overall, all games have been sloppy across the country. Loads of turnovers, tons of mistakes, etc. I would say that BYU and Army were the teams that came out and played a great game when the other team played a pathetically bad game. The rest were two teams making bad mistakes. This should have been expected. Preparation has been altered and then some games were just agreed to a couple weeks ago. Some of these schools getting a national stage week 1 was not a great thing for them. And yes, Southern Miss canned their coach during COVID season after 1 game so it has been a messy week 1. Tulane has to be ready to play Saturday. I do not mean that because I think South Alabama is Bama, but as we saw in the first games of the season, way too many mistakes that would have costs wins in normal weeks. We cannot have that happen. We play a clean game and we come out 1-0.

Here is my recap for AAC so far (not worth $.02 probably) ...

SMU @ TX St - SMU looked worse than expected and TX St looked better than expected. Their offense had some creativity, but the SMU turnovers kept them in the game. SMU RB fumbles on the 1 yard line..... If that doesnt happen, game probably changes and it becomes a bigger spread of victory ( I know TX St turned it over like 2-3 plays later, but just kept giving them life). Buechele looked like Longhorn Buechele and not last year's Buechele. He did still throw for a bunch of yards though. I think they will get better as the season moves on and first game bad decisions will go away. SMU's D Line did look to be a weakness so something to watch for our running game.

Memphis vs Ark St - Another game with mistakes but they still have their QB Brady White. He is solid and will always put his team in a position to succeed. He threw an INT, but also threw 4 tds. My prediction is that Memphis will still be a tough game, but maybe they are a tick less than last year. Not having their RB is a big blow as he was a stud, but having their QB and still decent RB's, they will still be tough.

Navy vs BYU - Enough Said. Navy's Dline got manhandled. Never put up much of a fight. Losing a player like Malcolm Perry would hurt any team in our league, but at Navy it is huge. As of right now, they seem to be an option team, but the QB is not much of a threat. BYU dominated and hard to know if it was BYU's prep, Navy's inadequacies, or both.

Side Note: Watching the games with the safety precautions, I really do not predict big outbreaks of COVID because of the football games themselves. Obviously if there were crowds, there would be more risk for the spectators, but I really do not think you will see it with the players because of the games. I think the games can be played for the full season. Continue to test, follow the rules and play the games. I am curious to how some of these Big 10 and Pac 12 players will feel if the season is played in full? It would be very tough to watch half the teams playing while you were forced to sit at home and watch.

