New turf

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's in:

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Looks good, a real improvement over the Cow/Dick stuff.👍🏻
GreenLantern
Riptide

Looks great. Hope we get to see games played on it this fall.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Eh. I'd say it looks very average now. Whether you liked the checkerboards or alternating colors or not (I did), they were at least distinguishing in highlights, etc.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
nawlinspete
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:33 am Eh. I'd say it looks very average now. Whether you liked the checkerboards or alternating colors or not (I did), they were at least distinguishing in highlights, etc.
TOTALLY AGREE . We had a Tulane historical look , virtually unique (Tennessee) now nondescript run of the mill ordinary .

BRING BACK THE CHECKERBOARD .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm in agreement about the checkerboard end zones. Loved to hear Graf yell "Checkerboards" after a TD. Other than the end zones, I like the new field's fresh look. I was ambivalent about the two tone turf colors.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I was not a fan of the "checker boards"..I thougt it was a Tennessee imitation, with the history of NOLA., (whatever Mitch did not distroy), there had to be someting unique to put in the End Zones, and it was not checker or chess boards... I do like the new turf, I hated that two tone krap, it looked like part of the "grass" was dead..and the only good dead grass, is something you can roll, or get oil out of
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

The new field "looks college," & that is quite appropriate since we are college.
TXWave88
Surge

I like it. No other school have that blue on the field (or as a color). UNC is close, but this is a bit more electric blue looking than UNC's duller Carolina Blue. Only change I would have made is I would have made the lettering in the Endzone match the green of the Angry Wave.

I also liked Graf's "checkerboards" except we don't have Graf anymore. Graf was by far the best thing Tulane football had going for it for a long time.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

TXWave88 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:16 am I like it. No other school have that blue on the field (or as a color). UNC is close, but this is a bit more electric blue looking than UNC's duller Carolina Blue. Only change I would have made is I would have made the lettering in the Endzone match the green of the Angry Wave.

I also liked Graf's "checkerboards" except we don't have Graf anymore. Graf was by far the best thing Tulane football had going for it for a long time.
Agree with you TX, the font leaves something to be desired- why not use angry font. Anyway I hope to see some P5 upsets and conference championships on that field soon
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:22 am
TXWave88 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:16 am I like it. No other school have that blue on the field (or as a color). UNC is close, but this is a bit more electric blue looking than UNC's duller Carolina Blue. Only change I would have made is I would have made the lettering in the Endzone match the green of the Angry Wave.

Agree with you TX, the font leaves something to be desired- why not use angry font. Anyway I hope to see some P5 upsets and conference championships on that field soon
why not "Tulane" in one end zone.."Green Wave" in the other
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 am why not "Tulane" in one end zone.."Green Wave" in the other
With a shadow of the City skyline across both end zones?

I hated the two toned field but loved the checkerboard end zones. Overall this is an improvement. But without the shadow of the City skyline, I'd prefer checkerboards. I don't give a hoot that Tennessee has them as well. It's hard for me to complain, though, as there was a contest, and I did not submit an entry. Mostly due to lack of Graf-fical skills. Graphics are not my strong point.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:47 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 am why not "Tulane" in one end zone.."Green Wave" in the other

I hated the two toned field but loved the checkerboard end zones. Overall this is an improvement. But without the shadow of the City skyline, I'd prefer checkerboards. I don't give a hoot that Tennessee has them as well. It's hard for me to complain, though, as there was a contest, and I did not submit an entry. Mostly due to lack of Graf-fical skills. Graphics are not my strong point.
Yes. I agree. Didn’t like the dead grass look but loved the checkerboards.
A skyline would be nice but Tulane should be in one EZ.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:11 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:47 am

Yes. I agree. Didn’t like the dead grass look but loved the checkerboards.
A skyline would be nice but Tulane should be in one EZ.
Let's make sure we get the "dome" in the skyline !!!
Wave755
Tsunami

:D And, happy to report no "metallic lime green" to be seen anywhere for the design.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Looks like the same picture that was posted a week ago.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thanks BigSteve. That was fun to watch. I hope to hell it gets played on with meaningful Green Wave games soon.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:52 pm Thanks BigSteve. That was fun to watch. I hope to hell it gets played on with meaningful Green Wave games soon.
Thanks Steve...if only that west side an upper deck, it would be a very impressive "shoe box type stadium"..the type visiting teams hate going to
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:52 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:52 pm Thanks BigSteve. That was fun to watch. I hope to hell it gets played on with meaningful Green Wave games soon.
Thanks Steve...if only that west side an upper deck, it would be a very impressive "shoe box type stadium"..the type visiting teams hate going to
+1,000. And with an upper west deck and wrap around northern deck, it wouldn't look like a high school stadium.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Too bad Tulane tossed the old turf. I would have paid $100 for piece of the checkerboard end zone. Big miss there on fund raising. . I still have my brick and seat from old Tulane stadium.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:52 pm
Real talk, if Tulane organized the frats/srats to trade their houses for this row on Audobon, how much extra cash would it cost? I know the community would push back but let's assume president Fitts has the political will/tact that CowDick lacked.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:23 am Real talk, if Tulane organized the frats/srats to trade their houses for this row on Audobon, how much extra cash would it cost? I know the community would push back but let's assume president Fitts has the political will/tact that CowDick lacked.
While the concept and thinking out of the box is commendable, there's no way in hell it's going to happen. The neighborhoods are nowhere near comparable. And you're talking about majestic old mostly restored mansions in a very private neighborhood compared to run down dumps mostly on Broadway or within a block of Broadway. I'm sure you locals know more than I do. But it seems to me that Tulane winning the MNC by getting into and winning the Playoff is more likely to happen than swapping Audubon houses for Frat houses.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:20 am Too bad Tulane tossed the old turf. I would have paid $100 for piece of the checkerboard end zone. Big miss there on fund raising. . I still have my brick and seat from old Tulane stadium.
+1. I would have bought a piece of the checkerboards as well.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I also wonder if this isn't part of the reason for the change. Graf's "checkerboards" was iconic. Andrew didn't use that phrase last year. I wonder if by eliminating them its a way to help us move on from Graf.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson