1931 Tulane Rose Bowl team

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Arguably the best Tulane team ever:

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2020/7 ... -bowl.aspx

The money earned from the Bowl appearance was used to build the Tulane Gym.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:01 pm Arguably the best Tulane team ever:

How much larger would it be if they won ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:56 pm

It used to seat 5,000. It shrunk when we brought basketball back as the fire marshal came in found many violations. That cut it to 3,600. Then they spent $10 million to shrink it to 3,200.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:45 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:56 pm

It used to seat 5,000. It shrunk when we brought basketball back as the fire marshal came in found many violations. That cut it to 3,600. Then they spent $10 million to shrink it to 3,200.
Hah, I know, and I’m fine with our arena until it’s packed. But i do wonder what the payout difference would have been had we won and if we would have actually gotten an even nicer place (nicer building infrastructure).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

a littel history..I ust found out that my r Hi Principle, Vernon "Lefty" Haynes coached Tulane to one of it's best seasons...he also play football for Tulane.
he was a fixture at the Metry Jr Hi Basketball games ..the school is now named for him
https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/2016 ... -html.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devlin_Fieldhouse

https://tulanegreenwave.com/facilities/ ... ldhouse/11
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the links. As to the first one Johnny Arthurs still attends all of our home games all these years later. Great guy.

As to second it just repeats RD's lie as to seating. Lazy RD let the 3,200 number out in the programs when it first opened. When it started getting talked about the next season it was listed at 4,000 capacity.
MicMan
Swell

great team, but playing in that dump isn't helping the program. Beyond embarrassing for a D1 program at this point.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

“Tulane Gym was one of the largest in college basketball when it opened, even though there were no court-level seats at first. Tulane played host to the 1942 NCAA East Regional in the facility.”

Interesting Tid bit.

Micman, When we sell it out then we can start talking about expanding or rebuilding. There are great and respectable D1 venues with 5–7,000 seats, but we don’t need to worry about that yet (SMU, Houston, Gonzaga, UVM, Duquesne ).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Villanova seats 6,500.
Gonzaga 6,000
Houston’s new arena- 7,100
SMU- 7,000

Make us build something new Coach Hunter !
MicMan
Swell

"When we sell out" a 3200 seat arena...

That's a pretty low bar, what's taking so long?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What's taking so long is that playing in a HS gym makes it difficult to attract players that could get the program rolling again.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:30 am What's taking so long is that playing in a HS gym makes it difficult to attract players that could get the program rolling again.
The least inspiring gym I ever played in was located at St Aloysius Hi School, scenic NOLA...the floor was about 75 percent regulation in lenght and about 70 percent in width....the walls under the baskets had mats attached to protect you.. Aloysius had some damn good teams coached by Nick Revon, who later coached at my Alma mater East Jeff....two places I loved playing at, were DeLaSalle and Chalmette....not sure how the gym at Chalmette looks after Katrina but it was beautiful back in the day...DLS had their gym on the 2nd floor.. John Arthurs was a senior there, my first year at East Jeff
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:38 am
winwave wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:30 am What's taking so long is that playing in a HS gym makes it difficult to attract players that could get the program rolling again.
The least inspiring gym I ever played in was located at St Aloysius Hi School, scenic NOLA...the floor was about 75 percent regulation in lenght and about 70 percent in width....the walls under the baskets had mats attached to protect you.. Aloysius had some damn good teams coached by Nick Revon, who later coached at my Alma mater East Jeff....two places I loved playing at, were DeLaSalle and Chalmette....not sure how the gym at Chalmette looks after Katrina but it was beautiful back in the day...DLS had their gym on the 2nd floor.. John Arthurs was a senior there, my first year at East Jeff
Chalmette HS rebuilt after Katrina and have a nice gym still. As to DHS they were not the only one with an upstairs gym. Lourdes had one too.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:50 pm Chalmette HS rebuilt after Katrina and have a nice gym still.
CHS has also had a bunch of BP cash poured into it. It really looks nice.
God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:43 am "When we sell out" a 3200 seat arena...

We’re in year 2 with hunter. . . May need to wait a little longer.

Win, I see we have entered the chicken or the egg portion of this discussion. It is what it is - yes it’s not up to our peers but it’s also not something preventing us from winning at a reasonable level. Plenty have won more with less . . . Like coach hunter at all of his previous stops.
MicMan
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Win, I see we have entered the chicken or the egg portion of this discussion. It is what it is - yes it’s not up to our peers but it’s also not something preventing us from winning at a reasonable level. Plenty have won more with less . . . Like coach hunter at all of his previous stops.
Year 2!? That's not the kind of thinking on the board that helped get Yulman built!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Hunter has never won anything at this level. Nor has anyone else with less at this level. I don't know what your definition of reasonable level is but we better be seeking higher than just reasonable. That won't cut it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ummm...didn't Perry Clark win a VERY competitive (dare I say better than the AAC) C-USA?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:06 pm Ummm...didn't Perry Clark win a VERY competitive (dare I say better than the AAC) C-USA?
Good point CT. Win, Hunter hasn’t won at the D1 level ? How many ncaa tourneys has he made ? Maybe you can claim he had an easier path (although smaller margin for error), so let’s look at another metric - Has he ever beaten good OOC teams in those stops ? Has he ever won a game in the ncaa tourney ? I think you should ask #15 Baylor that question. He has done more with less- less tradition, lesser facilities and less financial resources.

(This is also one of the very few times we can say we have a superior culture of winning and more basketball tradition than another school)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:15 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:06 pm Ummm...didn't Perry Clark win a VERY competitive (dare I say better than the AAC) C-USA?
Good point CT. Win, Hunter hasn’t won at the D1 level ? How many ncaa tourneys has he made ? Maybe you can claim he had an easier path (although smaller margin for error), so let’s look at another metric - Has he ever beaten good OOC teams in those stops ? Has he ever won a game in the ncaa tourney ? I think you should ask #15 Baylor that question. He has done more with less- less tradition, lesser facilities and less financial resources.

(This is also one of the very few times we can say we have a superior culture of winning and more basketball tradition than another school)
The small gym (and sorry, but you cannot argue it was bigger because it lost 400 seats that were empty 99.9% of the time anyway) didn't seem to affect Perry's recruiting, which was stellar.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thirty years ago. How's it gone since then?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:15 pm

Bi- as to Perry that was 30 years ago. He was one of a few black head coaches which gave him an advantage. Even he saw the limits it put on the program and wanted better. He moved on. The program has stunk since.

As to Hunter he won in a low level D1 conference not one in a major conference. I'm hoping he will but he hasn't won at this level. Upsets happen. That doesn't prove the point at all. The gym is an issue.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:03 pm
Thirty years ago. How's it gone since then?
About as well as our coaches abilities would let them. Dunleavy didn't have a clue about the college game, and couldn't recruit, which was shocking, Conway was a teacher but not a good in-game coach and his recruiting was mediocre. Dickerson and Finney were not HC material and outclassed. So yes, in the TWENTY FIVE years since we went to the NCAA tournament, we've mostly stunk.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Just as the gym prevents us from getting top flight players it serves as the same deterrent to getting quality coaches.

There is something else extremely important to Perry's success that many forget. He was Kelly's choice and reported directly to Kelly. He could get in any players he wanted. Kelly was heavily invested in him being successful so he never told him no. That was after the Wally English JUCO debacle. That's when Tulane really clamped down on JC's and other transfers. That didn't apply to Perry.