HoustonWave
Tsunami

Given this season's circumstances, I wouldn't expect a lot of coaching changes at the end of this year. That said, watch USM make a run at Will Hall.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm Given this season's circumstances, I wouldn't expect a lot of coaching changes at the end of this year. That said, watch USM make a run at Will Hall.
In the conversation
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 am I know it’s an excuse but actually a good reason for Navy’s performance. In the name of safety they did not scrimmage or even hit yet in practice. Not a good way to prepare a football team.
There you go.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wouldn’t Hall have higher aspirations than USM?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:46 am Wouldn’t Hall have higher aspirations than USM?
For someone coming up through the ranks, I think that would be a pretty good landing spot, given his in-state connections. It's unlikely he's in line for a "P" job at this time. Frankly, after watching the last 5 or 6 times we've taken the field, I feel it will be a lot less devastating if/when Hall leaves. Fritz has learned that his old option-based attack isn't going to work in the AAC as it's too plodding and lead to too many short offensive possessions. If Fritz stays the length of his extended contract or beyond, we can bet that Hall won't stick around that long, and Fritz will hire another OC with an innovative modern approach. Hall's best attributes I think lay in recruiting. If he gets hired away this year, I fear he may take some recruits (particularly the highly touted QB) with him.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:05 am
GreenLantern wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:46 am Wouldn’t Hall have higher aspirations than USM?
For someone coming up through the ranks, I think that would be a pretty good landing spot, given his in-state connections. It's unlikely he's in line for a "P" job at this time. Frankly, after watching the last 5 or 6 times we've taken the field, I feel it will be a lot less devastating if/when Hall leaves. Fritz has learned that his old option-based attack isn't going to work in the AAC as it's too plodding and lead to too many short offensive possessions. If Fritz stays the length of his extended contract or beyond, we can bet that Hall won't stick around that long, and Fritz will hire another OC with an innovative modern approach. Hall's best attributes I think lay in recruiting. If he gets hired away this year, I fear he may take some recruits (particularly the highly touted QB) with him.
Being that Howard only has 1 more year, I don't see a QB leaving after this year. Perhaps the non-winner of the Pratt/Ibieta battle for starter next year may eventually leave and follow Hall, if he is somewhere else by then.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 am Being that Howard only has 1 more year, I don't see a QB leaving after this year. Perhaps the non-winner of the Pratt/Ibieta battle for starter next year may eventually leave and follow Hall, if he is somewhere else by then.
The QB I referred to in my previous post isn't yet on campus and was much more heavily recruited than Pratt or Ibieta. Ty Keyes, out of Taylorsville, MS, had a slew of P5 offers from the likes of Nebraska, Oregon, Auburn and Mississippi State. Howard will be back next year, or at least he qualifies for the blanket additional year of eligibility.
gbgreenie
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:24 pm
anEngineer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 am Being that Howard only has 1 more year, I don't see a QB leaving after this year. Perhaps the non-winner of the Pratt/Ibieta battle for starter next year may eventually leave and follow Hall, if he is somewhere else by then.
The QB I referred to in my previous post isn't yet on campus and was much more heavily recruited than Pratt or Ibieta. Ty Keyes, out of Taylorsville, MS, had a slew of P5 offers from the likes of Nebraska, Oregon, Auburn and Mississippi State. Howard will be back next year, or at least he qualifies for the blanket additional year of eligibility.
This site has so much negatism and wasted energy, Hall is not leaving, Keyes is a solid recruit, had his major offers and turned them all down. Our biggest problem is not losing coaches or recruits. Only thing we need to worry about is when flu season merges with covid19 beginning in Oct. or Nov.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:19 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm Given this season's circumstances, I wouldn't expect a lot of coaching changes at the end of this year. That said, watch USM make a run at Will Hall.
In the conversation
Farve endorses Deion Sanders, currently an OC at a high school
https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/sto ... 798137002/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Really hoping for a big time showing from Houston (Vs Baylor) and UCF (vs GTech) this weekend or our conference is going to have a rough time getting any respect this year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:47 pm Really hoping for a big time showing from Houston (Vs Baylor) and UCF (vs GTech) this weekend or our conference is going to have a rough time getting any respect this year.
whatta ya mean...we are undeafeated vs the SBC...big12 can't say that
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:42 pm Farve endorses Deion Sanders, currently an OC at a high school
https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/sto ... 798137002/
As much as I loved Brett Favre as a Packer (he won me many fantasy football championships) he's not the sharpest arrow in the quiver. He's on the NFL channel on SiriusXM and says some things that are ridiculous, and some other things that leave you wondering what the heck he's trying to say! He also notoriously dissed Tulane Football in an early post-game interview comparing the NFL to College Football: "There's no Tulane's coming up on the schedule" is what he said. And it was too early in his career to write it off to his painkillers.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Hahaha, well I’m glad we’re going to kick the sh*t out of USM in a couple weeks. It will be fun to really drive how what having Tulane on the schedule means for super power USM
nawlinspete
Riptide

You are correct about the wasted energy and negativism here . Most of it comes from a poster living in the football wasteland that is the northeast . For years we have had to read about why Edsell is so much better than any of our coaches , how great UCF is , how we cannot recruit , and how we would be victim of late flips by anyone with a better offer .

This poster needs to stick to his beloved UCF and powerhouse UConn with its world class coach.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .