N'Western 10 game- Big 10 only in 2020

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So it's very likely that we'll do the same and only play an AAC Schedule. Even that is going to be a tall order to fill this fall. I still don't think we're bringing most of the students back on campus. There's a high probability this season is not completed, if it even gets started. Not just Tulane or the AAC, but the entire football season at all levels is in jeopardy.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

A real bummer. We had a very good (and winnable) OOC schedule. Atleast we don’t have to play leaches miss state QB. Our streak of not beating a P5 will continue. The aac as a whole had some excellent and winnable P5 games as well.

What does this do for bowl eligibility ? Losing army, fcs and northwestern were probably 3 out of 5 of our most winnable games.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:56 pm A real bummer. We had a very good (and winnable) OOC schedule. Atleast we don’t have to play leaches miss state QB. Our streak of not beating a P5 will continue. The aac as a whole had some excellent and winnable P5 games as well.

What does this do for bowl eligibility ? Losing army, fcs and northwestern were probably 3 out of 5 of our most winnable games.
Northwestern would have been 10 point favorites. They're a year removed from the B1G championship game. They had a horrible season last year with 4 different QB's taking mostly ineffective snaps.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

You’re right, but I don’t think northwestern is even in our top 3 most difficult games. Most challenging to least challenging:

Ucf
Miss state
Memphis
Houston/Northwestern
SMU
Navy
Temple
Tulsa
ECU
Army
Fcs
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Play the scheduled conference games—then by week 10, if the virus is under control—very likely since the elections will be over—perhaps the AAC can add some more conference games—maybe structure an impromptu AAC playoff. Got to keep hoping.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sooner or later we're going to play a top FCS team and lose. There's not that much difference between the TRUE top FCS teams and the middle 40 in FBS. NDSU owns more wins against P5 schools and ranked schools this century than Tulane and at least half of the G5. I really wanted to see them play in Eugene, OR to open the season versus the Nike Ducks.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm Sooner or later we're going to play a top FCS team and lose. There's not that much difference between the TRUE top FCS teams and the middle 40 in FBS. NDSU owns more wins against P5 schools and ranked schools this century than Tulane and at least half of the G5. I really wanted to see them play in Eugene, OR to open the season versus the Nike Ducks.
That would have been fun. Uconn as an independent is going to be In a crazy position. With big 10 and acc playing only conference games uconn is down to 8 games already
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Looks like it is offiical...Big10 only games
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ports-fall
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:56 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm Sooner or later we're going to play a top FCS team and lose. There's not that much difference between the TRUE top FCS teams and the middle 40 in FBS. NDSU owns more wins against P5 schools and ranked schools this century than Tulane and at least half of the G5. I really wanted to see them play in Eugene, OR to open the season versus the Nike Ducks.
That would have been fun. Uconn as an independent is going to be In a crazy position. With big 10 and acc playing only conference games uconn is down to 8 games already
And they'll probably lose their game at Ole Miss also. Wonder how the contracts will work this. All the games UConn is losing are their money games. They were so uppity thinking that they'd make just as much money playing high profile P5 schools for paydays, as being in the conf. Now, their schedule will consist of mostly home games, against the likes of UMass, Old Dominion, Liberty, Maine, and Middle Tennessee St. Sure their fans can't wait to attend.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

The p5 schools have no interest playing non-conf home pay games with little to no fans as the gate justifies the payment.
It’s a business. Frankly the best business as employees are paid the min.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Hopefully Mr Dannen is already finalizing a deal with Iowa State for September 12 . Iowa State , too , is losing its game against Iowa .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 pm Hopefully Mr Dannen is already finalizing a deal with Iowa State for September 12 . Iowa State , too , is losing its game against Iowa .
and "Iowa" is saying "Thank Goodness and Good Ridance"
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Northern Iowa lost a game that day as well. Iowa St. is preferable, but N.Iowa is just as good but would be an ugly loss if we were not successful. Hopefully Dannen could get UNI to come to the Big Easy. We'd probably have to go to Ames to play Iowa State, but should get a payday. All this is nothing but talk, as we know nothing will be planned until both the Big 12 and AAC finalize plans.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Sadly, I've resigned myself to the idea that there will be no college football in 2020.

Does anyone know how much we were getting paid by Northwestern and Moo State? Is that money just gone now?
God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

As they were home and homes, We were probably getting a little but not much (NW is private, but I’m sure we could find out regarding MS State). I also don’t think we’ll be too aggressive in recouping money from them for that reason. The story in the advocate said TD was already trying to reschedule with NW. The Teams getting $1.5m-$3m (mostly G4 teams) will be aggressive and rightfully so. If these conferences do play a conference only schedule they should be forced to honor their contract.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What if we re-scheduled Miss St and bumped Morgan State in September of 2021. We'd open OK, MSU, Ole Miss, UAB before getting into the AAC schedule!! We'd know in a hurry if we're contenders or pretenders! Something tells me that we'll leave Morgan State in hopes of going 2-2 or 3-1. If we take them out, 1-3 would be quite possible. We might be the first G5 to play 3 straight P5's to open the season. Very unlikely, but fun to dream.

More likely is 2022. We open with UMass and Alcorn State at home before traveling to Kansas St and ending OOC play hosting USM. Other than K-State, any of those other three games, preferably UMass or Alcorn could be pushed out into the future. Ultimately, however the two games against P5 schools we're going to miss out this year probably will take 3-4 years to reschedule, and that will require moving other games around. If we don't move games, it will be the end of the decade before they can be re-scheduled. At least we should have fans in the stands by then.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

As an independent, isn’t Army still on our schedule? Has the SEC announced a conference-only schedule?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No they haven't.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:37 pm As an independent, isn’t Army still on our schedule? Has the SEC announced a conference-only schedule?
They have made public that they're considering an all conference schedule, but will not make any decisions until close to the end of the month.
DrBox
Riptide

We don't want to play Northern Iowa. Good lord.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:59 am We don't want to play Northern Iowa. Good lord.
Your'e right they might beat us and that wouldn't look good.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The highest likelihood (of us playing) is we follow suit and go to all conference as well. Although in a dream scenario we could look for a game @ Notre Dame or BYU.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:59 am The highest likelihood (of us playing) is we follow suit and go to all conference as well. Although in a dream scenario we could look for a game @ Notre Dame or BYU.
Now would be the time to make that call, if Troy thinks we're going to play and be allowed to play a non-conference opponent. Funny thing, I wrote to Matt Larsen, the AD at NDSU, saying they should replace the Oregon game (and payday) with a game in South Bend. I even gave him the number listed in the directory for Jack Swarbrick!

Troy if you need the number, it's (574) 631-6107.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ND has never played an FCS. Strange times so maybe. Same with the fact that if the ACC goes to a conference only schedule ND will likely be playing for their first conference championship.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.